I Love Garrett Wilson but George Pickens.... Damn that boy Good

JetBlue

Before folks go crazy, no way was I expecting or advocating to take Pickens with the 10th pick, but I was looking at him in the 2nd round, had we not taken a receiver earlier.  

I think Wilson is going to be a very good receiver and does have #1 ability.    When I see what George Pickens is doing in Pittsburgh, I see a SPECIAL player.   Now would he be ding that in LaFleur's scheme?   I kind of doubt it; I also wonder if he would have had to run every route tree in the playbook in order to earn playing time (ala Mims).   

For that reason, Wilson may have been the better fit so I can't really say anything bad about that.    It is just when I watch Pickens, I'm saying DAMN, this guy is going to be a BEAST.  

Again to be clear, I am NOT down on Wilson at all and expect him to have big games against the Packers and Broncos.  He, Moore, Davis and Berrios make for a nice quartet. 

Still I have a feeling that Pickens could wind up being the best reciever from this draft in a year or two; if he isn't already. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Weren't we saying that about Claypool last season?  He fell off the table quickly.

Have you seen Pickens play?  What Claypool does not do has nothing to do with him.  Had he not gotten hurt the year before, he might have been the first receiver taken.   He has that kind d of talent

2 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Pickens is a loose cannon. Pittsburgh has a strong HC and veteran locker room presence to take a chance on a guy like that. I’m very happy with Garrett Wilson, even though I love Pickens as a prospect and player. 

I like Pickens to coming out of the draft. Pickens didn't fall to the second rd because of concerns about his skills .  He had some maturity issues but maybe dropping a rd in the draft was a wake up call   I guess we will see.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Pickens is a loose cannon. Pittsburgh has a strong HC and veteran locker room presence to take a chance on a guy like that. I’m very happy with Garrett Wilson, even though I love Pickens as a prospect and player. 

Yes that was also a factor in where he was taken in the draft.  Fyi I remember a guy named Moss who was also something of a "loose cannon".  Just saying.

Just now, JiFapono said:

There is nothing to support this opinion other than feelings.  Wilson has more receptions, yards and TD's (1 a game winner).  Pickens doesnt even have a TD.   Do you just like a big physical receivers who can get the jump ball and make a crazy catch?  Otherwise, looks like Wilson is asked to do a little more from a route perspective and he's produced more, so just curious. 

Well since he also has 100 yard receiving game and finished with 83 last game it is just a matter of time before he gets in the end zone.   They do have different playing styles and it appears Pickens is now getting more reps than he did in the first few games and is getting more opportunities.   I am going by the talent I see on the field; you can believe whatever you want.   I have already said this is no knock on Wilson.  

11 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Well since he also has 100 yard receiving game and finished with 83 last game it is just a matter of time before he gets in the end zone.   They do have different playing styles and it appears Pickens is now getting more reps than he did in the first few games and is getting more opportunities.   I am going by the talent I see on the field; you can believe whatever you want.   I have already said this is no knock on Wilson.  

Garrett Wilson has a 100 yard game under his belt as well.  I'm not even disagreeing with you,  Pickens looks awesome.  I just dont see how you could see special in Pickens and not in Wilson when Wilson has actually done something special that was meaningful to the outcome of the game.

I understand you're saying it's not a knock but it definitely is even if not intentional.  You're saying one guy is a special beast and the other is just a system fit.  That's a knock, for sure, lol, but all good.  I have no idea who will have the better career, both look like they could be studs albeit in different ways.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

No knock on Wilson but you keep on putting up positives on this Pickens dude and what he's doing compared to Wilson.  Wilson is a better athlete than Pickens and before too long, he'll be the Jets number one target.  He's just scratching the service and I'll take the Jets WR group over the Steelers.

6 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Curious as to what are the *character concerns* with Pickens. 

I've heard about them numerous times, but never actually anything definitive.

Can anyone shed some light?

They are bs, IMO. But that doesn't mean he did not slide in the draft because of them. 

7 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Curious as to what are the *character concerns* with Pickens. 

I've heard about them numerous times, but never actually anything definitive.

Can anyone shed some light?

https://www.patspulpit.com/platform/amp/2022/4/25/23041528/nfl-draft-rumors-potential-patriots-draft-target-george-pickens

• Upvote 2

Pickens has wow play ability and reminds me of Brandon Marshall however, we can't discount how good Garrett Wilson will be.  

I'll take Wilson all day every day.  He's an athletic freak and we've barely glimpsed what he can do.  If Wilson was the focus of an offense, he'd be putting up crazy numbers.  He's a great route runner that can play all 3 positions and is a team first guy.  

Pittsburgh's offense is terrible.  Their crappy QB's are going to throw a lot of balls up to Pickens and he'll look great at times.  I think he's going to go head case at some point and again he wouldn't' be a great fit in this offense.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

Thank you!

G. Wilson is not targeted consistently in every game like Pickens 

As you noted G Wilson is a leader, he doesn't have to be led BIG DIFFERENCE!!

As Wilson always says "I appreciate you" and I really believe that he means it!

Lets Go Jets!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Before folks go crazy, no way was I expecting or advocating to take Pickens with the 10th pick, but I was looking at him in the 2nd round, had we not taken a receiver earlier.  

I think Wilson is going to be a very good receiver and does have #1 ability.    When I see what George Pickens is doing in Pittsburgh, I see a SPECIAL player.   Now would he be ding that in LaFleur's scheme?   I kind of doubt it; I also wonder if he would have had to run every route tree in the playbook in order to earn playing time (ala Mims).   

For that reason, Wilson may have been the better fit so I can't really say anything bad about that.    It is just when I watch Pickens, I'm saying DAMN, this guy is going to be a BEAST.  

Again to be clear, I am NOT down on Wilson at all and expect him to have big games against the Packers and Broncos.  He, Moore, Davis and Berrios make for a nice quartet. 

Still I have a feeling that Pickens could wind up being the best reciever from this draft in a year or two; if he isn't already. 

100% wanted him in round 2 if his background check came back looking okay.  Beast.

I am entirely content with Wilson/Hall in the 1st/2nd.  I think they both have sky-high potential for greatness.

Given my love of O over D, I could probably be convinced another WR would have been great over a D-End/Edge like J.J., but honestly, with Moore and Davis and Berrios already in place, that was never going to happen.

Good luck to Pickens, but I'm happy with what we got/who we picked.

• Upvote 2