Schefter: Zach Not Starting Sunday, White to Start

JetsFanatic

27 minutes ago, Vader said:

Both of these QBs White and Wilson are INT prone. The point I am making is that Wilson wasn't benched for throwing INTs. He was benched for being a terrible, inaccurate QB that can not complete passes to wide open receivers. INTs can be forgivable (esp with this defense). Completely sh*tting the bed, being unable to complete easy passes that a HS QB can complete is not forgivable. 

I also just went back and watched White's worst game interception- wise week 10 against the Buffalo  Bills White threw one in the 1st quarter and by the time he threw his second the Bills were leading 24-3 and this was a guy swinging for the fences, Still I'd rather see a guy who plays the position with some balls instead of what we've been seeing this season from Wilson

Here's the "disastrous" Bills game that people like to bring up- the 1st INT all on White from where I sit, maybe there's someone who ran the wrong route I don't know. One thing I do know and if you guys are honest and watch the QB;'s play you will have to admit, Mike White stands in there and throws a damn nice football pass 

Never been a big Mike White fan but this was the best move Saleh could possibly make. Everything about Zach's play and talk begged for him to get benched. The Jets have a higher chance now.

This shows a lot of growth from the CS and management. They wouldn't have even thought about this decision if this staff came in 1 year ago instead of more. They didn't pick up or trade for a better QB to back up Zach, because they weren't planning on benching him in any scenario. That was a bad move, and they've reacted as good as they could have. Props to them.

I still hope Zach has a future with this team but if he doesn't take this opportunity to grow and improve himself he's a lost cause.

Right decision. Zach was terrible. This offense could not function in it's entirety with him behind center. He was just incapable of reading the defense and throwing the ball downfield with any consistency and he handles pressure very poorly. It was obvious the play calling was geared to his limitations. It will be interesting to see if the play calling is any different on Sunday because against the Pats it was pretty bad. In Mike White we trust. 

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Mahomes for starters.

Starters?  Who else sat a year?  Lamar Jackson?  Maybe you can count Cousins?  Sitting behind QBs that made the playoffs the prior season is not a luxury most teams have.  It also does not indicate a QB that needed to sit.  Mahomes looked pretty good week 17 of 2017 in Denver.  Jackson looked okay taking over for Flacco, but they had to retool the offense for him to really blow up.  It becomes kind of a chicken vs. egg thing.  Are they good because they sat, or are they just good?  

• Upvote 1

Yep - that was the time to do it. Saleh and JD wanted to stay with Zach the rest of this season as they have repeatedly stated. Like Saleh did in the post game presser. It wasn't until Monday AFTER a 90 minute delay did Saleh say it's all about the team and not the QB.
I guess Saleh was late due to Woody telling both JD and Saleh that the honeymoon is over and he demands this team try to WIN this season or there will be consequences.
Zach;s reaction to the news shows me he's a lost cause. Why Me?????????
1. Paraphrased
2. Probably interference to multiple breakdowns on offense.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't know, this is an odd move to do for a home game. The textbook way to do this is probably give him one more chance against Chicago, especially with Fields day to day and Chicago's defense being so bad, then if he falls again you can handle something like this during a road game when the media and fan nonsense will be diminished. Then if White or the other guy bombs you can come back home and focus on moving on. Hard thing to just throw Wilson back out there given the schedule and stakes. This is probably a week too early but with the history that the Jets have of sticking to their guns with struggling QB's it's probably better to act earlier than later at this point. Jets have a solid core to work with the next 2-3 years and need to know what they have going into the offseason.

While I agree what you're saying is the more common practice, at this point Wilson had successfully pissed off so many people that if they were to start him, it would take no more than a single 3 and out before he was getting booed off the field.  The home crowd could have been lost very, very quickly if things didn't go well.

Then of course the second part is, how much of that feeling was shared by the locker room and coaching staff too?  If they were going to be ready to pull him in the first quarter if things started badly, then better to just make that decision on Wednesday rather than Sunday.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

They did because he is a perfect system QB for a Shanahan offense

i said this in another thread...

Keyshawn was told by a Jet coach that White is better than Zach and everyone knows it. but they has to play Zach because he was the #2 pick. he also said what you just did, he is perfect for this system.

29 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I wonder how long they give Mike White. My guess would be 2 games max if he doesnt play well and we go 0-2.

i dont think its the wins but how he plays . we went 5-2 with Zach and he sucks. we could go 0-2 with White but he could be much better.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Seems about right. I’d expect Zach back in that scanario.

If they decide to go back to Zach, I can't imagine it's going to be on the road against Buffalo.  As long as he stays healthy, I think White gets a minimum of 3 games and if he has back-to-back stinkers against Vikings and Bills, that will give the team the perfect opportunity to give Zach his chance at redemption at home against Detroit.

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

Keyshawn was told by a Jet coach that White is better than Zach and everyone knows it. but they has to play Zach because he was the #2 pick. he also said what you just did, he is perfect for this system.

I thought Mike White showed his mastery of this offense last season in his limited reps.  Zach showed so little command out there that the difference was stark. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, doitny said:

There’s been rumblings for months that everyone in the building knows white is better

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

While I agree what you're saying is the more common practice, at this point Wilson had successfully pissed off so many people that if they were to start him, it would take no more than a single 3 and out before he was getting booed off the field.  The home crowd could have been lost very, very quickly if things didn't go well.

Then of course the second part is, how much of that feeling was shared by the locker room and coaching staff too?  If they were going to be ready to pull him in the first quarter if things started badly, then better to just make that decision on Wednesday rather than Sunday.

Hey I like the move. Reminds me of Rex in the playoffs against San Diego when you could see him yelling let's go for the win. Jets are a quirky matchup for anyone in the playoffs this year and it takes balls to go for it this hard when you just drafted the guy second overall last year. The old Jets would not have done this. Sometimes you have to say **** it and go against what the textbook says.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, doitny said:

If Mike White is a perfect fit for the system, why did they play the corpse of Joe Flacco for 3 games?

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

I thought Mike White showed his mastery of this offense last season in his limited reps.  Zach showed so little command out there that the difference was stark. 

Mike White was a good technician and tore the Bengals up by taking all of the underneath stuff to the tune of 277 YAC. Slowly but surely after that they D's took away the short stuff and dared White to beat them deep. Before his injury against the Colts, he had some success doing this, but against the Bills, it was disastrous. I expect the Bears to take away the short stuff and dare White to go deep. He's got the weapons to do so. I hope he has worked on that part of his game knowing it was how D's chose to attack him. 

• Upvote 1

Hey I like the move. Reminds me of Rex in the playoffs against San Diego when you could see him yelling let's go for the win. Jets are a quirky matchup for anyone in the playoffs this year and it takes balls to go for it this hard when you just drafted the guy second overall last year. The old Jets would not have done this. Sometimes you have to say **** it and go against what the textbook says.

Agree with all of this 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Love this reaction from Zach.  He is a competitor.  This time off will be good for him.  I still believe this kid is our future and I believe the coaching staff and gm do too.

The fact that Zach asks "Why me?" tells us in no uncertain terms that he is still not getting it!