Three biggest differences in Zach Wilson's game today

AFJF

27 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Missed the game. Heard last drive on the radio. How’d he look?

Like a Pro QB.

Major difference from today as opposed to his first 18 games in the league is that he kept his eyes looking downfield virtually the Entire game.  There really was no bailing out of the pocket and running backwards (I give him somewhat of a pass when he has done that when an untouched free rusher has come at him and he’s able to escape by running backward and throw the ball out of bounds).  
There really were no free rushers today, but as you know he has been Guilty of doing the same thing even at the first hint of danger which stops him for going past Read #1….that was NOT the case today, ALL game long.  No throwing off his back foot, no pirouettes.

Since it wasn’t the case he was able to plant, step and fire….virtually Every pass (save for I think two) was a bullet right on target.  I think that it was hands down the Most he has played the position like that, like he should, at the pro level, no throwing off his back foot, which he seems to have done on around 70% of his throws, throughout those first 18 games, even when he doesn’t have to which sees the ball sail, or fall short on the turf way too often….all that being maddening.

Yeah, Zach Wilson was a big part of Winning today and beating the #1 team in the NFL, and once again, looking like a Pro QB doing it.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

It’s funny you write this. Had my sons hockey game today. Only got to hear a little of the first and the last drive. Only 2 passes I heard were the missed 3rd down and the converted both to Mims. 

on the radio they said it was high by ML says he thought Mims should’ve came down with it. 

Was wondering how Zach looked but a lot of them guys that are real hard on Zach seem to be saying he did well. So he had to play alright 

2 things are true there brother. 

1) it was catchable, Mims could have come down with it

2) it was a bad / high pass for the coverage.  Based on how Mims was covered it needed to hit him in the #'s and it was over his head. 

Still to me today,  that was zw's worst play.  Not to shabby facing the #1 D in the nfl

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Love you bud but I apparently watched a different game, kid was bad real bad we win despite of him.  Love this team hate Wilson.

The QB is a major face of this team and most likely for another decade. He just beat the best team in the league by many experts and made some huge throws and had zero turnovers against the #1 D in the NFL. You don't know what you're watching if you think Zach was bad. He wasn't even remotely close to being bad. You must hate Josh Allen - he should have had 5 turnovers today. I felt like Josh Allen could throw a pic every series against our D. I think we can sweep them this year with our D pressuring him into mistakes. Allen also had 3 pics last week.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

The QB is a major face of this team and most likely for another decade. He just beat the best team in the league by many experts and made some huge throws and had zero turnovers against the #1 D in the NFL. You don't know what you're watching if you think Zach was bad. He wasn't even remotely close to being bad. You must hate Josh Allen - he should have had 5 turnovers today. I felt like Josh Allen could throw a pic every series against our D. I think we can sweep them this year with our D pressuring him into mistakes. Allen also had 3 pics last week.

I agree the Jets matchup very well vs the Bills defensively, with Justin Fields we win this game by 20.

• Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

This was the first legitimate full step forward I have seen from him. I would be quite content if he can just maintain this level of play for a few more weeks. Then something might really click. I have been ripping him, but you could not realistically have had a better scenario going into the bye week.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

1) Did not bail from clean pockets.  Hung in there and went through progressions.  This was HUGE!

2) Located open receivers (kinda' basic, but hasn't been the case in recent weeks)

3) Used his legs.  Didn't run for 180 like Justin Fields, but even one or two first downs per week with his legs will give defenses one more thing to think about.  Has to take advantage of every tool he has and his athleticism is one of them.

I’d add to this that he was clearly able to apply his coaching and take what the degree was giving him.

It was a really encouraging correction game from him.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I’d add to this that he was clearly able to apply his coaching and take what the degree was giving him.

It was a really encouraging correction game from him.

This is also big.

Was super encouraging that he seemed to correct a ton of mistakes just from last week. Was decisive, didn't bail the pocket, didn't force it etc. Against a great defense too. He's gotta keep it up though. 

I was impressed with Zach focusing on completing a lot of short passes today (his longest throw was only 12 yds). It might turn out to be a winning strategy for Zack (and The Jets) to keep him focused on perfecting his short passing game and demonstrating consistent accuracy before he goes back to playing hero ball and throwing a lot of long passes & bombs. I also thought Zach QB runs and moving forward, instead of backward in the pocket were big improvements over last week too.

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

Buffalo has a great defense but it’s apparently more predictable than New England’s defense. Apparently New England was showing one defense then switching to another the second the play began confusing Zach and taking away a lot of these short game control throws making Zach have to beat them with explosives if he can hang in the pocket that long. Zach and the Jets have not figured out how to beat New England’s defense yet. The Bills don’t play a confuse the QB game. They flat out play hard nosed football and are pretty darn good at it but if the Jets didn’t turn the ball over and took what Buffalo was giving and if the Jets called and played almost the perfect game they could possibly win and they did and it worked. Great game plan. 

29 dropbacks for the Jets with zero pressures, which is amazing for them. Bills definitely line up and run their zones better than everyone else in the league, but being down Milano and the two safeties cost them a bit. Read a good article a few weeks back about how the analytics are driving teams away from investing resources into players who can stop the run, and all the “surprise” teams this year are supplementing their meh QBs with old-school rushing attacks. The league is caught in between phases where traditionally pass-heavy teams are behind the curve on how to beat cover two, and those that can are in the right place at the right time. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

29 dropbacks for the Jets with zero pressures, which is amazing for them. Bills definitely line up and run their zones better than everyone else in the league, but being down Milano and the two safeties cost them a bit. Read a good article a few weeks back about how the analytics are driving teams away from investing resources into players who can stop the run, and all the “surprise” teams this year are supplementing their meh QBs with old-school rushing attacks. The league is caught in between phases where traditionally pass-heavy teams are behind the curve on how to beat cover two, and those that can are in the right place at the right time. 

Just can’t give the jets credit…..

2 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Buffalo has a great defense but it’s apparently more predictable than New England’s defense. Apparently New England was showing one defense then switching to another the second the play began confusing Zach and taking away a lot of these short game control throws making Zach have to beat them with explosives if he can hang in the pocket that long. Zach and the Jets have not figured out how to beat New England’s defense yet. The Bills don’t play a confuse the QB game. They flat out play hard nosed football and are pretty darn good at it but if the Jets didn’t turn the ball over and took what Buffalo was giving and if the Jets called and played almost the perfect game they could possibly win and they did and it worked. Great game plan. 

Belichick is a mastermind of disguising coverages. It’s why young QBs go through hell playing the Pats. The Bills don’t blitz much and don’t have much window dressing behind their coverages. They have superior players who play tough, sound football. That’s why they’re good. 

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Wasn't asked to do much.  Jets decided to run down the clock and run the ball down Buffalo's throat.  He did hit Mims on a key pass on 3rd down but that was about it.  

dont downplay the the sack he took on 3rd down on the last drive.  The people I was watching with were pissed.  I said it was the correct thing to do.  If we werent going to score a TD, just go down. if he throws an incomplete pass the bills have a time out saved for their final drive with 1:40 on the clock.  extremely smart situation awareness there!!!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

He is 5-1 and it doesn’t matter if the wins come from having great units like D and STs around him since he is at the helm for the wins. 

Tell me that in January when he is the Achilles heel and it’s not close in a playoff game.  I’m being realistic he isn’t good right now the team is.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 2
  • More Ugh 1

2 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Ehhhh. Jets lost because the OL got beat and Zach played wreckless. I don’t think they confused anyone. But we’ll see again soon enough. 

28 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

No pressures?  Buffalo had a strip sack lol

Came from the PFF post. I think the implication is that the pressures won’t be directly charged to an OL(?)

“Offensive line spotlight: The biggest story of this game was easily the performance of the Jets' offensive line in pass protection. Against a top-three-graded pass-rushing defensive line coming into the game, New York’s offensive line combined didn't allow a single pressure on 29 pass plays on first review. Some of that was obviously aided by a quick passing game plan that saw Zach Wilsonhave a 2.39-second average time to throw, but it was a very impressive performance nonetheless.”

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Came from the PFF post. I think the implication is that the pressures won’t be directly charged to an OL(?)

“Offensive line spotlight: The biggest story of this game was easily the performance of the Jets' offensive line in pass protection. Against a top-three-graded pass-rushing defensive line coming into the game, New York’s offensive line combined didn't allow a single pressure on 29 pass plays on first review. Some of that was obviously aided by a quick passing game plan that saw Zach Wilsonhave a 2.39-second average time to throw, but it was a very impressive performance nonetheless.”

Ahhh...Von Miller was largely unblocked and had a strip sack when Zach scrambled to the right looking downfield for a target.  maybe not a 'pressure'?  Don't know.

But I take a big issue with the 'average time to throw' stat...last week Zach had like a handful of plays where he was running backwards etc before throwing the ball away.  Lets say each of those he held the ball for 5-6 seconds...that, 'when averaged', will significantly increase the time to throw on all the other plays.

Biggest fact is that today, Zach stayed in the relative 'pocket' and had no escape runs...which leads to a better 'time to throw' IMO.

• Upvote 1