Forgotten man in Jets Backfield Could Still Make Impact in 2021

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Absolutely criminal that Ty Johnson and Denzel Mims didn’t get more targets last year.

This is why firing Gase early in the season was necessary. 

I think once the Jets realized what they had with Gase, Darnold, the WRs, the OL and Covid, they concluded that keeping Gase, trading Adams and losing as many games as possible was the right move.

I think they were right. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think once the Jets realized what they had with Gase, Darnold, the WRs, the OL and Covid, they concluded that keeping Gase, trading Adams and losing as many games as possible was the right move.

I think they were right. 

If they were truly tanking:

• Sam never would have come back after injury.

• Bechton would not have been playing against Denver after getting hurt.

They were trying to win games and salvage Sam.

• Upvote 4

Carter, Johnson and Coleman look like the best fits for this outside zone running scheme.  Coleman has a lot of familiarity with it.  Johnson and Carter seem to have the athletic profiles for it.

At this point, Perine seems like the odd man out.  Wouldn't be shocked if he ends up on the PS.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I hope he gets his chance. Gase stubborness in regards to Gore was bewildering and completely incompetent. It was if the only thing Gase cared about was getting Gore 16,000 yards/

Yes Gase helped Gore compile his yds but it's been done before in the late 90's and 2000-2004 :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

It doesn't matter who our featured back is because 

A.) Adam Gase is fired. 

B.) We'll actually run... LEFT a lot behind Becton and Vera-Tucker. 

I'm hoping for a 1-2 punch featuring an ACC/SEC 1-2 punch of Carter and Perine. 

The way Gase used the rookie RB last year and hurried him behind Gore was criminal and if you're to judge him due to his rookie season you're just as stupid as the idiot Gase. 

• Upvote 1

I'd bet Ty Johnson has the most carries by the end of the year. Coleman is almost a lock to be on IR at some point and unless he's an instant star they won't have Carter get the bulk load of carries as a 5'8 rookie. Perine doesn't look like a fit in this scheme either

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

18 minutes ago, Icer said:

I'd bet Ty Johnson has the most carries by the end of the year. Coleman is almost a lock to be on IR at some point and unless he's an instant star they won't have Carter get the bulk load of carries as a 5'8 rookie. Perine doesn't look like a fit in this scheme either

Why is he "a lock" to go on IR?  Never missed significant time in his career until last season.

3 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Yes Gase helped Gore compile his yds but it's been done before in the late 90's and 2000-2004 :rolleyes:

Only to those who dont know squat about football, think that giving your best WR the ball is compiling.

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Carter, Johnson and Coleman look like the best fits for this outside zone running scheme.  Coleman has a lot of familiarity with it.  Johnson and Carter seem to have the athletic profiles for it.

At this point, Perine seems like the odd man out.  Wouldn't be shocked if he ends up on the PS.

Me neither.  It's hard to imagine a 4th round pick from just last year not making the roster, but at the same time, he really isn't a guy I expect to thrive, even in this system. 

He was the only Douglas pick so far that I can say with little doubt was a bad pick.  The process by which they concluded he was a pick to make was flawed as is the prospect himself.  I know we're a one-cut system, but you still need a guy with some burst after he makes that one cut.  Perine just isn't that guy.  He's not athletic, and his ceiling is a poor man's Bilal Powell. 

Perine falling behind Ty Johnson on the depth chart last season, plus the additions of Carter and Coleman, are all evidence of the idea that Douglas is already moving on.  RB is a plug-n-play position, even in a complex zone blocking scheme, so you know what you have with RB's pretty quickly. 

Even a team with a full committee approach really only is going to use 3 RB's at most (unless one gets hurt), and if a 4th guy makes the team, he HAS to be a special teams contributor.  I just don't see him playing much of a role on the team next year or going forward.  

At least Douglas seemingly is willing to quickly admit his mistakes and move on quickly.  You need that out of a GM.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Why is he "a lock" to go on IR?  Never missed significant time in his career until last season.

Yep.  Coleman's problem isn't a lack of injuries.  It's tumbling down the depth chart and either not playing much or at all on gamedays.

At least he's in the only scheme that will be able to get the most or anything out of him.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Absolutely criminal that Ty Johnson and Denzel Mims didn’t get more targets last year.

This is why firing Gase early in the season was necessary. 

Add to that Clark not even getting a taste of the field... gase was Truly Terrible. ?

40 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Add to that Clark not even getting a taste of the field... gase was Truly Terrible. ?

I’m actually going to put that one more on Clark, and I hate Gase more than anyone.

He must have been pretty bad in a short covid camp for that to happen. That’s the only way you can sell that to your GM and owner, especially if you’re desperately trying to save your job.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Me neither.  It's hard to imagine a 4th round pick from just last year not making the roster, but at the same time, he really isn't a guy I expect to thrive, even in this system. 

He was the only Douglas pick so far that I can say with little doubt was a bad pick.  The process by which they concluded he was a pick to make was flawed as is the prospect himself.  I know we're a one-cut system, but you still need a guy with some burst after he makes that one cut.  Perine just isn't that guy.  He's not athletic, and his ceiling is a poor man's Bilal Powell. 

Perine falling behind Ty Johnson on the depth chart last season, plus the additions of Carter and Coleman, are all evidence of the idea that Douglas is already moving on.  RB is a plug-n-play position, even in a complex zone blocking scheme, so you know what you have with RB's pretty quickly. 

Even a team with a full committee approach really only is going to use 3 RB's at most (unless one gets hurt), and if a 4th guy makes the team, he HAS to be a special teams contributor.  I just don't see him playing much of a role on the team next year or going forward.  

At least Douglas seemingly is willing to quickly admit his mistakes and move on quickly.  You need that out of a GM.

Perine was hurt all of last year.  he was never 100%.  He was the most explosive guy on the team last year in training camp before the injury..

Im not sure who started this "Perine is not a scheme fit" narrative and why everyone is running with it but its total garbage.  Perine will lead this team in carries and yards rushing this year.

Perine is 1A and Carter is 1B.

Look at this beast:

E17bgsCXMAczmIF.jpg.9992c7a8d772f82e5a237064e0a94ed0.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Perine falling behind Ty Johnson on the depth chart last season, plus the additions of Carter and Coleman, are all evidence of the idea that Douglas is already moving on.  

Completely agree. The offseason approach was clearly that we needed to upgrade the position. I think Perine is a goner.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

One thing Perine has going for him is his potential role on specials. I think he was drafted to be a #3 back who plays specials for four years. Boring but useful.

6 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

It doesn't matter who our featured back is because 

A.) Adam Gase is fired. 

B.) We'll actually run... LEFT a lot behind Becton and Vera-Tucker. 

I'm hoping for a 1-2 punch featuring an ACC/SEC 1-2 punch of Carter and Perine. 

The way Gase used the rookie RB last year and hurried him behind Gore was criminal and if you're to judge him due to his rookie season you're just as stupid as the idiot Gase. 

Forget who but somebody pointed out with that left side they’ll be able to just collapse that side of the line on runs right and open up some cutbacks too.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Perine falling behind Ty Johnson on the depth chart last season, plus the additions of Carter and Coleman, are all evidence of the idea that Douglas is already moving on. 

Its evidence of nothing.   Who says Perine is behind Ty Johnson on anyones depth chart?  Because the started over Perine, possibly due to injury, last year?  The depth chart is going to look different at a few positions under this staff

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, derp said:

One thing Perine has going for him is his potential role on specials. I think he was drafted to be a #3 back who plays specials for four years. Boring but useful.

Forget who but somebody pointed out with that left side they’ll be able to just collapse that side of the line on runs right and open up some cutbacks too.

Just to be clear, I am in no way giving up on Perine after one season where he entered the league as a 4th round pick, had some injuries and suffered through the ineptitude of Gase and the Jets offense.  Completely unfair.  He gets as much of a mulligan as guys like Clark and Morgan should get.  In fact, Perine actually has a legit NFL touchdown on his stat sheet.

I think you nailed it.  He's probably a RB3 and maybe has some unknown upside to become a RB2 at some point in the right system, and he has ST value.  The challenge right now though is two-fold for him.  1) He doesn't seem to have the right athletic/scheme profile for the outside/zone rushing offense the Jets wants to run under LaFleur.  2) The coaches on this staff were "in the room" when JD both signed a veteran RB in Coleman and drafted a RB in Carter.  Those are two guys who are immediately ahead of Perine on the depth chart.  However, what Perine does have going for him is that he was drafted by JD and he's still on a cheap 4th round rookie contract.  If I had to bet I'd guess he's one of the last cuts and ends up on the the Jets practice squad.  Maybe if the Jets keep 4 RBs he sticks along with Coleman, Carter and Ty Johnson (who I think is a GREAT fit for this scheme).

15 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Perine was hurt all of last year.  he was never 100%.  He was the most explosive guy on the team last year in training camp before the injury..

Im not sure who started this "Perine is not a scheme fit" narrative and why everyone is running with it but its total garbage.  Perine will lead this team in carries and yards rushing this year.

Perine is 1A and Carter is 1B.

Look at this beast:

E17bgsCXMAczmIF.jpg.9992c7a8d772f82e5a237064e0a94ed0.jpg

i am bullish on Perine. I think he was underrated coming out and could def contribute in a committee. 

22 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think Perine will be the 1A and Carter will be the 1B.

They will pretty much split carries 50/50.

Lol. Right, let Coleman, the most experienced  back on the team rot on the bench. If anything it is Coleman starting and whoever wins the third down job be it Carter, Johnson, or Perrine.  Perrine sucked last season so he has a lot to prove to get carries

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Its evidence of nothing.   Who says Perine is behind Ty Johnson on anyones depth chart?  Because the started over Perine, possibly due to injury, last year?  The depth chart is going to look different at a few positions under this staff

Perinne looked as slow as Gore.

He's just too slow to be an effective back.

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Perinne looked as slow as Gore.

He's just too slow to be an effective back.

Once again, people should learn to stop making definitive blanket statements about players off of their rookie seasons.

A RB thinking about the play, trying to find the hole and where his blocks are isnt going to be as quick to that hole as he will be with experience.  I dont think its fair to decide hes too slow to be an effective back

• Upvote 1