Jump to content

CIMINI: ZACH WILSON CLEARS AWESOME HURDLE


Recommended Posts

It's early and I haven't had my full dose of coffee yet but I expected a video of him jumping over an actual hurdle and now that I have read this stupid article I'm really pissed this wasn't actually that.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Some of you sure do seem to suffer from persecution complex. :-k

Cimini is a decent writer, he writes positive when warranted (or needed to sell ads), and writes negative when warranted (or to piss off Jets Fans in order to sell Ads).

The fact the Jets have given us vastly more bad to write about than good over the last decade isn't on Cimini.

Everyone is the hero of their own story. And there can't be heroes without villains. If there are none to be found, they must be manufactured.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly thought the article was going to be about Zach Wilson being able to complete a press conference without using the word "awesome" 10 times, unlike Sam Darnold. Would it be a ridiculous and uninformative article? Yes. Would it fit right in with 90% of other sports articles coming out of the media recently? Also yes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Some of you sure do seem to suffer from persecution complex. :-k

Cimini is a decent writer, he writes positive when warranted (or needed to sell ads), and writes negative when warranted (or to piss off Jets Fans in order to sell Ads).

The fact the Jets have given us vastly more bad to write about than good over the last decade isn't on Cimini.

Have to say, Cimini has been covering the Jets since the early 90s I believe, with Newsday and he's always taken the  negative angle.  He was negative through the good and bad.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

I honestly thought the article was going to be about Zach Wilson being able to complete a press conference without using the word "awesome" 10 times, unlike Sam Darnold. Would it be a ridiculous and uninformative article? Yes. Would it fit right in with 90% of other sports articles coming out of the media recently? Also yes. 

Every Darnold sentence began with Yeah

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ian Fleming said:

American society’s phraseological obsession with hyperbole distorts reality and undermines expectations. Everything is “awesome”, “the greatest”, “best ever”, “epic”, etc.

If Wilson has already been anointed among the greatest starting QBs in Jets history, then how bad will the reaction be when he makes his rookie mistakes?  
 

An Impatient fan base, a press willing to stoke the flames and all held hostage to the most vocal hyperbolic social media influencers is a toxic combination that can undermine the coaching regime, let alone Wilson’s development ASAP.

Except nobody has said that about Wilson 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Must have killed Cimini having to write a complementary article on a Jets QB.

Wilson didn't really leave him much choice.  

That’s so true, because Cimini has been wrong criticizing all the Jets QBs since Favre in Week 12, 2008. 

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Have to say, Cimini has been covering the Jets since the early 90s I believe, with Newsday and he's always taken the  negative angle.  He was negative through the good and bad.  

Was he negative during the Tuna years? I was too young and just watched the games. So I have no idea what the media coverage was like back then.

In recent year’s he hasn’t been wrong though. We’ve sucked for a while now. Even when we were good under Rex, our team was the kind of team non-Jets fans would hate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ian Fleming said:

American society’s phraseological obsession with hyperbole distorts reality and undermines expectations. Everything is “awesome”, “the greatest”, “best ever”, “epic”, etc.

If Wilson has already been anointed among the greatest starting QBs in Jets history, then how bad will the reaction be when he makes his rookie mistakes?  
 

An Impatient fan base, a press willing to stoke the flames and all held hostage to the most vocal hyperbolic social media influencers is a toxic combination that can undermine the coaching regime, let alone Wilson’s development ASAP.

773143629-lemonade_xanax.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ian Fleming said:

American society’s phraseological obsession with hyperbole distorts reality and undermines expectations. Everything is “awesome”, “the greatest”, “best ever”, “epic”, etc.

If Wilson has already been anointed among the greatest starting QBs in Jets history, then how bad will the reaction be when he makes his rookie mistakes?  
 

An Impatient fan base, a press willing to stoke the flames and all held hostage to the most vocal hyperbolic social media influencers is a toxic combination that can undermine the coaching regime, let alone Wilson’s development ASAP.

I don’t know. That’s a pretty deep analysis. I think it’s more simple and just depends on if they win. If the Jets show real improvement the fan base will be fine and he’s following 2-14 so expectations are low to begin with. I don’t think the noise in the press or social media will affect his development or the coaching staff one way or the other. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Every Darnold sentence began with Yeah

I am not trying to start something here- and know that I am thrilled with Wilson- but Zach also starts every answer with “yeah”.

The thing with Sam was that he said “umm” like a bunch of times every time he spoke, and I am almost positive he actually began each response with “sure” instead of “yeah”. Every player has their own little “pause word” which is fine but I do notice (so far anyway) that Wilson says “umm” throughout his answers a lot less than Sam did.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Link to post
Share on other sites

Typical off season fluff - heard all the praises for Sanchez and Darnold.

I’ll get excited when I see him throwing touchdowns in September. I do like the Jets new approach to actually put a line and some decent WRs around him though.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.nfl.com/news/jets-encouraged-by-zach-wilson-s-desire-to-master-offense-following-first-minica

 

Jets encouraged by Zach Wilson's desire to master offense following first minicamp

Published: Jun 18, 2021 at 12:35 PM
 

Headshot_Author_Nick-shook_1400x1000

Nick Shook

Around The NFL Writer

 

Becoming an NFL quarterback isn't as simple as being drafted and putting on a helmet.

Zach Wilson has learned this valuable lesson in his first few weeks of work as a New York Jet. It's not an easy task, of course, but Wilson isn't shying from the challenge. He's also not keeping the difficulty of it hidden.

"It's hard to say exactly how you did," Wilson said when asked about his performance following the conclusion of Jets minicamp, via the Associated Press. "Personally, in my eyes, I feel I can improve every single day. I feel like I'm learning something every single day. Even on the good days, it's still frustrating and it's just because it's like a foreign language. Every single day it's the same plays, but you're getting different reps, different looks at it, different defensive coverages, whatever it is."

The sheer amount of information might be overwhelming to most, but as Wilson is quickly realizing, the reps in June are even more important mentally than physically. Wilson knows how to throw a football -- quite well, in fact -- however, he still needs to learn how to diagnose every possible coverage he might face, and execute accordingly at the premier speed of an NFL game.

The Jets aren't giving a single thought to the use of mental training wheels, throwing Wilson into the controlled burn that is minicamp. It's not easy, but is essential if New York wants the No. 2 overall pick to blossom into the franchise quarterback they never quite saw in Sam Darnold.

It's painful to swing and miss once under center. It's not an option the second time around.

"It's been a learning curve for him," offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur said. "We've thrown a lot at him."

With no kid gloves available, Wilson has impressed his coaches with how he's handled their manufactured adversity. He hasn't always had the security of a play script, occasionally being directed to lead the offense through a period in which he's in charge of calling plays.

Wilson hasn't even had the playbook for two months. Yet, as LaFleur said, he's done a "really good job" in these instances thanks to investing plenty of time into digesting the offense.

It's the result of a character trait the Jets have identified in Wilson, one that has them convinced they made the right decision in April.

"Zach loves ball, that's one thing that I've learned," head coach Robert Saleh said. "He's unflappable in the sense that he doesn't care whether something went good or bad, he wants to know why it went good or bad. He wants to learn from it. He is wired exactly the way you want all players to be wired.

"So now it's just a matter of him getting as many reps as possible, to go into as many situations as possible, to see how much he can get better."

Wilson will get plenty of reps this summer in Jets training camp. The hope is by the time September arrives, he'll be mentally equipped to handle the responsibility of a starting NFL quarterback.

If anything, Wilson is certainly willing to put in the work.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:


I am not trying to start something here- and know that I am thrilled with Wilson- but Zach also starts every answer with “yeah”.

The thing with Sam was that he said “umm” like a bunch of times every time he spoke, and I am almost positive he actually began each response with “sure” instead of “yeah”. Every player has their own little “pause word” which is fine but I do notice (so far anyway) that Wilson says “umm” throughout his answers a lot less than Sam did.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Some sales techniques teach you are set of phrases to say right after questions so you dont say ummm.

Zach is doing really well so far

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Encouraging stuff so far. Seems like he's carrying himself, and playing like a veteran so far. 

Seeing him hold his own with the 1's against the 1's is awesome when the biggest concern with him from many was competition in college.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Must have killed Cimini having to write a complementary article on a Jets QB.

Wilson didn't really leave him much choice.  

I'll say this about Cimini, he's gotten better over the years.   I wasn't a big fan of his 5-10 year ago, certainly before his ESPN days.  Kinda lumped him in with the group of "hack reporters" who work here locally and kinda seem like ambulance chasing lawyers when it comes to information.  But again, with that said, Cimini has come a long way in my eyes.  He's typically writing about the things I want to hear as a Jets fan and he's very readable.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'll say this about Cimini, he's gotten better over the years.   I wasn't a big fan of his 5-10 year ago, certainly before his ESPN days.  Kinda lumped him in with the group of "hack reporters" who work here locally and kinda seem like ambulance chasing lawyers when it comes to information.  But again, with that said, Cimini has come a long way in my eyes.  He's typically writing about the things I want to hear as a Jets fan and he's very readable.

Actually agree with this.  Cimini is still snarky toward the Jets, but his content has gotten better since he has worked for ESPN.

When he was with the NYDN he was the worst of all the "rip the team to pieces" NY scribes.  Of course Manish Mehta made him look like a Homer.  LOL  Mehta wasn't really that bad until he got to the NYDN

Now the NYDN has gone and hired a Dolphins fan to cover the Jets. Can't wait to see how that is going to go over time.

Think perhaps the NYDN editorial policy toward the Jets is the real problem.   

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Was he negative during the Tuna years? I was too young and just watched the games. So I have no idea what the media coverage was like back then.

In recent year’s he hasn’t been wrong though. We’ve sucked for a while now. Even when we were good under Rex, our team was the kind of team non-Jets fans would hate.

Always was negative, even when it was hard to be negative it all had that tinge 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I'll say this about Cimini, he's gotten better over the years.   I wasn't a big fan of his 5-10 year ago, certainly before his ESPN days.  Kinda lumped him in with the group of "hack reporters" who work here locally and kinda seem like ambulance chasing lawyers when it comes to information.  But again, with that said, Cimini has come a long way in my eyes.  He's typically writing about the things I want to hear as a Jets fan and he's very readable.

He’s the pump the brakes guy(and how can you blame him) but out of the current beat team his Sunday columns always have the most interesting nuggets

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Warfish said:

Some of you sure do seem to suffer from persecution complex. :-k

Cimini is a decent writer, he writes positive when warranted (or needed to sell ads), and writes negative when warranted (or to piss off Jets Fans in order to sell Ads).

The fact the Jets have given us vastly more bad to write about than good over the last decade isn't on Cimini.

Cimini is a douche period!

And yes, he's a good writer, but a douche!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...