Max Mitchell

HawkeyeJet

21 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's very, very early.

But so far, every one of the 7 guys we drafted have been on the field.  And except for Ruckert so far, everyone of them has made plays.  It's pretty unprecedented in this place.  Enjoy the ride.

and if we lose to the Bengals someone will bump the " Fire JD " thread. LOL

the 2020 draft.... he signed Ryan Kalil .... how can i live with this guy! LMAO

• Haha 2

Mitchell has been very solid against two good lines.  Assuming he continues to get better and build strength I believe he is the RT Iof the future.

The bigger question is Fant.  If he can get back to tyeblevelnofnplayblastbuear, does he stay at LT?  I would think so lol as to me it would be too risky to pitna 37yr old coming off of unity with no familiarity of our system at LT and the current LT at RT.  Let this unit grow.  Could be develop into a pretty decent line

• Upvote 2

Rewatching game now and Mitchell shows excellent agility and athleticism for his size. You see he gets overpowered more often than not and he’s adjusting to the speed of PRs like  Clowney. Even on the FF by Clowney, Mitchell is shadowing  well but Clowney was savvy enough to stick his arm out for the fumble since he couldn’t beat Mitchell for the sack. Mitchel has flaws but will improve, he has the tools to stick. Easy remedies, just needs more playing experience and an offseason of pro strength & conditioning with weight gain. We got a keeper. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

“Mitchell was the highest-graded tackle in all of college football in 2021. He earned a 94.8 overall grade while playing right tackle for the Ragin' Cajuns after allowing only 13 pressures across 430 pass-blocking snaps.” PFF

Players with this type of ability have the smarts and the technique to play the position especially when they don't embarrass themselves in their first 2 games. It seems to me this kid needs to build his strength get used to the speed of the NFL and he will be a fine RT .

• Upvote 2

JD has a tough decision on Fant.  

Mitchell will not survive 17 games with his college body.  He needs a year of training. Hopefully Brown can come back and Fant go back to the right.  I wish Brown could play right.  Brown was an impulse buy. 

Who plays next year?  We own Brown and Becton’s contracts.  Mitchell is signed for 4 years cheap.  I think Fant is going to be the odd man out.  Will he play RT smiling this year?

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So I am not generally a “tape watcher” but usually do go back and watch the TV broadcast at least once.  That said, I haven’t been able to rewatch either game so far and wasn’t able to watch either game in its entirety.

My question for all you fine people is how good has Mitchell been?  I have barely noticed him in the pieces of live game I have watched, which is usually a good start.

Goof for a 4th rd rookie good?  Out playing his draft position good?  Damn we might have a serious steal good?

The one thing that has stood out for me so far, is when he dove for the loose ball like 5 yards away, like he was diving to save his life.  That energy, that determination, gave me some insight into the player I feel we got in Max.  

Right now, If I had to judge him, I would say that he is a good 4th round draft pick.  Whether  he develops into the answer at right tackle, or is a quality back up remains to be seen, and only time will tell as the season goes on, and even into next season.  

The bottom line is that he held his own, and circumstances with injuries have actually done Max and the Jets a favor, because Max can develop in real time, being thrown into the fire as it were.  

I remember seeing him in the locker room after the game, and he was so elated and thrilled to be a part of this team, and a part of the win.  I don't remember seeing the same enthusiasm and passion in Edoga as I see in Max.  That might be unfair since I haven't really paid attention to Edoga, but for whatever reason, I'm seeing it in Max.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, varjet said:

We own Brown and Becton’s contracts.

Yes, but Becton will be in his 4th and final year of his contract next season.  I don't know what the Jets would owe him if he was to be cut before next year, but Brown is certainly the guy we must keep next season, due to his contract.

9 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Mitchell has been very solid against two good lines.  Assuming he continues to get better and build strength I believe he is the RT Iof the future.

The bigger question is Fant.  If he can get back to tyeblevelnofnplayblastbuear, does he stay at LT?  I would think so lol as to me it would be too risky to pitna 37yr old coming off of unity with no familiarity of our system at LT and the current LT at RT.  Let this unit grow.  Could be develop into a pretty decent line

Fant can leave (comp pick!). 

We have Brown at LT and Becton as swing next year. 

Draft another tackle in the 4th to develop. 

• Upvote 2

What Mitchell hitting would mean for the team is indicative of how important mid round draft picks are and the absolute dearth of production the Jets have gotten from them recently.

Mitchell giving the team league average RT play the the three years after this one allows the Jets to use resources so differently - the Jets most recently paid a veteran swing tackle $10m a year to start at RT and we had board members advocating to use the fourth overall pick on a RT this last draft. Not worrying about the position for like $1m a year would be awesome.

• Sympathy 2

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

The good news about Max is that strength is the easiest thing to increase. If he has the instinct and technique, these are very positive signs for his future.

He has the feet! Above all else which is key and more important than brute strength in this scheme. Why Mitchell could eventually replace Fant at LT and Becton was performing poorly in this scheme where his feet are more crucial to blocking success than actual strength 

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

He has the feet! Above all else which is key and more important than brute strength in this scheme. Why Mitchell could eventually replace Fant at LT and Becton was performing poorly in this scheme where his feet are more crucial to blocking success than actual strength 

You are correct. Someone ping Rex.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, varjet said:

JD has a tough decision on Fant.  

Mitchell will not survive 17 games with his college body.  He needs a year of training. Hopefully Brown can come back and Fant go back to the right.  I wish Brown could play right.  Brown was an impulse buy. 

Who plays next year?  We own Brown and Becton’s contracts.  Mitchell is signed for 4 years cheap.  I think Fant is going to be the odd man out.  Will he play RT smiling this year?

Fant was overhyped by the love of a number of fans eager to contrast his performance to Becton’s -who is not loved- but he was never more than a steady hand at LT, nothing great. JD was wise not to buy high on him this offseason. In Fant’s corner is that he’s out there playing right now, so he has the opportunity to improve and earn a place on the team next year. Despite Tomlinson’s debut, he’s a solid player and there should be no excuses for Fant, although you might have to start to wonder if having AVT next to him was part of the reason for his success. 

But yeah, Brown is under contract and probably already penciled in at LT for next year - as long as he plays well when he steps on the field. Already looking forward to the conversations about Big Ticket next year, who is, indeed, under contract, and is likely to -at the very least- be competing for the RT spot next year. 

If Fant can’t state his case, I agree that he will be the odd man out. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So I am not generally a “tape watcher” but usually do go back and watch the TV broadcast at least once.  That said, I haven’t been able to rewatch either game so far and wasn’t able to watch either game in its entirety.

My question for all you fine people is how good has Mitchell been?  I have barely noticed him in the pieces of live game I have watched, which is usually a good start.

Goof for a 4th rd rookie good?  Out playing his draft position good?  Damn we might have a serious steal good?

It’s early days but he’s not been outclassed and I think the Clowney strip/fumble was just a heck of a play by JC, Mitchell was a fraction late getting across because when they lined up he was on Garrett and the Browns lined Clowney up outside him(so as the outside blocker he’s looking at both Garrett AND Clowney!!!…..MM initially went to cover MG inside but recognised that Clowney had a free run at Flacco and adjusted, pivoted and got back across to block Clowney, enough to push him wide but fractionally too late to prevent Clowney getting his long arms in to make the play. The read and react and the athleticism shown there by Max is promising.

it’s also worth noting the awareness, athleticism and hustle to dive on the Conklin fumble was hugely impressive…..he’s nowhere near when the ball pops out but gets there and recovers the ball in what was a huge play.

otherwise, as others have noted, he’s not been getting routinely beat….even the best OT’s get beat now and then so there will be moments but he’s started solidly and these are real reps in real games that are invaluable. Even a Jason Fabini/Ryan Young career makes his drafting a huge win. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, redlichtie said:

but fractionally too late to prevent Clowney getting his long arms in to make the play. The read and react and the athleticism shown there by Max is promising.

I thought the same thing on that play.  Clowney has crazy long arms, and the fact is that he barely got part of his hand on Flacco's arm as Max was blocking him.  As far as I'm concerned, I can forgive that.  Any right tackle against such a player with such long arms could  have had the same problem there that Max had.  To me, that play is a non-issue, and instead of beating Max up on the play, i give all the credit to Clowney's attributes, which is his very long arms, as well as his crazy athleticism.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Alka said:

I thought the same thing on that play.  Clowney has crazy long arms, and the fact is that he barely got part of his hand on Flacco's arm as Max was blocking him.  As far as I'm concerned, I can forgive that.  Any right tackle against such a player with such long arms could  have had the same problem there that Max had.  To me, that play is a non-issue, and instead of beating Max up on the play, i give all the credit to Clowney's attributes, which is his very long arms, as well as his crazy athleticism.

Agreed, smart play calling by the Browns to line both Garrett & Clowney up that way too

7 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

May Max Mitchell be the next Great Pick on a long line of Jets OLine drafted after the 1st round: Matt ODwyer, Jason Fabini, Ryan Young, Randy Thomas, Kareem McKenzie, etc……

You missed someone.  Joe Fields, who was a center for the NY Jets for many years, and wrote a book with Joe Klecko called "Nose to Nose".  Fields was picked by the Jets in the 14th round, and played 12 solid years with the Jets, and made the Pro Bowl in 1981 and in 1982. 

Picked after the 1st round, and picked when they had 15 rounds, lasted until the 14th round.  

If anyone deserves to be on your Great Pick list of O Linemen picked after the 1st round for the Jets, it is Joe Fields.  

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

What’s his ceiling?  Fabini-level?

I think that would be great.  Jets ruined Fabini when they moved him from RT to LT.  Never worked out.  Just another example of the Jets' decades long malpractice at the GM slot.

23 hours ago, peebag said:

He looked pretty good on most plays - actually guiding the rush end around Flacco on a lot of plays (exception was the strip of Flacco on the Browns 12 yd line but that might be on Flacco not stepping up in the pocket)

Some of the blame on that play has to go to the former #1 overall pick who may not have lived up to that draft slot, but still has put together a pretty good career as a passrusher.

On 9/20/2022 at 11:16 PM, doitny said:

me , you and a few other were the biggest voices about not drafting an OT at 4. we kept telling everyone we could find a good one in the later rounds just like the rest of the league.

now these 2 guys might turn out to be good but it wont matter if Max keeps playing well.

and hopefully this board has learned a lesson and we dont have to go through that again next year where they want to draft the best OT they can get in the 1st rd. 

With the jets on their 4th left tackle of the season and Mitchell playing mediocre football this post aged like milk 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

With the jets on their 4th left tackle of the season and Mitchell playing mediocre football this post aged like milk 

Which of the guys the Jets should’ve taken at 4 is playing well right now? Or are we going to pretend that Tyler Smith was in play?

4 minutes ago, derp said:

Which of the guys the Jets should’ve taken at 4 is playing well right now? Or are we going to pretend that Tyler Smith was in play?

Ikey would have been a fine pick 

The panthers are in every game. When they lose its by 3.

Let me also double down and say they were cheap hiring Gase and should have bought Matt Rhule out of baylor 

Instead it's 2022 and every thread is how the line and the HC stink 

• WTF? 2

Just now, bitonti said:

Let me also double down and say they were cheap hiring Gase and should have bought Matt Rhule out of baylor 

Ekwonu has been terrible and Rhule is about to get fired.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jetland the place where fans cherish other teams failures. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This is the craziest post of the week 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Genuinely if we should lament anything about the tackle situation it’s that they traded away all their day three selections and didn’t have an opportunity to take Braxton Jones, who’s starting at LT for the Bears after they drafted him in the fifth round and has been decent.

Again, the insistence on compiling expensive, replacement level veteran depth instead of trying to draft and develop young guys has been a major flaw to how this team has handled the OL. It’s why they’re going to a known inadequate commodity in McDermott instead of a young guy who might be good enough to play and could improve with reps.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, derp said:

Genuinely if we should lament anything about the tackle situation it’s that they traded away all their day three selections and didn’t have an opportunity to take Braxton Jones, who’s starting at LT for the Bears after they drafted him in the fifth round and has been decent.

Again, the insistence on compiling expensive, replacement level veteran depth instead of trying to draft and develop young guys has been a major flaw to how this team has handled the OL. It’s why they’re going to a known inadequate commodity in McDermott instead of a young guy who might be good enough to play and could improve with reps.

The trade up for JJ hurts. It’s been 3 games but he looks exactly how I expected him to look. The kid had Bryan Thomas written all over him, a good player but not much more.

Just now, kdels62 said:

The trade up for JJ hurts. It’s been 3 games but he looks exactly how I expected him to look. The kid had Bryan Thomas written all over him, a good player but not much more.

Douglas has made a couple big trade ups not counting the Hall one, and IMO when you make those kinds of moves you need the guy to impact the team in a similar way to how Wilson has impacted the team and neither has done that.

Even the AVT trade, cute on paper, they got in before their tier drop - but I think there was a pretty clear drop after Slater. Wild that class had so much talent and the Jets potentially came away with a swing at a QB and a guard.