Are The Jets Obligated to Play Zach in 2023

This is a question I have been asking myself. I think there is virtually no chance JD trades Zach for anything less that what we got for Darnold so I think Zach is still here in 2023. So let's  say he is for argument sake. If MW plays well in the next two games and dare I say the playoffs, will the Jets have an obligation to see if Zach improved and play him in real games. I don't think we can go off the preseason and camp, I think we will not get a clear picture that way. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 1

So much has changed in a short period of time. Zach now represents years of frustration and is no longer a sellable commodity. Zach showing up at a local sporting event will no longer be wise. Wearing a Zach jersey now will be met with ridicule. Both parties need to go their separate ways. A desperate team may part with a 4th. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Zach needs to sit behind a very good QB with a top Offensive coach.  Under that scenario he's likely to at best be a journeyman NFL backup.  He may even have a breakout season with a great team down the line say in year 6 or 7 like Steve Young.  

Robert Saleh and Mike Lefleur aren't the coaches to develop him.  The Jets don't have a high quality starter for him to sit behind either.  Green Bay or LA make the most sense.  If Shanahan is interested in him and they are ready to move on from Lance that might be an interesting trade.  Although I think the likelyhood of Saleh and Lefleur developing Lance is near zero.  If Green Bay is interested in Zach's potential and are ready to trade Love for him that might be a possability.  

Carr could be interesting here because despite he's lack of greatness, he's likely the 2nd best QB in our division behind Allen.   Tua, who might be better looks like he's near finished in the NFL.

25 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This is a question I have been asking myself. I think there is virtually no chance JD trades Zach for anything less that what we got for Darnold so I think Zach is still here in 2023. So let's  say he is for argument sake. If MW plays well in the next two games and dare I say the playoffs, will the Jets have an obligation to see if Zach improved and play him in real games. I don't think we can go off the preseason and camp, I think we will not get a clear picture that way. 

No Way Friday GIF

I thought we went over this. The Jets will be bringing in a veteran FA starter. This means one thing. Zach is not starting. 

Now, will the FA be a top tier guy? Will it be a mid tier or lower tier guy? Will it be MW? We shall see. But Zach is not starting. Will the Jets draft a QB? Maybe, why not. But none of this would create a scenario where Zach would start barring injury.

*I could see a scenario where Zach is the #2 with a rookie QB as the #3 and Strev on the PS.  

Just now, T0mShane said:

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Glazer has his report that Zach is gone in the same week that Steve Young changes his tone to “it’s too bad it didn’t work out there, but go Jets!” and Zach’s mom is talking about the Jets in the past tense. It sounds like they at least have the framework for some type of departure from the Jets. It’s a terrible QB draft class this year—someone will decide Zach is a better bet than wee Bryce Young or big dope Will Levis. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, PepPep said:

No Way Friday GIF

I thought we went over this. The Jets will be bringing in a veteran FA starter. This means one thing. Zach is not starting. 

Now, will the FA be a top tier guy? Will it be a mid tier or lower tier guy? Will it be MW? We shall see. But Zach is not starting. Will the Jets draft a QB? Maybe, why not. But none of this would create a scenario where Zach would start barring injury.

*I could see a scenario where Zach is the #2 with a rookie QB as the #3 and Strev on the PS.  

I really don't  agree with this. I know there are all these stories bow Zach is a goner but there is also the story that JD has been pushing for him to play. I think JD is going to keep his signature selection on the team next season and will be campaigning  for him to get playing time. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I really don't  agree with this. I know there are all these stories bow Zach is a goner but there is also the story that JD has been pushing for him to play. I think JD is going to keep his signature selection on the team next season and will be campaigning  for him to get playing time. 

San Francisco Giants Thumbs Up GIF by MLB

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Where did I say he was not going to be on the team? lol And yes, JD is probbaly pushing for him to play, but in no way can he afford to not bring in a veteran starter. 

I 100% agree that Zach will be on the team. Most likely as a #2 not #3. And yes, if there is an injury he will be the first man up.

Maybe JD will even make a phantom QB competition in camp to push Zach. But like I said, the Jets will bring in a FA vet. They will pay him starter money and THAT guy will get 1st team reps and barring injury will be the starter. 

Well See GIF by Saturday Night Live

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Glazer has his report that Zach is gone in the same week that Steve Young changes his tone to “it’s too bad it didn’t work out there, but go Jets!” and Zach’s mom is talking about the Jets in the past tense. It sounds like they at least have the framework for some type of departure from the Jets. It’s a terrible QB draft class this year—someone will decide Zach is a better bet than wee Bryce Young or big dope Will Levis. 

The jets are probably not taking a qb this year, they’ll roll with white and a vet and douglas will continue his don quixotie quest to fix the OL.  Once wilson is gone the narrative will shift to whether becton or mims will stay.  

Though you bring up an interesting point about how everyone changed their tune at the same time.  You have to wonder what someone like Steve young really thinks after watching wilson wilt continuously while white thrived in the same offense.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

they have to trade him this year.

he has 2 years left on his contract, somebody will give you something for him and it wont be what we got for Sam. the alternative is he sits a whole year or comes in and sucks which with one year left brings he trade value to nothing.

you cant compare him to the Sam Darnold trade. Sam has a 6% better comp % as a Jet. Sam threw more TDs than INTs in 2 of his 3 years here. Zach has none. Zach has had a historically bad 2 years but you can still get something for him. Sam was traded to be a starter, Zach will be traded to sit behind a good starter and see if they can develop him for 2 years. 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I think all options for ZW are on the table now.

Also think the addition of real competition at QB is necessary.

Do not think Flacco or MW are the level of competition needed.

JD and RS have been making reasonable decisions.

Going to be interesting to see how this is handled.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah sure. If he's trying to get himself fired.

42 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The jets are probably not taking a qb this year, they’ll roll with white and a vet and douglas will continue his don quixotie quest to fix the OL.  Once wilson is gone the narrative will shift to whether becton or mims will stay.  

Though you bring up an interesting point about how everyone changed their tune at the same time.  You have to wonder what someone like Steve young really thinks after watching wilson wilt continuously while white thrived in the same offense.  

I don’t think the Jets will draft a qb. I think some team drafting late first/early second will want a developmental QB and convince themselves that Zach Wilson has the best package of brain/arm/legs and throw the Jets a pick or a player for him

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think the Jets will draft a qb. I think some team drafting late first/early second will want a developmental QB and convince themselves that Zach Wilson has the best package of brain/arm/legs and throw the Jets a pick or a player for him

May be a best case for the jets and that team.  If douglas can turn wilson into a starting OL or get another pass rusher that’s probably a best case scenario at this point.  Wilson may ultimately be salvageable and stay in the league but he’s not turning into an efficient qb.  

• Upvote 1

Obviously depends on their plans for starting QB next year, but he's basically torpedoed any trade value by putting out as much bad tape as he has. I don't see the trade offers being there that JD would want to pursue and think Zach is basically going to be told he has basically the offseason to figure his stuff out and come into camp next year to compete for a job of some kind.

Personally, I'd prefer they just resign Mike White and bring in an actually competent vet type to compete or be the backup and roster Zach as the 3rd qb until he shows signs of development enough to move him.  That being said, the Jets have shown zero aptitude in developing the mechanics of a qb so I don't really expect him to be fixed unless he gets outside help and reconstructs his mechanics.

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As much as I believe in Douglas fleecing a team with a trade. I just don't see any team giving up more then a 3rd at this point. He's a developmental back up at this point. You're not giving up 2's for that.

23 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

That being said, the Jets have shown zero aptitude in developing the mechanics of a qb...

Outside of Daboll and Josh Allen, which NFL QB's have had "their mechanics developed" at the NFL level recently and then found success?

IMO, from the league I'm watching, the NFL isn't really for development, and certainly isn't for development of players completely unprepared to perform at this level mechanically.  Some QB's may need some time for the depths of the mental game at the professional level to sink in, or to gain proper weight/strength via true pro-level conditioning programs, sure, but "developing" basic mechanics of playing the QB position?  I honestly don't think so.

Our community often laments that we (the Jets) such at "developing QB's", but who in this league is good at "developing QB's" exactly?  And who are these horrible, worst-in-NFL level QB's getting "developed" into stars only after they get to the NFL? 

• Upvote 2

Simple as this.  If Mike White plays well the next two games and leads us into the playoffs, he is most likely the QB1 going into next year.  If he doesn’t, we will go into he offseason looking for a veteran QB1.

Zach will not start a game in 2023 under center even if he’s on the team unless by injury or very crappy play.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1