Training Camp Tweets - (Previous Days Merged)

19 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Jets fans...I could post that Scarlett Johansson just blew me and people here would find something negative to say..

That said Zach should not really be splitting reps I agree on that

I agree on both counts.  If you get blown by SJ than that probably means she isn't blowing me which would very negative.  On Wilson it is ridiculously early to be counting reps but one heave on a "broken" play and two 3 and outs just sets the wrong tone to kick things off.  Coach should be up his ass demanding they get out there and try again and get at least one freaking first down.  Where's the "positive vibes" for the  1st team offense today?              

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Every snap that Joe Flacco takes is an absolute waste of time. Some really dubious decision making going on over there

Yup.  Why not find out if White can be our backup?  I don't think he is, but take the shot.

Hey, welcome back, Tom.  Nice to see you back on the board with your unique brand of optimism.  lol

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Yup.  Why not find out if White can be our backup?  I don't think he is, but take the shot.

Hey, welcome back, Tom.  Nice to see you back on the board with your unique brand of optimism.  lol

Sending you some positive vibes, my glass-is-half-full brother!

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Less practice times and less pads = CBA

Less reps = 100% on coaching staff. The competitive advantage of coaching is to make the best use of the limited time and it's disappointing that we're not taking advantage. I'm fine with "acclimation period", but that's a joke.

Agreed completely. 

for all the bullets Wilson took last year (rightfully so), it always felt to me that the head coach mostly went relatively unscathed by comparison. I think that changes in a big way this year if the Jets aren’t lightyears better. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Every snap that Joe Flacco takes is an absolute waste of time. Some really dubious decision making going on over there

Bringing Flacco back was an awful decision that I mocked at the time. It should be Wilson and white. No other QBs matter. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I get what you are saying but there are 10 other guys on offense they need to grade. Seeing them with a vet does help grade Zach and the offense overall.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Exactly.  We don't know anything about how this played out.   We know - short run, incomplete pass, sack - punt.

How much of that is on the QB - we have no idea and no tweet will give us that answer.  

We're all on the edge of our seats for any news - but I really do believe these practice tweets do nothing bur further confuse things.

People read into them what they want to believe.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Sorry - but this is BS. I don't care if you think Zach Wilson is worse than Brooks Bollinger or going to be the next Mahomes. He is a 2nd year QB with multiple new weapons and he needs more than seven fn throws. Change the practice structure so the number of snaps isn't dependent on the success of the drive. Give Zach 10 plays, than let Flacco + White have 10 plays split between them. 

People always mention during QB competitions how a prolonged competition is tough due to having to split snaps. I can't imagine that seven throws would be sufficient even if there is a competition but there is none here. Screw the existing structure and let the kid throw the ball more - the entire season depends on it. If Flacco is in we're screwed anyway and I'm pretty sure after 15 years he doesn't need the reps. 

I don't know.  I think it's good incentive. If he wants more plays he can't go three and out.  The offense has to earn their time on the field just like in a game.  I kind of like that.  

22 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Bringing Flacco back was an awful decision that I mocked at the time. It should be Wilson and white. No other QBs matter. 

Flacco is back because Mike White isn't a capable #2.

They made that mistake last year and it cost them a draft pick as soon as Zach went down.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Agreed.

Go read year 2 of Mahomes in TC he was throwing the ball 100 times a practice INT’s everywhere until he figured it out then the INT’s stopped.

LOL

So we are to assume every 2nd year QB with an inordinate number of TO worthy throws in camp will turn out like Patrick Mahomes?

• WTF? 3

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Defense is always a day ahead of the Offense during this phase of camp .. its not new. lol.

It was two drives. 

Games start out ALL THE TIME with early 3 and outs.    It wasn't three fumbles, three INT's...

It was a couple of 3 and outs - it happens. 

Now, to the point of where everyone is saying it should have been more than 2 drive - surely I agree with that...

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I get what you are saying but there are 10 other guys on offense they need to grade. Seeing them with a vet does help grade Zach and the offense overall.

I don't know - honestly, if Zach is that bad in practice that you can't get a read on the players around him - then Zach shouldn't be playing.

That certainly doesn't seem to be the case.  To date Zach's camp has been pretty solid. 

Two three and outs in the first padded practice - where, from what I can tell,  he threw 2 passes isn't exactly a reason to assume that's what's happening.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It was two drives. 

Games start out ALL THE TIME with early 3 and outs.    It wasn't three fumbles, three INT's...

Now, to the point of where everyone is saying it should have been more than 2 drive - surely I agree with that...

I know this is now considered trolling here but you notice patterns with new coaches. I was concerned about the lack of reps for Wilson in preseason last year too. Wilson was a project prospect with limited action at a small program. He got limited action in preseason game last year while Mac Jones was playing into the second half. These young players need reps in order to improve. I honestly don’t get Salehs approach on managing this. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They made that mistake last year and it cost them a draft pick as soon as Zach went down.  

LOL how did Mike White play himself out of the backup QB job?

He threw for 4 bills in a comeback win over the Bengals, got freak injured throwing a TD pass in prime time vs the Colts, and then went 24/44 for 251 despite the 4 INTs vs the Bills #1 overall pass D.

When he got his chance vs the Bills, Wilson went 7/20 for 87 yards and 1 TD where Crowder basically took a slant to the house.

MFW was sacked once vs the Bills. 

Wilson got sacked 8 (!) times by a Bills D in week 18 playing scrubs and trying to get healthy for the postseason.

MFW also had to face a Bills squad with Tredavious White, who was on IR when Wilson faced them to close out the year.

If Mike White isn't a capable #2 based on 2.5 games of evidence, what is Zach Wilson?

The Jets burned a draft pick because Joe Douglas is obsessed with a dinosaur QB from his salad days in Baltimore, and unlike with previous sad-sack Jet regimes, the head coach now takes his marching orders from the GM.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That's an interesting take.

White was, IMO, absolutely adequate in his play time as the backup QB forced to play.  Including the Buffalo game his detractors love to harp on.  I would have no problem, if Zach were to go down again, to play Mike White for several games as needed.  The biggest concern with White would be his health/reliability, not his play on the field.  He's shown himself to be quite fragile.

The "cost a draft pick" was entirely the error of the front office.  For all their good decision making, this was an abject failure, a panic move that didn't need to happen.  We were more than adequate at backup with White/Johnson, Flacco wasn't needed, certainly not for playing as the #2.  His re-acquisition was much about providing post-injury Wilson a mentor as it was any fears of playing White/Johnson at backup QB in a season already lost in any meaningful way by that point.  If you recall, the Wilson-led Jets were 1-5 when Zach was hurt.  It was hardly harmful to our infinitesimal playoff chances at that point to play a White as the backup.

Coaches love Veterans the way little babies love their wooby blankets.  JD and Saleh panicked.  And now we have Flacco again, so if Zach goes down again, they won;t have to publicly panic, they'll already have their wooby (and White) here to do with as needed.

All this to say, Wilson (as the uncontested #1) and White (as the #2 and Flacco (as the clipboard holding mentor for Zach) is fine.  If Zach goes down, and there is any chance of still making something of the season, I will be hoping it's White who plays first, not 2-11 since leaving Baltimore Flacco.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Matt39 said:

I know this is now considered trolling here but you notice patterns with new coaches. I was concerned about the lack of reps for Wilson in preseason last year too. Wilson was a project prospect with limited action at a small program. He got limited action in preseason game last year while Mac Jones was playing into the second half. These young players need reps in order to improve. I honestly don’t get Salehs approach on managing this. 

Ha...

I couldn't agree with you more.  I think these guys, especially a guy like Zach, clearly needs reps - and a lot of them. 

I just get the sense Saleh is panicked about injuries.  

Zach played when just about the whole team was out - let him play....

With such limited about of these padded practices - and I suspect they likely matter the most to ZW.  Having to deal with live pressure is how he's going to get better.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Gee guys, it was great to see them out there in pads today!

Everyone looked great, it’s obvious the CS has the team right on schedule!

Zach looks terrific, I’m sure he’s going to be fun to watch this year!

Woody is back, which is great, and I’m thankful for Joe Douglas!

I’m going to play some golf now!

#pvo

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

when the offense doesn't win it's because the defense is dominant 

when the defense doesn't win it's because the offense is amazing

honestly, today could have been the greatest practice ever in franchise history. 

anyway you look at it, it's sunglasses time because the future looks bright 

ooo wee!!

good times all the time - it's 5 o clock somewhere

Party Dancing GIF by Florida Georgia Line

P.V.O.  

45 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Sending you some positive vibes, my glass-is-half-full brother!

There.   Was that so hard? 

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Ha...

I couldn't agree with you more.  I think these guys, especially a guy like Zach, clearly needs reps - and a lot of them. 

I just get the sense Saleh is panicked about injuries.  

Zach played when just about the whole team was out - let him play....

With such limited about of these padded practices - and I suspect they likely matter the most to ZW.  Having to deal with live pressure is how he's going to get better.

Sometimes injuries or injuries being a problem is a sign of what players feel like they can get away with too.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

Sometimes injuries or injuries being a problem is a sign of what players feel like they can get away with too.

Note sure I agree with this.  It's counter-logical for players, whose future income will be based on the quality of play and health reliability, to actively want to be benched as hurt in the Not-For-Long NFL.  Being hurt is about the worst thing that can happen to a player for his long term financial outlook.  So I'm not sure there is this theorized mass of players just looking to fake injuries as quickly as they can under a soft coach.  One off's, sure.  More than that...I have my doubts.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That's an interesting take.

White was, IMO, absolutely adequate in his play time as the backup QB forced to play.  Including the Buffalo game his detractors love to harp on.  I would have no problem, if Zach were to go down again, to play Mike White for several games as needed.  The biggest concern with White would be his health/reliability, not his play on the field.  He's shown himself to be quite fragile.

The "cost a draft pick" was entirely the error of the front office.  For all their good decision making, this was an abject failure, a panic move that didn't need to happen.  We were more than adequate at backup with White/Johnson, Flacco wasn't needed, certainly not for playing as the #2.  His re-acquisition was much about providing post-injury Wilson a mentor as it was any fears of playing White/Johnson at backup QB in a season already lost in any meaningful way by that point.  If you recall, the Wilson-led Jest were 1-5 when Zach was hurt.  It was hardly harmful to our infinitesimal playoff chances at that point to play a White as the backup.

Coaches love Veterans the way little babies love their wooby blankets.  JD and Saleh panicked.  And now we have Flacco again, so if Zach goes down again, they won;t have to publicly panic, they'll already have their wooby (and White) here to do with as needed.

I think I see this slightly differently.

Zach gets hurt - Jets immediately go out and sign Flacco.

By all accounts they signed Flacco to start - Mike White would then be JF's back up.  He was forced to start White as JF wasn't ready - and then White had the hall of fame performance. So he got another start.

Mike White wasn't a rookie - he's been around the league 4 years.  JD knew what he had in him and with that knew he needed to get someone else to fill in for the 4 weeks Zach was going to be out.  Flacco was the logical choice.

I believe Flacco is back to be the #2 because the Jets don't have faith in Mike White being able to carry the team if Wilson goes down for an extended period of time.

Lastly, I think last year was a calculated risk that didn't work out for JD.  Roll with youth in the QB room - knowing they were going to live or die with Wilson - If he doesn't get hurt they save $3mm to $4mm...If he does then you go out a make a move and give up a late round pick. It didn't work out for them - but, under the circumstances, I was okay with that gamble.

It's not just Zach. I'd like to see the entire first team offense and defense get more than two 3-and-out drives in the unscripted 11 on 11 portion of practice. Players like Tomlinson, Uzomah, Conklin, Breece, Garrett Wilson, Sauce, Reed, Whitehead, etc. can certainly use the reps to gain some chemistry/experience together on a new team.

Nobody cares about Flacco throwing to Jeff Smith and Mike White handing the ball off to Perine going against second team linebackers and secondaries. At some point the coach needs to decide that the plan going into practice needs to be adjusted to give the players that matter most the opportunities that matter most.

With all that said, there are plenty of practices and preseason games left this summer.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think that's very fair.   I think we'll know pretty early.

Last year the defense talent was terrible and then the injuries mounted and it got worse.  Really tough to judge Saleh's ability to motivate.  No doubt the team looked flat pretty often - but It was a mess all around...

There is talent and depth now - we need to see real passion.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It was two drives. 

What makes it look bad is Flacco put together a TD drive and White got them inside the 5. I agree  it was only 2 drives and likely means nothing, but having good drives from the other 2 QB's invites criticism.  

• Upvote 1