OT off-season thread: What was your first car?

1964 Ford Galaxy 500 fastback with a 390 Police Interceptor engine with 330 horsepower, stick with overdrive & a 411 rear. It had a AM radio with a reverberator ($19. extra) I also had power steering so my dad could drive it. I disconnected the PS when I raced at the track.

Black with black vinyl interior.

$2900 complete.

I wish I had a picture to show you.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, The Crusher said:

1972 Ford pinto II. Same color, shut up! It was a hand me down from my Aunt!

5A93868E-C273-48C3-9B90-6145AB53636B.jpeg

Beat ya to it... mine was a 1971 Lime Green, also a hand me down. My sister wanted that car, and my father bought it for her, only for her to steal my Uncle's 1965 Ford Mustang. The Mustang was supposed to be mine. I never forgave my sister for stealing it from me lol...

image.thumb.png.707e1257cdfaa402e5ef112adddc6a22.png

• Haha 2

A van that my brother and i customized. I actually cannot recall if it was a Ford or Chevy. Anyway, my brother and i Covered it floor to ceiling in shag carpet and installed benches and a table. I got pulled over by cops quite a bit when driving in quiet NJ neighborhoods near my girlfriends house in my white van with blacked out windows and NY plates, especially when a school was nearby. 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, chirorob said:

Started driving Sept of 1991.  My 1st car was a 1980 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback.

No AC, 0-60 in about 3 minutes.   My folks got it for me, and I loved it, that's the correct color and everything.

car.jpg

first car was a sunbird too.   don' rembember what year.   my dad got it at auction for like $300.   passenger door handle didn't work...had to be opened from outside lol.....second car much better....1983 Dodge Shelby Charger....loved that car.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

No words needed….what a POS! @The Crusher

@68JET11  mine was a 76    TRUE POS!!!!!!

67097540-11ED-4F79-B979-689790EBA09F.jpeg

@The Crusher

I drove mine cross country when I was 18 to California... I busted a fuel pump in Nebraska, and sat on the side of the road for 2 hours watching highway patrol just go by lol...  Finally the car started back up again, and made it to Cheyenne WY to the Ford Dealer so the car could get fixed. It was truly a POS lol... I once fit 12 of my HS friends in the car for our Senior Choir Concert, after smoking the funny stuff lol... Legs sticking out of the windows. While the car sucked, I had fun in those days. One last funny story. You could sleep in the engine compartment in those cars there was so much room. I did a timing belt change on that car in CA for $40. I look under the hood of my Audi and I can't fit my hand anywhere in that engine compartment lol...

Emissions controls.... who needs em lol...

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

@The Crusher

I drove mine cross country when I was 18 to California... I busted a fuel pump in Nebraska, and sat on the side of the road for 2 hours watching highway patrol just go by lol...  Finally the car started back up again, and made it to Cheyenne WY to the Ford Dealer so the car could get fixed. It was truly a POS lol... I once fit 12 of my HS friends in the car for our Senior Choir Concert, after smoking the funny stuff lol... Legs sticking out of the windows. While the car sucked, I had fun in those days. One last funny story. You could sleep in the engine compartment in those cars there was so much room. I did a timing belt change on that car in CA for $40. I look under the hood of my Audi and I can't fit my hand anywhere in that engine compartment lol...

I got mine at 10 years old right after my Aunt and Uncle drove it from Texas to NY. I honestly don’t  think I ever drove it more than an hour at one time. Partly because it start 6 or 7 times out of 10. Truly a honest to goodness toilet seat of a car. It lasted about 9 months and I blew a rod driving 45 in a 55, because that’s about all it had left. Haha. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

@The Crusher

25 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I got mine at 10 years old right after my Aunt and Uncle drove it from Texas to NY. I honestly don’t  think I ever drove it more than an hour at one time. Partly because it start 6 or 7 times out of 10. Truly a honest to goodness toilet seat of a car. It lasted about 9 months and I blew a rod driving 45 in a 55, because that’s about all it had left. Haha. 

My clutch cable snapped through the firewall between the engine and clutch pedal in the middle of Manhattan in 1979. I wasn't old enough to drive in Manhattan so I couldn't do much. I literally waited from about 7pm to 10pm or so to let traffic die down and I drove that car, with no clutch, from NYC to Suffolk county.  Stopping at toll booths, traffic etc.....  changing gears with no clutch. Find me a 17 year old kid who can do that!!!! Was a fukkin nightmare.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Can we start a thread about what car did you get laid in the most???  First BJ car???  My second car. 

897E221D-AE77-4009-87A6-AC54B772147F.png

Maybe one a little broader than that - favorite car, for whatever reason. I only got laid in that Toyota Celica, and I never wanted to repeat the experience. It didn't help that it was about ten degrees outside - I moved my carnal activities indoors after that. I should have gotten laid in my second car - the '70 Coupe De Ville: there was room for an orgy in there. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

My clutch cable snapped through the firewall between the engine and clutch pedal in the middle of Manhattan in 1979. I wasn't old enough to drive in Manhattan so I couldn't do much. I literally waited from about 7pm to 10pm or so to let traffic die down and I drove that car, with no clutch, from NYC to Suffolk county.  Stopping at toll booths, traffic etc.....  changing gears with no clutch. Find me a 17 year old kid who can do that!!!! Was a fukkin nightmare.  

Not my first car, but when I lived in the SF Bay Area my Blazer's transmission "went" in the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge.   Somehow got it into a workable second gear until my mechanic's place in San Rafael.  

Laugh about it now.  Then?  Not so much.  That was also the end of my Blazer, which I absolutely loved and had brought from NY.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

I remember talking mine to DC in High School for a choir trip. I had EMT training the night our choir sang at the White House Rose Garden. I was following the bus that had all the other students with just me an my best friend. At 65 miles an hour the entire car would shake like an earthquake. It was the funniest thing, because the bus wanted to go faster, but it couldn't because it would have left me behind lol...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Good story... Them were the days... Kids today have no clue what fun the 70's were lol...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Maybe one a little broader than that - favorite car, for whatever reason. I only got laid in that Toyota Celica, and I never wanted to repeat the experience. It didn't help that it was about ten degrees outside - I moved my carnal activities indoors after that. I should have gotten laid in my second car - the '70 Coupe De Ville: there was room for an orgy in there. 

I used my car to take my conquests to wooded areas that I knew nobody patrolled, with the nice blanket I provided so they wouldn't get a scratched ass lol...

• Sympathy 1

On 5/26/2022 at 12:28 PM, freestater said:

I got my parents old Chrysler K car when they got their new Oldsmobile. I got in so much trouble in that car. 

We had one of them but it burst into flames one night driving home from a christmas party with the whole family at 2am.  Got to learn how to drive stick in a 1985 Plymouth Voyager with a 5 speed on the floor.  Aawwww yeeeahhh

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Matt39 said:

My old man still has his first car, Same model in black.

stand corrected his is a 65. It still runs

Love the old MGs, but you gotta swap out the Carburetors. Yank the stock dual carbs out and put in Webers!! ? 

And remind your Dad that the British have their Beers warm because Lucas makes refrigerators....

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Love the old MGs, but you gotta swap out the Carburetors. Yank the stock dual carbs out and put in Webers!! ? 

And remind your Dad that the British have their Beers warm because Lucas makes refrigerators....

Taken in 2020. Check out those gas prices!!!

5B17F12B-9043-4C53-837A-1CFFD9852CB8.jpeg

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Wait how did u het it in first? Jusy rev and push the stick? Yikes

On 5/27/2022 at 6:58 PM, southparkcpa said:

If I remember correctly.... I started it in 1st.......  had to time the gas peddle perfectly, was a bitch.  Listening to the engine, to time the move from 1st to 2nd etc.  

lol wow yea i used to shift without the clutch myself at times. Theres a certain speed/rpm where it would easily fall into gear with a lil push but 1st gear was never an option. I agree you probably had to start her in gear while the starter motor actually moved the car and then fanagle the gas. Good job

• Upvote 1