Rapoport: Herndon Traded to Vikings

Lith

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

"Welcome to Sternburger, you will take fries with that."

Think about the MetLife concession stand specials!

Woody Johnson:  "How much are we selling hamburgers for?"

Concession Manager:  "$13 sir"

Woody Johnson:  "hmm..  change the price to $17 and slap a Stern-burger label on 'em!"

Concession Manager:  "That's GENIUS sir!"

• Upvote 1

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Facts said:

So… JD is a genius for trading a guy that was going to be cut.

No. JD was smart, not a genius, to get a DE they knew was going to be cut because he wasn’t NEEDED on the Texans. Jets NEEDED a DE due to injury and depth. SO……instead of waiting for Shaq to be cut, have 31 other teams bid for his services, and Shaq possibly choosing to sign elsewhere of HIS choosing at HIS price, JD traded en expendable pick to FILL A NEED for his new CS defensive scheme. Vikes did the same as JD in trading for Herndon, JD was smart to capitalize on the Vikes’ need at TE and flipped him when most of us here thought Herndon would be cut or waste a roster spot  

And also a genius for trades for a guy that was going to be cut?

Errr, ok.

and your counter point in your own post is asinine because you repeat the same drivel. 

Your post clearly demonstrates your inability to understand the difference between acquiring a player, his salary, and contract while beating his getting to the free market as opposed to signing a player just unexpectedly released that may NOT be a need but is an upgrade over the current team incumbent. 

THATS WHY JD makes the $$$ as a NFL GM and you don’t. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, jamesr said:

It seems to be a common view that trades have to have a winner and a loser. But that doesn't have to be the case.

Houston were smart to get something for a guy they were going to cut. Jets were smart to fill a position of need for a negligible price.

Jets were smart to get something for a guy they were going to cut. Vikings were smart to fill a position of need for a negligible price. 

Win-win is a simple concept. :-) 

I completely agree. 

it’s sarcastic Jagøffs crapping on JD  calling him a “genius” for acquiring Shaq Lawson and flipping Herndon - both players who were “going to be cut” - that make no sense to me. Both scenarios presented the best possible outcome (acquiring an asset) under the dire circumstances without a sunk cost. 

No PR DE due to injury late in preseason? trade your extra 6th to solve problem.

Cut a tantalizing, but underachieving, player after 3 years that takes a roster spot? Trade him to a team that needs that depth just as you did with a DE. 

It’s a win-win in both scenarios for JD. The Jets GMs of the past 10 years were too incompetent and not connected enough amongst league circles to pull off such savvy proper roster maintenance/replenishment. 

my 2¢ and 3¥ :-)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, jamesr said:

It seems to be a common view that trades have to have a winner and a loser. But that doesn't have to be the case.

Houston were smart to get something for a guy they were going to cut. Jets were smart to fill a position of need for a negligible price.

Jets were smart to get something for a guy they were going to cut. Vikings were smart to fill a position of need for a negligible price. 

Win-win is a simple concept. :-) 

Added to the fact that another team could have easily offered the same 6th round or even a 7th round pick for Lawson.  If we waited for him to be cut, perhaps he is not cut and another team gets him for a 7th round pick.

How smart would JD look then?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bungaman said:

Is there any kind of time deadline for filling up the practice squad? I was wondering how fast we would see guys like Yaboah stashed there vs. guys JD might pick up from other cuts around the league.

Here you go @Bungaman.  The short answer is teams have 24 hours to make waiver claims.  At 4:00 pm tomorrow, teams can start to sign players who have cleared waivers to fill out their 16 man practice squad.  I was harsh in my final cuts and want the Jets to sift the final cut pile with enthusiasm.  But I also want to see many of our cut players added to the practice squad.  Especially Josh Johnson, Yeboah, Hamelcar Rashid, David Moore and the Smiths. 

Anyway, this is a good link I was reading to bone up on the rules.  Chapter, line and verse.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-roster-cuts-2021-deadline-rules/t4agmpiuyveo11wc540pj2knw

• Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Think about the MetLife concession stand specials!

Woody Johnson:  "How much are we selling hamburgers for?"

Concession Manager:  "$13 sir"

Woody Johnson:  "hmm..  change the price to $17 and slap a Stern-burger label on 'em!"

Concession Manager:  "That's GENIUS sir!"

They can also market it as a kosher burger by the sound of it

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rolloffjet said:

Crazy how fast Herndon has fallen. Great rookie season with a lot of promise. Then Suspend then hurt then Develop stone hands.sh¡t I remember when gase first got here he was saying he was a unicorn of a te. I guess he fuçken jinxed him. O well onto the next great te of the jets wait I can’t remember the last good te. Nevermind 

"Great" rookie season?  Ehhh.....

15 other TEs finished with more yardage that year.  11 other TEs had a better catch rate.  Only 4 TDs.  I get that Darnold was throwing him the ball but I wouldn't go throwing the word "great" around with anything Herndon did that season.  

• Upvote 1