If Zach demanded a trade

Wit

I agree he's 90% out the door unless he gets one more shot to display skills far superior to White.

I don't really see him sitting for a year in 2023 to play out years 4-5.

I've been wrong before ... But it's a gut feeling.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

We got a 6th plus a delayed 2nd and 4th for Sam.....just saying :) 

Sam, at the same point, played better than Zach. He also had the excuse of a poor supporting cast. Teams then probably assumed Darnold’s issues were because of the Jets.

It’s anyone’s guess I suppose but I’d say a 3rd seems realistic. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Wit said:

Lets say Mike White does well enough to get this team to play offs and maybe wins a game. 

Zach demands a trade.

Jets get a "highish" first rounder. (Why? Because he may still have more value to teams vs. the QB's coming out this year)

Do you draft a QB high/ trade up for another QB? - We can still roll with White and develop someone. 

I do not think Zach would generate a 1st Rounder. He is a complete flop. Many high first round QB's were proved to be COMPLETE  ZERO in the National Football League.

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I hope you realize I’m not trying to be a smart Alec or play gotcha when I ask this…. I’m genuinely curious.

Weren’t you always of the opinion that a team should keep drafting QBs in the first round until they found their guy, or am I thinking of someone else?

BTW if you were, and you’ve changed your view after the Darnold and Wilson debacles, I totally understand. I was always one who thought I’d keep picking until I found one, and I’m beginning to waver, but I’m  not there yet. I think I’d keep trying.

Yes, I was 100 %  on the "you can only find your franchise QB in Rd 1" bandwagon for a long time.

But considering Douglas is the best GM we've had in decades and even HE can't seem to find a QB, it might be time to change course.  QB is the hardest position in all of pro sports to evaluate for a reason.  If White is the guy coming out of nowhere, who cares that he wasn't a high draft pick?  And/or if we want to add a guy like Minshew I'm all for it.  I'm also down to draft a guy in the middle rounds.  Just not in the 1st.

Until we find an elite guy, I'll gladly settle for competence.  With how talented this roster is, and how much offenses as a whole are struggling this year compared to prior ones, that might be good enough to win a title.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Wit said:

Lets say Mike White does well enough to get this team to play offs and maybe wins a game. 

Zach demands a trade.

Jets get a "highish" first rounder. (Why? Because he may still have more value to teams vs. the QB's coming out this year)

Do you draft a QB high/ trade up for another QB? - We can still roll with White and develop someone. 

If Zach's last game was the Patriots game, they aren't getting a first rounder for him.

They wouldn't get a 2nd rounder either.

I am not giving up on the kid but he has no value right now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, I was 100 %  on the "you can only find your franchise QB in Rd 1" bandwagon for a long time.

But considering Douglas is the best GM we've had in decades and even HE can't seem to find a QB, it might be time to change course.  QB is the hardest position in all of pro sports to evaluate for a reason.  If White is the guy coming out of nowhere, who cares that he wasn't a high draft pick?  And/or if we want to add a guy like Minshew I'm all for it.  I'm also down to draft a guy in the middle rounds.  Just not in the 1st.

Until we find an elite guy, I'll gladly settle for competence.  With how talented this roster is, and how much offenses as a whole are struggling this year compared to prior ones, that might be good enough to win a title.

Something is changing in the NFL too. Defense is important again. Don't quote me on the exact # but for the last ten years it seemed like you had a top 5 QB or not. So the 1st round star seemed to make sense.

Now teams are running the ball again. It is within the realm of possibility that you could win a Super Bowl with a good QB, great defense and strong running game. For the last x years that thought seemed to have gone out the window.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Ultimately, would the receiving team end up with two relatively cheap years of what could possibly be their franchise QB if he worked out? The base for 23 and 24, minus the signing bonus? 

The base salary plus the upcoming roster bonuses; all of which is fully guaranteed (his team can’t get out of paying it by simply releasing him; a trade moves those upcoming payment burdens to his new team).

His new team would be unaffected by the 2021 signing bonus amortization since they’re not the ones who paid it. The Jets were the ones who paid it so it only comes off the Jets’ cap. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Something is changing in the NFL too. Defense is important again. Don't quote me on the exact # but for the last ten years it seemed like you had a top 5 QB or not. So the 1st round star seemed to make sense.

Now teams are running the ball again. It is within the realm of possibility that you could win a Super Bowl with a good QB, great defense and strong running game. For the last x years that thought seemed to have gone out the window.

A direct result of defenses getting faster and smaller to combat the passing attacks.

Tiny Linebacker ™️  was indeed where the NFL was going.  

• Upvote 1

Frankly, I don't think the Jets are trading Wilson unless there is a team out there that loves Zach Wilson and would trade a first round pick or a second round pick + more. Douglas has shown he places a high value on his own players, So, unless someone blows JD away with an offer, I think Zach Wilson remains a Jet.

Douglas has said on many occasions that he is a big believer in player development and Saleh has that religious like devotion to the Navy Seals. Considering those factors, I think there is a good chance that the two of them view Zach Wilson as a kid with talent who's head, attitude, youth and sheltered life experiences got in the way of him having any real success. The question is has Zach Wilson hit rock bottom? Is he in a place where he accepts that he knows nothing and that the only thing his skill achieved for him is an "opportunity"? Is he now willing to abandon any semblance of being a young rich guy enjoying his money and instead put his nose to the grindstone and dedicate himself to the craft of becoming an NFL QB? 

I don't know the answers to these questions. I suspect that Douglas and Saleh do not as well but are not willing to move the #2 pick who they viewed as a franchise QB without at least going through this offseason to find out.

That's just my two cents.

But if I was running the show, I'd move Zach Wilson for a bag of beans and sign this guy . . . 

image.jpeg.a4fadcfdada938919385911fe1f68fe6.jpeg

image.jpeg.4e81c3ffb88fd2ff30403742af80e019.jpeg

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Wit said:

Zach demands a trade

LOL, would be epic

I don’t doubt his camp would do this, but it’s laughable in the context of how he’s looked as a #2 overall pick 

where does he think he could be traded?  SF?

Kyle Shanahan will prob be able to sign / trade for Brady in the offseason 

He might be interested in ZW as a developmental project, but he also knows you can’t build an offense around a guy who can’t execute basic on-schedule plays

On 12/10/2022 at 1:51 PM, kevinc855 said:

Zach will never get a 1st 

I could see some QB needy teams who think they can fix Zach tho taking a shot with a second rounder 

I don’t know what thought process is more delusional:

a) Zach will develop into a franchise qb

or

b) Zach will get us a 1st rd pick

Both are as laughable as flat earth theories

• Haha 3

On 12/11/2022 at 9:53 AM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Kyle Shanahan will prob be able to sign / trade for Brady in the offseason 

Brady has a son living in NYC playing HS football and two kids who will likely be in Miami.  

it will be telling if he takes the bait to play for Shanahan in SF.   He should play for the Jets, Giants or Dolphins. 

On 12/10/2022 at 1:42 PM, Wit said:

Zach demands a trade.

My initial take is that Zach has just about zero trade value with what he's shown over the last two seasons, given he was the worst QB in the league.

But then, JD was able to get a 2nd and 4th for Darnold, who was the worst in the league, so what the hell do I know.

On 12/10/2022 at 2:23 PM, LIJetsFan said:

We got a 6th plus a delayed 2nd and 4th for Sam.....just saying :) 

Zach has been a far more colossal fail.  Most teams have backup QB's who have looked better.  Mike White's success eliminates the argument it's the offensive line or the coordinator.  It's Zach.  His childish handling of press conferences doesn't help.

They need to fix him.  We are talking footwork.  We are talking knowing where your options are.  We are talking stopping the ridiculous running around without eyes downfield.   How about hitting those 5 yard, wide open, passes.   He looked totally unprepared for the speed of the game.  Either he is the dumbest QB ever seen, someone who didn't do enough prep or the coaches didn't do a good job with him.  Those guys seem wide open when Mike White is in there.

If he doesn't improve significantly, we are realistically looking at a mid round pick.  The idea that someone would give up a 3, is wishful thinking.  Darnold looked much better than Zach.  Zach plays behind a much better line, with significantly better offensive weapons at every spot and is not saddled with the dumbest head coach, calling terrible plays.

No more excuses.  Hope Zach is working hard on these problems, not seem in most draftable quarterbacks.  He has the talent.  His mechanics are terrible and his grasp of the game-plan is just terrible.

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, heymangold said:

it's a qb crazy league.  i could see someone offering up a late 1st for zach. 

We will know because if that is offered it will be accepted by the Jets. Whatever one thinks of his ceiling or potential to turn things around, he has worn out his welcome and will be viewed as a distressed asset sale.

Zach demands a trade.

Tell Zach to shut up and learn how to do his job.  Get your screwed up footwork right like 60 other NFL quarterbacks have done..  Get a decent understanding of the game-plan, so you know where your options are, like 60 othe NFL quarterbacks have.  Keep your eyes downfield, like 60 other NFL quarterbacks have.  Running around like a nut does no good if you are not buying time to make a play.  He doesn't look downfield.  Guess that's why his QBR is under 30 whenever he is under pressure and lower when he does those crazy circle runs away from his receivers.

Mike White avoid the rush better than the elusive Zach because he knows where his options are and gets rid of the ball.

58 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Seattle, Tennessee, LA Rams, Atlanta, Tampa, Raiders, carolina if they miss on a QB

a late 1st rounder isn't crazy.  like it was said earlier, Sam was traded for a 2+.  zach has 2 years and a 5th year option left.

A late first rounder for a QB that's been benched and whose teammates hope he never sees the field again is very unlikely. That said, I hope I'm 100% wrong. 

Zach demands a trade.

Jets get a "highish" first rounder. 

Aliens land at the Super Bowl during halftime and probe both head coaches for fan entertainment on the Jumbotron. 

See? I write fiction too. Might not be as creative as yours, but i try.