Any Old Timers out there?

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Agreed seen the same.  But haven’t seen anything yet from Wilson to show he is the guy either tools are great and all but they need to produce.

As far as im concerned they've each shown in one game and parts of others.  White is a 4 year vet so the game shouldnt be running through his head at the same pace as it is for Wilson.  Wilson has the tools now he needs to be developed and mature into the job.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

My first season as a newly minted Jets fan was back in 1980.  My father took me to see a game and I recall not being too excited about it.   Todd had been the starter for only a year.   The Jets beat the Oilers with Stabler in OT.  I was 12 y/o and didn't know about QB controversies yet.  For the first quarter of the game, I was wondering why the offensive lineman were not having any passes thrown to them since they all seemed to be open :-) .  My father had to explain how it all worked at half time.  I recall learning a lot by listening to Marty Glickman call the games back then. People in the stands always had a radio on, so I was able to hear and learn at lot quickly.  Marty was great.  Wish I could still tune in and hear him.   

Marty Glickman was the absolute best!!!!!!! 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Marty Glickman was the absolute best!!!!!!! 

Another thing some of the older fans probably remember is the orchestra that they had at games back then.  They would set up near the open end of Shea stadium and play some hot jaz and swing and big band stuff.   It was a lot of fun.  Better than hearing Welcome To The Jungle or some other over exposed infantile heavy metal song played over and over. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Jethead said:

If you say most hated Jets rival is Cheartriots, you're a pup.

If you say most hated Jets rival is Phish, you're middle aged.

If you say most hated Jets rival is the Oakland Raiders, you're a fossil (me).

This is spot on, F U C K the Phish.

(Turn 50 in January)

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Phenomenal post.    I've told my son that a couple of times and he just can't believe we hate the Raiders more than the Pats. Those Jet/Raiders games always seemed like they were to the death.   Especially in an era when QBs and everyone else on the field was getting clobbered.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Idk, they all seem to meld together to me.

And as much as I hated the Raiders, I LOVED Fred Biletnikof.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Amen Brother!! I still remember listening to the AFL Championship game on the radio between the Jets and Raiders because the game was “blacked out” in the NYC metro area. The game was going to be aired after the 11pm news and my Dad wouldn’t let me stay up to watch. Lol

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

Jesus...this thread has led me down the google rabbit hole.   Thinking back to the 81 and 82 seasons when I first became a Jets fan.

Completely forgot that the 82 season was strike shortened, although I vividly remember Freeman running wild on the Bengals and Lance Mehl sealing the win against the Raiders. Of course who could forget the mud bowl.  Did I say F U C K the phins?

What I did not know was that Mark Mosely....a kicker....A KICKER!!!!!....was voted NFL MVP for the 82 season.

Could you even imagine that happening now?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

Matt Robinson threw one great pass     ( 92 x takeoff ) to Walker against the Broncos late in the game for the win. Other than that very mediocre at best 

As I believe Serby noted in one of his better pieces, the mere mention of 92X take-off to WW--thrown by whomever--- struck fear throughout the league.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Another thing some of the older fans probably remember is the orchestra that they had at games back then.  They would set up near the open end of Shea stadium and play some hot jaz and swing and big band stuff.   It was a lot of fun.  Better than hearing Welcome To The Jungle or some other over exposed infantile heavy metal song played over and over. 

The Bob Cleveland Orchestra

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, dcJet said:

In another Jets QB battle, I loved Glenn Foley and really hated O'Donnell.  
Also turns out they both sucked.

I felt exactly the same way. Foley flashed but was always hurt. My memory fades but I remember that being the issue, not that he wasn't terrible. 

Always felt they should have kept him as Vinny's backup in 99. Things might have been different that year. At least would have been a better option that Rick Mierererererer

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Amen Brother!! I still remember listening to the AFL Championship game on the radio between the Jets and Raiders because the game was “blacked out” in the NYC metro area. The game was going to be aired after the 11pm news and my Dad wouldn’t let me stay up to watch. Lol

I was in college and my father and I watched the game from the second row of the upperdeck on the southeast goal line. Namath's pass--60 yards in the air through the swirling Shea winter winds hitting #13 in stride--to set up his dart to win it is a thrill forever. Years later Jimmy Breslin called the long one the greatest pass ever thrown. Still is. And one of the OL said he could hear the TD bullet as it went over his head

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Todd was playing reasonably well.  He got injured early in the 1978 season, I think it was game 4 in Washington.  Robinson came in and played well. Todd was set to return late in the season.  He resumed his starting spot in a big game against the Patriots at Shea in late November . He did not play well in the game and the "We want Matt" chant was born.  The Patriots lead most of the game and Todd reinjured his shoulder late in the game and Robinson came in and played well.  He lead a comeback in the 4th quarter that should have resulted in a win, however kicker Pat Leahy missed a 35 yarder as time ran out and the Jets lost 19-17.  

I was at that game and I believe it was the same day as The Fumble at the Giants game at Giants Stadium.

37 minutes ago, Alworth said:

The Bob Cleveland Orchestra

Yes. That was it.  If I recall, they all wore green suits.  I had a lot more fun back then.  The players were more colorful and I got the feeling that they were there because they loved the game and not to be "stars".   They were gritty football players as appose to the contemporary fine tuned corporate athlete.  After a TD or big play, you would never see that brand of football player swarm the end zone in a mass for a corny posed photo op. You also saw a lot of working class people in the stands. Families could afford season tickets back then.  Now it seems tailored for megabuck luxury sky boxes.  Lots more lively sights and sounds back then too.  Wild fans, liquored up fans, all the vendors in the stands.  Steam coming up from the hot chocolate and so on.  MetLife stadium has clean bathrooms, but it is totally vapid compared to what it was 40 years ago.  It is just a big sterile corporate money maker now.  

• Upvote 1

I remember Todd of course. After all he's an Alabama boy but I draw a blank with Robinson. 

Don't think there's a legit QB controversy . ZW  IS our #1 QB. That being said I'm very excited to see what Mike White can do this week. Excited too because I can actually watch the game here in Buffalo.