Greetings, new Jets fan here...

44 minutes ago, fumblerooskie said:

Welcome Hystorm, from a fellow new member at JN, and lifelong Jet fan.

May your Jets fandom be filled with many wonderful winning seasons, Super Bowl victories, and beating the Dolphins, Pats and Bills twice a year, every year for the rest of your life.....?

Interesting history on supposed Mormon polygamy, it's amazing how a stereotype can survive for so long. 

Ditto on the welcome. 

Interesting observation on the enduring stereotypes. Considering my somewhat strained relationship with my one "ex", I can't fathom how some folks think having a bunch of spouses is going to be an improvement ...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

Maybe wait until a BYU fan does something obnoxious? I don’t know. Most obnoxious comments in the thread so far are yours and @More Cowbell‘s. 

Color me shocked....

@Hystorm

Some of us are trolls (myself included, all in good fun) and some of us are just dumb and obnoxious.... It should be easy to figure out who is which. 

Some people actually want to have semi meaningful conversation.... I feel bad for them considering the nature of this beast but I too sometimes engage in rational thought myself.

Overall a fun bunch around here, minus quite a few invalids and troglodytes.

Welcome ... And good luck getting out.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Hystorm said:

In 2018, I began following the NFL for the first time in my life.

I'm in my mid 50's and have been a BYU Football fan since age 8.

In 2018, I began following Taysom Hill and the Saints. Now, I fully plan on also following the Jets.

No doubt in my mind there will be thousands more like myself as we don't have an NFL team in Utah.

I feel It's going to be a fun year.

Go Jets!!

Welcome!

I had a vision in which God came down after 50 years of torture and gave the Jets the greatest quarterback who ever lived.   Zach is The One.

If you're ever in town and need tickets, PM me.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hystorm said:

In 2018, I began following Taysom Hill and the Saints. Now, I fully plan on also following the Jets.

No doubt in my mind there will be thousands more like myself as we don't have an NFL team in Utah.

Go Jets!!

Prepare to be disappointed.

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I was thinking of “going there” but decided against it. You Should have given it 10 more seconds of consideration!?

There was this TV show called sister wives where this Mormon had about 4 different  wives all living in different homes and he rotated around during the week. That's  where I learned about it. Never heard of it before that. 

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Are you in Provo? I love the desert and have thought of going out that way when I retire. Desert, amazing nature and geography,  clear skies, skiing, and all the 3.2% beer I can drink!

? 

We’ve come a long way…no more 3.2%, real beer is here 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, peebag said:

Prepare to be disappointed.

Well, I lived through the latter years of coach Mendenhall and new coach Kalani.

Those years were freaking just wrong, all kinds of wrong in the sense that BYU SUCKED for about 4-5 years!!

So...been there with a team so bad that I don't even want to watch and even convinced myself that...I don't need football...

4 hours ago, Hystorm said:

On that note and for the sake of education, Mormons are not Polygamists. They were when they 'moved' to Utah back in the early 1800's, before Utah was a state, etc.

However, since it was against the law in the U.S. and the current U.S. President at that time sent an army to arrest anyone practicing Poly, Brigham Young signed a declaration outlawing the practice. That was back around 1830's or so I'm guessing. I'm not a Mormon but have lived here my whole life and know a ton about them. The members that were not OK with this new declaration, left the church and moved to Mexico and other areas. They are called: The fundamentalist's or Mormon Fundamentalists. They are indeed anti-Mormon and have nothing to do with the actual church in any way. Those against religion are always trying to hang the polyg crap on the Mormon church. I find it a bit funny as the co-workers and neighbors I know that are Mormon are amazing, cool and down to earth people!

On the other note, from what I've read and heard, the Wilson family is pushing for #2. Don't think anything is in stone yet.

One thing you must learn when you come on this site, is that people will throw out "facts" without really knowing whether it actually is a fact or not.  Not everyone does their research, and therefore, no need to take everyone seriously.  

Thank you for the history lesson, but really not necessary.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

There was this TV show called sister wives where this Mormon had about 4 different  wives all living in different homes and he rotated around during the week. That's  where I learned about it. Never heard of it before that. 

Not a Mormon but a Fundamentalist...

If he was an LDS member, he would be instantly Excommunicated from the church!

Understand, if a person calls themselves: LDS, they are not polygamists, but a true Mormon Christian.

If they call themselves: Mormon, be very leary of them and what they are trying to push....

Understand, true Mormons have been asked by the current President to call themselves LDS and Get The Freak Away from the term Mormon. Now you know why, because the world associates the word Mormon with Polygamy which is just wrong on sooo many levels...

On another note...I find it rather strange that I'm explaining and somewhat defending the LDS church when I've never had anything to do with them but I guess education comes in all kinds of forms...

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Not cool guy.   Let's make the guy feel wolcome.

Why?

I feel no particular sense of duty to be overly nice to Johnny-come-lately BYU Fans, anymore than I felt it towards the now-long-gone Pretty-Boy-USC Fans when Sam was drafted, or any other "we're here only because we like some college kid from our school" Fans.  

They're not Jets Fans.  Just like former JN short-timers like "USCFanSamisSoDreamy" was never a Jets Fan. 

Wilson being here with us now doesn't make them Jets Fans.  They're Wilson Fans.  Which is fine, but neither side needs to pretend they're Jets Fans.  If Wilson sucks, or leaves, they'll be long gone.  That's not a Jets Fan.

JMO.  

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Hystorm said:

Go Jets!!

So, you're more of a BYU than a New York Jets fan?  I had to look up Taysom Hill and I see he's a BYU alum as well.  Let me ask you, if Wilson falls flat on his face and the Jets jettison him like they did Darnold, is that the end of your New York Jets fandom?  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why?

I feel no particular sense of duty to be overly nice to Johnny-come-lately BYU Fans, anymore than I felt it towards the now-long-gone Pretty-Boy-USC Fans when Sam was drafted, or any other "we're here only because we like some college kid from our school" Fans.  T

They're not Jets Fans.  Just like former JN short-timers like "USCFanSamisSoDreamy" was never a Jets Fan. 

Wilson being here with us now doesn't make them Jets Fans.  They're Wilson Fans.  Which is fine, but neither side needs to pretend they're Jets Fans.  If Wilson sucks, or leaves, they'll be long gone.  That's not a Jets Fan.

JMO.  

1*xYyEpqsRSWlqeP3pkzPXwQ.gif (268×202) (medium.com)

13 minutes ago, Hystorm said:

Well, I lived through the latter years of coach Mendenhall and new coach Kalani.

Those years were freaking just wrong, all kinds of wrong in the sense that BYU SUCKED for about 4-5 years!!

So...been there with a team so bad that I don't even want to watch and even convinced myself that...I don't need football...

Not trying to scare you off or anything, but the Jets have sucked for most of the last 40-50 years.  A couple of good runs here and there, but mostly bad football sicne 68.  We have just finished the second playoff-less decade in our history.  1970s and 2010s.  And I am old enough to have suffered through both.

That said, right now, thanks to Zach, and Douglas and Saleh, the narrative around the team seems to be changning.  There is reason for hope -- looks like we are headed in the right direction and finally building the right way.  But as you spend more time on the board you will see that we are a skeptical bunch.  I have to see them do it on the field before I will fully give in to the optimism and excitement of the new regime.

Anyway, welcome to the board.  Hopefully you are here for the start of a reversal of our fortunes.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Hystorm said:

As a total side note...I used to work for Robert Redford.

I was his IT guy @ Sundance Catalog. First time I met him, I was asked to setup his WiFi network at his residence @ Sundance resort.
When I was done, he fed me dinner, just he and I at the table. The guy is indeed as cool as he seems!

I miss that position and job...

My wife would have pitched me into a raging fire to trade jobs with you to meet the golden-haired one.  

Terrific story.   I have bought said wife many trinkets and clothing from that catalog.  (Great looking models in it, too.) Very nice selection of quality items.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Hystorm said:

Welcome.

Happy to have you here...

It's been tough goings around here for the past half century or so..

But I think everything has changed - we have the right - GM, HC, QB trifecta....That's how you build dynasty's...

You came at the right time!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hystorm said:

Go Jets!!

Welcome

I think your about to find out why New Yorkers are loved  all across the nation.

:)  

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why?

I feel no particular sense of duty to be overly nice to Johnny-come-lately BYU Fans, anymore than I felt it towards the now-long-gone Pretty-Boy-USC Fans when Sam was drafted, or any other "we're here only because we like some college kid from our school" Fans.  

JMO.  

My mother used to say, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." 

I have this feeling like your mom would say, "if you ever have a cantankerous thought, make sure you get it out there!" 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Hystorm said:

Go Jets!!

Do you have a strong constitution ?

59 minutes ago, Hystorm said:

tell me more the office GIF

24 minutes ago, slats said:

My mother used to say, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." 

I have this feeling like your mom would say, "if you ever have a cantankerous thought, make sure you get it out there!" 

If someone posted something like that to you, I doubt you'd like it much slats.  So why don't you go ahead and leave my mom out of it, eh?

Listen, I'm not going to go out of my way to be rude to our new friends, but nor will I pretend they've been loyal Jets Fans the last 40 years like many of us.

They're here for Wilson and Wilson alone, like Sam Fans were here for Sam and Sam alone before them. Hopefully they'll a bit less insufferable than the Sam Fans were.

No sin in that, but lets all be honest about why we're here.

Most of us are here for our beloved Jets.  They're not.

Now, get off my yard, I got some yell'in to do.

DizWWkNWkAA-aIv.jpg

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Hystorm said:

Go Jets!!

I applaud your newfound misguided loyalty. At the same time I implore you to look at the dead in our eyes and the despair in our tone. Is that really what you want out of life or at least on Sundays? Many of us were born into this and brainwashed by those in our families who came before us. Many of us will force it on our children continuing a vicious cycle. You still have the option to walk away. This isn't a fan base for the meek. However, being a Jets fan builds character.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If someone posted something like that to you, I doubt you'd like it much slats.  So why don't you go ahead and leave my mom out of it, eh?

Listen, I'm not going to go out of my way to be rude to our new friends, but nor will I pretend they've been loyal Jets Fans the last 40 years like many of us.

They're here for Wilson and Wilson alone, like Sam Fans were here for Sam and Sam alone before them. Hopefully they'll a bit less insufferable than the Sam Fans were.

DizWWkNWkAA-aIv.jpg

My apologies, Buddy. I was strictly going for the laugh. Clearly underestimated just how deep the cantankerous runs. :D 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Why?

JMO.  

Everyone should get good-humored welcome ribbing.  I'm just not into bashing guys based on their religion.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

DizWWkNWkAA-aIv.jpg

1 hour ago, slats said:

My apologies, Buddy. I was strictly going for the laugh. Clearly underestimated just how deep the cantankerous runs. :D 

Come on, you know damn well these fly by night Jet fans join this forum for their own personal agenda...I remember when we had a whole bunch of Clemens fans who all of a sudden became Jets fans...where are they today?  I root for the laundry of my teams and if it's someone that went to my school, family member or friend all the merrier.  How about this then for the new guy.  Hey, welcome to the Jets, are you going to purchase a Wilson jersey?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

Lol, we're all good brother, always have been.  Happy to wear my cantankarinocerous with pride.