Schefter: Zach Not Starting Sunday, White to Start

JetsFanatic

Yeah….that OL really opened some holes last Sunday boy oh boy…
listen, I hope White is successful, but if we can’t run the ball and the R side of our OL is Feeney/Ogbuehi, it willl be difficult. They need Herbig back at least. If Mitchell can play he’d be an upgrade over Ogbuehi too. 
Well if anything .. the benching of Zach puts the entire offense on notice ... No one is safe ... Perform or be benched.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Hael said:

It used to be mostly the rule back in the day.  Now its the exception.  Off the top of my head.  Steve Young, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, Mahomes.

Kids who don't have a great deal of fundamental technique thats ironed into their muscle memory usually need a lot of reps outside of the contact element.  Once things are live and people are about to hurt you, all of the blah blah blah the coaches teach goes right out the window and you might only retain a few percent.  ZW is basically a poster child for this, and Saleh more or less said as much.  Worse it creates all sorts of bad habits that easily can become hardwired.

And compared to the guys above as rookies, I would say he was/is significantly more raw than them.  Its hard to really find a qb in recent times who has a profile like ZW..

This is not news.  The question js: in 2022 what is the best way to handle a young QB? 

Young didn't sit.  He played for the Express and then the Bucs.  He sucked.  He came out in 1984 and wasn't any good until 1991.  That is not a career trajectory that we want Wilson to emulate.

Palmer might be the last one that sat without a playoff level guy ahead of him

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, JiFields said:

Yeah but he was glowing about him earlier this year.offseason, saying he's playing like a playoff QB.

And just two weeks ago he said that Zach Wilson is the starter for the rest of the season.

I think it's just Saleh's MO to publicly talk up his players.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

How can you say it is a 'bad' move, then give a reason that is quite plausible as to why it happened which would show it being a VERY 'good' move?

Because we need to know for sure, and starting him again this year if either Flacco, or White doesn't perform well makes it harder for the team to move forward and wonder if he can rebound. I know not many of us think he will me included, but the staff needs to know for sure so they can move on from Zach next year.

• Upvote 1

On 11/23/2022 at 4:30 PM, Kleckineau said:

Zach Wilson's performance is what Hackenberg would have looked like if he ever got a chance to play in a real NFL game.

I honestly hope I never see the Hackenzach play again.

It sounds like in addition to being really bad Zach’s lack of self awareness alienated him from the roster and the coaching staff.

His next start will be 2 years from now with another team after the starter is injured

On 11/23/2022 at 11:05 PM, 68JET11 said:

Because we need to know for sure, and starting him again this year if either Flacco, or White doesn't perform well makes it harder for the team to move forward and wonder if he can rebound. I know not many of us think he will me included, but the staff needs to know for sure so they can move on from Zach next year.

Seriously? I knew last season he wasnt the answer. In a lot of games this season he has played just as horrible as his rookie year.

On 11/23/2022 at 2:55 PM, Bleedin Green said:

While I agree what you're saying is the more common practice, at this point Wilson had successfully pissed off so many people that if they were to start him, it would take no more than a single 3 and out before he was getting booed off the field.  The home crowd could have been lost very, very quickly if things didn't go well.

Then of course the second part is, how much of that feeling was shared by the locker room and coaching staff too?  If they were going to be ready to pull him in the first quarter if things started badly, then better to just make that decision on Wednesday rather than Sunday.

Bottom line is people don't like people who (like Zach Wilson) are cocky and have lived a life of privilege. When you're always getting away with things because of "who" you are is something that is not looked upon with any sympathy when there's a fall. I just listened to a very good interview  with Mike Westhoff and he has some little tidbits and insights into Wilson's personality, or lack thereof

Bottom line is people don't like people who (like Zach Wilson) are cocky and have lived a life of privilege. When you're always getting away with things because of "who" you are is something that is not looked upon with any sympathy when there's a fall. I just listened to a very good interview  with Mike Westhoff and he has some little tidbits and insights into Wilson's personality, or lack thereof
[/url]  

Judging Zach by the way in which he grew up is pathetic. What has he gotten away with because of who he is? Any examples?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Judging Zach by the way in which he grew up is pathetic. What has he gotten away with because of who he is? Any examples?

All these experts, ex players and talk show hosts, I ask this, most of your kids are gonna grow up with money, does that make them entitled and any less of a hard worker or whatever else we are broad stroking ZW with?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

This Zach benching is blown out of proportion. It is not about White, it is a commentary on how Zach is perceived. They can say all the right things, but they know Wilson is a bad prospect. You don’t bench a player for disciplinary or a reset and demote him to the practice squad. The only way we see him again if we are out of the playoff race. Expect a veteran player to start in 2023.

All these experts, ex players and talk show hosts, I ask this, most of your kids are gonna grow up with money, does that make them entitled and any less of a hard worker or whatever else we are broad stroking ZW with?

There’s a bunch of members on this board who dislike Zach cause of his play so they cling to every and any info (whether they hear it or come up with it on their own) to drag the kid through the mud. Meanwhile, they all claim to be Jets fans (which some I don’t believe) & hate on their own player(s) Meanwhile, their/were guys played/playing in the league (And all leagues as well) who have committed crimes and a blind eye is turned due to their play. Lots of posters called for Mike White to start, let’s see how that goes as he is no proven commodity. All the while we’re 6-4 and in the thick of a playoff run. Lastly, most pro sports athletes are no alter boy’s and have much worse attitudes than Wilson.

2 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Yeah not a good look for Wilson at all. Seems like more of this behind the scenes stuff is surfacing. Jets have done a good job covering for him so far. Sounds like they hit a breaking point.

On 11/23/2022 at 8:58 PM, Spoot-Face said:

And just two weeks ago he said that Zach Wilson is the starter for the rest of the season.

I think it's just Saleh's MO to publicly talk up his players.

It’s amazing to me that any fan that is hardcore enough  to post on a message board doesn’t understand “coach speak”

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Hmmmmmm did anyone hear his critique of MLF????????

Interesting......

He is saying that MLF is not giving Wilson a chance

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I don’t know if Zach has it to be a starter in the NFL none the less a franchise Qb. He could have a short NFL career. He had 28 regular season starts at BYU a school that has produced QBs in the NFL over the years. He produced big numbers in Provo but at that school it’s the rule not the exception. I went to last Saturday’s BYU vs Utah Tech game and there were 4 long Td passes over 30 yards, three by BYU just in the first half. Overall the BYU starting QB Jared Hall considered an NFL prospect threw for 456 yards and 5 TDS. These big numbers sound and look great it was a very exciting game to watch. But can a Qb like Zach consistently run an NFL offense. So far the answer is NO. He makes great plays at times but how’s about all the 3 and outs and long periods during a game when he isn’t moving the offense. You can understand the frustration of the defense who overall have played very well. I think his overall talent will win out that is if he’s smart enough to listen and learn. 

10 hours ago, JetsYanks13 said:

There’s a bunch of members on this board who dislike Zach cause of his play so they cling to every and any info (whether they hear it or come up with it on their own) to drag the kid through the mud. Meanwhile, they all claim to be Jets fans (which some I don’t believe) & hate on their own player(s) Meanwhile, their/were guys played/playing in the league (And all leagues as well) who have committed crimes and a blind eye is turned due to their play. Lots of posters called for Mike White to start, let’s see how that goes as he is no proven commodity. All the while we’re 6-4 and in the thick of a playoff run. Lastly, most pro sports athletes are no alter boy’s and have much worse attitudes than Wilson.

It takes a real douche to answer “no….no” and then not even realize you were being a douche until your dad sent you a text saying, “you were a douche in that interview”

Any QB in the NFL not named Zach Wilson understands a sh-tty performance like that in the context of your defense surrendering only 3 pts is going to call attention to your putrid play and rightfully so.

There isn’t a single QB in the NFL who would have answered “no” to Hughes’ question.

You have to be ridiculously out of touch with reality to say that with a straight face and not realize you effed up.

On 11/23/2022 at 4:39 PM, Beerfish said:

We KILLED firzpatrick for throwing ints trying to make things happen.

We will see, like i said before at least there is zero excuse for the offense and the receivers now.

True, but Fitz was a lot like the strev.  It looks good when it is working. 

I do not think that Mike White is the truth.  Instead, I expect a disciplined screen game that attacks the edges.  Not a dump off to the flat.  An attack.  We will call and throw bubble screens.  A Shanahan staple that appears to have disappeared from the Jets playbook.  I also expect Mike White to actually take some snaps under center.  Not only that, I expect him to execute play action fakes that WORK and freeze some linebackers/safeties.  I expect crisp execution on gadget plays.   I expect us to call lots of them.

All of this takes place before we cross the line of scrimmage.   Did you have any confidence in Zack on any of this?  He was not ready.  He needs to watch Bull Durham and find Crash Davis. 

Mike White is prepared to execute the LaFleur offense.  Now all he has to do is complete the passes to open receivers on time.  I see the polish.  I see the hard work.  Now, the rubber meets the road.

The  picks are ancient history.  For the record, I only blamed one on Mike.  Two of them went right through the hands of Jets the rest were in games that were already over.  This year's supporting cast is so good that our rookie tight end cannot even get on the field.  We have three young wideouts who  may be FAR better than they have appeared so far.   And our offensive line has two returning starters.  I am looking forward to today's game.

As for our defense.  Heh.