Per ESPN NFL will play first game in Germany next year

faba

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

I would agree with this if it didn't seem like an 18 game season was less than five years away.

They'll have 18 games by the 2026 season.  Why you ask?  Because if they don't Superbowl Sunday will be February 14th that year and all hell will break loose if the Superbowl is on Valentines day.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

They've thoroughly dominated the US. The only way for them to really grow is internationally.

It will be met with lukewarm enthusiasm. The nature of the sport just doesn't appeal to most international sports fans.

Germany actually LOVES american football. It was the one place NFL Europe was really successful

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

They've thoroughly dominated the US. The only way for them to really grow is internationally.

It will be met with lukewarm enthusiasm. The nature of the sport just doesn't appeal to most international sports fans.

The NFL disagrees:

A new survey by AFG Videoforschung found that American football has become the second-most popular television sport in Germany, with one in three people having watched in the past year.

Someone my age is no longer in the NFL's target demographic.  Little by little, the NFL--as well as other sports--is making moves which makes me want to watch less and less.  

Really doesn't matter as Goodell and the old boys club could give a "scheisse" about me or my opinions.  It's a new ball game they want to be played on a global stage.  Viel Glück!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

46 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The NFL disagrees:

A new survey by AFG Videoforschung found that American football has become the second-most popular television sport in Germany, with one in three people having watched in the past year.

I think the NFL is also supposed to be extremely popular in Mexico.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think the NFL is also supposed to be extremely popular in Mexico.

Definitely is. I've been here a few years and in the city I'm in, I know a lot of people that play or played, they start as young as 2nd grade. 49ers are big here, along with the other big names like the Packers, Steelers, Cowboys, etc. Once in a while I even see some Jets related stuff but not often.