BYU fan got to chat with Zach Wilson a little bit this week. Here’s what he had to say:

Mogglez

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He had 102 catches for 1200+ yards a year ago.

He had a bad season this year but the way they were shuffling QB and Fields struggling?  Missing 5 games didnt help.

As with everything comes down to price

He hasn't had a great year since 2015.  The 1200/ 6 TDs in 2020 sounds tempting,  but ask any Bears fan... he did not deliver in the clutch much and went invisible at the most crucial times.  He'll be 29 this summer and I'd rather get a WR on the rise than one who is on the decline and has been for multiple years. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm hoping we sign Scantling. If he didn't play opposite  Adams, he would be a  WR1 on GB. I would also like them to see if they can sign Christian Kirk. Scantling, Kirk, Moore, and Berrios would be the best 4 WR's we have had in a decade. 

I didn't realize Kirk is a FA.  I'd be shocked in Zona doesn't keep him.  R Moore was their draft pick and he did not produce.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Plus if we sign one of these big name WRs, we're probably going to get stuck in a longer term contract (e.g. 4 years).  Not sure that's such a good idea considering that most years you can get a very nice WR in the draft (of course, maybe not so much this year now that we're ready to take one - lol).

Yea agreed, aside from Ridley and Cooper I think I'd prefer the draft. Sucks that Williams tore his ACL but I still like Burks and London a lot. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

of course there is worse than Robinson.  Robinson is a decent player but in no way, no how, other than 2015 has he ever been a game changer or lived up to the hype.  He'll be 29 and is exactly what we don't want...  an underachieving player with an injury history who is likely about to begin the downside of his career.  Nope.  

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

of course there is worse than Robinson.  Robinson is a decent player but in no way, no how, other than 2015 has he ever been a game changer or lived up to the hype.  He'll be 29 and is exactly what we don't want...  an underachieving player with an injury history who is likely about to begin the downside of his career.  Nope.  

I don't  think we sign him anyway. He is going to ve going for that last big payday and will likely sign with a playoff team. I actually can see GB signing him to pair with Adams.

42 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He had 102 catches for 1200+ yards a year ago.

He had a bad season this year but the way they were shuffling QB and Fields struggling?  Missing 5 games didnt help.

As with everything comes down to price

I wholeheartedly agree, I’m not sure where the Allen Robinson sucks narrative is coming from.  If I remember correctly I believe we were in on him last time he was a FA (or at least it was rumored/reported we were in on him).

As a PSU fan I’d be happy with this…only question is are he and Davis too similar that having both is redundant ?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea agreed, aside from Ridley and Cooper I think I'd prefer the draft. Sucks that Williams tore his ACL but I still like Burks and London a lot. 

Are Burks and London true #1 WRs or are they "specialty" guys who are "good in the red zone"?  

Just now, Rob Moore said:

I wholeheartedly agree, I’m not sure where the Allen Robinson sucks narrative is coming from.  If I remember correctly I believe we were in on him last time he was a FA (or at least it was rumored/reported we were in on him).

As a PSU fan I’d be happy with this…only question is are he and Davis too similar that having both is redundant ?

He doesn’t suck, but is he a difference maker at this point in his career? Not a big advocate of giving guys their last big payday. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Are Burks and London true #1 WRs or are they "specialty" guys who are "good in the red zone"?  

I definitely don't consider Burks or London to be "route runners", I've only watched highlights to this point so I'll need a deeper dive. I want to see how Burks measures at the combine, he's really the one I'm looking at.

He almost reminds me of Enunwa the way he plays.

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I definitely don't consider Burks or London to be "route runners", I've only watched highlights to this point so I'll need a deeper dive. I want to see how Burks measures at the combine, he's really the one I'm looking at.

He almost reminds me of Enunwa the way he plays.

I don't want to take a guy like that at #10 then (certainly not at #4).   If we're taking a WR top 10 then we need a legit #1.

22 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't want to take a guy like that at #10 then (certainly not at #4).   If we're taking a WR top 10 then we need a legit #1.

I wouldn't necessarily call route running a weakness for Burks, he just wasn't asked to do it as much. He was lined up all over the field and was asked to use his body for leverage on defenders. Scouting report mentions rounded routes as opposed to crisp cuts.

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I wouldn't necessarily call route running a weakness for Burks, he just wasn't asked to do it as much. He was lined up all over the field and was asked to use his body for leverage on defenders. Scouting report mentions rounded routes as opposed to crisp cuts.

Is that a legit #1 WR though?  I don't want to overdraft just because of need.  We have plenty of holes to fill.

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Is that a legit #1 WR though?  I don't want to overdraft just because of need.  We have plenty of holes to fill.

Depends how you are gonna use him. This offense feels like a better fit for Ridley or Cooper for sure but with the way Zach moves around maybe it's worth having a receiver like Hopkins that can climb the ladder. Hopkins was a solid route runner coming out but was also taken 27th as opposed to 10th, granted he would be a top 5 pick in hindsight.

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Depends how you are gonna use him. This offense feels like a better fit for Ridley or Cooper for sure but with the way Zach moves around maybe it's worth having a receiver like Hopkins that can climb the ladder. Hopkins was a solid route runner coming out but was also taken 27th as opposed to 10th, granted he would be a top 5 pick in hindsight.

Where would these guys rank if they were in last year's class?

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Where would these guys rank if they were in last year's class?

Chase is the only one I'd have above everyone. Then you are probably looking at Williams, Wilson and Olave in a similar light to Smith and Waddle last year because of the types of receivers they are.

Burks and London don't have any comps to last year cause I wouldn't consider them line Toney, Moore, Moore or Bateman.

Burks an London to me are in the mix with the first group but an entirely different skill set.

15 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Chase is the only one I'd have above everyone. Then you are probably looking at Williams, Wilson and Olave in a similar light to Smith and Waddle last year because of the types of receivers they are.

Burks and London don't have any comps to last year cause I wouldn't consider them line Toney, Moore, Moore or Bateman.

Burks an London to me are in the mix with the first group but an entirely different skill set.

I want no part of and Ohio State WR in the first round.

• Upvote 1

•    Jets plan to sign a prolific free agent WR1 in the offseason, and use almost all their draft picks for the Defense (with maybe one late pick for OL). He is feeling excited about the chemistry going into next year.

How exactly would he know this? Douglas and Saleh have told him their draft plans in January??

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I don’t see the whole draft going to D either. Why would Zach know that and why would he know it now?

The Jets will add players. Period.

Top picks could easily both be defense - just the way the board is looking.  Unless we're going OT, good chance it's Edge/Corner, no?

Regardless, why in the world would Zach be told this?

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Here’s the text of his post on a BYU message board:

“Got to chat with ZW a little bit this week. Figured I’d share a few tidbits:

•    Asked him what the biggest surprise has been, being in the NFL. Didn’t hesitate to say it was the speed of the game. Guys being able to dedicate 100% of their focus to the game shifts them into an elite gear. Defenses anticipate everything so well that it’s very hard to be a step ahead.

•    Now that he’s Pro, said it feels normal and just part of his path, basically. Feels a lot more comfortable than at the start of the season.

•    Jets plan to sign a prolific free agent WR1 in the offseason, and use almost all their draft picks for the Defense (with maybe one late pick for OL). He is feeling excited about the chemistry going into next year.

•    He says it’s wild being on the field with guys like Tom Brady that he’s grown up watching. He joked about the AB situation and said he would gladly put AB into a Jets jersey, haha.

•    Misses the mountains, says he’s not a city guy.

•    Berrios is his best friend on the team. They’ve become really close.

•    He couldn’t watch all of the BYU games because of the late start times on the east coast, but he’s glad they had a great year.

•    People in Utah recognize him all the time, but he said a lot of the people in NJ still don’t recognize him while he’s out and about. Joked about being a nobody at the Indian restaurants.

Very nice guy. Just at glance he looks stronger and maybe even a little taller than he was at BYU. Forgot to ask him about his knee, but based on his last couple of games it doesn’t seem to be too bad. Also forgot to ask about his off-season plans or Beck’s future with the Jets. Oh well.

He is one of my favorite BYU players and I look forward to watching him make some noise for years to come in the NFL.”

He’s not a “city guy,” he can’t watch his alma mater play because of time zones, his best friend is the WR5, nobody recognizes him in Jersey, his DCHC is going to burn every draft pick on defense and stick him with Christian Kirk as his WR1, and he’s spending the offseason working out in Utah and Florida. My guy seems pumped about the NY/NJ Jets experience.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He’s not a “city guy,” he can’t watch his alma mater play because of time zones, his best friend is the WR5, nobody recognizes him in Jersey, his DCHC is going to burn every draft pick on defense and stick him with Christian Kirk as his WR1, and he’s spending the offseason working out in Utah and Florida. My guy seems pumped about the NY/NJ Jets experience.

I wouldn't blame him if he wasn't so pumped  to play for a fan base that was pretty much out to destroy him before he was even drafted.

If I were him I would want out of here as fast I could...

Luckily for the NY Jets - He seems to be far more of a team player and a better guy than I am...