Zach’s quick release reminds me of Marino

tfine

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I haven't heard Namath mention anything about ZW yet.  

He usually has a comment or two.  Maybe he's waiting to see him play first and not just jump on the preemptive band wagon.

I’m ok with him not giving an opinion.  He either sugar coated previous ones or was just wrong.

Tell the truth or say nothing! 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, tfine said:

Was just watching highlights of Zach at BYU and preseason…I have to say his release when he throws does remind me of Marino…ball just flies out of his hand. Hopefully he can be 3/4ths of the QB Marino was. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If I read this one more time.....

We all know he has a quick release. It is all the media talked about. 

48 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The quality in ZW that most reminds me of Namath is "spatial awareness" .... that's one of the things that Romo said sets Wilson apart. I remember in Mark Kreigel's (sp?) book on Namath, he said that Namath saw the possible shots on a pool table like no one else. He could envision how he would clear the table before even taking his first shot.  Namath saw the field like very few QBs could. He could look at the field and know what it was going to look like over the next 4 ort 5 seconds (a football play eternity).  I do think that Zach may be special when it comes to this all important trait.  QBs with great spatial awareness see that a receiver "will be" open even when he is covered at the moment. QBs who lack this ability see an open receiver and are hesitant to throw because they don't know he'll still be open after he throws the ball. I think this was part of Darnold's problem.

I think this is the only thing we don't know about ZW right now.  

It's clear he has a special arm, is accurate and can move in the pocket.  If he the skill set you're referencing then we will have a top 5 QB.  And we're ready to be a perennial 12 win, playoff team.

How much F-ing fun would that be?????

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

54 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The quality in ZW that most reminds me of Namath is "spatial awareness" .... that's one of the things that Romo said sets Wilson apart. I remember in Mark Kreigel's (sp?) book on Namath, he said that Namath saw the possible shots on a pool table like no one else. He could envision how he would clear the table before even taking his first shot.  Namath saw the field like very few QBs could. He could look at the field and know what it was going to look like over the next 4 ort 5 seconds (a football play eternity).  I do think that Zach may be special when it comes to this all important trait.  QBs with great spatial awareness see that a receiver "will be" open even when he is covered at the moment. QBs who lack this ability see an open receiver and are hesitant to throw because they don't know he'll still be open after he throws the ball. I think this was part of Darnold's problem.

Yup. There’s a play against Coastal Carolina where he looks at his TE, looks to his outside receiver and before looking back to the TE, he starts his throw to the space where his TE eventually got open. It’s cool to watch but then against Green Bay he did the same thing on his TD throw. He looked at Kroft, came off the look, and immediately looks back at Kroft while starting his motion. It’s almost like he knows he has the window he just has to let his TE get there before throwing. 

Hopefully this translates when the game is moving at an nfl level.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I for one think ZW has a tremendous arm but I just don't see a Namath or Marino arm ability.

And if I went into the comparing business I would compare him I know... I know don't say it Joe Montanna.  In the sense he has  a very good arm and has excellent movement in and around the pocket.

Indeed for me saying that ZW is like Montanna potential is big since Montanna is my No. 1 QB of All Time.. Screw you.. you know who!!! :) 

So saying that he doesn't have Marino or Namath's arm is not a knock, it is not just what I see.....

But it is ALLLLLLL JUST TALK UNTIL ZW does it on the FIELD!!!.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

And in three years, if Wilson doesn't work out perfectly, people here at JN will say "NO ONE EVER COMPARED WILSON TO MARINO, STOP LYING!!!!" @Jet Nut :lol:

How about we let Zack...just be Zack. 

As opposed to pressuring/presuming that he's already some amalgamated "Robo-HOF'er" combining all the very best aspects of the top 5 QB's in NFL history in a single person.....

No one is comparing him to Marino as a QB, just that he has that really quick release.  

Marino. was the greatest pure passer of the football I've ever seen.  And still would have been a great passer without the Namath like release.

Takes a lot more to be a pure passer or better yet a HOF QB than just a quick release or arm talent.  I dont bring it up, its meaningless at this point other than its a great starting point

I'm not confused by these traits vs being a stud, HOF FQB.  Have no idea why you tagged me in your post or want to argue with people who are saying ZW has a quick release when he absolutely does. If you havent noticed its on you.  

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No one is comparing him to Marino as a QB, just that he has that really quick release. 

When someone says "X is  like Y", that's called comparing.

When someone says "X is just like HOF'er Y at this, HOf'er Z at this, HOF'er Q at this", that is alot of comparing.

• WTF? 2

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

When someone says "X is  like Y", that's called comparing.

When someone says "X is just like HOF'er Y at this, HOf'er Z at this, HOF'er Q at this", that is alot of comparing.

I have no clue why this was confusing to you.  I clearly said a quick release doesnt make him Marino.  

Having a quick release is nowhere the same as saying hes Marino.  Thats 3Xs now.

You should stay far away from QB comments.  No one called him Marino.  Have no idea what you are trying to say.  Comparing a release to the overall talent of a QB is ridiculous.

Dont tag me in posts where youre the confused one 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, AFJF said:

Thread reminded me of this throw.  I was so focused on Wilson's improvisation, arm angles, accuracy that I'd kind of overlooked the quick release until I saw this throw.  Great stuff.

The 2 things that I like best about this play... #1- it's 3rd & 11... #2- Zach stays in the pocket, throws a bullet & takes a good hit like it was nothing... Hopefully, he'll make great decisions, great throws, take minimal hits & Win Multiple Super Bowls as the QB of the NY Jets. ?