Greetings, new Jets fan here...

3 hours ago, Hystorm said:

Well, I lived through the latter years of coach Mendenhall and new coach Kalani.

Those years were freaking just wrong, all kinds of wrong in the sense that BYU SUCKED for about 4-5 years!!

So...been there with a team so bad that I don't even want to watch and even convinced myself that...I don't need football...

That’s invaluable experience for being a new JETS fan. Will come in handy over the next couple of years.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hystorm said:

Not a Mormon but a Fundamentalist...

If he was an LDS member, he would be instantly Excommunicated from the church!

Understand, if a person calls themselves: LDS, they are not polygamists, but a true Mormon Christian.

If they call themselves: Mormon, be very leary of them and what they are trying to push....

Understand, true Mormons have been asked by the current President to call themselves LDS and Get The Freak Away from the term Mormon. Now you know why, because the world associates the word Mormon with Polygamy which is just wrong on sooo many levels...

On another note...I find it rather strange that I'm explaining and somewhat defending the LDS church when I've never had anything to do with them but I guess education comes in all kinds of forms...

It was an an old show but they represented themselves  as Mormons. They even had scenes where he would speak to church elders. It could all have been an act. Anyway, I wish you better luck with this team than I had. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

It was an an old show but they represented themselves  as Mormons. They even had scenes where he would speak to church elders. It could all have been an act. Anyway, I wish you better luck with this team than I had. 

There remain extremist offshoot groups.  Mainstream Mormons are not polygamists.

...and ftr, I've hated BYU since one of their LBers laid a dirty hit on Sam Bradford years ago, and they proceded to celebrate over an injured player like they just won a natty. Terrible display for a team that's "supposed" to have some honor n sj*t

Welcome @Hystorm!

As plenty others have politely pointed out, you're in for some rough times as a Jets fan.

Besides that, sorry ya gotta deal with the whole Mormon/polygamy thing.  But yeah, most don't know much about Utah.

I spent a couple years (2004 - 2006) going to school out there.  Mostly in Sandy and Draper (Wilson's hometown I believe).  

1.  The mountains, camping and fishing are freakin amazing out there.  Felt like I was in a Coors Light commercial fishing with snow-capped mountains around me.  Only problem was I couldn't drink any beer because the fish would bite within 30 seconds of tossing the line out.

2.  Beer.  Wtf?  That 3.2% thing is just wrong.  They need to make that known.  I didn't find that out until after I was moved in.  We'd have to drive over to that border Wyoming town to stock up on beer every couple weeks.  Or occasionally Wendover NV.  Ha, surprised we didn't get caught driving back with the muffler scraping the ground from the weight.

3.  Port O Call.  Not sure how old ya are, but that was the best bar in SLC.  One of the best anywhere actually.  Even had Vortex (more of a club) across the street for a change of pace.  Made for some great nights.  Shortly after I left though, I heard the "government" (church) closed 'em down and made it a courthouse I think.  Was really sad to hear that.  Any other good spots in SLC now?

Great area and people though.  Looking forward to heading back soon to visit some old friends.

Welcome again, and cheers!

10 hours ago, Hystorm said:

In 2018, I began following the NFL for the first time in my life.

I'm in my mid 50's and have been a BYU Football fan since age 8.

In 2018, I began following Taysom Hill and the Saints. Now, I fully plan on also following the Jets.

No doubt in my mind there will be thousands more like myself as we don't have an NFL team in Utah.

I feel It's going to be a fun year.

Go Jets!!

It's not too late to pick another team to root for. You'll thank me later. 

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

I wonder if any of the many USC Fans who joined after Sam was drafted are still here.

so that explains these die hard Sam fans. i never thought about that.

explains why we have some guys here who said they would be rooting for Sam to do well when if he does is just another knock on the team there suppose to be rooting for.

i saw a guy here last week with Sam in a Carolina uniform on his avatar...

17 minutes ago, doitny said:

so that explains these die hard Sam fans. i never thought about that.

explains why we have some guys here who said they would be rooting for Sam to do well when if he does is just another knock on the team there suppose to be rooting for.

i saw a guy here last week with Sam in a Carolina uniform on his avatar...

I'm still rooting for Sam.  Dude got complete sh*t around him for 3 years, yet never complained.  Class act I hope does well in Carolina. 

But when the Jets play the Panthers this year, ya better believe I'll be rooting for Sam to be seeing ghosts again.

13 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I'm still rooting for Sam.  Dude got complete sh*t around him for 3 years, yet never complained.  Class act I hope does well in Carolina. 

But when the Jets play the Panthers this year, ya better believe I'll be rooting for Sam to be seeing ghosts again.

yeah but dont you think that if sam does well were not going to hear sh*t?

same old Jets. dont know what there doing...

even if Wilson is good, were going to hear crap about not keeping sam and drafting Pitts or whoever. 

if Wilson is bad, which we wont really know for a few years at least we got trading Sam right.

plus i would like that 2nd rd pick to be at the top of the round and not in the middle or end. that could turn out to be a sweet player if Sam burns and drags Carolina with him.

15 hours ago, Hystorm said:

In 2018, I began following Taysom Hill and the Saints. Now, I fully plan on also following the Jets.

No doubt in my mind there will be thousands more like myself as we don't have an NFL team in Utah.

Go Jets!!

Welcome. Let’s just say you’re a BYU fan. Cuz no one in their right mind would want to be a Jets fan. Posters around here, myself included, are born with a fandom defect, aka die hard fans of a terrible organization for decades. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, doitny said:

yeah but dont you think that if sam does well were not going to hear sh*t?

same old Jets. dont know what there doing...

even if Wilson is good, were going to hear crap about not keeping sam and drafting Pitts or whoever. 

if Wilson is bad, which we wont really know for a few years at least we got trading Sam right.

plus i would like that 2nd rd pick to be at the top of the round and not in the middle or end. that could turn out to be a sweet player if Sam burns and drags Carolina with him.

Well I expect Sam to do well if given a legit shot.  The Jets never gave him that.

I (as GM) would have kept Sam.  Traded down.  Got extra 1sts in 2022 and 23.  And used both 1sts this year on oline.  AVT and Jenkins?  Then also had both 3rd rounders this year.

So if the Jets get ragged-on for failing to realize Sam's potential, they deserve it.

I'm not saying Wilson won't be good.  He's promising.  And I hope he'll be great.

Edit:  Deciding to trade Sam and draft Wilson cost us another 1st round starting olinemen, two 3rd rounders this year...  and 1sts rounders in '22 n '23.  

JD's job is tied to Wilson doing VERY well.  Let's hope Wilson is worth it.

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

I feel no particular sense of duty to be overly nice to Johnny-come-lately BYU Fans . . . They're not Jets Fans . . . Wilson being here with us now doesn't make them Jets Fans.  They're Wilson Fans.  Which is fine, but neither side needs to pretend they're Jets Fans.  If Wilson sucks, or leaves, they'll be long gone.  That's not a Jets Fan.

19 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

So, you're more of a BYU than a New York Jets fan?  . . .  Let me ask you, if Wilson falls flat on his face and the Jets jettison him like they did Darnold, is that the end of your New York Jets fandom?  . . . Come on, you know damn well these fly by night Jet fans join this forum for their own personal agenda

[quote] [b]freestater[/b] If you're here because you love a certain player rather than the Green 'n White, you'll end up getting what you deserve. [/quote]

You're all correct as far as real, died-in-the-wool fans go. Still, fans all have to have their beginning somewhere, right? I'm from SW Chicago, but I'm actually an Orioles fan (which didn't sit well with White Sox or Cubs fans) --- I got that from my dad, who has always been a fan since the 60s. The Orioles compare somewhat with the Jets' postseason futility since the 90s --- it's been a long drought.

I'm another BYU fan who's started really following the Jets since the draft. Yes, I want Wilson and the Jets to do well, but I also like underdogs and I really like what I'm seeing from the "new management" with the Jets. The Jets are an underdog I can really get behind. If Wilson doesn't pan out, I will still want the Douglas/Saleh teams to do well because of what I've observed during the last several months. It would be really exciting for this team to gather momentum and become a special team in the annals of the NFL, because of the vision and attitude of management, coaches, and players. 

I'm much more of a "fan" of the Jets than I am for the Bills, because of Wilson, but I've also been following and pulling for the Bills because of Josh Allen. I also liked him out of college --- especially with the naysayers. But, hands down, I want the Jets to sweep the Bills in head-to-head. 

All of you true, OG fans are a category of your own, because your team is your team through thick and thin. Some of the less-committed fans who join for various reasons along the way become true fans. Like I said, they all have to start somewhere.

40 minutes ago, Moin Moin said:

Still, fans all have to have their beginning somewhere, right?

Yes.

At age 10, at the latest.  Maybe 12, if we're being nice.

I'm from SW Chicago, but I'm actually an Orioles fan (which didn't sit well with White Sox or Cubs fans)

Doesn't sit too well with us either.  Your owner is a corrupt, MASN-manipulating toolbag of the highest order.

That's right.  We got our EYES on you now, O's Fan.

Rfae8aaeb0f229af7b214eab0c48e9812?rik=na

I'm another BYU fan who's started really following the Jets since the draft. Yes, I want Wilson and the Jets to do well, but I also like underdogs and I really like what I'm seeing from the "new management" with the Jets. The Jets are an underdog I can really get behind. If Wilson doesn't pan out, I will still want the Douglas/Saleh teams to do well because of what I've observed during the last several months. It would be really exciting for this team to gather momentum and become a special team in the annals of the NFL, because of the vision and attitude of management, coaches, and players. 

I'm much more of a "fan" of the Jets than I am for the Bills, because of Wilson, but I've also been following and pulling for the Bills because of Josh Allen. I also liked him out of college --- especially with the naysayers. But, hands down, I want the Jets to sweep the Bills in head-to-head. 

All of you true, OG fans are a category of your own, because your team is your team through thick and thin. Some of the less-committed fans who join for various reasons along the way become true fans. Like I said, they all have to start somewhere.

It's fine, don't stress.  Root if you like, however you like, for whomever you like.  

Ignore crotchety actually-not-as-old-as-they-sometimes-seem guys like me.  I just can't forget the USC folks who joined up during the "lol Sam Era", a few of whom came in and started telling lifelong Jets Fans how things were, and how Sam was going to save our all-but-moribund Franchise.

Respect that some of us here have lived and died with these horrible Jets for going on half a century or more, and we'll all be fine.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes.

At age 10, at the latest.  Maybe 12, if we're being nice.

Mine was from even younger. I still remember threading an earpiece up my sleeve to listen to a World Series game in '83 at school (back when they played some post-season games during the day). I was 8.

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Doesn't sit too well with us either.  Your owner is a corrupt, MASN-manipulating toolbag of the highest order.

That's right.  We got our EYES on you now, O's Fan.

Ha, ha! I'm definitely more of a fan out of nostalgia, and not "what have you done for me lately." Major league baseball has changed a lot, and I liked it better "back then," but I'm an honorary Boomer (I'm 46, but I'm a crotchety old-timer in a lot of ways. My 5th hour class even made me a plaque last year. I teach high school German --- hence the Plattdeutsch avatar). 

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's fine, don't stress.  Root if you like, however you like, for whomever you like.  

Ignore crotchety actually-not-as-old-as-they-sometimes-seem guys like me.  I just can't forget the USC folks who joined up during the "lol Sam Era", a few of whom came in and started telling lifelong Jets Fans how things were, and how Sam was going to save our all-but-moribund Franchise.

Respect that some of us here have lived and died with these horrible Jets for going on half a century or more, and we'll all be fine.

Respect given, and roger that. 

I'll put in for a plaque for you next year . . . ?

Best Boomer.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moin Moin said:

You're all correct as far as real, died-in-the-wool fans go. Still, fans all have to have their beginning somewhere, right? I'm from SW Chicago, but I'm actually an Orioles fan (which didn't sit well with White Sox or Cubs fans) --- I got that from my dad, who has always been a fan since the 60s. The Orioles compare somewhat with the Jets' postseason futility since the 90s --- it's been a long drought.

I also live in the Chicago area.  If you are interested, during the season, a bunch of us get together in a bar in Wrigleyville to watch the games.  Probably have 100+ Jets fans for week 1 and when the team does well.  Far smaller number as the season goes on when we struggle.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

There was this TV show called sister wives where this Mormon had about 4 different  wives all living in different homes and he rotated around during the week. That's  where I learned about it. Never heard of it before that. 

never understood wanting multiple wives.  I can't stand having one.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

I also live in the Chicago area.  If you are interested, during the season, a bunch of us get together in a bar in Wrigleyville to watch the games.  Probably have 100+ Jets fans for week 1 and when the team does well.  Far smaller number as the season goes on when we struggle.

I'm actually in Arizona now --- high school was in Chicagoland. 

Are you from there originally? I also wasn't a Bears fan when I lived there. 

14 minutes ago, Moin Moin said:

I'm actually in Arizona now --- high school was in Chicagoland. 

Are you from there originally? I also wasn't a Bears fan when I lived there. 

Gotcha.  I grew up on Long Island.  Been out here in Chicagoland for about 20 years.

2 hours ago, Moin Moin said:

[quote] [b]freestater[/b] If you're here because you love a certain player rather than the Green 'n White, you'll end up getting what you deserve. [/quote]

Fair enough. Welcome aboard. Good luck, only the strong survive.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Welcome @Hystorm!

As plenty others have politely pointed out, you're in for some rough times as a Jets fan.

Besides that, sorry ya gotta deal with the whole Mormon/polygamy thing.  But yeah, most don't know much about Utah.

I spent a couple years (2004 - 2006) going to school out there.  Mostly in Sandy and Draper (Wilson's hometown I believe).  

1.  The mountains, camping and fishing are freakin amazing out there.  Felt like I was in a Coors Light commercial fishing with snow-capped mountains around me.  Only problem was I couldn't drink any beer because the fish would bite within 30 seconds of tossing the line out.

2.  Beer.  Wtf?  That 3.2% thing is just wrong.  They need to make that known.  I didn't find that out until after I was moved in.  We'd have to drive over to that border Wyoming town to stock up on beer every couple weeks.  Or occasionally Wendover NV.  Ha, surprised we didn't get caught driving back with the muffler scraping the ground from the weight.

3.  Port O Call.  Not sure how old ya are, but that was the best bar in SLC.  One of the best anywhere actually.  Even had Vortex (more of a club) across the street for a change of pace.  Made for some great nights.  Shortly after I left though, I heard the "government" (church) closed 'em down and made it a courthouse I think.  Was really sad to hear that.  Any other good spots in SLC now?

Great area and people though.  Looking forward to heading back soon to visit some old friends.

Welcome again, and cheers!

Port o call is gone as is 3.2% and is now a govt building. The previous owners opened Gracies which is good. The Break in West Valley and Herriman are great places to watch and have an awesome golf tourney, makeshift bars set up every few holes. From CT but have been in Utah since 99’ and the changes over the years have been great. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, freestater said:

...and ftr, I've hated BYU since one of their LBers laid a dirty hit on Sam Bradford years ago, and they proceeded to celebrate over an injured player like they just won a natty. Terrible display for a team that's "supposed" to have some honor n sj*t

It was a clean play, and there wasn't any excessive celebration or taunting. Timestamp 3:18

On that note and for the sake of education, Mormons are not Polygamists. They were when they 'moved' to Utah back in the early 1800's, before Utah was a state, etc.
However, since it was against the law in the U.S. and the current U.S. President at that time sent an army to arrest anyone practicing Poly, Brigham Young signed a declaration outlawing the practice. That was back around 1830's or so I'm guessing. I'm not a Mormon but have lived here my whole life and know a ton about them. The members that were not OK with this new declaration, left the church and moved to Mexico and other areas. They are called: The fundamentalist's or Mormon Fundamentalists. They are indeed anti-Mormon and have nothing to do with the actual church in any way. Those against religion are always trying to hang the polyg crap on the Mormon church. I find it a bit funny as the co-workers and neighbors I know that are Mormon are amazing, cool and down to earth people!
On the other note, from what I've read and heard, the Wilson family is pushing for #2. Don't think anything is in stone yet.

Up to the late 1980’s Mormons/ LDS thought BLACK PEOPLE were cursed by God with dark skin, calling it “ the mark of Cain” by virtue of being dark skinned.

Mormonism’s past is steeped in racism.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Moin Moin said:

It was a clean play, and there wasn't any excessive celebration or taunting. Timestamp 3:18

No. It wasn't. Ball clearly left his hand and LB drives his weight into him onto the turf. What your highlight reel doesn't show is the sideline celebration afterward. Classless and reprehensible. BYU in a nutshell. 

1 hour ago, DLJ said:

Up to the late 1980’s Mormons/ LDS thought BLACK PEOPLE were cursed with the mark of Cain by virtue of being dark skinned.

Mormonism’s past is steeped in racism.

This is irrefutable. Despite their attempts to cleanse their image recently, they still believe in discrimination and their latest targets are the LGBTQ community. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 5/6/2021 at 12:10 PM, Hystorm said:

Go Jets!!

Hello. If you need anything from me or the mod team... you just shoot user Integrity28 a message.

Also, you should consider becoming a Jamal Adams fan. If so, reach out to Tom Shane. He is the president of the fan club and he can get you squared away.

Enjoy your stay. Zach is going to lead us to the championship many times over. Your happiness will be grand when it occurs, but by Jet fan law your happiness can only be 1/3 of those that have suffered lifelong as Jets fans. By posting you are agreeing to all the above. Many thanks. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, pointman said:

Also, this mass influx happened when we got Timmy Tebow. I think this faction is much brighter than that one was. 

Agreed, one wonder if Helen of Troy is stalking the Panthers forums. Telling them how good Sam is? 

On 5/6/2021 at 5:30 PM, Hystorm said:

Not a Mormon but a Fundamentalist...

If he was an LDS member, he would be instantly Excommunicated from the church!

Understand, if a person calls themselves: LDS, they are not polygamists, but a true Mormon Christian.

If they call themselves: Mormon, be very leary of them and what they are trying to push....

Understand, true Mormons have been asked by the current President to call themselves LDS and Get The Freak Away from the term Mormon. Now you know why, because the world associates the word Mormon with Polygamy which is just wrong on sooo many levels...

On another note...I find it rather strange that I'm explaining and somewhat defending the LDS church when I've never had anything to do with them but I guess education comes in all kinds of forms...

How does the church feel about bringing two ladies to one's prom?