OT: TOP 1980s FILMS

3 minutes ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

The only time I'd say the movie is easily better than the book is Jaws. The novel had so much crap in there with love affairs and badly written sex scenes. Spielberg wisely threw all that out 

Probably The Exorcist as well. Although the novel was better than Jaws. I hope you never read The Deep. That was a sad exercise known as cashing in on name recognition. Believe it or not, the two David Lean Dickens films, Oliver Twist and Great Expectations, were classics in their own right, although they could not hope to replicate the complexity of the novels. But beautiful films nonetheless.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

There is only 1 good movie from 80s I would watch today.  The star of the movie was the New York Jets QB

That would be so incredibly bad if you watched today..  wouldn't hold up at all.

Sure I watched it a dozen times but I remember thinking it was cheesy as a little kid.

5 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

In no particular order:

Ferris Buhler’s Day off

Glory

Breakfast Club 

Lean on Me 

Dead Poets Society 

Edit:

None of the streaming services ever have Glory.  I haven’t seen it since it was newish.  I’d like to see if it stands up.  

Dead poets society would be in my top 10.  

• Upvote 2

Checking in as a 53 year old who saw all this as a kid. If it's Family Feud style, this is definitely a top-7/8 answer type of question, not 5. I guess if you're doing quintessential 80s, it either has to be absolutely blockbuster and/or lighthearted. So, with all that in mind, I went with:

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

ET

Ghostbusters

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Beverly Hills Cop

Die Hard

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Empire Strikes Back (Jedi is more 80s-esque, but obviously not as good as Empire).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

The only time I'd say the movie is easily better than the book is Jaws. The novel had so much crap in there with love affairs and badly written sex scenes. Spielberg wisely threw all that out 

So true, about Jaws. Here’s one: The Running Man was a MUCH better movie than book. That book was turrible.

39 minutes ago, the Claw said:

I’m 43 and there are just too many to really mention, but here are the first few that jump in my brain. I will watch them any time:

Aliens

the Thing

the Naked Gun

The Changeling

Koyaanisqatsi

Thumbs up for the Changeling.  Loved that movie.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I thought The Shining butchered the book. The book was so much better.   Even the ending of the book seemed better suited to a movie.  Jack dies when the boiler he was supposed to maintain blows up.  That beats getting lost in a maze and freezing to death.  I also did not like Jack Nicholson's comedic lines which did not belong in the move (such as "here's Johnny").  It was needless camp and took away from the film.  That book scared the crap out of me.  They also couldn't effectively replicate the voice Danny hears in his head. The thing with the finger was absurd.  I just thought the movie was a fail.

The Here's  Johnny line was actually an ad-lib by Nicholson. Everyone on the set lost it. They had to keep it. Agree the book was much better but most of King's books have made horrible movies. 

27 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Y’all sitting here yapping about movies shot on Nokia flip phones but where is the Fins game day thread ??? Hmmmm 

LOL. I was thinking this is the healthiest night before game thread we've had in a long time. I was about to blow my brains out reading another thread about how Zach Wilson could improve his footwork. "Lesson not just football. Lesson for whole life. Have a balance. Everything be better." --Miyagi

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

LOL. I was thinking this is the healthiest night before game thread we've had in a long time. I was about to blow my brains out reading another thread about how Zach Wilson could improve his footwork. "Lesson not just football. Lesson for whole life. Have a balance. Everything be better." --Miyagi

LMAOOO ?????

I understand 100% brother 

and thank you, that was a good LOL ? 

2 hours ago, Pac said:

That would be so incredibly bad if you watched today..  wouldn't hold up at all.

Sure I watched it a dozen times but I remember thinking it was cheesy as a little kid.

Blasphemous, one of the all time best "bad" movies. I still love watching this scene:

• Haha 1