What are the Long Term Pieces of the Jets Offense Already In-Hand?

Warfish

Becton is a soft player whose feet fall a sleep.

Moore is a keeper and Carter should be too.

I wish he relied more on his agility & elusiveness, rather than toughness.

AVT is what you want in an offensive lineman.

Fant I'm afraid is a lot better player than the lazy Becton will ever be, extend him.

I don't like the concept of labeling receivers 1,2,3 receivers have  roles slot, outside,

X. we have multiple slots but only mediocre Davis outside. One of my many beefs

with Douglas that he hasn't grabbed a young TE from a teams practice squad.

As a Big 10 fan, I see many TEs who would be a major upgrade. Wilson should

take honest note of himself and stop playing hero ball. Not the easiest thing to do

witness Mahomes and Allen. I would cut the foolish competition for Amendola

he has  a strong leg and his misses are not  bad shanks, give him the chance to

develop consistency the remainder of '21

• Upvote 2

Becton is a soft player whose feet fall a sleep.
Moore is a keeper and Carter should be too.
I wish he relied more on his agility & elusiveness, rather than toughness.
AVT is what you want in an offensive lineman.
Fant I'm afraid is a lot better player than the lazy Becton will ever be, extend him.
I don't like the concept of labeling receivers 1,2,3 receivers have  roles slot, outside,
X. we have multiple slots but only mediocre Davis outside. One of my many beefs
with Douglas that he hasn't grabbed a young TE from a teams practice squad.
As a Big 10 fan, I see many TEs who would be a major upgrade. Wilson should
take honest note of himself and stop playing hero ball. Not the easiest thing to do
witness Mahomes and Allen. I would cut the foolish competition for Amendola
he has  a strong leg and his misses are not  bad shanks, give him the chance to
develop consistency the remainder of '21

Nice post .. mostly agree with everything.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Think the offense is a #1WR, #1TE, and CENTER (Linderbaum) away from being good on a consistent basis. We need a tall fast #1 WR, we need a Pitts, Kelce, type TE, and the last piece to the OL puzzle is Linderbaum.  I don't care if McGovern moves to RG, or he competes with LDT, but he has played better, but I want our next great Center for the next 10  years... Becton, Fant and Moses can duke it out for LT/RT, and AVT is set for LG for the next 10 years. Stick Moore at SLOT, Cole as #2 WR and work on Mims in the offseason so he can finally contribute in 4-5 receiver sets... I think with those pieces added to our offense for next year we should be set for a little while.

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

QB - Wilson, TBD?

RB - Carter perhaps?  Anyone else?

WR - Moore?  Berrios as the Returner+bottom of roster WR?  Anyone else?

OL- AVT seems likely.  Becton, opinions seems split of long-term/health.  Are any of the others long-termers foundations at this point?

TE - ?  No one yet?

In terms of future-planning for a successful, top-10 type productive Offense, what pieces do you think we already have in-place to build around?

Moore . Carter , Tucker , 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah.  When its kittle.  Who are all  these other TEs he relied on?

I didn't say 2 or 3 good TEs, I just said a good TE. The 49ers have Kittle, which is more than enough. Just check out their record when he's hurt... Not great

20 minutes ago, Hex said:

I didn't say 2 or 3 good TEs, I just said a good TE. The 49ers have Kittle, which is more than enough. Just check out their record when he's hurt... Not great

Last year when Kittle was hurt my father destroyed me in fantasy football with Jordan Reed filling in. 7 catches for 50 yards and 2 TDs. 24 points in our PPR league. Opponent: the Jets, naturally.

4 hours ago, Jethead said:

Biggest hole by far on offense is at TE. I expect a FA acquisition and a high draft pick (top 4). I also think we will take a WR in our top 4 draft picks. Also think we need a power RB to add to the stable, maybe 3rd rounder. Hopw we find a way to keep Fant and Moses, add another developmental OL.

Spent the rest of our $ and picks on Defense.

I hope you mean draft a TE by the 4th round and not with a first or second round pick.  The drafts of the last 10-15 years are filled with pedestrian TEs drafted in the first and second round and not a single star player. The  best current TEs in the NFL were drafted late or not at all.  Andrews and Kelce were 3rd round picks.  Kittle was a 5th round pick and Waller was a 6th round pick.  Drafting a TE with an early pick is almost as bad as taking a RB. It is a wasted pick.  I will throw a brick through my TV if the Jets use a top 40 on a freaking TE.  

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I hope you mean draft a TE by the 4th round and not with a first or second round pick.  The drafts of the last 10-15 years are filled with pedestrian TEs drafted in the first and second round and not a single star player. The  best current TEs in the NFL were drafted late or not at all.  Drafting a TE with an early pick is almost as bad as taking a RB. It is a wasted pick.  I will throw a brick through my TV if the Jets use a top 40 on a freaking TE.  

I'd much rather bring in one of those previously-drafted first round athletic freak busts as a rehab project. Such as Njoku or OJ Howard.

34 minutes ago, jgb said:

Last year when Kittle was hurt my father destroyed me in fantasy football with Jordan Reed filling in. 7 catches for 50 yards and 2 TDs. 24 points in our PPR league. Opponent: the Jets, naturally.

Huh, interesting

Off topic, but I was looking Reed up and found this on ESPN:

image.thumb.png.b6e569803a49b286702126abf53499f5.png

33 Arms and 10 Hands. No wonder your father destroyed you!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Thank you.  Dead on.   Imagine this team with Evans and Godwin as #'s 1 and 2 with Moore as 3?    That level of talent is scary/impressive.   Moore with the current group of receivers will get lost in wash.

20-20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.  Godwin was a 3rd round pick who had 35 catches his rookie season and 57 in his second season.  He didn't break out until year 3.  Diggs took 4 years to emerge as a top flight receiver and was often injured.  The Vikings traded him.  Moore is going to have better rookie seasons than both Godwin and Moore.  Moore is doing just fine. In fact, his rookie season is comparable to Heisman trophy winner Devonta Smith.  There is not a team in the NFL other than maybe TB (with Evans, Godwin, and a healthy Brows) that have a young trio like Evans,  Godwin and Moore. Not. One. NFL. Team.  Moore is going to be the top receiver on the Jets starting next season.  He may be the best receiver on the team now.  

1 hour ago, Hex said:

Because Kittle is their #1 option.  The guy got the job off of what he did in Atlanta running the Julio Jones show.  Was Shanahan running his offense through Jacob Tamme?  He had 31 targets in 2016,

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I hope you mean draft a TE by the 4th round and not with a first or second round pick.  The drafts of the last 10-15 years are filled with pedestrian TEs drafted in the first and second round and not a single star player. The  best current TEs in the NFL were drafted late or not at all.  Andrews and Kelce were 3rd round picks.  Kittle was a 5th round pick and Waller was a 6th round pick.  Drafting a TE with an early pick is almost as bad as taking a RB. It is a wasted pick.  I will throw a brick through my TV if the Jets use a top 40 on a freaking TE.  

I'd easily use one of our 2nd rounders and for sure our 3rd.  If we have not taken a tight end by round 4 I'll be upset.

Like any position you can hit or miss.

Carter and Moore are both gonna be excellent. Already are tbh.

AVT will be here obviously but he's been pretty overrated on this forum. He's been fine but nothing special and hasn't shown he was worth trading away two 3rd rounders. Christian Darrisaw has been lights out the last few weeks and would have there at 23. Could have had him and Fant on the outside with the plan on moving Becton inside and set us up for years. Plus another few 3rd rounders. Another Douglas miss. Spineless. 

Fant should be given a new deal for how he's played. Becton will be around in some capacity for 2+ years. 

Everyone else is expendable. 

We'll give up on Zach after next season when he gets everyone fired. 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This is the argument to just trade down and acquire more picks (and keep doing that every year).  That allows us to replace pieces each year as needed.  And it also reinforces the importance of Zach living up to billing.  If the strength of your team is depth, you're going to lose players as it comes time for their 2nd contracts.  You can (and have to) pay your QB but, once he's on his 2nd contract, you lose flexibility to re-sign your other players.

yep.  it's going to be a balancing act to keep all of the high priced contracts from coming due at the same time and knowing which players to keep.  i think some positions actually will price themselves out, like wrs, on their second contracts.  i mean just how many like obj have turned into complete divas.  i don't see a lot of these guys sticking with the same team for years on end.  maybe that's the way it is for all blue chip players.

• Sympathy 1

Right now Moore and AVT look as if they are the only two building block long term types on the offense. Carter is fine but you dont build around a back and they are at this point more or less a dime a dozen. Becton is far too injury prone to be considered a sure thing. We should know by next year if Wilson has a chance or will just be another in a long line of Jets QB flops. 

9 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

20-20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.  Godwin was a 3rd round pick who had 35 catches his rookie season and 57 in his second season.  He didn't break out until year 3.  Diggs took 4 years to emerge as a top flight receiver and was often injured.  The Vikings traded him.  Moore is going to have better rookie seasons than both Godwin and Moore.  Moore is doing just fine. In fact, his rookie season is comparable to Heisman trophy winner Devonta Smith.  There is not a team in the NFL other than maybe TB (with Evans, Godwin, and a healthy Brows) that have a young trio like Evans,  Godwin and Moore. Not. One. NFL. Team.  Moore is going to be the top receiver on the Jets starting next season.  He may be the best receiver on the team now.  

Maybe I did not write my post well enough.   I was not tracking or comparing Evans or Godwin.  I was trying to say that Moore would do better on a team which had true, established, #1 and #2 receivers.  We have JAGs/JAG minues.  You could substitute their names with those of of similar ability from other teams.

I think Moore is doing really well.  Again, until we upgrade our receiver corps Moore will start to see double teams and marked out for most of the games.

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

So far so good but as I've said when your prize head coach who is a D guy has his D be epically bad things change

Waaaaaaay too early for any judgement on defense. First year converting from a 3-4 to a 4-3, primarily man coverage to zone, starting not just rookies, but late rounders and UDFAs, and getting some good play out of them! This is the installation and evaluation year. If nothing else, they’ve established some depth on the DL and at CB. Second year in the system should be a different story. It’s already been a little different story the last couple weeks. 

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

QB - Wilson, TBD?

RB - Carter perhaps?  Anyone else?

WR - Moore?  Berrios as the Returner+bottom of roster WR?  Anyone else?

OL- AVT seems likely.  Becton, opinions seems split of long-term/health.  Are any of the others long-termers foundations at this point?

TE - ?  No one yet?

In terms of future-planning for a successful, top-10 type productive Offense, what pieces do you think we already have in-place to build around?

QB - BIG question mark.  Too soon to tell.

RB - Carter will absolutely be here.  He has played great.  I like Ty Johnson for depth, but would like another RB to split carries.  Perine doesn't look like he will work.  Such is the draft.

OL - Becton is a question mark, but has the potential to be a 10-year starter.  Maybe moving him to RT would help?  Who knows.  AVT obviously.  I think LDT is a great addition for if nothing else a spot starter and depth. He is also a solid human being, and that should not be underestimated.  Chuma Edoga played decent when thrust into a starting role and should provide depth.  Cameron Clark is a HUGE question mark, but has potential.  I think George Fant should be extended.  For all the grief JD took for signing him, he has outperformed his contract. I would consider extending him.  Morgan Moses will probably be moving on.  I think centre should be looked at in the draft, and depth, depth, depth.  The O-line has played pretty well, and will only get better.  And that will be the key to how well this offence will get. 

As with OL, I believe more draft picks should be used, especially in rounds 4-6.  Keep developing OL.  

WR - I wouldn't put a question mark on Moore.  This kid is going to be a baller.  Berrios is HUGELY underrated.  Will he be a #1 or #2?  No.  But he has sure hands, gives you a few catches each game, returns kick-offs and punts.  He deserves a 3-year contract IMO.  The Mims situation is a complete mystery:  The guy averages 18 yards a catch, and doesn't get playing time.  He was a high draft pick and should be playing.  Yes, he has dropped some balls, no doubt.  But I think he needs playing time, and confidence from the staff.  I don't see that happening.  The lack of commitment in this kid and the price paid to get him makes no sense to me.  Keenan Cole will probably be gone, as will Crowder.  Davis is what Davis is.  Can Moore be a true #1?  If not, it would be a good idea to either sign another WR or draft one with one of the top five picks.

TE - Resources MUST be spent here next year.  We need to draft a TE, and we need to sign a TE.  There are lots of options as of now for free agency, but they will dry up quickly as guys are resigned.  One interesting pick could be CJ Uzomah with Cincinnati.  They will have the space to sign him and probably will, but you never know!  Arizona I doubt will sign both Zach Ertz and Maxx Williams.  Either way, major resources need spending there.  

13 hours ago, adb280z said:

Why are people still mentioning Mims?  He'll be lucky to make the roster next year at the rate he's going.  

Because this is one of the blemishes on this FOS and CS.  Mims should be playing and developing.  Guys who average 18 yards a catch should play.  Yes, he has dropped balls.  Confidence is a funny thing; when it is entrusted to you, it grows.  When it is limited, it shrinks.  This is a lost season; you should be trying to coach a valuable draft commodity up, not down. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

32 minutes ago, slats said:

Waaaaaaay too early for any judgement on defense. First year converting from a 3-4 to a 4-3, primarily man coverage to zone, starting not just rookies, but late rounders and UDFAs, and getting some good play out of them! This is the installation and evaluation year. If nothing else, they’ve established some depth on the DL and at CB. Second year in the system should be a different story. It’s already been a little different story the last couple weeks. 

Generally agree but the last two weeks we probably faced two QB's who will not be NFL starters next year.

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Generally agree but the last two weeks we probably faced two QB's who will not be NFL starters next year.

They’re a safe distance from being a finished product, but you can see improvement. Getting all these kids all this experience this year will pay dividends going forward. 

10 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I like Ty Johnson for depth, but would like another RB to split carries. 

Agreed, TJ doesn't move my needle at all as anything but a depth guy, if even that honestly.

WR - I wouldn't put a question mark on Moore.  This kid is going to be a baller. 

He's a semi-? for now, for the same reasons Jets Fans should have considered Mims a ? last year.

Berrios is HUGELY underrated.  Will he be a #1 or #2?  No.

Admittedly, I was probably wrong on Berrios' value.  I've never been a fan of his, to me he falls into the same category as Danny Woodhead did for me, a guy you keep when you just don't have anyone better and you don't want to spend anything on that depth spot.  

3 minutes ago, slats said:

They’re a safe distance from being a finished product, but you can see improvement. Getting all these kids all this experience this year will pay dividends going forward. 

Don't think we know and the reality is with the exception of TB we really don't face a starting caliber QB the rest of the year unless Buffalo is playing for something.  Although if Trubisky puts up a big game on us with the 2nd team it won't be a high note.

Were not exactly facing murders row of NFL QB's going back two weeks through the end of the year.  This schedule looks a lot like 2019 when the Gase led Jets went 6 and 2 down the stretch.   If the D doesn't look decent against this schedule there's a comparison to be made with Adam Gase.