From WSJ...NfL to push for a minimum 1 year ban for Watson

3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Agreed, but I meant between Watson and the league.  They're going to try to suspend him and it will turn into a very big and ugly deal.  

I'd rather it went away.  Sports are supposed to be my escape from this crap. 

It's interesting. Because of the completely ludicrous contract that dumbass Cleveland gave him (which should have not been approved) Watson might not fight the 1 year ban. If it gets into some protracted court battle and then Watson loses he could have his suspension  in year 2 of his contract and lose $45 million instead. What the NFL should do is put him on the commissioners exempt list until all cases are completed and then suspend him

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Browns gave up 3 first rounders, a third, and a fourth?  Plus the contract.   Plus alienating their current QB.

That GM needs to be fired, he just crushed that franchise.

Where are all the fans here who were saying we should have traded for that piece of human garbage?

That was not a GM decision. That was an owner driven deal no question.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

Article says the NFL wants an indefinite ban with a one year minimum, meaning that he can’t appeal until that first year is up. I don’t think he plays this year. Also interesting is the idea of pushing his entire contract back a year and instead of losing his measly first year salary they would fine him instead, and he’d be another year away from his next free agent payday. 

Yes. Also, if you look at how indefinite suspensions handed down by the league get handled, here's the list since 2007:

Vick (2007) - 2 years

Ray Rice (2014) - overturned on appeal

Adrian Peterson (2014) - 6 mos

Myles Garrett (2019) - 6 mos

Odell Thurman (2008) - never reinstated

Travis Henry (2008) - 4 years

Johnny Jolly (2010) - 3 years

Tanard Jackson (2010) - 1 year

Tanard Jackson (2012) - 2 years

Justin Blackmon (2013) - never reinstated

Fred Davis (2014) - 1 year

Tanard Jackson (yes, again, 2014) - never reinstated

Aldon Smith (2015) - 5 years

Trey Watts (2015) - never reinstated

LaRon Landry (2015) - never reinstated

Silas Redd (2016) - 8 months

Sammie Lee Hill (2016) - never reinstated

Rolando McClain (2016) - never reinstated

Martavis Bryant (2018) - never reinstated

Josh Gordon (2019) - 1 year, then another year after violating the terms of a conditional reinstatement

Most of those last a looong time, even discounting the "never reinstated" fringe guys who no team was interested enough in signing (so they never bothered applying for reinstatement). With 26 separate accusations, if the NFL investigation believes the accusations are real, I'd be surprised if he's back in less than a year and a half. 

52 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

So the Browns will pay Watson $45 million even if he's suspended for a full year? Crazy. 

He already got that signing bonus, yep. But his contract tolls. If the league really wants to screw with the Browns, keep Watson out for 4 years and let him come back in 2026 as a 31 year old who hasn't played in 4 years - and who the Browns will then owe 230M over the next 5 years

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Yes. Also, if you look at how indefinite suspensions handed down by the league get handled, here's the list since 2007:

Vick (2007) - 2 years

Josh Gordon (2019) - 1 year, then another year after violating the terms of a conditional reinstatement

Most of those last a looong time, even discounting the "never reinstated" fringe guys who no team was interested enough in signing (so they never bothered applying for reinstatement). With 26 separate accusations, if the NFL investigation believes the accusations are real, I'd be surprised if he's back in less than a year and a half. 

He already got that signing bonus, yep. But his contract tolls. If the league really wants to screw with the Browns, keep Watson out for 4 years and let him come back in 2026 as a 31 year old who hasn't played in 4 years - and who the Browns will then owe 230M over the next 5 years

I'm with you man. I said in another thread I don't expect him playing in 23 either.  Out of your list are there many sexual harassment/ aussault suspensions? 

I recognize the dog fighting (obviously)  and many others as being DV related. Not sure about others though...

And even if there is I don't think the nfl has seen anything like this in volume before. 

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I think Watson has been settling  most of the cases which IMO says to any women that had sex with him, he is open for business and time to get yours. I am almost certain there will be more women coming forward. 

To me the women he settled with are the women he knows he violated.  Doesn’t mean he’s paying off anyone who files.  But if there are any others out there that were violated they should get theirs.  He’s obviously a predator who needs to pay

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

It'd be a lot easier if the Browns didn't give him that ridiculous contract.  

Could've just black balled him like Kap when his rookie deal expired.  

Because?  It doesn’t have a thing to do with the results of the investigation and whatever suspension will be handed down.  The idiotic union will fight it whether it was a 2 game suspension or a season+.  

53 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Vick (2007) - 2 years

The majority of those suspensions that were overturned where under old CBAs where suspensions were limited, the violations that lead to those suspensions weren’t outlined in the CBA so could be appealed.  This is a different CBA that allows for longer suspensions to a wider range of issues.  

1 hour ago, PorP said:

I'm with you man. I said in another thread I don't expect him playing in 23 either.  Out of your list are there many sexual harassment/ aussault suspensions? 

I recognize the dog fighting (obviously)  and many others as being DV related. Not sure about others though...

And even if there is I don't think the nfl has seen anything like this in volume before. 

A lot of drug-based suspensions, mostly repeat offenders. Generally it's either "you did this a whole hell of a lot" or "you did something really awful"

Watson hits both of those

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

A lot of drug-based suspensions, mostly repeat offenders. Generally it's either "you did this a whole hell of a lot" or "you did something really awful"

Watson hits both of those

Too right bro!

The fact Cleveland signed him and he is still eligable to play in the NFL are embarrassing. 

This suspension could be a bit different or tougher.  Not only do they have to make a good public appearance on the way he treated women, i truly think the suspension will have a kicker to shove it up the Browns azz. The other owners have to get payback for Browns owner giving a fully guaranteed contract.  Violating womens rights is one thing, but how dare the Browns change the contracts to guaranteed , For this, the owners will make the Browns pay.  

• Upvote 2

Good.

• Always weird to hear leaks about these thing. Part of me wonders if this is testing the waters to see how people will react. It looks to me like the NFL waited to read the room and only then decided on a punishment.  

• I cannot believe the Browns made this move. Baker's mediocrity aside, this was an ascending franchise and a truly good story - "The Browns actually have been built right, and look to be dangerous not only in their division, but in the whole of the AFC for the first time in... ever." And now? Not only are they once again a laughing stock, but they've burnt a bridge with Baker (if I were him, I'd say "F U, I'm not playing for you, you traded for a sex pest and gave him 250 mil guaranteed to replace me") and gave up 250 mil and three firsts to do so. 

• Selfishly, this should make week two an easier game. 
  • Upvote 1

Sad that the owners will not back forcing out the Cleveland owner and penalizing the Houston franchise by taking away all the pics they got for Watson for enabling Watson.  

Cleveland should lose their picks and Houston should not get them. 

23 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

The obvious comparison here is Vick, but the difference with Vick was he plead guilty, did his time, accepted what he did and spent quite literally almost all of his free time drawing awareness after the fact and owning up to his mistakes. And the fact that the Eagles brought him back on a small deal when all the dust had settled. There's a PR side to this that takes such a heavy toll, and it's hard to imagine the Browns or Watson being able to overcome the time off in the same way not only due to his denial of everything, but really the lack of available options that Vick had regarding a post-suspension regaining of his image. What's he going to do? Go on a Don't Sexually Assault Massage Therapists campaign? What a mess.

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Like what were the Browns thinking giving him 47 million even if suspended? That was the worst part of the entire deal. Completely pathetic.
The NFL is all kinda of f’d up, considering he hasnt played a game and prob won’t for almost 2.5 years now and still getting paid as a top QB. 

Maybe they can do us the favor of keeping the disfunction spotlight off of the jets by signing Bill Cosby to an $80m 4 year punter contract. 

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The obvious comparison here is Vick, but the difference with Vick was he plead guilty, did his time, accepted what he did and spent quite literally almost all of his free time drawing awareness after the fact and owning up to his mistakes. And the fact that the Eagles brought him back on a small deal when all the dust had settled. There's a PR side to this that takes such a heavy toll, and it's hard to imagine the Browns or Watson being able to overcome the time off in the same way not only due to his denial of everything, but really the lack of available options that Vick had regarding a post-suspension regaining of his image. What's he going to do? Go on a Don't Sexually Assault Massage Therapists campaign? What a mess.

This exactly. My bet is that they get their "indefinite and don't even ask for reinstatement for a year" ban, and that reinstatement will require some serious testimony from therapists, victim organizations, etc. I think it'll be at least a season and a half, probably more.

• Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

This exactly. My bet is that they get their "indefinite and don't even ask for reinstatement for a year" ban, and that reinstatement will require some serious testimony from therapists, victim organizations, etc. I think it'll be at least a season and a half, probably more.

I hope you’re right. 

• Upvote 1

I think one interesting aspect of this is .... did Watson tell the Browns everything and that there was more women who have yet to come forward and they signed him anyway  OR did he say that all of them had already come forward and there's no other victims and he's lied to them o secure a  new contract? 

34 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

I think one interesting aspect of this is .... did Watson tell the Browns everything and that there was more women who have yet to come forward and they signed him anyway  OR did he say that all of them had already come forward and there's no other victims and he's lied to them o secure a  new contract? 

What does it matter at this point? 

I went over this in another thread. The browns already traded away all the picks. It's not just the money. Their options are:

1- Cut him. Lose all those  drafts picks for nothing and then watch the Steelers sign him after the year and lead them to a SB. ZERO percent they cut him and let another team get him for free after the season. 

2- Try to reverse the trade. Perhaps the Texans lied to the Browns but highly unlikely the NFL would force the Texans to give back the picks, especially since they already used 2 of them. 

3- Keep him and have a great QB (warts and all) next year. Let's remember these warts were 90pct known BEFORE they traded him. No idea why things change because the accusers went from like 22 to 26. 

On 6/26/2022 at 9:27 AM, slats said:

Article says the NFL wants an indefinite ban with a one year minimum, meaning that he can’t appeal until that first year is up. I don’t think he plays this year. Also interesting is the idea of pushing his entire contract back a year and instead of losing his measly first year salary they would fine him instead, and he’d be another year away from his next free agent payday. 

Didn’t he already get a signing bonus of about $40 million already, or am I wrong?

11 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Didn’t he already get a signing bonus of about $40 million already, or am I wrong?

Not sure when it was scheduled / paid - but if the team want to they could in theory go after some / all of that if they can prove Watson failed to disclose pertinent information. 

• Upvote 1

The Browns went into this with their eyes wide open.  There were two other teams aggressively competing with them for the right to do the same.

Both the Browns and team Watson knew he was going to be suspended for a year.

Browns calculation is still pretty simple.....Deal with this first year and then have a top 5 QB for the next decade.

Point I'm making is the Browns calculus hasn't changed between then and now.  This is what they wanted and expected.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The Browns went into this with their eyes wide open.  There were two other teams aggressively competing with them for the right to do the same.

Both the Browns and team Watson knew he was going to be suspended for a year.

Browns calculation is still pretty simple.....Deal with this first year and then have a top 5 QB for the next decade.

Point I'm making is the Browns calculus hasn't changed between then and now.  This is what they wanted and expected.

This^ They new it was going to get worse before it got better. I’m sure they can’t wait till their fans applaud the effort that made to get to the Super Bowl and not care at all the QB is a serial sex pest. But they were fully aware it was going to be a bumpy, long and treacherous ride. Only way they lose is he never plays for them. So… he ain’t leaving Cleveland. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/27/2022 at 5:15 AM, RedBeardedSavage said:

Always weird to hear leaks about these thing. Part of me wonders if this is testing the waters to see how people will react. It looks to me like the NFL waited to read the room and only then decided on a punishment.  

Not a big conspiracy guy but I think you are onto something. Why does the NFL have to "push" for anything? Goodell is judge/jury/executioner. He can just do.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

This^ They new it was going to get worse before it got better. I’m sure they can’t wait till their fans applaud the effort that made to get to the Super Bowl and not care at all the QB is a serial sex pest. But they were fully aware it was going to be a bumpy, long and treacherous ride. Only way they lose is he never plays for them. So… he ain’t leaving Cleveland. 

You know how much I like Baker, so I was curious about the Browns fans reaction to all this when they signed Watson.

They reacted pretty much the way I think we, and most other fan bases would. At first it was split about three ways, with one group excited they signed Watson, even though they assumed a suspension would happen. The other two thirds were a combination of Baker supporters  and those who were appalled by the signing.

As time went on though a lot of those in the second two groups began to reconcile with the idea of Watson playing for them. You began to see a bunch of “Baker wasn’t that good anyway” and “he brought this on himself” stuff tempered by “he was the best QB we had in years, but…” stuff. Then a lot of those in the group who hated the idea of signing a sexual predator began to say things like “it’s time to move on from this, he’s our QB”.

The point here is that fans are going to fan. We all think we have our limits to who we’ll root for, but at the end of the day most of us will be okay with holding our nose and justify rooting for someone we’d never associate with in our real lives… as long as they helped our team win.

20 minutes ago, jgb said:

Not a big conspiracy guy but I think you are onto something. Why does the NFL have to "push" for anything? Goodell is judge/jury/executioner. He can just do.

Under the new agreement though, I’m fairly certain Goodall doesn’t get to decide this. It goes to a mediator. They decide,

That’s why you read the NFL is pushing for x, and the NFLPA will be pushing for Y.

• Upvote 1