Albert Breer article excerpt on Zach Wilson.

32 minutes ago, freestater said:

As long as there's no red/yellow/green stuff on his armband, I'll be happy.

Was about to make a similar comment.

All top 5 draft pick QBs are “there” from a physical perspective. What determines success or failure is the speed of the processor — fast or slow football brain?

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, freestater said:

As long as there's no red/yellow/green stuff on his armband, I'll be happy.

Funny thing is that there are people here that think Zach is not smart and can't recognize defense and go through progressions. The opposite is true. He is so talented that they just threw the entire offense at him and thought he could learn it

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ah, the usual "year 2 simplify the offense" phase.

What some don’t want to consider is if taken at face value, it means the coaching staff is incompetent for needed a 4-13 season to recognize these simple things.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, jgb said:

What some don’t want to consider is if taken at face value, it means the coaching staff is incompetent for needed a 4-13 season to recognize these simple things.

Not necessarily. Zach may have been perfect in learning the offense intellectually and even able to talk about it in Football 501 terms, but on the field it was different. I think he will take a gigantic leap as long as the team stays healthy.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not necessarily. Zach may have been perfect in learning the offense intellectually and even able to talk about it in Football 501 terms, but on the field it was different. I think he will take a gigantic leap as long as the team stays healthy.

This is my thinking too.  Probably understood the offense very well on the whiteboard but at play speed he still had to think causing a sort of yips on the short throws when he was panicking that he was taking too long, because early in the season there were plenty of instant pressures when the OL couldnt pick up a stunt.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Thanks for sharing.  Good read.

I have to ask - if he really was trying to do too much too fast - isn't that really on the coaching to stop that?  I mean isn't that their job?

Just feels like this rookie HC and OC thing probably let Zach down a bit.  

Not taking blame from ZW - but the coaches could have been better too.  

Agree... with your question.  What I am interested in is seeing how the CS and players are in year 2 of the program.  Lets hope there is improvement across the board... 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

So nice job coaches that you need a full season to recognize that. Here's your gold star.

• WTF? 1

43 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Or, a first year HC and OC learned on the job and started to turn things around. Not everything has to be so black and white. 

Still would expect one of 32 professional NFL coaches to understand football 101.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

Still would expect one of 32 professional NFL coaches to understand football 101.

The team was going to suck last year regardless.  I like that the coaches are learning and Zach is working his ass off.  The kid wants to be great so we’ll see what happens.    I’m more excited about the talent level across the board for this team.   If Zach poops his pants this year the team is ready for jimmy G to take it pretty far with 1 more solid draft. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

The team was going to suck last year regardless.  I like that the coaches are learning and Zach is working his ass off.  The kid wants to be great so we’ll see what happens.    I’m more excited about the talent level across the board for this team.   If Zach poops his pants this year the team is ready for jimmy G to take it pretty far with 1 more solid draft. 

I want Zach to start every game this season even if he is a trainwreck. We cannot be having this same debate next off season.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Like coach Gruden doing the white board plays with Qb’s entering the draft. He drew up a play, gave some info on what the read is and every players route. 
Erased the board and had Qb draw it all up. Most Qb’s nailed it but it’s all thrown out the window when the “Go Live”

• Post of the Week 1

On Connor Hughes's podcast last week he said something very similar.

This offense is designed to offer the QB as much help as possible (but it still very nuanced and complicated) and there's basically one defensive player he needs to reads to make decisions (something like that)

But Zach was watching hours of film of Brady and Brees and trying to read safeties, LB's (basically the entire defense) and it was just too much to take on.  He should have been focused simply on the one read.

He wants to be those guys and good for him  - but that can take years to get to that point.  Simplify, take what the D gives through the system and progress as a player.  When he has the basics down without thinking - then move to phase 2...but he has a long way to go to just have those basics down.

He also said it seems Flacco helped him understand this as well as when they brought in Beck.  Which I think is why we saw progress when he got back.

Note: They did also say - no QB has been younger than Zach in this system - typically a system with more experienced QB's (except RGIII and he was a different kind of player)

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

On Connor Hughes's podcast last week he said something very similar.

This offense is designed to offer the QB as much help as possible (but it still very nuanced and complicated) and there's basically one defensive player he needs to reads to make decisions (something like that)

But Zach was watching hours of film of Brady and Brees and trying to read safeties, LB's (basically the entire defense) and it was just too much to take on.  He should have been focused simply on the one read.

He wants to be those guys and good for him  - but that can take years to get to that point.  Simplify, take what the D gives through the system and progress as a player.  When he has the basics down without thinking - then move to phase 2...but he has a long way to go to just have those basics down.

He also said it seems Flacco helped him understand this as well as when they brought in Beck.  Which I think is why we saw progress when he got back.

Note: They did also say - no QB has been younger than Zach in this system - typically a system with more experienced QB's (except RGIII and he was a different kind of player)

Agree on everything except the Flacco thing.   I hate when teams expect veterans to be quasi coaches.   We saw that with marky mark and Brunnell.  It’s the coaches job to coach not anyone else, if they can’t do the job then find someone who can, which it looks like the team did this year. 

You mean playing FAU and Troy is different from having to read and execute vs NFL defenses?

All this time Joe Douglas and Saleh would have me believe the “kid” was hands down slam dunk elite.

what an epic scouting fail.  Believing in 13 games of COVID season tape vs a trash schedule behind a relative brick wall college OL.

”You put on the tape and his arm talent just jumps off immediately…”. blah blah, whatever….

sideshow Bob is now suddenly going out of his way to tamp down expectations:  “we don’t need him to be Tom Brady, just to improve” 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Same coaching staff that thought it was smart to start a kid who played college ball in Narnia with an enchanted Online, brand new offense to install with no plan B if kid wasn’t ready except, uhhh, errr, play him till he gets killed? 

No plan B. Boy was I killed for banging that drum last off season.

• Upvote 1

I'm ok with the idea that they took everything they might want in the offense and threw it at him to see what stuck so long as they are serious about cutting out a lot of what doesn't work and give him a more simplified system they can expand down the road. I guess we could complain that they should have known better than to throw so much at him from the start but as long as they learn and improve from the mistake we should continue looking forward at what they can do with the information gained from their mistake. 

• Upvote 1

Well let's see.  OL couldn't handle basic stunts, allowed free runners to QB every other down, receivers running wrong routes, OC too short to see field from sideline, dropped passes everywhere.

Well Mike White did it...yeah and no...Mike White didn't have to survive that Carolina game.

Was this limited to offense?....no

it was 100% coaching fault here.  KISS keep it simple stupid.  I don't know if Zach is next coming of Montana or Mirer.  One thing is for sure, This team was not ready for anyone to be QB in beginning of the season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Same coaching staff that thought it was smart to start a kid who played college ball in Narnia with an enchanted Online, brand new offense to install with no plan B if kid wasn’t ready except, uhhh, errr, play him till he gets killed? 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

No plan B. Boy was I killed for banging that drum last off season.

They DID have a Plan B.  They just refused to put him out there because he made Plan A look bad and they didn't want to hurt his feelings.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1