OT: TOP 1980s FILMS

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Paranoia is right.   The whole blood testing concept.  Damn that was nuts.    

I won't add a spoiler.  But leave it to Carpenter to not go down the Hollywood happy ending trail.  Like you, I still love that flick so much.

Yep, exactly. The ending is SO good and still debated today. And the soundtrack is also stellar. Just a classic movie. And no CGI required - just practical effects, a great script, and attention to detail.  

• Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Anything by Bruce Seven.

@dbatesman mentioned Aliens, which is still frightening and insane today.   Reading about Alien got me thinking about John Carpenter's chilling/shocking remake of The Thing.  His version is dark and brilliant.  Great group of actors led by Kurt Russell.

The Thing just missed the cut. Both are basically perfect films.

• Upvote 2

A lot of good ones I forgot about. Also should include at least one Brian De Palma -- Dressed to Kill or Body Double.

Full Metal Jacket and the Shining -- I should have done better than to leave out Kubrick.

Planes, Trains... was really good. Midnight Run was at least as good if not better.

Once Upon a Time in America --Leone -- yes.

Probably should include John Woo's The Killer.

And Kurosawa's Kagamusha.

John Hughes was a big player in that decade, but I never was that taken with his stuff.

• Sympathy 1

Before I lose myself imbibing this lovely Mâcon-Villages, just wanted to call your attention to a few wonderful foreign films from that era:  Louis Malle's Au Revoir les Enfants, Babette's Feast, Tornatore's Cinema Paradiso, and Claude Berri's emotionally charged two part film, Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources.

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Before I lose myself imbibing this lovely Mâcon-Villages, just wanted to call your attention to a few wonderful foreign films from that era:  Louis Malle's Au Revoir les Enfants, Babette's Feast, Tornatore's Cinema Paradiso, and ClaudeA Berri's emotionally charged two part film, Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources.

Ah yes, Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring... like a grand opera on the farm. And that theme music... from Verdi I believe La Forza del Destino -- great.

• Sympathy 1

This is impossible.  lol  I'd have to do genres, so I guess I'll just take my favorite from each:

Do The Right Thing

Empire Strikes Back

Goonies

The Shining

Full Metal Jacket

but that leaves off all the funny sports movies and music so:

Caddyshack and Purple Rain honorable mentions, lol 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Ah yes, Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring... like a grand opera on the farm. And that theme music... from Verdi I believe La Forza del Destino -- great.

I gasped/swooned seeing Emmanuelle Béart as the grown up daughter frolicking in the woods.  Just so stuuningly beautiful.   Those two flicks still have some of the most gut wrenching moments.  And a kick you in the stomach/WTF moment when the old blind lady speaks to Papet.

Another great French film from that era with a gorgeous soundtrack is Jean-Jacques Beineix' Betty Blue.   My wife (then girlfriend) played that music constantly.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

Great, great film. That final shot of Candy smiling is enough to bring a tear to my eye. 

Uncle Buck was good too.

I agree with most of the ones listed here. One I re-watched recently that's never mentioned is 3 O Clock High (school nerd offends the toughest kid in the school, is told they'r going to fight at 3, and spends the rest of the day trying to get out of the fight).

Not amazing but good fun. Apparently Spielberg asked to have his producer credit removed as he was unhappy with the level of cynicism displayed in the film, which kind of makes me like it more.

Oh, and Raging Bull.

And Heathers, Commando, Total Recall, Running Man, Trading Places, Coming to America, Once Upon a Time in America, Stand By Me, Airplane, Scarface

Dude, John Candy is missed.  The comedic void left by his death has never been filled.

Candy had the innate ability to make you laugh out loud or sob.   He was impossible not to like.   I first became aware of him on SCTV as Johnny LaRue and followed him throughout his career.  Uncle Buck could be on 10 times in a week and I'll still watch and laugh at the same gags.   I could watch him talk to and light up the clown at the door a million times and still howl.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

A lot of good ones I forgot about. Also should include at least one Brian De Palma -- Dressed to Kill or Body Double.

Full Metal Jacket and the Shining -- I should have done better than to leave out Kubrick.

Planes, Trains... was really good. Midnight Run was at least as good if not better.

Once Upon a Time in America --Leone -- yes.

Probably should include John Woo's The Killer.

And Kurosawa's Kagamusha.

John Hughes was a big player in that decade, but I never was that taken with his stuff.

I thought The Shining butchered the book. The book was so much better.   Even the ending of the book seemed better suited to a movie.  Jack dies when the boiler he was supposed to maintain blows up.  That beats getting lost in a maze and freezing to death.  I also did not like Jack Nicholson's comedic lines which did not belong in the move (such as "here's Johnny").  It was needless camp and took away from the film.  That book scared the crap out of me.  They also couldn't effectively replicate the voice Danny hears in his head. The thing with the finger was absurd.  I just thought the movie was a fail.

9 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I thought The Shining butchered the book. The book was so much better.   Even the ending of the book seemed better suited to a movie.  Jack dies when the boiler he was supposed to maintain blows up.  That beats getting lost in a maze and freezing to death.  I also did not like Jack Nicholson's comedic lines which did not belong in the move (such as "here's Johnny").  It was needless camp and took away from the film.  That book scared the crap out of me.  They also couldn't effectively replicate the voice Danny hears in his head. The thing with the finger was absurd.  I just thought the movie was a fail.

Funny you said that because I love that movie but never read the book but I can relate to how you felt. I read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas before the movie and I couldn't watch 5 minutes before shutting it off. Did not match up at all with world I created in my mind. 

18 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Yeah, that's the curse of reading the book before seeing the movie. It's rare that a movie actually can compete effectively with the written version. Movies are inherently more superficial, despite their visual power, and constrained by time. I'm glad they never wrote a book called Casablanca or Chinatown.

• Real Genius
  • Better Off Dead
  • Major League
  • War Games
  • Tron

Limiting it to 5 is hard.  Most of the choices of others are also movies I love.  

But this is five great ones I didn't see anyone else mention yet.

And I am indeed over 40.

I'll honorable mention Police Academy I, II and III as well, lol.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Yeah, that's the curse of reading the book before seeing the movie. It's rare that a movie actually can compete effectively with the written version. Movies are inherently more superficial, despite their visual power, and constrained by time. I'm glad they never wrote a book called Casablanca or Chinatown.

The only time I'd say the movie is easily better than the book is Jaws. The novel had so much crap in there with love affairs and badly written sex scenes. Spielberg wisely threw all that out