TEAM NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT ZACH WILSON

The wr room need to grab this guy by his neck and tell him stop trying to play hero Superman ball and pass correctly with set feet…. Instead of highlight play he wants to have in NY ….. he plays like he wants to be Mahomes so bad ….. he’s not ….. when he comes to that reality he will be better. If he can’t control his play he’s done for his career.I think the coaching staff knows he can’t control himself and creates this winning game plan we’ve been seeing….

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Fantasy Island said:

There are no consequences for his poor play. It's on the CS.  Zach is a liability.

Make him run forward all practice.

Uh……the consequences are a Team Loss and a drop in the standings and playoff picture.

Did you mean excuses?

2 hours ago, ZachStepdad said:

The wr room need to grab this guy by his neck and tell him stop trying to play hero Superman ball and pass correctly with set feet…. Instead of highlight play he wants to have in NY ….. he plays like he wants to be Mahomes so bad ….. he’s not ….. when he comes to that reality he will be better. If he can’t control his play he’s done for his career.I think the coaching staff knows he can’t control himself and creates this winning game plan we’ve been seeing….

sit him for the rest of the season.  we've seen enough

Like my golf swing... I know what I am doing wrong, I just can't seem to fix it.

Im sure the staff is trying... you can't make a fish walk.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

How can you expect Zach to stop the bizarro Mahomes crap when the HC tells him that’s his “sUpEr pOwEr”. 

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Jets coaching staff has done nothing to correct Wilson's terrible movement in the pocket. Nothing. He still turns his back to the line every other play...  His footwork is the worst Ive seen for a starting QB. It would be atrocious in a highschool setting, let alone NFL.

It makes no sense. Is he doing this in practice? So many passes are just unbelievably off target when they should be gimme throws at this level.

• Upvote 2

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I don't know what the cure is for a QB who flees the pocket at the 1st whiff of pressure.

I mean it's basically impossible to be a successful NFL QB if you can't stand in and deliver from a muddy pocket.

It's the NFL.  Defenses are going to find ways to generate pressure.

At this point?   DCs see his proclivity and will scheme for it.   Unless he changes, this is not going to go well for Zach and the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I don't know what the cure is for a QB who flees the pocket at the 1st whiff of pressure.

I mean it's basically impossible to be a successful NFL QB if you can't stand in and deliver from a muddy pocket with sound footwork and throwing mechanics.

It's the NFL.  Defenses are going to find ways to generate pressure no matter how good your OL is.

So if he has better movement he would have thrown for 600 yards? The picks had nothing to do with mechanics or pocket movement 

• More Ugh 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Jets coaching staff has done nothing to correct Wilson's terrible movement in the pocket. Nothing. He still turns his back to the line every other play...  His footwork is the worst Ive seen for a starting QB. It would be atrocious in a highschool setting, let alone NFL.

How many closed practices have you been to? Are you in the QB room each week? If not, how do you know what the coaching staff has or has not tried to do? How do you know they aren't working on it EVERY WEEK but it's not sinking in?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Well you're his Dad, what's he saying?

Just now, SuicidalSince98 said:

The first pick was a 2 yard throw, he should be able to make that 100/100 times throwing blindfolded behind his back. Wilson needs to stop with the erratic misses that come from A grip/yips issue not his pocket movement

He missed the throw because of a grip/yips issue? It wasn't because he was drifting backwards? Nothing to do with it?

How bout this miss? Nothing he could have done better I guess right? There's no room to move up or anything. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Zachtomims47 said:

He missed the throw because of a grip/yips issue? It wasn't because he was drifting backwards? Nothing to do with it?

How bout this miss? Nothing he could have done better I guess right? There's no room to move up or anything. 

2 yard throw, nfl qb, needs to make that throw even id sprinting backwards. Yea he should have ran it on 4th and 5. 

• More Ugh 1

Yes, Zack threw for 300 yards but was below 50% passing percentage, that is not going to cut it.  I seldom see Zack just take a step or two back let go to a receiver yet I see other QBs do all the time.  I don't believe the Jets WRs are always covered.

How QBs Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Jones, Mills have struggled (espn.com)

Zach Wilson, New York Jets

Pick in 2021 draft: No. 2

I'll spoil it for you here without needing to go to the end of the column: I'm most concerned about Wilson, who might be playing the worst of any quarterback in the entire league over the past few weeks. Nobody is making more puzzling decisions or putting the ball in danger more than he does, and that's extremely worrisome for a Jets team that is legitimately competing for a playoff berth.

Let's go back to a Week 7 clip before I get into what happened in Week 8. Sometimes, a lucky break or a seemingly harmless play can lead to something worse. Here's a Wilson incompletion from the win over the Broncos:

Wilson looks under pressure here, but he helps create the pressure by scrambling out of the pocket instead of stepping up. The play turns into a scramble drill, and he decides to turn into Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes. He does an impressive job of scrambling away from two defenders and extending the play, but he then throws across his body to the middle of the field in an attempt to find a late completion. These throws occasionally turn into miraculous completions, as was the case for that famous Sam Darnold pass against the 49ers, but they more often lead to interceptions.

It would be one thing if that were one isolated mistake in an otherwise solid game, but Wilson's performance against the Broncos was one of the worst games I've seen a quarterback play all season, especially in a victory. He had several other ill-advised decisions, often while scrambling. He created pressures out of a clean pocket. He put the ball in harm's way or missed open receivers with throws that weren't in the right place. It was the sort of day that gets forgotten by fans in the excitement of a victory but keeps the coaching staff up at night.

Enter Bill Belichick and the Patriots, who have been attacking underwhelming Jets quarterbacks for more than two decades now. Wilson actually was pretty reasonable early in Week 8, but just before halftime, the dam burst. Facing a sim pressure from the Patriots and a free rusher in Matthew Judon, he correctly identified his hot receiver and attempted to toss the ball to an open Ty Johnson. A casual pass off his back foot sailed, however, and was picked off by Ja'Whaun Bentley.

It got worse. After a boot concept failed to yield any promising leads, Wilson scrambled in an attempt to use time to get someone open. Again, he threw a pass under pressure, but while this one wasn't to the middle of the field, the only player within 4 yards of the throw was New England safety Devin McCourty. Wilson might very well have been trying to throw the ball away, but by waiting until the last possible second without resetting to get rid of it, he wasn't able to launch the ball out of bounds.

The third interception throw was in more desperate straits, as the Jets trailed by nine on a third-and-7 in the fourth quarter. It was also a pass at the end of a scramble into what some might call quadruple coverage. The Patriots didn't really have four men on Tyler Conklin, but there were four defenders between Conklin and any other New York player, and the pass wasn't even catchable by the tight end. None of the three pass attempts was a smart decision.

play

0:57

Zach Wilson struggles with 3 INTs

Zach Wilson throws three interceptions including two bad ones to Devin McCourty as the Jets fall to the Patriots.

When Wilson gets out of the pocket and throws, bad things usually happen. The league as a whole is worse when it gets outside the pocket, posting a combined QBR of 39.9, but Wilson's 4.3 mark ranks 29th. He's 5-of-28 for 137 yards with two picks, both of which came Sunday. He has generated 7 yards per scramble this season, but he has scrambled only seven times across his five starts.

Inside the pocket, Wilson has been better, even if there are still some issues. His QBR inside the pocket is 53.6, which ranks 14th. He's averaging a hair under 8 yards per attempt, although much of that is after the catch; Wilson's average of 7.5 YAC on throws inside the pocket is the most in football.

Sometimes, high YAC numbers can be a product of hitting receivers in stride. Other times, they're a product of the types of passes you throw; targets at or near the line of scrimmage or to running backs on screens and swing passes produce more YAC than downfield throws, even if they require less from the quarterback.

With Wilson, both are true. Nearly 29% of his pocket passes are at or behind the line of scrimmage, which is the fifth-highest rate in the league. If we just look at passes thrown 5 yards or more past the LOS, though, he's also in good shape: He averages 7.1 yards after catch per pocket pass, which is a full yard-and-a-half ahead of anybody else. Flip it to 10 yards past the line of scrimmage and Wilson's passes average 12.9 YAC when nobody else tops 7.5 YAC on those passes.

At the same time, Wilson's CPOE on those throws from the pocket is minus-7.8%; only Mayfield has been worse in 2022. Again, drops play a factor with CPOE, but the only passers with a worse adjusted completion percentage from the pocket are Fields, Mayfield and Cooper Rush. For an offense that would ideally operate from under center, Wilson hasn't been able to do so; his 9.0 QBR on dropbacks under center is comfortably the worst mark in the league.

The good news is that other young quarterbacks have these problems. Passers struggle to set their feet when they scramble or don't reset before releasing throws, leading to inaccurate passes. They blanch at operating outside of their preferred starting point. They struggle to get on the same page with their receivers in scramble drills. Wilson should improve there as his career goes along.

Follow the NFL all season long

Everything you need this week:
• Full schedule » | Standings »
• Depth charts for every team »
• Transactions » | Injuries »
• Football Power Index rankings »
More NFL coverage »

The bad news is that he hasn't yet. I don't see much difference between Wilson as a rookie and Wilson in his second season. The circumstances have changed, which has allowed the Jets to win games more often without relying on their starting quarterback, but it's tough for me to look at how the Jets are winning and believe he is a driver as opposed to a passenger.

If you're thinking of a Jets quarterback who flashed but never got better in a sustainable way during his time with the team, you're thinking of the guy who feels like the closest comparable for Wilson at the moment. Darnold was the same quarterback for three years, and then beyond a brief spell when he was always playing from ahead in Carolina, he was that quarterback with the Panthers, too.

Darnold did that with a middling offensive line and subpar receivers. Wilson has a deep receiving corps, although his line has been hit hard by injuries, most recently to Alijah Vera-Tucker. Even allowing for those line issues, Wilson has more than enough help to play better. If he is what keeps the Jets from making the playoffs, the honeymoon period will be over.

2 minutes ago, viffer said:

How many closed practices have you been to? Are you in the QB room each week? If not, how do you know what the coaching staff has or has not tried to do? How do you know they aren't working on it EVERY WEEK but it's not sinking in?

I don't know that. But you'd think there would be some modicum of progression. Same footwork. Same run from pocket even if clean... play after play after play.  Burden of proof is on the team AFAIC.  Zero progress should be blamed on staff as well as player. 

23 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

He literally steps into the pressure coming from the left...it's so bad

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

This! 

Everyone is pointing at ZW but it is both.  Even if they just limited distance run or time out of the pocket before throwing it away he would look 5x better.

The "he's just a competitor trying to make plays" doesn't work for me anymore.  CS needs to protect ZW from himself. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If some of the spinderella moves resulted in long scrambles it’d be somewhat more tolerable. Wilson doesn’t run at all though and looks afraid to get hit. 

His "escapability" would be more impressive if he actually did something with it. It seems like 9/10 times he escapes just to run around like a chicken with its head cut off for 4 seconds, only to throw it out of bounds. The only thing it accomplishes is raising our collective blood pressure. And not to mention the fact that he panics and tries to escape at the mere idea of pressure. Dude is straight up shell-shocked. Sitting would probably do him some good, and may be the only way to salvage his career.

• Upvote 1