Denzel Mims

Jet hustle

Those in this thread saying we should cut Denzel, like @Charlie Brown, who are you elevating off the PS or picking up off the FA scrap heap if/when our WR corps suffers an injury or 2?  

FYI here are the "top" FA WR's currently available.  Not exactly an impressive list:

• Will Fuller
  • Odell Beckham
  • T.Y. Hilton
  • Cole Beasley
  • Emmanuel Sanders
  • Allen Hurns
  • Albert Wilson
  • DeSean Jackson
  • Danny Amendola
  • Chris Conley
  • Adam Humphries
  • Mohamed Sanu
  • Dede Westbrook
  • Tajae Sharpe

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Those in this thread saying we should cut Denzel, like @Charlie Brown, who are you elevating off the PS or picking up off the FA scrap heap if/when our WR corps suffers an injury or 2?  

FYI here are the "top" FA WR's currently available.  Not exactly an impressive list:

• Will Fuller
  • Odell Beckham
  • T.Y. Hilton
  • Cole Beasley
  • Emmanuel Sanders
  • Allen Hurns
  • Albert Wilson
  • DeSean Jackson
  • Danny Amendola
  • Chris Conley
  • Adam Humphries
  • Mohamed Sanu
  • Dede Westbrook
  • Tajae Sharpe

Is OBJ healthy enough to play yet?

A couple of these guys will eventually find work before the season's over, after teams are facing the realities of their WRs' injuries & bustitude. Fuller, Beasley, Sanders, maybe Hilton. Probably others, depending on the type of receiver a team needs, even in a more limited role. 

It's not like none of these guys can play anymore. Just that this early teams want to see what else they have first, and maybe some don't want a low-upside veteran to have that early edge over a high-upside rookie who'd have gotten better over the season with more playing time. Hard to get into the head of every team's GM + HC/OC/WRC.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

• Will Fuller
  • Odell Beckham
  • T.Y. Hilton
  • Cole Beasley
  • Emmanuel Sanders
  • Allen Hurns
  • Albert Wilson
  • DeSean Jackson
  • Danny Amendola
  • Chris Conley
  • Adam Humphries
  • Mohamed Sanu
  • Dede Westbrook
  • Tajae Sharpe

It seems strange to challenge with "who are you gonna call?" and then post a list with several guys on it that have been playing better than Mims.  I guess he knows the O, but still...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It seems strange to challenge with "who are you gonna call?" and then post a list with several guys on it that have been playing better than Mims.  I guess he knows the O, but still...

Right, I was asking who they want to sign.  A legitimate question.  

My whole point is that if you're gonna just cut ties with Mims just to cut him, you need to have a plan in place when the inevitable injury occurs.  You're either ending up with a PS guy or a vet.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right, I was asking who they want to sign.  A legitimate question.  

My whole point is that if you're gonna just cut ties with Mims just to cut him, you need to have a plan in place when the inevitable injury occurs.  You're either ending up with a PS guy or a vet.

Fair enough.  I always wonder what people get out of cutting somebody like Mims.  Is it just not having him around eases anxiety?  Guys like Mims and Zuniga obviously didn't work out, but they are athletic guys that have been in the system, so what do you gain by cutting them?  He isn't costing anything.  Maybe if they have a huge run of injuries at another position, but with the return from IR rules, that is less an issue than the olden days.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Fair enough.  I always wonder what people get out of cutting somebody like Mims.  Is it just not having him around eases anxiety?  Guys like Mims and Zuniga obviously didn't work out, but they are athletic guys that have been in the system, so what do you gain by cutting them?  He isn't costing anything.  Maybe if they have a huge run of injuries at another position, but with the return from IR rules, that is less an issue than the olden days.

I guess they think Mims sticking directly cost us a guy like Jason Pinnock or something.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pointman said:

Doesn't matter who else is out there if their name isn't Garrett Wilson.

I find it interesting that Moore did not have a bigger game.  He made his catches and looked extremely competent, but he did not get YAC at all.  That was what made him explode in the Mike White game.  I am hoping that Wilson breaking out will pay dividends for Moore and Davis.  Those guys should be able to beat up on CB3

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I find it interesting that Moore did not have a bigger game.  He made his catches and looked extremely competent, but he did not get YAC at all.  That was what made him explode in the Mike White game.  I am hoping that Wilson breaking out will pay dividends for Moore and Davis.  Those guys should be able to beat up on CB3

I am just not really sold on the hype train that is Moore. So much chatter about him being 'the guy' but haven't seen too much backing it up. Garrett just explodes off the page with what he brings to the eye test.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Weird they didnt honor his trade request if there were truly some inquiries.  What's the point of keeping him to just deactivate him every game?

Do you really think there were any inquiries? I can’t see a team giving up anything but a low conditional for him and even that’s high

27 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mimsy is insurance if Corey Davis goes down.  Unless someone gives us a 3rd which nobody will.

Smart by our GM.  Nothing wrong with having great depth at the wr position.  Its a long season.

Mims wishes he was as good as Davis. Who is a mediocre wr to begin with 

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Weird they didnt honor his trade request if there were truly some inquiries.  What's the point of keeping him to just deactivate him every game?

Depth...

We've dealt with so many injuries over the years, I'm happier having Mims on the bench in case someone goes down than getting a 6th for him.

• Upvote 3

It is too early to start projecting the 2023 Jets Roster, but the Jets are starting to develop the cap issues more typical of a good team.

I don’t think paying Corey Davis or Carl Lawson is going to make sense next season.  Mims will have an opportunity to step up in a contract year for him.  My guess is that when someone gets injured, which will happen, we will get Mims the Headcase again.  I am hopeful that next season Mims, playing for a contract like he was against the Giants in Preseason, will look better.

But Fant and McGovern need to get extended/replaced, Duane Brown is now on the roster in 2023, Mosley restructured so he is not easily cut, Quinnen is at his 5th year option, we will need another LB, etc.   There is still a role to be played by Mims, if nothing else a comp pick in 2025.   

27 minutes ago, varjet said:

It is too early to start projecting the 2023 Jets Roster, but the Jets are starting to develop the cap issues more typical of a good team.

I don’t think paying Corey Davis or Carl Lawson is going to make sense next season.  Mims will have an opportunity to step up in a contract year for him.  My guess is that when someone gets injured, which will happen, we will get Mims the Headcase again.  I am hopeful that next season Mims, playing for a contract like he was against the Giants in Preseason, will look better.

But Fant and McGovern need to get extended/replaced, Duane Brown is now on the roster in 2023, Mosley restructured so he is not easily cut, Quinnen is at his 5th year option, we will need another LB, etc.   There is still a role to be played by Mims, if nothing else a comp pick in 2025.   

@Jetsfan80.............

This answer makes sense and essentially answers the rhetorical question of why keep Mims at all?

The answer is Mims is NOT a Bum and could have a marginal benefit to the team at worst and he should not be cut.

Let's Go Jets!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Simple, if Mims is such a Bum and can't help the team, let him Go!  What is the point of keeping him????

This really is the million dollar question, and it's largely centered on JD's first ever draft and the value he's placed on Mims (and to some extent Becton) vs. what the market is saying. Whether its draft picks or stock picks, it's human nature to hold on to losers hoping they'll turn around...

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Seriously 

The day can’t come fast enough when I don’t have to hear about this guy anymore.

He’s never going to be anything more than the 5th or 6th wideout on a teams depth chart before he eventually fades out of the league entirely.

There’s a long line of WR’s drafted in the 2nd round who simply sucked. And Mims is one of them.

I thought you meant berrios.