NFLPA calls for 'immediate replacement and ban' from slit-firm turf field

THE BARON

4 hours ago, Coffee Is Great said:

Money. The answer is always money. Owners don't care about the health of their players outside of quarterbacks. They'd rather save the money as natural grass fields are more expensive to maintain. 

Then the owners are stupid.  Cut and dry.

What happens when your star player, who you pay $40 million a season to, goes down and costs you a trip to the Super Bowl?  Doesn't seem like a good idea to save a couple hundred thousand, does it?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, THE BARON said:

That is a great point.  Does playing and practicing on a bad filed regularly cause some sort of accumulated wear that can make a catastrophic knee or ankle injury more likely ? 

they are tendons and ligaments, not corroded nuts and bolts

these injuries are a sudden tear caused by trauma not gradual 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, hotrodcharlie said:

they are tendons and ligaments, not corroded nuts and bolts

these injuries are a sudden tear caused by trauma not gradual 

That's not really true.

Ligaments and tendons can fray, or get partial tears.  A ligament with a 5 or 10% tear may just be sore, but is easier to then completely tear later on.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, THE BARON said:

That is a great point.  Does playing and practicing on a bad filed regularly cause some sort of accumulated wear that can make a catastrophic knee or ankle injury more likely ? 

Aren’t the Jets outdoor practice fields grass?

Also, all of the major jets leg injuries have occurred on grass fields this year. 

Becton - grass field in training camp.

Fant - bad knee to begin season with, tweeked it @ Cleveland went on IR after Cincy. 

Mitchell - at Pittsburg (grass)

Hall - at Denver (grass)

Corey Davis - at GreenBay or maybe it was Denver.  Either way grass

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Also, all of the major jets leg injuries have occurred on grass fields this year. 

Fant - bad knee to begin season with, tweeked it @ Cleveland went on IR after Cincy. 

Hall - at Denver (grass)

Yup to all of the above.

strange

10 hours ago, Trotter said:

When World Cup comes to MetLife in a few years, they will only play on grass.

have to figure out something by then

This came up a few months ago, but in looking it up I thought I read there are already soccer games played on real grass at MetLife. Just not 1 NFL game per week for 20 straight weeks in the winter is all.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, hotrodcharlie said:

I found it interesting that in the NFLPA President's gripe about fields and safety he didn't cite any statistics at all. If these fields were actually causing more injuries seems like that would be easy to prove and would make for a more compelling argument

And I bet the turf companies push back in court. They aren’t going to let the nflpa basically ruin their reputation 

for the record I support changing the turf. 

13 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Id love to see the Jets bail out on that nasty stadium once the lease is up and renew the push for their own stadium on the west side. 

With the migration of wealth out of NYC to other states, now would probably be a good time to bring that West Side stadium project back to life. NYC could use the tax revenue and the Jets need a stadium of their own  The biggest issue is parking and tolls for fans. Could the subways handle the increased volumes on game days?

I seem to remember that the slit turf was picked over the other turfs because of the shared stadium. It is easer to replace the end zones, etc. with this type of turf than the other turfs. If that is true, that is probably why this turf is used. The other stadiums, that only play one sport do not really have any reason.

Hopefully the team will find a way for a better product.

As the NFLPA knows from the meeting of our Joint Field Surface Safety & Performance Committee earlier this month, there was no difference between the number of injuries on synthetic surfaces versus grass,” Jeff Miller, the NFL’s executive vice president of communications, public affairs and policy, said in a statement. “While slit-film surfaces, one type of synthetic material, have 2-3 more injuries per year, most of them are ankle sprains — a low-burden injury — whereas slit film also sees a lower rate of fewer high-burden ACL injuries compared to other synthetic fields. As a result, the league and NFLPA’s joint experts did not recommend any changes to surfaces at the meeting but agreed more study is needed.”

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This came up a few months ago, but in looking it up I thought I read there are already soccer games played on real grass at MetLife. Just not 1 NFL game per week for 20 straight weeks in the winter is all.

I kind of remember that - I am guessing trays over the existing surface?

39 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

With the migration of wealth out of NYC to other states, now would probably be a good time to bring that West Side stadium project back to life. NYC could use the tax revenue and the Jets need a stadium of their own  The biggest issue is parking and tolls for fans. Could the subways handle the increased volumes on game days?

Where are you going to put it? Queens is the only place left within NYC, assuming that's still possible. If the subways can handle Mets games on weekdays along with rush hour traffic, they could handle football games. Seems doubtful anyone's going to be extra-eager to fly in/out of LaGuardia on Sundays from August through New Year's. 

On paper, they can get out of it starting in 2025, if they give NJ notice in/by 2024. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetLife_Stadium#Technical_agreements. It's probably not coincidental that the MetLife naming rights expire at that time; they'd be getting less exposure for their money if one team leaves. 

It's a pipe dream, though. Taxpayers are already uneasy with contributing to new stadiums as it is, and aren't going to be suddenly receptive to doing so for Woody Johnson. With the Jets already having a place to play, and with NYC already having established venues for concerts and conventions (with a 7-train extension now done for the latter), it's not happening.

Further, if Woody had any actual interest in the team moving to Queens he had that opportunity when the WSS fell through. He and I think pretty much the whole Johnson family live in NJ . They built a mega-priced practice facility in NJ where the team offices are located since leaving its midtown address, and even more so as they're getting older they're probably happier with everything in NJ, 20 min from his ridiculous estate. The WSS was one thing, but it's not available anymore, plus that was years earlier (the original bid was accepted in 2005 when Woody was 58; in 2025, the first year they might even think about playing in a new stadium, he'll be 78).  

Not. Happening. 

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Influx and egress to and from the stadium would not be as big of a challenge as many think.  On a daily basis, 1,000,000 commute to NYC.  Getting 50,000 in and out once every two weeks would be easy to work out.  The Romans did it 2,000 years ago. 

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Hall - at Denver (grass)

All fact, but there are still numbers that show some types of turf are worse than others.  I also tend to listen to what the players say.  If they dont like a particular type of turf, the owners should listen.  We all should have a good work place with as few hazards as possible.  

20 hours ago, batman10023 said:

You not doing much thinking given breece injury was not at MetLife 

Breece just came to mind.  Was thinking about teams/fans that lose players in general.  If there is a chance it is the turf causing injuries, change it.  The players dont like it and that is enough for me.  That's their workplace.  They should have good working conditions.  There is more than enough money to make things better for the guys on the field.  Better for the game and the fans too if we get to see more of the guys that are rostered like Breece rather than lose them to injury.  I cant see one good reason to resist changing the turf to a type that the players prefer.  The money is there. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

There's no space there anymore; that's Hudson Yards. Let it go

Right.  A stadium that can be used by all for football games, concerts, international games, etc. would not work.  But an amusement park for hyper wealthy and multimillion dollar condos was no problem to build.  I've seen all the new construction there.  Nothing all that special.  A stadium would have been used and appreciated by more people.  

Why not extend Manhattan like they did with Battery Park or build a pier ??? No real estate left in Manhattan ??? Make Manhattan bigger.  Look at the Palm Islands they made in the UAE.  Do the same in NYC.  

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

That's not really true.

Ligaments and tendons can fray, or get partial tears.  A ligament with a 5 or 10% tear may just be sore, but is easier to then completely tear later on.

I saw an article at work 10 years ago that was about nurses back injuries.  

Almost all of them have a moment where they remembered lifting a patient that seemed like a sudden injury but it’s actually a cumulative injury.

They did scans on nurses and went back later and saw those who were injured “suddenly” already had bad backs.  

To me, Zach’s “noncontact” injury this season was probably from one of the 2 dirty hits by NE last season.  

• Upvote 1