Two things which bothered me about the Jets defense against the Dolphins

Alka

Just now, HighPitch said:

I knew wed hear from you sooner or later.

So like every other team in the nfl, the d gave some yards up. Is that is?

The bottom line is the Jets D gave up 17 points. Thats 4.25 points per quarter. I'll take that D every game, every year til I die

It's not like I'm not excited with the team or the stepping up with the play of so many Jets players, including Zach Wilson.

It's just that there will be much closer games in front of us, and I want to eliminate as many mistakes as possible, and take advantage of as many opportunities as possible, so that we can win those very tight games, where a coaching decision or two can mean a loss or a win.

That's all I'm saying here. Just because I have some criticism, doesn't mean that I'm not high on what the Jets are doing.  I am very excited, and very hopeful.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Alka said:

It's not like I'm not excited with the team or the stepping up with the play of so many Jets players, including Zach Wilson.

It's just that there will be much closer games in front of us, and I want to eliminate as many mistakes as possible, and take advantage of as many opportunities as possible, so that we can win those very tight games, where a coaching decision or two can mean a loss or a win.

That's all I'm saying here. Just because I have some criticism, doesn't mean that I'm not high on what the Jets are doing.  I am very excited, and very hopeful.

ok pappi calm down

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Alka said:

The entire team including the coaching staff are improving and learning as they go.

To your specific criticism about the end of the first half run D, Id guess that they were trying to play prevent and the Dolphins countered that with runs.   If it had continued in the second half, Id be more concerned with your critique.    Im glad that you are excited and hopeful- its a good place to be as a fan! 

• Upvote 3

OP, I think the bogus PI calls are what did us in.  Bend but don't brake worked for us all game except for when the refs step in with questionable calls. 

I'm not a conspiracy theorist so I know we got a few calls going our was as well.  The thing is when it goes against you you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I myself am taking more and more pride in out D.  (our O is starting to gel too but that is another topic)    

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Alka said:

First, I was at the game yesterday, and I was elated with the play of the team and the win.  

Now that I got that out of the way, two things that bothered me:

1. With the Fins driving down the Jets throats with around 2 and 1/2 minutes to go in the half, the Jets run defense seemed like they were getting pummeled, with like 6 running plays in a row, all successful, moving the ball down the field.  It's like the air from the defense was let out, and they looked weak.

2.  During that same drive, when it was a passing down, with less than a minute left, the Jets were unable to get pressure at times, and should have at some point sent an extra rusher to get to the 3rd string QB.  I understand that the Jets don't like to blitz, but when the team is driving against you, and you have your 3rd string QB completing passes and ultimately got a TD before the half, you got to be able to mix it up on defense.  To me, it's bad coaching, and inability to adopt to what is going on in front of you.

To me, the Fins should have never been allowed to cut the lead from 19-7, to 19-14 before halftime.  The fact that it didn't come back to bite the Jets, doesn't excuse the fact that this was a missed opportunity by the defensive coaches to help out what was going on on the field, and not allow the Fins back into the game before halftime.

I know, I know.  The Jets won 40-17, so let's just forget about it, and not be negative.  

Not every game will the Jets be able to pull out a win with bad coaching, in terms of adopting and changing up with what's going on in the game that is unfolding right before your eyes.  

Maybe I'm a crack head so who knows if I'm having a competent thought? 

But jets have been more than solid against the run this year.  I suspect the runs you pointed out were more about scheming and containing tyreek and waddle than the Jets being bad in the run game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

It seemed as though the defensive strategy with Bridgewater in mind was to clamp the WRs and make them try to run the football. Once he was out early in the first, the Dolphins decided they were going to run first and that gave the Jets fits because they were prepared for a different team. Following halftime, the Jets adjusted to the new run-first looks they were getting and everything worked itself out

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, Alka said:

First, I was at the game yesterday, and I was elated with the play of the team and the win.  

Now that I got that out of the way, two things that bothered me:

1. With the Fins driving down the Jets throats with around 2 and 1/2 minutes to go in the half, the Jets run defense seemed like they were getting pummeled, with like 6 running plays in a row, all successful, moving the ball down the field.  It's like the air from the defense was let out, and they looked weak.

2.  During that same drive, when it was a passing down, with less than a minute left, the Jets were unable to get pressure at times, and should have at some point sent an extra rusher to get to the 3rd string QB.  I understand that the Jets don't like to blitz, but when the team is driving against you, and you have your 3rd string QB completing passes and ultimately got a TD before the half, you got to be able to mix it up on defense.  To me, it's bad coaching, and inability to adopt to what is going on in front of you.

To me, the Fins should have never been allowed to cut the lead from 19-7, to 19-14 before halftime.  The fact that it didn't come back to bite the Jets, doesn't excuse the fact that this was a missed opportunity by the defensive coaches to help out what was going on on the field, and not allow the Fins back into the game before halftime.

I know, I know.  The Jets won 40-17, so let's just forget about it, and not be negative.  

Not every game will the Jets be able to pull out a win with bad coaching, in terms of adopting and changing up with what's going on in the game that is unfolding right before your eyes.  

Agreed, like you said blitzing to thrawrt that drive would have been no worse then what occurred. Heck, even if it resulted in a big play quick TD, Jets would have got the ball back with enough time for a drive of their own perhaps getting more points. But, it also may have resulted in like what happened with the Lawson strip sack.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

The bottom line is the Jets D gave up 17 points. Thats 4.25 points per quarter. 

I'll take that D every game, every year til I die

If only we could play Skylar Thompson every week, eh?

If they can repeat that effort against Aaron Rodgers, that would be a very good thing.

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to nit pick two wins in a row. 

That being said, if here is any take away that I've seen he past two weeks, the defense needs to close out the first half better.

Rodgers is a master at this and the Dolphins O put on a clinic closing out the first then having a productive drive after receiving the second half kickoff. 

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

It seemed as though the defensive strategy with Bridgewater in mind was to clamp the WRs and make them try to run the football. Once he was out early in the first, the Dolphins decided they were going to run first and that gave the Jets fits because they were prepared for a different team. Following halftime, the Jets adjusted to the new run-first looks they were getting and everything worked itself out

He only played one snap... how would you know this?

4 hours ago, GangGreen Machine said:

I'm not going to nit pick two wins in a row. 

That being said, if here is any take away that I've seen he past two weeks, the defense needs to close out the first half better.

Rodgers is a master at this and the Dolphins O put on a clinic closing out the first then having a productive drive after receiving the second half kickoff. 

Yes - if the Fish kicked that 54 yd FG to take the lead the outcome may have been different.

That missed FG was a huge miss.

99/100 that kick is usually right thru the uprights against us in the last 50 years!!

WE DODGED A BULLET!!

8 hours ago, PorP said:

Maybe I'm a crack head so who knows if I'm having a competent thought? 

But jets have been more than solid against the run this year.  I suspect the runs you pointed out were more about scheming and containing tyreek and waddle than the Jets being bad in the run game. 

Even without that 4th down play late in the game, I think Kwon has helped the run D a fair amount.  Also think Whitehead has been getting better...