First Jets game in NY recommendations, advice?

Hello ye bunch of fine folk! 

The Mrs birthday is in a couple months and we are doing a family trip to NYC, it will be myself, my wife and at the time our youngest will just have turned 1 year old. We were looking at acquiring Jets v Patriots tickets and was wondering if anyone else has been to a game with a little one before and how was it? I believe she does not need a ticket though we are thinking of getting three tickets just to have more room and she can sit if she wants to. 

Is there any specific section that is a bit on the calmer/boring side that may be preferable for when taking a little one?
To be on the sidelines for warmups do you need special tickets or are those only for season ticket holders via a lottery?

Any local recommendations pre-game around the area that we should take in or good eats?

Oh and since Modell's is gone where is the best place in the city to get NY Jets merch or do I need to wait to pay the premium prices at the MetLife team store haha

Cheers! 

8 minutes ago, Tezza said:

The Mrs birthday is in a couple months and we are doing a family trip to NYC, it will be myself, my wife and at the time our youngest will just have turned 1 year old. We were looking at acquiring Jets v Patriots tickets and was wondering if anyone else has been to a game with a little one before and how was it? I believe she does not need a ticket though we are thinking of getting three tickets just to have more room and she can sit if she wants to. 

Is there any specific section that is a bit on the calmer/boring side that may be preferable for when taking a little one?
To be on the sidelines for warmups do you need special tickets or are those only for season ticket holders via a lottery?

Any local recommendations pre-game around the area that we should take in or good eats?

Oh and since Modell's is gone where is the best place in the city to get NY Jets merch or do I need to wait to pay the premium prices at the MetLife team store haha

Cheers! 

Talk to @SAR I?

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Tezza said:

Cheers! 

Hey, great time to start the kid off as a Jets fan. 

Going to a game with a little one can be a hassle. I mean you are there for about 3 hours and that is just the game. I would spring for the extra cash to get a parking pass close to the stadium. I'm not sure which side of the stadium is sunny and not but i would look to sit on the shady side, it can get pretty hot out in the sun especially  early in the season and that might be uncomfortable  for the little one. 

If you sit in the club section, it will be easy to run in and change the kid as opposed to the upper sections. 

As for Jets gear, buy it on-line. You basically pay the same price for the official stuff no matter where you go. 

My section is 144. Shade side of the stadium. Always seemed a bit calm.  Though usually more opposing fans than I care for.

Since it's only me and another, I skip tailgating.  Concessions, I think, are pretty good.  Premio sausage sandwich or Nonna's meatball sandwich are good(if available). Naturally, it costs you.  So, so by all means, bring your own.  Someone else will have to recommend local provisions, I'm in Mercer County. 

They usually have quite a bit going on around the stadium when the gates open up.  I suggest you check the Jets website for the game day guide and base your plans off of that.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Kolchak said:

My section is 144. Shade side of the stadium. Always seemed a bit calm.  Though usually more opposing fans than I care for.

Since it's only me and another, I skip tailgating.  Concessions, I think, are pretty good.  Premio sausage sandwich or Nonna's meatball sandwich are good(if available). Naturally, it costs you.  So, so by all means, bring your own.  Someone else will have to recommend local provisions, I'm in Mercer County. 

They usually have quite a bit going on around the stadium when the gates open up.  I suggest you check the Jets website for the game day guide and base your plans off of that.

I am in 143 and I agree with most but one thing for sure is we def get a lot of opposing teams fans.  As far as how calm it is that is hit or miss with who you end up next to.  Especially since our area seems to be big on the resale of opposing teams fans.  Concession wise this area is very good since we have our own little area next to the club that doesn't get too crowded. 

If I was going to a game with a little one, I wouldlook to sit in club level -- or somewhere with Club Access.  This way, if you need to get up and let the little one wander around, get a break from the heat/sun or rain if the weather is bad, it is easy to head into the Club for a short break.  I am not a regular to the stadium (I live out of market and only get into NY maybe once a year or two), so there are others who can probably recommend specific sections and how rowdy the crowd might be in some areas.  But I would think Club access would be really helpful.

2 hours ago, Tezza said:

Cheers! 

No real preference on seating...Its a September game, so dress cool. It will most likely be on the warmer side.

No special passes to go down to the lower sections for warmups. 

Most any sports store in NY/NJ will have some type of Jets gear. Dont overpay at metlife.

Welcome, you should have a good time!

1 hour ago, sec143dmf said:

I am in 143 and I agree with most but one thing for sure is we def get a lot of opposing teams fans.  As far as how calm it is that is hit or miss with who you end up next to.  Especially since our area seems to be big on the resale of opposing teams fans.  Concession wise this area is very good since we have our own little area next to the club that doesn't get too crowded. 

I guess sitting behind the visitors bench, you more so than me, condemned us to opposing team fans.  Still, over all I do like the seats.   Concession wise, I have to hit the main concourse.  It is what it is.

2 hours ago, Tezza said:

it will be myself, my wife and at the time our youngest will just have turned 1 year old. We were looking at acquiring Jets v Patriots tickets and was wondering if anyone else has been to a game with a little one before and how was it?

Don't.

Seriously.

• Upvote 4

I took my son to his first game when he was 4 NY Jets vs Colts at Giants Stadium. . It was the first NFL game we had a nasty storm thunder lighting torrential rain. He says dad I will never forget it. Game was delayed. Highways flooded on the way home. This was all before cell phones my wife wanted to kill me when we got home. 

@Tezza  You do what you feel is best for you and your family. 

Agree with others 1 year old is way too young. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I can't think of many experiences I'd less rather have than taking care of a one year old at a Jets game.

I'm not sure I'd take a kid under 10.

If you're gonna do it I'd get Mezzanine Club seats on the shady side of the stadium and I think splurging for a third seat is a must.

You also need something like this for the kid:

image.png.47b1dcb387c6c61d66f15bdcee0e1109.png

And, I would not plan on making it the whole game.  Honestly, the only way to do this comfortably is in a luxury box.

It's no different than taking a kid on a plane at that age.  It's doable, but, no one looks forward to it or has a good time.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I'm not looking to be rude, but honestly, my recommendation is for you to ditch the Jets game. There's so much to do in NYC with your family that's far more fun and productive.

Going to Jets Pats sucks as a Jets fan because it's all pats fans all the time. I know from first hand experience just about every year for the past 12. They'll probably win. If you get the sunny section, you're in for same major sun fatigue. Add in the traffic and concessions and you're looking at ~5 hours and $400+ just to be miserable. On top of all that, you and your wife will have to worry about taking care of a 1 year old. If you do end up going, definitely bring over-ear headphones for her, buy the extra seat, bring some sort of shade for her, and plan to have her be uncomfortable for most of the 5 hours between the commute and game. 

Personally, I don't plan to bring my kids with me to a game at MetLife until they are at least self-sustainable; probably around 8-9 years old. 

All of this.

I think you can go younger than 8-9... My feeling is 5 or 6, if they have some interest.  But at 1, you're just asking to have a bad time.  Again, this is just a louder airplane.  It's not going to be fun at all.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

You also need something like this for the kid:

image.png.47b1dcb387c6c61d66f15bdcee0e1109.png

And, I would not plan on making it the whole game.  Honestly, the only way to do this comfortably is in a luxury box.

It's no different than taking a kid on a plane at that age.  It's doable, but, no one looks forward to it or has a good time.

I agree. Especially with it being the home opener. The crowd will be large and rowdy. If you are going and money isn’t an issue at the very least club mezzanine seats and I’m not even sure I’d do that with a one year old. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BoogSportsGuy said:

I was 8 when I watched someone get stabbed in the parking lot after a Jets Pats game. Feel like it added character. 

Hahaha - I doubt anything that bad will happen.  It's just a huge pain in the ass and will make it impossible to actually enjoy the game.

6 hours ago, Tezza said:

Cheers! 

Be safe is the most important thing, use situational awareness and avoid possible dicey situations. New York is not a safe place right now, especially if you are Jewish.

• Upvote 3

If you are bringing a 1 YO, best advise I can give you is go to the zoo.  An NFL football game IS NOT a good place for a 1 YO.  

You won't have a good time, your neighbors probably won't have a good time, and worst of all you are putting the infant in danger from surrounding drunks.

Bring the kid back in 8 years.  :) 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If you are bringing a 1 YO, best advise I can give you is go to the zoo.  An NFL football game IS NOT a good place for a 1 YO.  

You won't have a good time, your neighbors probably won't have a good time, and worst of all you are putting the infant in danger from surrounding drunks.

Bring the kid back in 8 years.  :) 

Bronx Zoo is a great option.  Spend the day, then get an early dinner on Arthur Ave - Some of the best Italian in the city (and maybe world).

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Thanks for the input everyone a lot of solid points, unfortunately I think we will give it a miss, maybe we may substitute it for a baseball game which will be less loud and a bit more kid friendly that a NFL opener ...still need to get myself to a Jets game! 

I have been to NYC a few times but always look for recommendations on placing to see and things to eat that the local tourist would not be aware of. We are staying in Chelsea for what its worth .....mods if you want to move this thread to the lounge section and rename it that would be awesome I don't want to take up and sway the conversation to non jets in the jets sub. 

Cheers! 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Bronx Zoo is a great option.  Spend the day, then get an early dinner on Arthur Ave - Some of the best Italian in the city (and maybe world).

I loooooved the Bronx Zoo as a little kid.  Great thing for the wee un's.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I loooooved the Bronx Zoo as a little kid.  Great thing for the wee un's.

Penguins were the best.  When I was 6 YO I could stand for hours watching them.   

The poop throwing thing with the monkey's always thrilled me too.  The lice eating, not so much. 

• Haha 1