Fant to IR

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It looks so much worse because of Brown's injury. There were so many veteran tackles available, with LT experience, that it wasn't as ridiculous as it seems now. What we're seeing is a near worst-case scenario of losing 3 starting LTs before the end of September. The number that typically causes problems for a team is one.

At least Mitchell seems a quick learner. Hearing from people who know these prospects far better than I, that he was supposed to be raw; that plus then seeing him looking less than stellar in preseason action, I was ready for much worse at RT right from week 1. I don't know what his ceiling is, but at least his floor isn't as low as feared, and this is at what should be his very worst as a raw rookie. Douglas owes him at least a handjob.

For what it’s worth I think the thing with Mitchell wasn’t so much that he was raw, but that he would have benefitted from added strength. General idea was that he’d  benefit from a year out so it a distinction with a slight difference, but I think it’s less surprising he’s showed okay than if he was actually raw. He had a really good last year in college,

This is also exactly why it’s nice to have backups who are draft picks and might actually step in and be capable instead of backups who are know commodities as replacement level NFL players and nothing more.

40 minutes ago, derp said:

For what it’s worth I think the thing with Mitchell wasn’t so much that he was raw, but that he would have benefitted from added strength. General idea was that he’d  benefit from a year out so it a distinction with a slight difference, but I think it’s less surprising he’s showed okay than if he was actually raw. He had a really good last year in college,

This is also exactly why it’s nice to have backups who are draft picks and might actually step in and be capable instead of backups who are know commodities as replacement level NFL players and nothing more.

I’ll take yours or anyone’s word for it over my own. I know next to nothing about these guys when they’re drafted.

Obviously good backups are good. Draft picks are better when they perform well. The other side of that coin is most of those day 3 picks aren’t as good as bleh journeymen, who have lasted this long in the league and at least have experience going for them. But no doubt the upside is typically higher. Sometimes a previous nobody becomes a solid or better starter, but yeah, it isn’t the norm. Usually for a very brief still-in stint the veteran backup is preferable. Of course not always.

Anyway I’m glad Mitchell is looking like he’ll belong on the field. Been only 3 games, but it’s encouraging. Even more so given dyne NYJs attempted more passes than anyone in the league and you would be hard pressed to find a less mobile QB to block for.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’ll take yours or anyone’s word for it over my own. I know next to nothing about these guys when they’re drafted.

Obviously good backups are good. Draft picks are better when they perform well. The other side of that coin is most of those day 3 picks aren’t as good as bleh journeymen, who have lasted this long in the league and at least have experience going for them. But no doubt the upside is typically higher. Sometimes a previous nobody becomes a solid or better starter, but yeah, it isn’t the norm. Usually for a very brief still-in stint the veteran backup is preferable. Of course not always.

Anyway I’m glad Mitchell is looking like he’ll belong on the field. Been only 3 games, but it’s encouraging. Even more so given dyne NYJs attempted more passes than anyone in the league and you would be hard pressed to find a less mobile QB to block for.

I think there’s a twofold benefit to the young guy. One being upside in season, and the other being the potential to show enough to start 2-3 years on his rookie deal if he showed enough in the first year or two to get a job. Rookie contracts are gold. Better than paying Laken Tomlinson $13M a year.

To your point they’re more volatile so you don’t want the whole OL to be developmental draft picks. If you’re carrying four backups then something like one established player and one developmental guy each at both tackle and on the interior would be good. And then ideally a rookie deal guy who shows enough can step into either the established backup role or a starting role so that you can bring in another draft pick for the developmental slot and keep a pipeline rolling.

As it is now every guy who expires needs to be replaced by a FA or a high draft pick. It’s not sustainable or good team building.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, derp said:

I think there’s a twofold benefit to the young guy. One being upside in season, and the other being the potential to show enough to start 2-3 years on his rookie deal if he showed enough in the first year or two to get a job. Rookie contracts are gold. Better than paying Laken Tomlinson $13M a year.

To your point they’re more volatile so you don’t want the whole OL to be developmental draft picks. If you’re carrying four backups then something like one established player and one developmental guy each at both tackle and on the interior would be good. And then ideally a rookie deal guy who shows enough can step into either the established backup role or a starting role so that you can bring in another draft pick for the developmental slot and keep a pipeline rolling.

As it is now every guy who expires needs to be replaced by a FA or a high draft pick. It’s not sustainable or good team building.

Agree with all this and was hoping he’d get in the field later on so they wouldn’t think their backs were to the wall and had to sign some proven veteran RT. Wasn’t expecting week 1, but trial by fire. And yes they get 3 dirt cheap years.

As things stand the only starting veteran OL position I think they’re looking to invest in is C. Brown and Becton = enough penciled in at LT to head into the draft looking for another long term one. Then it’s a clean slate to part with both veterans in ‘24 as the contracts expire for both.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree with all this and was hoping he’d get in the field later on so they wouldn’t think their backs were to the wall and had to sign some proven veteran RT. Wasn’t expecting week 1, but trial by fire. And yes they get 3 dirt cheap years.

As things stand the only starting veteran OL position I think they’re looking to invest in is C. Brown and Becton = enough penciled in at LT to head into the draft looking for another long term one. Then it’s a clean slate to part with both veterans in ‘24 as the contracts expire for both.

Yeah, I also think that legitimate left tackles don’t really hit the market plays into that not being a position they’ll target in free agency. But they’ve got enough to kick that down the curb.

Even left tackle next year has what, an eight figure free agent from the prior year and a former first round pick thrown at it and we’re still calling it a question mark.

Would’ve theoretically been pretty easy to draft a center…any of the last three drafts…and potentially not needed to spend what will likely amount to eight figures annually on a guy.

Being able to pencil Mitchell in at RT after this year would be great. He and Clemons have a shot to be the only round three or later players not named Michael Carter to play a key role to the end of their rookie deals.

14 hours ago, bitonti said:

So @slats, I seem to recall many conversations we had in the spring where you insisted that the line was fine and they did not need to draft another one high

Care to revisit this?

Anytime. 

The Jets lost three starters at OT, two before the season started, and one in the third game of the year. No NFL team is in position to lose three starters at any position. To pretend otherwise would be disingenuous at the very least. If two of Becton, Fant, and Brown were playing right now, the Jets OL would be perfectly fine, and it would’ve been a ridiculous waste of resources to draft a third OL in the first round three years in a row. Max Mitchell -taken in the fourth round- is currently performing at a higher level than the two guys you would’ve drafted at #4 overall. Meanwhile, both Sauce and GWilson look like studs. It was absolutely the right call. It was correct in theory, and so far looks correct given the specific players involved. 

If Brown comes back and plays at an acceptable level, the Jets will once again be in decent shape. And he’s under contract for next season, so there could easily no reason to take an OL in the first round again next year. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

12 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Duane Brown is 37 years old. He is long past the time in which a tackle should start to decline. He's defied the odds to this point but it's absolutely guaranteed that at some point in the very near future that his play will drop off a cliff, if it hasn't already. Indeed Seahawks fans had already pointed out that he was dropping off. 

I don't know if you're serious about the second paragraph - You don't know what else he could do? Maybe not let his starting RT walk in free agency for a start? - No one is saying we had to waste a high pick of the draft. Even if you still like Becton you can prepare without him and let any contribution come as a welcome surprise.  Brown wasn't even a reaction to Becton's injury - They were in for him before that - After ignoring the crimson red flags that were waving for over 12 months they seen him in person and realist, in August, that the guy they'd bet on can't be relied on.

It's a shambles. No one is denying that Douglas had a plan, but his plan was garbage. 

I know, JD should have gone to the LT tree where LTs are plentiful. here is the thing that most people don't get; all plans have risk/reward calculations and more importantly opportunity costs. Drafting an LT would have meant either no Sauce or no GW. Let's assume Becton came back and was healthy and Fant was healthy enough to play  - the board would have gone crazy - how can you waste another top 10 pick on an LT.

His plan was to have  Becton and Fant start and Max eventually replace Becton at RT and he would move to LT and they would let Fant walk. Fant is coming into a contract year, so expectations were that he would play hard. Becton goes down and Brown was signed. While not great, he was the best available stop gap for a year - he would play LT and Fant would play RT and max would back him up. It was the best option at the time and had he not gotten hurt, the OL would have been okay - not great, but OK. And, if Fant got hurt Max was there.

Garbage plan? not really; while preserving the top drafts for key needs, it was a manageable plan. The reason it went to crap is that we lost 3 LTs to injury. Really, he should have planned for that? What if he drafted a LT instead of GW? where would our O be then? What about the future of the team? While counting on Becton was a stretch, counting on either Becton, Fant, and then Brown (with no injury history) was not.

Why did he sign a 37 year old LT as a stop gap? Because at the time, he was the best option. Ravens are on their 3rd LT - no body is calling for the GMs head. The difference, the Ravens have a better team with more depth and they have a QB that can move around in the pocket (it is his strength).

In a vacuum what you are saying makes sense, why not have a ton of LTs, but in the world where you have limited picks, and team with a ton of holes, and where the entire league needs an LT and a backup LT, the plan was reasonable - it just went wrong. Just like when a team takes a chance a draft pick knowing it is a risk and the player doesn't pan out, people go, what a dump pick - there is risk/reward built into these calculations and sometimes it doesn't work out.

• Post of the Week 3

Really the only thing we can criticize fairly is JD’s choice to let Moses go, but even then replaced him with Brown (who looks to be coming back in the next few weeks).  Only way this was a downgrade was due to age and position (LT vs RT)

I just don’t understand people who point out Becton and Fant’s injury history.  Was JD supposed to cut them?  Was he supposed to sign two more starting OTs so that Fant and Becton could just sit on the bench and not risk getting injured?  The only thing he could’ve done was keep Moses, who in HINDSIGHT, is a more reliable player than Brown (again only due to age).

Sometimes you need to just roll with what you have and hope the top 3 players at a position don’t get injured lol.  JD’s tackle issue isn’t why this defense is a*s and we’re throwing the ball with Flacco 55 times.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, slats said:

Anytime. 

The Jets lost three starters at OT, two before the season started, and one in the third game of the year. No NFL team is in position to lose three starters at any position. To pretend otherwise would be disingenuous at the very least. If two of Becton, Fant, and Brown were playing right now, the Jets OL would be perfectly fine, and it would’ve been a ridiculous waste of resources to draft a third OL in the first round three years in a row. Max Mitchell -taken in the fourth round- is currently performing at a higher level than the two guys you would’ve drafted at #4 overall. Meanwhile, both Sauce and GWilson look like studs. It was absolutely the right call. It was correct in theory, and so far looks correct given the specific players involved. 

If Brown comes back and plays at an acceptable level, the Jets will once again be in decent shape. And he’s under contract for next season, so there could easily no reason to take an OL in the first round again next year. 

I'm tired of people claiming that injuries are bad luck when these players were all injury prone when jd aquired them 

Becton was over 400 pounds during the draft 

Fants knee injury happened last year 

Presumably jd knew this around April 

Brown was 37 when jd signed him 

Max Mitchell should not be playing. 

The whole thing was mismanagement from top to bottom 

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'm tired of people claiming that injuries are bad luck when these players were all injury prone when jd aquired them 

Becton was over 400 pounds during the draft 

Fants knee injury happened last year 

Presumably jd knew this around April 

Brown was 37 when jd signed him 

Max Mitchell should not be playing. 

The whole thing was mismanagement from top to bottom 

Becton is clearly a draft pick that is not working out so far. I wanted them to resign Moses, and, in retrospect, they should’ve been able to tell him that he’d essentially be a starter. Outside of that, drafting an OL wouldn’t’ve helped much given the level of play of the other rookie OTs so far, and would’ve weakened the CB and WR groups significantly - they arguably drafted new #1’s at both positions. A dramatically better use of the picks than yet another OL. 

23 minutes ago, slats said:

Becton is clearly a draft pick that is not working out so far. I wanted them to resign Moses, and, in retrospect, they should’ve been able to tell him that he’d essentially be a starter. Outside of that, drafting an OL wouldn’t’ve helped much given the level of play of the other rookie OTs so far, and would’ve weakened the CB and WR groups significantly - they arguably drafted new #1’s at both positions. A dramatically better use of the picks than yet another OL. 

The RB is no great shakes and had we had the chance to do that all over again, a LT should have been chosen there

3 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

I know, JD should have gone to the LT tree where LTs are plentiful. here is the thing that most people don't get; all plans have risk/reward calculations and more importantly opportunity costs. Drafting an LT would have meant either no Sauce or no GW. Let's assume Becton came back and was healthy and Fant was healthy enough to play  - the board would have gone crazy - how can you waste another top 10 pick on an LT.

His plan was to have  Becton and Fant start and Max eventually replace Becton at RT and he would move to LT and they would let Fant walk. Fant is coming into a contract year, so expectations were that he would play hard. Becton goes down and Brown was signed. While not great, he was the best available stop gap for a year - he would play LT and Fant would play RT and max would back him up. It was the best option at the time and had he not gotten hurt, the OL would have been okay - not great, but OK. And, if Fant got hurt Max was there.

Garbage plan? not really; while preserving the top drafts for key needs, it was a manageable plan. The reason it went to crap is that we lost 3 LTs to injury. Really, he should have planned for that? What if he drafted a LT instead of GW? where would our O be then? What about the future of the team? While counting on Becton was a stretch, counting on either Becton, Fant, and then Brown (with no injury history) was not.

Why did he sign a 37 year old LT as a stop gap? Because at the time, he was the best option. Ravens are on their 3rd LT - no body is calling for the GMs head. The difference, the Ravens have a better team with more depth and they have a QB that can move around in the pocket (it is his strength).

In a vacuum what you are saying makes sense, why not have a ton of LTs, but in the world where you have limited picks, and team with a ton of holes, and where the entire league needs an LT and a backup LT, the plan was reasonable - it just went wrong. Just like when a team takes a chance a draft pick knowing it is a risk and the player doesn't pan out, people go, what a dump pick - there is risk/reward built into these calculations and sometimes it doesn't work out.

^TY.  Great post  and JD needs to get some of these to plant that LT Tree somewhere in Florham Park. FRY3_Magic_Beans_event_prop_hire_0098_DD

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DjHoldyHold said:

At this point we have to at least consider the possibility that Belichick has a sleeper agent on our medical staff 

Nahhh.. The Jets medical staff cosists of Dr. Vinnie Boombotz and Dr. Bombay. 

p.s.  we used Dr. Bombay on our fake med excuses to get out of tests in high school.  

foEeG8.gif

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

The RB is no great shakes and had we had the chance to do that all over again, a LT should have been chosen there

There were no OTs taken in the second round at all but, sure, the Jets should’ve taken one in the 30s. Okay. 

And also, I’ll take my chances with Breece. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

This isn’t bad luck. It was foreseeable, if not likely. Joe Douglas decided to rely on two tackles coming off season ending injuries in Becton and Fant, neither of whom were healthy when training camp started. 

Thank you...some of us have been saying this all along, even before the draft. Look JD has definitely tried better than Mac at building an OL.  Way better, but the Jets still went into training camp penciling in two starters who had knee injuries (one who missed the whole season), and the depth was McD, Edoga, and a 4th round pick.

Then, he signs a 37 year old after Becton goes down. Again. Bad luck, yes, but totally unforeseeable? Nope.

Counting on a healthy Becton was very very wishful thinking.

19 minutes ago, slats said:

There were no OTs taken in the second round at all but, sure, the Jets should’ve taken one in the 30s. Okay. 

And also, I’ll take my chances with Breece. 

Just for the sake of argument, he could have not traded up for JJ, then used pick 69 (that he traded to TN to move up) for his choice of the OT that fell from the 2nd to the early 3rd round. OT went picks 69, 72, and 77.  Then, still take Mitchell in the 4th.  

Hopefully JJ turn out to be worth the trade up.

As you guys have already addressed, he could have retained his starting RT from last year, mediocre though he was, rather than count on Becton's return. He did resign McDermott, though...

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

Just for the sake of argument, he could have not traded up for JJ, then used pick 69 (that he traded to TN to move up) for his choice of the OT that fell from the 2nd to the early 3rd round. OT went picks 69, 72, and 77.  Then, still take Mitchell in the 4th.  

Hopefully JJ turn out to be worth the trade up.

As you guys have already addressed, he could have retained his starting RT from last year, mediocre though he was, rather than count on Becton's return. He did resign McDermott, though...

Except that’d only happen with your benefit of hindsight. More likely is if they’d invested pick 69 (let alone much earlier) in a tackle then he probably wasn’t also taking Mitchell in the very next round. Maybe then Mitchell isn’t even on the board for us to take anymore; instead taken by one of the teams that did draft an OT in round 3.

And further rationalization is the additional hindsight that they’d lose 3 starting tackles before October.

The other reality is no coach really wants to start two rookie tackles anyway, so this upcoming game would be the only one with both rookie tackles would be starting together. Most likely is Mitchell would be on the bench almost the entire time in ’22, seen only as depth for the rest of this season & more; then to be buried further after they reinvest a higher pick in a tackle in ‘23.

So take the gift and be happy with a starting 4th round rookie tackle, not wondering what if he and the coaches knew then what they only know now. Accept main reason Mitchell was both drafted here and panning out as a rookie starter is because he didn’t take another tackle earlier.

He moved up to take an edge rusher in the late 20s who’d have shocked no one to go inside the top 10. JJII may not eventually pan out as hoped but it was hardly an unreasonable gamble to move up for one considered a premium prospect at a premium position, when two expensive rostered edge rushers are both entering their non-guaranteed contract years.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

You've quoted my post, but evidently haven't read a single f*cking word. You're talking about not drafting a tackle when I literally said that's not where he went wrong. You're responding to things I've never said. 

No one is saying he had to load up on LT's - You somehow failed to mention Morgan Moses in this entire spiel when he was the obvious solution from day one. 

His plan was to have Becton and Fant start

This was where he f*cked up. This is why it was garbage. How could you read what I wrote and not see what I was saying?

Planning to have Becton as a starter when every man and his dog could foresee what was coming was negligence on a gross scale, especially when you have a perfectly good set of tackles that started the previous year. Moses should have been assured of his place and let Becton be the insurance - if he comes good and stays healthy we're set for years, if what happened happens the starters are no worse off. Lord knows Becton wasn't gonna go anywhere else unless we get a good offer for him - He's not the one assurances should have been made to. 

If Becton goes down as a backup you sign depth - You don't throw $10m at a 37 year old tackle who's been lying on the couch and ask him to start immediately. Halfway through August. Maybe then you don't have pushback Mosley's salary because the cap relief wouldn't have been required. It's a mess. All of JD's own making. 

The Duane Brown move was desperate - Contrary to what you said he was not a reaction to Becton's injury - the Jets were lining him up before that. He was a reaction to Becton himself, which again, was very foreseeable. It's funny you'd mention the Ravens because Morgan Moses has just came out and said that he's played LT before and can move over if they call on him to do so. Heh.

The cult never ceases to amaze. All of this is because Douglas relied on a guy who is notoriously unreliable. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

You've quoted my post, but evidently haven't read a single f*cking word. You're talking about not drafting a tackle when I literally said that's not where he went wrong. You're responding to things I've never said. 

No one is saying he had to load up on LT's - You somehow failed to mention Morgan Moses in this entire spiel when he was the obvious solution from day one. 

This was where he f*cked up. This is why it was garbage. How could you read what I wrote and not see what I was saying?

Planning to have Becton as a starter when every man and his dog could foresee what was coming was negligence on a gross scale, especially when you have a perfectly good set of tackles that started the previous year. Moses should have been assured of his place and let Becton be the insurance - if he comes good and stays healthy we're set for years, if what happened happens the starters are no worse off. Lord knows Becton wasn't gonna go anywhere else unless we get a good offer for him - He's not the one assurances should have been made to. 

If Becton goes down as a backup you sign depth - You don't throw $10m at a 37 year old tackle who's been lying on the couch and ask him to start immediately. Halfway through August. Maybe then you don't have pushback Mosley's salary because the cap relief wouldn't have been required. It's a mess. All of JD's own making. 

The Duane Brown move was desperate - Contrary to what you said he was not a reaction to Becton's injury - the Jets were lining him up before that. He was a reaction to Becton himself, which again, was very foreseeable. It's funny you'd mention the Ravens because Morgan Moses has just came out and said that he's played LT before and can move over if they call on him to do so. Heh.

The cult never ceases to amaze. All of this is because Douglas relied on a guy who is notoriously unreliable. 

Angry much? They let Moses walk for a reason. Why do you care how much Brown's contract is for? Were we talking about money or quality of the line - he has no guaranteed money next year and completely releasable. Whether we tried to sign him before or after the injury - isn't that what you wanted? More players for the line? Maybe they were doing exactly what you wanted - they couldn't count on Becton nor Fant. Not sure how it is desperate to line up Brown before the injury? How are they asking him to start immediately before Becton went down? Desperate would be after the injury. Not sure how Douglas is relying on a guy who is unreliable if he was signing Brown before hand? After the draft the talk was that JD was going to wait until after some camp cuts to sign someone else. He should have instead signed depth. A depth player is a player that isn't as good as the starter and often not that good at all, how would that have fixed this problem?

Clearly I offended you with. my response. While I quoted you, I was also commenting on other posts and my own thoughts. However part of the confusion is that it appears that your own post(s) are not consistent within themselves. It was before the injury but desperate? He was asked to start before Injury? I am sure if he was meant to start and there was no injury he would have had more time to start.

You are right about the cult. It never ceases to amaze (not saying any of this is you, BTW). Players are either pro-bowlers or crap. Often such a player will bounce between the two on a single page during a game. Everyone one is the worst ever, worst FA signing, worst coach, worst... If a player or coach is not liked, it is always his fault. A player that makes a single mistake or doesn't impact immediately are busts. Stats are the most important thing ever, unless it supports a counter argument. When we win it was a miracle (which it was), when we win nothing matters except the loss. We are a laughing stock, but Cleveland loses to us and well... Saleh is the worst HC and yet he has the same record as BB with his starting LT and QB (up until last seconds).