Jump to content

Tight End Class


JazzyJet
 Share

Recommended Posts

We need him. Can we wait till Round 2? Or should we consider trade down/ trade up to target late Round 1? What FA TE's are available? TE is the glaringest of all of our glaring needs.

I'm not really excited about the combo of our draft slots and what's available this year vs our needs.

thoughts?

image.thumb.png.a3eb7040db6c16ec03dba77260123109.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You’ll find several threads/post with man juice crustifying on the discussion of McBride, in addition to Likely, Ruckert, and other tight ends. 

We’re non-binary/sexually-fluid in the draft room this year. 

There will be blood if we don't walk away with at least 1 TE from this draft class. I even want two, honestly.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

There will be blood if we don't walk away with at least 1 TE from this draft class. I even want two, honestly.

unless they add like 3 in FA this year somehow.  But i think even JD has a little bit of a hard on for the TE class this year.  Theres a lot of good ones, this may be as deep a TE class as we've seen in a while. 

We talk a ton about Likely, Mcbride, and Ruckert because they're board favs. 

but we're leaving out guys like  Wydemyre, Otton, Whyle, Kolar, Laporta, Stogner. Im prob even missing some, but its a deep and varied class whether you want blocking or receiving theres something for everyone. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obviously TE is a huge need for this team, but I really think teams miss when they focus on player like Kyle Pitts.  (This is not an anti-pitts thread, he is an athletic freak, having a solid rookie year - but to me he is a WR, not a TE).  A big reason why Kelce and Kittle are so good is that they are excellent blockers so when they are on the field the defense has to play the run and pass, whereas a defense needs to put a DB on someone like Pitts and not worry about being gashed vs the run.

Looking at this TE class, below is what I could find doing a little research, but was curious what the board thinks about some of these guys.  I really hope we can find someone who can make our run game really effective, can serve as an effective blocker when asked to pass protect and who can develop into a decent receiving TE.   LaPorta seems like a very interesting prospect, especially since Iowa runs the ball so much, but it was hard to find information on him and im not even sure he is in the draft.

  • Jake Ferguson is only 245 and apparently isnt much of a blocker.
  • Cade Otton has a similar scouting report to Ferguson and is also 240.
  • Jalen Wydermyer is supposed a decent blocker and is 255 so its possible if he is willing to, he could be decent as a blocker. 
  • Isiah Likely is also 245 and although he has lined up in-line, doesnt seem to offer high end blocking skills. 
  • Charlie Kolar is 255 and apparently is a willing blocker but doesnt have much play strength.
  • Trey McBride is 260 and a very good receiver and seems like a decent blocker. 
  • Sam LaPorta - 250 and is listed as an excellent run and pass blocker with the ability to be an in-line receiver but not enough speed to "stretch the field"
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s a crazy amount of depth in this TE class. I’m all for drafting 2 of them if one isn’t signed in FA. There are probably 12+ guys I’d be good with.
 

The boards favorite seems to be Trey McBride for good reason. He has very reliable hands, is a decent blocker, gets his teammates fired up, good route running/contested catches. 
 

some more that you haven’t mentioned are Jeremy Ruckert, Greg dulcich, Cole Turner, Jahleel Billingsley

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I could definitely see the Jets loving Jeremy Ruckert. I think he could probably be had in the third round. He is an outstanding blocker and a great athlete. His receiving production is limited but I think thats more a product of the other weapons at Ohio State. I think he could be a very good NFL pro with a relatively high floor as a good blocking TE. 

I'd love to see the Jets take a swing on a guy like Njoku in FA and draft Ruckert in the third. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I could definitely see the Jets loving Jeremy Ruckert. I think he could probably be had in the third round. He is an outstanding blocker and a great athlete. His receiving production is limited but I think thats more a product of the other weapons at Ohio State. I think he could be a very good NFL pro with a relatively high floor as a good blocking TE. 

I'd love to see the Jets take a swing on a guy like Njoku in FA and draft Ruckert in the third. 

Is Ruckert the guy who made a huge catch last year in the college playoffs?  I remember an OSU TE having a huge game and I’d imagine that was him?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, BCJet said:

Obviously TE is a huge need for this team, but I really think teams miss when they focus on player like Kyle Pitts.  (This is not an anti-pitts thread, he is an athletic freak, having a solid rookie year - but to me he is a WR, not a TE).  A big reason why Kelce and Kittle are so good is that they are excellent blockers so when they are on the field the defense has to play the run and pass, whereas a defense needs to put a DB on someone like Pitts and not worry about being gashed vs the run.

Looking at this TE class, below is what I could find doing a little research, but was curious what the board thinks about some of these guys.  I really hope we can find someone who can make our run game really effective, can serve as an effective blocker when asked to pass protect and who can develop into a decent receiving TE.   LaPorta seems like a very interesting prospect, especially since Iowa runs the ball so much, but it was hard to find information on him and im not even sure he is in the draft.

  • Jake Ferguson is only 245 and apparently isnt much of a blocker.
  • Cade Otton has a similar scouting report to Ferguson and is also 240.
  • Jalen Wydermyer is supposed a decent blocker and is 255 so its possible if he is willing to, he could be decent as a blocker. 
  • Isiah Likely is also 245 and although he has lined up in-line, doesnt seem to offer high end blocking skills. 
  • Charlie Kolar is 255 and apparently is a willing blocker but doesnt have much play strength.
  • Trey McBride is 260 and a very good receiver and seems like a decent blocker. 
  • Sam LaPorta - 250 and is listed as an excellent run and pass blocker with the ability to be an in-line receiver but not enough speed to "stretch the field"

not even close

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Thats him! 

 

He also had two TDs against Clemson in the semis 

Just googled his scouting report - he is basically exactly the type of player im talking about.  Look at him in the late second or third round and at worst you get an excellent blocker and at best you get an excellent blocker with receiving upside and the chance to be a complete TE.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ll be watching  Cincinnati TE Josh Whyle against Alabama.  He’s an interesting later round prospect.  He has vice grips for hands, is 6’6” with great agility.   Not much experience with traditional in-line blocking (he’s not used that way) but blocks really well in the open field.  If JD drafts someone like McBride or Ruckert earlier I would love adding a guy like Whyle later for some depth.   We need to start stacking some depth at the TE position.  

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To me, if you are considering a TE early, like late in Rd. 1 or early in Rd. 2 (when the top TEs typically go) you take Jalen Wydermyer. He may not be the best blocker but his upside as a receiving playmaker are sky high an you just can't pass on a guy like that. I think his offensive skill set translates the most to the NFL. 

I would think McBride is the most balanced. Def. a willing an productive blocker with great hands and enough athleticism to get open at the next level. These guys will go 1 and 2 between the back end of Rd. 1 the early part of rd. 2nd. 

After that there is a considerable drop off, IMO. Guys who are either good as receivers, bad at blocking or vice-versa (Likely and Ruckert come to mind). And then some prospects that can potentially be balanced NFL TEs but are raw and unproven- we always see these guys get scooped up by teams who are good at developing TEs. Billingsley from Alabama comes to mind. 

Like I said, I am very high on Wydermyer. I kind of don't care how well he blocks. What he can do as a receiving weapon makes up for that in spades. The Jets have 2 draft picks in the second round. If he is there, I'm taking him and giving Zach a mismatch at the TE position. I would even move up for him because I really feel like the guy is going to be a stud an improve his blocking. We haven't had that at the TE position in a while.        

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, PepPep said:

To me, if you are considering a TE early, like late in Rd. 1 or early in Rd. 2 (when the top TEs typically go) you take Jalen Wydermyer. He may not be the best blocker but his upside as a receiving playmaker are sky high an you just can't pass on a guy like that. I think his offensive skill set translates the most to the NFL. 

I would think McBride is the most balanced. Def. a willing an productive blocker with great hands and enough athleticism to get open at the next level. These guys will go 1 and 2 between the back end of Rd. 1 the early part of rd. 2nd. 

After that there is a considerable drop off, IMO. Guys who are either good as receivers, bad at blocking or vice-versa (Likely and Ruckert come to mind). And then some prospects that can potentially be balanced NFL TEs but are raw and unproven- we always see these guys get scooped up by teams who are good at developing TEs. Billingsley from Alabama comes to mind. 

Like I said, I am very high on Wydermyer. I kind of don't care how well he blocks. What he can do as a receiving weapon makes up for that in spades. The Jets have 2 draft picks in the second round. If he is there, I'm taking him and giving Zach a mismatch at the TE position. I would even move up for him because I really feel like the guy is going to be a stud an improve his blocking. We haven't had that at the TE position in a while.        

Id rather have the blocking then playmaking receiving skills and the main reason is that even when you see Kelce and Kittle, they dont run a ton of double moves or back shoulder type plays that require a ton of playmaking skills.

Kittle, who is a good example offense wise - is used on misdirection plays, finds a spot in space, and then he just goes beast mode, not sure there are many guys like that.

Kelce is great at finding soft spots in the coverage and is excellent at improvising to find a spot where mahomes can hit him.  

Id rather see someone like Ruckert giving us a big advantage running the ball (we absolutely need to find a 2nd RB to pair with carter) and then hopefully he can be decent after the catch.  A playmaking TE to me, is a glorified WR who would need to be paired with a blocking TE to make this offense work the way it should.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/24/2021 at 12:58 PM, PepPep said:

To me, if you are considering a TE early, like late in Rd. 1 or early in Rd. 2 (when the top TEs typically go) you take Jalen Wydermyer. He may not be the best blocker but his upside as a receiving playmaker are sky high an you just can't pass on a guy like that. I think his offensive skill set translates the most to the NFL. 

I would think McBride is the most balanced. Def. a willing an productive blocker with great hands and enough athleticism to get open at the next level. These guys will go 1 and 2 between the back end of Rd. 1 the early part of rd. 2nd. 

After that there is a considerable drop off, IMO. Guys who are either good as receivers, bad at blocking or vice-versa (Likely and Ruckert come to mind). And then some prospects that can potentially be balanced NFL TEs but are raw and unproven- we always see these guys get scooped up by teams who are good at developing TEs. Billingsley from Alabama comes to mind. 

Like I said, I am very high on Wydermyer. I kind of don't care how well he blocks. What he can do as a receiving weapon makes up for that in spades. The Jets have 2 draft picks in the second round. If he is there, I'm taking him and giving Zach a mismatch at the TE position. I would even move up for him because I really feel like the guy is going to be a stud an improve his blocking. We haven't had that at the TE position in a while.        

I’m just against drafting unproductive TEs with good physical traits and suspect hands and mediocre blocking.
 

McBride is clearly tops of the group. After that of the two pass catchers I’d prefer Likely over Wydermyer because of better hands and production and then Ruckert as high potential blocking/ receiving guy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Paradis said:

this is the like 9th thread on the TE class... the point of this forum was to funnel discussions. Yea, i said it.

@Lith wield your mod powers to merge this with the other ones?

I only see this thread and a Trey Mcbride thread.  Unless there are others that have gotten buried on the main board.  And besides, I have never merged threads before, would have to figure out how to do it.

Edit.  I just merged two Kyle Hamilton threads, so the haven't done it before excuse is no longer valid.  TE threads are merged too.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I said on the main board, we should definitely throw a bag of money at Dalton Schultz. In such a situation, we would still need a TE but we won't be as desperate. Would love to pair him with Charlie Kolar from Iowa St. If you see Breece Hall's highlights real, you'll usually see Kolar getting his hands dirty, driving his legs run blocking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've loved Kolar for a few years now.  His injury and other guys moving up seem to have dropped him a bit in the general list of TEs.

We must draft two TEs but knowing Douglas he simply for some reason does not double dip in the strong parts of the draft even if we have a need.

Oh, and the Jets are not getting Dalton Schultz in fa.  He is just the type of good break through player that his won team resigns and never makes it to fa.

We will sign a Fa TE but we wont get a good enough guy for it to change our need to drat two guys

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

As I said on the main board, we should definitely throw a bag of money at Dalton Schultz. In such a situation, we would still need a TE but we won't be as desperate. Would love to pair him with Charlie Kolar from Iowa St. If you see Breece Hall's highlights real, you'll usually see Kolar getting his hands dirty, driving his legs run blocking. 

The way Schultz is playing, he is going to cost of fortune.  If we can get the best tight end in the draft with our 1st second round pick, that would make more sense then making shcultz or geisiki a top 5 paid tight end.

I think Joe D is taking McBride with that 2nd round pick.  Makes too much sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/26/2021 at 5:35 PM, Lith said:

I only see this thread and a Trey Mcbride thread.  Unless there are others that have gotten buried on the main board.  And besides, I have never merged threads before, would have to figure out how to do it.

Edit.  I just merged two Kyle Hamilton threads, so the haven't done it before excuse is no longer valid.  TE threads are merged too.

reflecting i think the rest have been more sprinkled throughout our broader 2022 prospect threads. but thanks for merge these two anyway 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...