Jump to content

Game Observations (BUF)


KRL
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!  What a way to go into the bye-week!!!  In the best regular season
win since the NE game in 2015, the Jets beat BUF 20-17 in an absolute shocker.  After
the stinker last week against NE, today was the best "deodorant" a fan could've hoped
for.  At 6-3 after making BUF look "pedestrian" it's time for the team and fanbase
to get greedy and aspire for more than just a wildcard spot:


Special Teams

- Solid effort by Greg Zuerlein as he was 2/2 in FGs and XPs for 8 points.  And from
a tone standpoint his 53 yarder to make it 7-3 was important.  A miss there deflates
the crowd and gives BUF terrific field position.

- Braden Mann had a solid effort punting with a 49 yard avg.  But the "slipping" on
KOs HAS GOT TO STOP!!!

- Braxton Berrios was decent on KOs (20 yard avg) and it would've been better without
a holding penalty.

- Good feel for the game by the staff in running a fake punt (Ashtyn Davis) to start
the second half.  BUF has been explosive all year and repeated punts back to them
is dangerous.  Unfortunately Zach Wilson fumbled later in the drive to keep points
off the board.


Defense

-  Fantastic effort by the defense in all phases (5 Sacks, 8 QB Hits, 2 INT).  BUF came
into the game averaging 29 points and they were held to 3 points over the last 37 minutes
of the game.  In addition the defense made Josh Allen look "pedestrian" from the pocket
(18/34, 205 yds, 2 INT) which really hasn't been seen since 2019.  The main damage Allen
did was on the ground (9 rushes, 86 yards, 2 TD) but it minimized BUF "video game offense"
so I'll take it.

- Is it fair to say the Jets have the best CB tandem in the league?  Other than the double
move Stephon Diggs pulled on Ahmad Gardner, he and DJ Reed were lockdown once again.
Gardner generated 7 Tackles, INT and a huge knockaway on the final play of the game against
Gabriel Davis.  While Reed had 4 Tackles and a textbook knockaway against Diggs which could've
been a TD.  They also are getting "respect" from the refs because they don't get flagged with
cheap pass interference penalties.

- Another excellent game by Jordan Whitehead as he had 4 Tackles, 2 Passes Defensed and an
INT (which should've been two if he had better hands).

- After returning from an injury CJ Mosley controlled the middle of the field with 6 Tackles,
Sack, Pass Defensed and a QB Hit.  In addition he did a nice job "spying" Allen to prevent
a couple of big runs.  And dislodging passes from a couple of receivers over the middle.

- While Mosley was recovering from his injury Jamien Sherwood had his best game as a pro.
As he had 5 Tackles, .5 Sack, QB Hit and he was entrusted with making the defensive calls.

- Quinnen Williams with his "standard" production of 2 Tackles, Sack, TFL and a QB Hit.

- The reason Jacob Martin was traded earlier in the week (DEN) was on full display.
As Bryce Huff and Jermaine Johnson were given more reps and brought speed/heat off the
edges.  Johnson had a Tackle, Sack, TFL and a QB Hit after being sidelined with an injury
for a couple of weeks.  He also displayed excellent speed and open field tackling on his
TFL as Allen was turning the corner but Johnson was able to close and get a 4 yard loss.
Huff had a Tackle, Sack, QB Hit and dominated the last BUF drive of the game.  Causing a
fumble on the strip of Allen (which also hurt his arm) and drawing a holding penalty.


Offense

- The OLine (Brown, Tomlinson, McGovern, Herbig, Ogbuehi) were the stars of the game as they
neutralized Von Miller and dominated BUF DLine by grinding out 174 yards on the ground (34
rushes).  And on the final drive of the game the OLine "took BUF soul" by running 8 straight
times and eating 6:10 of clock for the game winning FG.

- Michael Carter had his best game of the season (12 rushes, 76 yards, TD) and James Robinson
made an impression as he ran hard between the tackles (13 rushes, 48 yards).

- Garrett Wilson was the main weapon in the air game (8 catches, 92 yards).  But what's impressive
about his game is he isn't a "one trick pony".  He's shown he can get vertical but he doesn't 
shy away from going over the middle into traffic.  Also on WR screens he takes on tacklers and
tries to run through them.  It will be interesting to see what another 5-10 pounds of muscle
will bring to his game.


QB

- Solid bounce back game by Zach Wilson as he was efficient (18/25, 154 yards, TD) and showed better
pocket awareness.  He finally vacated the pocket and ran (24 yards) when a play was breaking down.
His one mistake was hanging in the pocket too long and getting stripped by Von Miller, fortunately
Gardner's INT made up for that mistake.  What will go unnoticed but must be brought up is the
smart way Wilson delivered the ball on most of his throws.  From the pocket he went sidearm and
3/4 to get around the raised arms of BUF DLine preventing blocked and tipped passes.


Final Thoughts

- The identity we displayed in the winning streak returned:
  * Run the ball
  * Don't turn it over
  * Excellent special teams
  * Lockdown defense
And shock of shock they won again, this time against a legit SB challenger.  Let's remember this
and not deviate from it.

- Also, during the winning streak we wore green helmets, white jerseys and black pants.  Against
NE we wore all black and lost, today we went back to the winning streak uniforms and won.  What
do you think we'll be wearing after the bye???  

This is an excellent write up!  I enjoy your posts immensely.  Thank you.

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KRL said:

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!  What a way to go into the bye-week!!!  In the best regular season
win since the NE game in 2015, the Jets beat BUF 20-17 in an absolute shocker.  After
the stinker last week against NE, today was the best "deodorant" a fan could've hoped
for.  At 6-3 after making BUF look "pedestrian" it's time for the team and fanbase
to get greedy and aspire for more than just a wildcard spot:


Special Teams

- Solid effort by Greg Zuerlein as he was 2/2 in FGs and XPs for 8 points.  And from
a tone standpoint his 53 yarder to make it 7-3 was important.  A miss there deflates
the crowd and gives BUF terrific field position.

- Braden Mann had a solid effort punting with a 49 yard avg.  But the "slipping" on
KOs HAS GOT TO STOP!!!

- Braxton Berrios was decent on KOs (20 yard avg) and it would've been better without
a holding penalty.

- Good feel for the game by the staff in running a fake punt (Ashtyn Davis) to start
the second half.  BUF has been explosive all year and repeated punts back to them
is dangerous.  Unfortunately Zach Wilson fumbled later in the drive to keep points
off the board.


Defense

-  Fantastic effort by the defense in all phases (5 Sacks, 8 QB Hits, 2 INT).  BUF came
into the game averaging 29 points and they were held to 3 points over the last 37 minutes
of the game.  In addition the defense made Josh Allen look "pedestrian" from the pocket
(18/34, 205 yds, 2 INT) which really hasn't been seen since 2019.  The main damage Allen
did was on the ground (9 rushes, 86 yards, 2 TD) but it minimized BUF "video game offense"
so I'll take it.

- Is it fair to say the Jets have the best CB tandem in the league?  Other than the double
move Stephon Diggs pulled on Ahmad Gardner, he and DJ Reed were lockdown once again.
Gardner generated 7 Tackles, INT and a huge knockaway on the final play of the game against
Gabriel Davis.  While Reed had 4 Tackles and a textbook knockaway against Diggs which could've
been a TD.  They also are getting "respect" from the refs because they don't get flagged with
cheap pass interference penalties.

- Another excellent game by Jordan Whitehead as he had 4 Tackles, 2 Passes Defensed and an
INT (which should've been two if he had better hands).

- After returning from an injury CJ Mosley controlled the middle of the field with 6 Tackles,
Sack, Pass Defensed and a QB Hit.  In addition he did a nice job "spying" Allen to prevent
a couple of big runs.  And dislodging passes from a couple of receivers over the middle.

- While Mosley was recovering from his injury Jamien Sherwood had his best game as a pro.
As he had 5 Tackles, .5 Sack, QB Hit and he was entrusted with making the defensive calls.

- Quinnen Williams with his "standard" production of 2 Tackles, Sack, TFL and a QB Hit.

- The reason Jacob Martin was traded earlier in the week (DEN) was on full display.
As Bryce Huff and Jermaine Johnson were given more reps and brought speed/heat off the
edges.  Johnson had a Tackle, Sack, TFL and a QB Hit after being sidelined with an injury
for a couple of weeks.  He also displayed excellent speed and open field tackling on his
TFL as Allen was turning the corner but Johnson was able to close and get a 4 yard loss.
Huff had a Tackle, Sack, QB Hit and dominated the last BUF drive of the game.  Causing a
fumble on the strip of Allen (which also hurt his arm) and drawing a holding penalty.


Offense

- The OLine (Brown, Tomlinson, McGovern, Herbig, Ogbuehi) were the stars of the game as they
neutralized Von Miller and dominated BUF DLine by grinding out 174 yards on the ground (34
rushes).  And on the final drive of the game the OLine "took BUF soul" by running 8 straight
times and eating 6:10 of clock for the game winning FG.

- Michael Carter had his best game of the season (12 rushes, 76 yards, TD) and James Robinson
made an impression as he ran hard between the tackles (13 rushes, 48 yards).

- Garrett Wilson was the main weapon in the air game (8 catches, 92 yards).  But what's impressive
about his game is he isn't a "one trick pony".  He's shown he can get vertical but he doesn't 
shy away from going over the middle into traffic.  Also on WR screens he takes on tacklers and
tries to run through them.  It will be interesting to see what another 5-10 pounds of muscle
will bring to his game.


QB

- Solid bounce back game by Zach Wilson as he was efficient (18/25, 154 yards, TD) and showed better
pocket awareness.  He finally vacated the pocket and ran (24 yards) when a play was breaking down.
His one mistake was hanging in the pocket too long and getting stripped by Von Miller, fortunately
Gardner's INT made up for that mistake.  What will go unnoticed but must be brought up is the
smart way Wilson delivered the ball on most of his throws.  From the pocket he went sidearm and
3/4 to get around the raised arms of BUF DLine preventing blocked and tipped passes.


Final Thoughts

- The identity we displayed in the winning streak returned:
  * Run the ball
  * Don't turn it over
  * Excellent special teams
  * Lockdown defense
And shock of shock they won again, this time against a legit SB challenger.  Let's remember this
and not deviate from it.

- Also, during the winning streak we wore green helmets, white jerseys and black pants.  Against
NE we wore all black and lost, today we went back to the winning streak uniforms and won.  What
do you think we'll be wearing after the bye???  

Watch belly use the pats white jerseys just to mess w us and make us wear our green jerseys. 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, KRL said:

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!  What a way to go into the bye-week!!!  In the best regular season
win since the NE game in 2015, the Jets beat BUF 20-17 in an absolute shocker.  After
the stinker last week against NE, today was the best "deodorant" a fan could've hoped
for.  At 6-3 after making BUF look "pedestrian" it's time for the team and fanbase
to get greedy and aspire for more than just a wildcard spot:


Special Teams

- Solid effort by Greg Zuerlein as he was 2/2 in FGs and XPs for 8 points.  And from
a tone standpoint his 53 yarder to make it 7-3 was important.  A miss there deflates
the crowd and gives BUF terrific field position.

- Braden Mann had a solid effort punting with a 49 yard avg.  But the "slipping" on
KOs HAS GOT TO STOP!!!

- Braxton Berrios was decent on KOs (20 yard avg) and it would've been better without
a holding penalty.

- Good feel for the game by the staff in running a fake punt (Ashtyn Davis) to start
the second half.  BUF has been explosive all year and repeated punts back to them
is dangerous.  Unfortunately Zach Wilson fumbled later in the drive to keep points
off the board.


Defense

-  Fantastic effort by the defense in all phases (5 Sacks, 8 QB Hits, 2 INT).  BUF came
into the game averaging 29 points and they were held to 3 points over the last 37 minutes
of the game.  In addition the defense made Josh Allen look "pedestrian" from the pocket
(18/34, 205 yds, 2 INT) which really hasn't been seen since 2019.  The main damage Allen
did was on the ground (9 rushes, 86 yards, 2 TD) but it minimized BUF "video game offense"
so I'll take it.

- Is it fair to say the Jets have the best CB tandem in the league?  Other than the double
move Stephon Diggs pulled on Ahmad Gardner, he and DJ Reed were lockdown once again.
Gardner generated 7 Tackles, INT and a huge knockaway on the final play of the game against
Gabriel Davis.  While Reed had 4 Tackles and a textbook knockaway against Diggs which could've
been a TD.  They also are getting "respect" from the refs because they don't get flagged with
cheap pass interference penalties.

- Another excellent game by Jordan Whitehead as he had 4 Tackles, 2 Passes Defensed and an
INT (which should've been two if he had better hands).

- After returning from an injury CJ Mosley controlled the middle of the field with 6 Tackles,
Sack, Pass Defensed and a QB Hit.  In addition he did a nice job "spying" Allen to prevent
a couple of big runs.  And dislodging passes from a couple of receivers over the middle.

- While Mosley was recovering from his injury Jamien Sherwood had his best game as a pro.
As he had 5 Tackles, .5 Sack, QB Hit and he was entrusted with making the defensive calls.

- Quinnen Williams with his "standard" production of 2 Tackles, Sack, TFL and a QB Hit.

- The reason Jacob Martin was traded earlier in the week (DEN) was on full display.
As Bryce Huff and Jermaine Johnson were given more reps and brought speed/heat off the
edges.  Johnson had a Tackle, Sack, TFL and a QB Hit after being sidelined with an injury
for a couple of weeks.  He also displayed excellent speed and open field tackling on his
TFL as Allen was turning the corner but Johnson was able to close and get a 4 yard loss.
Huff had a Tackle, Sack, QB Hit and dominated the last BUF drive of the game.  Causing a
fumble on the strip of Allen (which also hurt his arm) and drawing a holding penalty.


Offense

- The OLine (Brown, Tomlinson, McGovern, Herbig, Ogbuehi) were the stars of the game as they
neutralized Von Miller and dominated BUF DLine by grinding out 174 yards on the ground (34
rushes).  And on the final drive of the game the OLine "took BUF soul" by running 8 straight
times and eating 6:10 of clock for the game winning FG.

- Michael Carter had his best game of the season (12 rushes, 76 yards, TD) and James Robinson
made an impression as he ran hard between the tackles (13 rushes, 48 yards).

- Garrett Wilson was the main weapon in the air game (8 catches, 92 yards).  But what's impressive
about his game is he isn't a "one trick pony".  He's shown he can get vertical but he doesn't 
shy away from going over the middle into traffic.  Also on WR screens he takes on tacklers and
tries to run through them.  It will be interesting to see what another 5-10 pounds of muscle
will bring to his game.


QB

- Solid bounce back game by Zach Wilson as he was efficient (18/25, 154 yards, TD) and showed better
pocket awareness.  He finally vacated the pocket and ran (24 yards) when a play was breaking down.
His one mistake was hanging in the pocket too long and getting stripped by Von Miller, fortunately
Gardner's INT made up for that mistake.  What will go unnoticed but must be brought up is the
smart way Wilson delivered the ball on most of his throws.  From the pocket he went sidearm and
3/4 to get around the raised arms of BUF DLine preventing blocked and tipped passes.


Final Thoughts

- The identity we displayed in the winning streak returned:
  * Run the ball
  * Don't turn it over
  * Excellent special teams
  * Lockdown defense
And shock of shock they won again, this time against a legit SB challenger.  Let's remember this
and not deviate from it.

- Also, during the winning streak we wore green helmets, white jerseys and black pants.  Against
NE we wore all black and lost, today we went back to the winning streak uniforms and won.  What
do you think we'll be wearing after the bye???  

Mann stepped on the tee with his non kick foot, that's what caused the slip.... very weird

Correction we don't have the best CB tandem... you're selling MC II short,  we have the best Cornerback trio in the league

Lastly,  I rewatched that fumble by ZW multiple times.  I would disagree he "was in the pocket to long". Von Miller had ZW on the run in 2 seconds. Essentially right after ZW set,  VM shed his block and was after Zach..... it was IMHO just a good football play by VM.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great write-up.  This game was actually on TV down here in Raleigh, NC so I go to watch it.  I will say there is a certain violence to our defense that I have not seen in a very long time.  When they hit, they hit hard and they swarm to the ball.  They make the other team pay even when they catch the ball.  Great to see.

ZW was pedestrian ... just average.  This is not a bash, in fact, with the way our defense is playing, this is all we need from him.  Make plays when they are there, and avoid the big mistakes.  Hopefully, something clicks with him and eventually he becomes our Mahomes.  When/if that happens... oh boy this team will be special.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, KRL said:

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!  What a way to go into the bye-week!!!  In the best regular season
win since the NE game in 2015, the Jets beat BUF 20-17 in an absolute shocker.  After
the stinker last week against NE, today was the best "deodorant" a fan could've hoped
for.  At 6-3 after making BUF look "pedestrian" it's time for the team and fanbase
to get greedy and aspire for more than just a wildcard spot:


Special Teams

- Solid effort by Greg Zuerlein as he was 2/2 in FGs and XPs for 8 points.  And from
a tone standpoint his 53 yarder to make it 7-3 was important.  A miss there deflates
the crowd and gives BUF terrific field position.

- Braden Mann had a solid effort punting with a 49 yard avg.  But the "slipping" on
KOs HAS GOT TO STOP!!!

- Braxton Berrios was decent on KOs (20 yard avg) and it would've been better without
a holding penalty.

- Good feel for the game by the staff in running a fake punt (Ashtyn Davis) to start
the second half.  BUF has been explosive all year and repeated punts back to them
is dangerous.  Unfortunately Zach Wilson fumbled later in the drive to keep points
off the board.


Defense

-  Fantastic effort by the defense in all phases (5 Sacks, 8 QB Hits, 2 INT).  BUF came
into the game averaging 29 points and they were held to 3 points over the last 37 minutes
of the game.  In addition the defense made Josh Allen look "pedestrian" from the pocket
(18/34, 205 yds, 2 INT) which really hasn't been seen since 2019.  The main damage Allen
did was on the ground (9 rushes, 86 yards, 2 TD) but it minimized BUF "video game offense"
so I'll take it.

- Is it fair to say the Jets have the best CB tandem in the league?  Other than the double
move Stephon Diggs pulled on Ahmad Gardner, he and DJ Reed were lockdown once again.
Gardner generated 7 Tackles, INT and a huge knockaway on the final play of the game against
Gabriel Davis.  While Reed had 4 Tackles and a textbook knockaway against Diggs which could've
been a TD.  They also are getting "respect" from the refs because they don't get flagged with
cheap pass interference penalties.

- Another excellent game by Jordan Whitehead as he had 4 Tackles, 2 Passes Defensed and an
INT (which should've been two if he had better hands).

- After returning from an injury CJ Mosley controlled the middle of the field with 6 Tackles,
Sack, Pass Defensed and a QB Hit.  In addition he did a nice job "spying" Allen to prevent
a couple of big runs.  And dislodging passes from a couple of receivers over the middle.

- While Mosley was recovering from his injury Jamien Sherwood had his best game as a pro.
As he had 5 Tackles, .5 Sack, QB Hit and he was entrusted with making the defensive calls.

- Quinnen Williams with his "standard" production of 2 Tackles, Sack, TFL and a QB Hit.

- The reason Jacob Martin was traded earlier in the week (DEN) was on full display.
As Bryce Huff and Jermaine Johnson were given more reps and brought speed/heat off the
edges.  Johnson had a Tackle, Sack, TFL and a QB Hit after being sidelined with an injury
for a couple of weeks.  He also displayed excellent speed and open field tackling on his
TFL as Allen was turning the corner but Johnson was able to close and get a 4 yard loss.
Huff had a Tackle, Sack, QB Hit and dominated the last BUF drive of the game.  Causing a
fumble on the strip of Allen (which also hurt his arm) and drawing a holding penalty.


Offense

- The OLine (Brown, Tomlinson, McGovern, Herbig, Ogbuehi) were the stars of the game as they
neutralized Von Miller and dominated BUF DLine by grinding out 174 yards on the ground (34
rushes).  And on the final drive of the game the OLine "took BUF soul" by running 8 straight
times and eating 6:10 of clock for the game winning FG.

- Michael Carter had his best game of the season (12 rushes, 76 yards, TD) and James Robinson
made an impression as he ran hard between the tackles (13 rushes, 48 yards).

- Garrett Wilson was the main weapon in the air game (8 catches, 92 yards).  But what's impressive
about his game is he isn't a "one trick pony".  He's shown he can get vertical but he doesn't 
shy away from going over the middle into traffic.  Also on WR screens he takes on tacklers and
tries to run through them.  It will be interesting to see what another 5-10 pounds of muscle
will bring to his game.


QB

- Solid bounce back game by Zach Wilson as he was efficient (18/25, 154 yards, TD) and showed better
pocket awareness.  He finally vacated the pocket and ran (24 yards) when a play was breaking down.
His one mistake was hanging in the pocket too long and getting stripped by Von Miller, fortunately
Gardner's INT made up for that mistake.  What will go unnoticed but must be brought up is the
smart way Wilson delivered the ball on most of his throws.  From the pocket he went sidearm and
3/4 to get around the raised arms of BUF DLine preventing blocked and tipped passes.


Final Thoughts

- The identity we displayed in the winning streak returned:
  * Run the ball
  * Don't turn it over
  * Excellent special teams
  * Lockdown defense
And shock of shock they won again, this time against a legit SB challenger.  Let's remember this
and not deviate from it.

- Also, during the winning streak we wore green helmets, white jerseys and black pants.  Against
NE we wore all black and lost, today we went back to the winning streak uniforms and won.  What
do you think we'll be wearing after the bye???  

You missed the part where zach wilson was terrible 🤪

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Great write-up.  This game was actually on TV down here in Raleigh, NC so I go to watch it.  I will say there is a certain violence to our defense that I have not seen in a very long time.  When they hit, they hit hard and they swarm to the ball.  They make the other team pay even when they catch the ball.  Great to see.

ZW was pedestrian ... just average.  This is not a bash, in fact, with the way our defense is playing, this is all we need from him.  Make plays when they are there, and avoid the big mistakes.  Hopefully, something clicks with him and eventually he becomes our Mahomes.  When/if that happens... oh boy this team will be special.

Would strongly disagree with your assessment of ZW.

I don't know if you're just looking at yards to come up with that assessment?  But the rest of the story is 72% completion,  1td 0int and a passer rating of over 101. That is hardly pedestrian.  As a matter of fact. If there was a pedestrian QB in that game,  it was Allen. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, PorP said:

Would strongly disagree with your assessment of ZW.

I don't know if you're just looking at yards to come up with that assessment?  But the rest of the story is 72% completion,  1td 0int and a passer rating of over 101. That is hardly pedestrian.  As a matter of fact. If there was a pedestrian QB in that game,  it was Allen. 

He was a game manager.  Allen is not part of my equation in my assessment.  ZW did his job but nothing more imo. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

He was a game manager.  Allen is not part of my equation in my assessment.  ZW did his job but nothing more imo. 

Zach's play meant that Buffalo had to respect the pass and couldn't just focus on stopping the run. He had a net positive impact on the game.

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, KRL said:

 

- Also, during the winning streak we wore green helmets, white jerseys and black pants.  Against
NE we wore all black and lost, today we went back to the winning streak uniforms and won.  What
do you think we'll be wearing after the bye???  

@Jetsfan80 You build a team in this order:

Uniforms 

then

Offense things, defense whatever you call it, and species (sp?) teams 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Amazing year being had by CJ Mosley (88 Tackles, Sack, 3 TFL, 4 Passes Defensed):

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16720/cj-mosley

He's been the anti-LeVeon Bell in terms of free agent signings

Mosley in those camouflage sleeves had me thinking we signed a Conklin looking dude at linebacker.  
I was like who is that? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

He was a game manager.  Allen is not part of my equation in my assessment.  ZW did his job but nothing more imo. 

Zach’s one and only job is to win. I don’t ask anything more of my QBs.  And he clearly is the reason the jets won. He had a very efficient game. Let the losers make the highlight real plays as they desperately try to “make a play”. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Amazing year being had by CJ Mosley (88 Tackles, Sack, 3 TFL, 4 Passes Defensed):

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16720/cj-mosley

He's been the anti-LeVeon Bell in terms of free agent signings

Yeppppp!  I have to say, many of us, including myself, were so wrong about his motivation and future here.  Completely wrong.  CJ is getting it done!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Amazing year being had by CJ Mosley (88 Tackles, Sack, 3 TFL, 4 Passes Defensed):

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16720/cj-mosley

He's been the anti-LeVeon Bell in terms of free agent signings

While it was probably his best game of the season, he also had some individual screwups like he has every week, still think he should be replaced after the season & is arguably the single most overrated player in the league (certainly on defense). But I’m still too happy with the win to list each facepalm right now.

The Jets are 6-3 and I’m in more of a mindset of however it had to happen, let it happen. Like Wilson getting strip-sacked indirectly led to more points than they’d have had if he merely went down without fumbling. Not that I liked the fumble, but we won & just took over the league’s current Goliath.

So I’m thrilled however it had to happen.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KRL said:

He's been the anti-LeVeon Bell in terms of free agent signings

Two lost seasons… Playing for the remainder of that absurd contract by MacDaddy bidding against himself. 
3rd highest LB contract according to OTC. Good player but hasn’t lived up to that contract by any means. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Spot on analysis! I definitely want to shine a little light on Nate Herbig too! The big man can move and has filled in for AVT nicely at RG!

I'd move AVT to RT next season, let everyone else battle it out for RG, but if this dude keeps it up he'll win that camp competition.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

He was a game manager.  Allen is not part of my equation in my assessment.  ZW did his job but nothing more imo. 

That's all the team has asked him to do at this point of his career. He's barely after a full season of number of starts.

I'm not making excuses for him as you can see other posts from me saying we should be open-minded to upgrading QB via free agency / trade or draft in 2023....

...but if he's putting up Jimmy G type of numbers in second season with the athletic ability to develop further over the next x amount of seasons I think we're in a good situation.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

While it was probably his best game of the season, he also had some individual screwups like he has every week, still think he should be replaced after the season & is arguably the single most overrated player in the league (certainly on defense).

We certainly need to draft his replacement now that he’s going on 31. $13mil in cap savings as Post June 1 cut in ‘23

Perfect time for JD to renegotiate that contract to add to our Cap space next year and have a capable MLB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I'd move AVT to RT next season, let everyone else battle it out for RG, but if this dude keeps it up he'll win that camp competition.

I said LT with Becton and Mitchell at RT but yes it would be wild haha honestly, I think I'd rather trade our #1 for Tunsil and maintain depth/original positions. Herbig was a great get though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

We certainly need to draft his replacement now that he’s going on 31. $13mil in cap savings as Post June 1 cut in ‘23

Perfect time for JD to renegotiate that contract to add to our Cap space next year and have a capable MLB

Agree except it’s $17MM in cap savings. He’s due $17MM; they save what they don’t pay him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Other Thoughts

- Douglas and his personnel staff have to get tremendous credit for the depth he's
built into this team.  Think about previous years when the Jets would experience 
ONE injury at ONE position and the team/season would crumble.  Look at the major
injuries this team has suffered this season:

 * Becton for the season
 * Wilson for 3 games
 * Brown for 4 games
 * Fant for 4 games
 * Mitchell for 4 games
 * Davis for 2 games
 * Vera-Tucker for the season
 * Hall for the season

- In my opinion this defense is better than the Ryan defenses of 2009-2010.  But
to get that recognition they'll have to make and win in the playoffs.  The Ryan
defenses were based on CB play, scheme, disguise and blitzing.  But other than
Revis and Cromartie they didn't have great speed/athletic ability.  Saleh's
scheme is pretty simple but they have elite athletic ability on all three levels.
And they attack offenses by lining up and beating them with personnel, depth and
speed  

can you imagine this team next year with the rookies/2nd year's one year older and if they get lucky with the injury bug.

mid level QB play and this is a team that is top 5 in the league. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Isn’t there still $4m in Dead Cap space?

Yes but that $4M hits the cap whether he’s here or not. If they cut him they cut $17MM from the payroll. Whatever you pay a player must come off the cap. 

It’s not like his cap hit is just $17MM in the first place. They pushed most of his 2022 cap hit to the future so they could fit others (D.Brown in particular). So there’s more than $4M in dead space long-term.

That doesn’t make him less cuttable; he was due that money (and therefore it had to hit the cap) whether JD let it hit this year or it came off in the future.

It was just - the way I see it, anyway - very forward thinking. Douglas drafted SO many players these past 2 seasons, that as more of them grow in to full time starters the team will be more able to get by without Mosley’s guaranteed money then than now. In the meantime the Jets are 6-3 now because they pushed his hit to the future when they’ll need to sign fewer high-priced FAs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...