NY Jets OT Mekhi Becton acknowledges critics on social media

Bronx

NY Jets OT Mekhi Becton acknowledges critics on social media

New York Jets offensive tackle Mekhi Becton is aware of the criticism surrounding him as he enters a crucial third season.

Mekhi Becton knows about the narratives surrounding him

It’s safe to say that New York Jets offensive tackle Mekhi Becton went through the wringer in his second NFL season. While he wasn’t beat by opposing defensive ends, he instead suffered a brutal knee injury that knocked him out for the season in Week 1.

Throughout his absence, the Jets’ beat and other media reported Becton wasn’t exactly committed to his rehab and getting back on the field. Whether he was labeled “overweight”, “lazy”, or as someone with a “bad work ethic”, fans and media were sure to lay all of the criticisms out there.

The 22-year-old offensive lineman seems to be well aware of the narratives surrounding him in the public eye.

On Tuesday, Becton reposted an Instagram graphic by CBS Sports titled “Critical Moves Each Team Should Make”. Put together by NFL reporter Jason La Canfora, the “critical move” for the Jets involved a worst-case scenario with their star left tackle.This scrutiny is nothing new for Becton, who has been under fire over his injury since midseason in 2021. What was projected to be a six-to-eight-week injury ended up wiping him out for the rest of the season.

To make the situation even more complicated, the Jets’ right tackle, George Fant, put together an elite season filling in for Becton on the left side. As discussed previously here, Fant made it known in 2021 that he is capable of being a great left tackle in this league.

Fant’s great work, combined with Becton missing lots of time, paved the way for head coach Robert Saleh to announce an open competition for the left tackle spot when speaking to the media at the Senior Bowl.

With everything that’s come out about Becton over the past year, it is clear that he hears the noise.

We saw before the 2021 season that Becton was in incredible shape and ready to dominate after a strong rookie campaign. Becton allowed 23 pressures over 690 offensive snaps in 2020, providing solid pass protection for whoever was under center. The run game was where he especially shined, consistently paving over defenders and making lanes to earn the nickname “Highway 77”.

Fans are restless and the pressure is on for Becton. We’ve seen how dominant he can be. If he can return to impeccable shape like a year ago and dominate in camp, there is no doubt that the former 11th overall pick will not only win the fans back but win the privilege to keep quarterback Zach Wilson safe from the blindside on Sundays.

Screenshot_20220301-172825_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220301-172807_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220301-172844_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Ripping the kid isn’t going to help but he’s a prime candidate for someone who should temporarily delete all social media and just focus on football. It’s a total distraction it seems. 

This is probably true -- but if it motivates him it's not necessarily the worst thing in the world. The narrative, largely promoted/leaked by the Jets, is out there. 2022 is a big year for him and it's good he seems to realize that.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Ripping the kid isn’t going to help but he’s a prime candidate for someone who should temporarily delete all social media and just focus on football. It’s a total distraction it seems. 

I have been extremely bullish because his lack of passion and determination. I think that we are fed up with so many years of humility that when you are hopeful for such high draft pick and this person turns out to be lazy, it's like slapping the entire franchise's (including fans) face.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah I actually agree with this. I am optimistic about him but he doesn’t help himself out. Deleting media and going Rocky IV would make a statement all on its own. Let others post his workouts on theirs and go be a dad and an elite mountain of a man. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Are we ignoring him getting beat like a rug  all of training camp? 

But it also raised the question or doubt, is Lawson that good or is Becton that bad? I think it could be the latter.

30 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Are we ignoring him getting beat like a rug  all of training camp? 

By the huge contract "elite" Edge that never played a single snap for us?

And likely will never be the player he was before because of that injury?

That guy, that no one has said a peep about in a critical way?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

By the huge contract "elite" Edge that never played a single snap for us?

And likely will never be the player he was before because of that injury?

That guy, that no one has said a peep about in a critical way?

While the same people, raise your hand, repeated often how little ZWs success in preseason meant because it was preseason.?

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I think I’m safe.  Looks like he has never had a salad, much less a tossed salad. ?

He might toss your salad if you keep messing with him. I think that he can afford hacking your IP and paying you a visit..I know I would. 

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Hate to say it, but he looks like one of the new guys in my Crossfit class.  

Not impressed. 

Is he supposed to like Lou?

926162154_download(15).jpeg.1077d74da2444da362f553029feb3dcc.jpeg

He is an OL in the NFL. If you have seen a platoon of OL Hulks in the NFL, you are more than welcome to post their pics as evidence.  Otherwise,  you are just being a hater.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Hate to say it, but he looks like one of the new guys in my Crossfit class.  

Not impressed. 

He’s relied on size and natural gifts up until this point. He’s gotta block out the noise and commit. The Jets should have put in more guardrails or done more homework on him. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

He’s relied on size and natural gifts up until this point. He’s gotta block out the noise and commit. The Jets should have put in more guardrails or done more homework on him. 

He’s an amazing athlete for his size.  His head coach says he has been working his tail off and he looks like he is in good shape.  That’s what I wanted to see and I’m glad they posted it for nosy people like us.  

If he’s better at RT, cool.   The Jets need one of those and it’s becoming a premium position in my book anyway.  If he keeps the right mindset he’s going to be good somewhere.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bronx said:

He might toss your salad if you keep messing with him. I think that he can afford hacking your IP and paying you a visit..I know I would. 

And so begins my month long campaign of messing with Bronx on the internet that hopefully culminates in one special night together.

Now excuse me while I google "how to wax b-hole painlessly".

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

And so begins my month long campaign of messing with Bronx on the internet that hopefully culminates in one special night together.

Now excuse me while I google "how to wax b-hole painlessly".

'Tossing your salad' is also used as a reference of 'beating your ass' where I am from.