Fant to IR

Hard to argue that betting on Becton and a "returning from injury Fant" was not a poor strategy.  The RT and RG are good.  LG has proven to be good.  C is mediocre at best.  LT was not handled well in the offseason and we're paying for it.  Clumsy at best for JD on this score.  Actually a poor job.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

Hard to argue that betting on Becton and a "returning from injury Fant" was not a poor strategy.  The RT and RG are good.  LG has proven to be good.  C is mediocre at best.  LT was not handled well in the offseason and we're paying for it.  Clumsy at best for JD on this score.  Actually a poor job.  

How is drafting a bust and signing two starting quality LT a poor job?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

Saleh on Monday: Day to Day. We'll see where he's at on Wednesday.

Tuesday: 4 weeks.

Is it that hard for him to say we are waiting for a medical update.  This has happened so many times, you would think he would learn to keep quiet about injuries for a couple of days until the medicals come into focus.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think this pretty much solidifies their offseason plans then, which is that they don't involve Fant as the returning veteran LT. I kinda thought that already, with his & Brown's contracts as they were, but now I don't see any way Fant is a Jet next year. 

Brown will return sooner or later (preferably sooner, of course); Becton will be at worst a camp body for as long as that lasts; I'd prefer another swing tackle like Remmers (i.e. not McDermott); and that really ought to be enough to head into the draft with an eye on taking one early (day 2 at the very latest, depending who's there when they pick).

They're going to have to plan for Brown/Becton to be enough for a 2023 rookie to have the luxury of starting out in camp as the LT3 no matter where he's drafted, and make him earn it. Every spring they can't keep planning the tackle position like they need 3 starter-caliber backups. 

They'll even be due for a comp pick back for Fant, depending how many other UFAs they sign & don't re-sign. Should be a non-factor in their decision-making, but it's a bonus.

Pretty much.  Figuring out whether either of Becton-Brown is a gross enough decision.  Letting Fant walk seems easy.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Is it that hard for him to say we are waiting for a medical update.  This has happened so many times, you would think he would learn to keep quiet about injuries for a couple of days until the medicals come into focus.

While I don't think him being inaccurate on these things really matters..

McDaniel: "Tua will do everything he can to play.  Happy with the way he’s, so far, progressed. And feel very optimistic because of how he’s going about it."

McDermott: "We're constantly evaluating and when we have something definitive we'll let you know. I can't give you a timeline until we know more."

Belichick: "I can neither confirm nor deny if that player is still alive."

All of the other AFC East teams have a significant injury or injuries and none of them have this strange difficulty with communicating about them. 

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think this pretty much solidifies their offseason plans then, which is that they don't involve Fant as the returning veteran LT. I kinda thought that already, with his & Brown's contracts as they were, but now I don't see any way Fant is a Jet next year. 

Brown will return sooner or later (preferably sooner, of course); Becton will be at worst a camp body for as long as that lasts; I'd prefer another swing tackle like Remmers (i.e. not McDermott); and that really ought to be enough to head into the draft with an eye on taking one early (day 2 at the very latest, depending who's there when they pick).

They're going to have to plan for Brown/Becton to be enough for a 2023 rookie to have the luxury of starting out in camp as the LT3 no matter where he's drafted, and make him earn it. Every spring they can't keep planning the tackle position like they need 3 starter-caliber backups. 

They'll even be due for a comp pick back for Fant, depending how many other UFAs they sign & don't re-sign. Should be a non-factor in their decision-making, but it's a bonus.

McDermott has naked pictures of JD eating chocolate...he is Jet for life.

• Upvote 2