Will Becton be overweight again come training camp?

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He was absolutely out of shape coming into camp. 

14 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

@TomShane JN's premier purveyor of fake news. 

He was overweight in camp.

2021:

2022:

Becton was present for New York’s mandatory minicamp Tuesday and Wednesday. But the intrigue over his shape continued when neither Becton nor the team would directly answer questions about the tackle’s weight.

Head coach Robert Saleh said Wednesday, “I’m not going to get into (weight) details, but he’s fine.”

Becton said, “I'm satisfied where I'm at. ... I'm not saying numbers.”

• Upvote 2

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

last known photo of Becton from December. looks like he would break you like a pretzel tbh

Damn, I searched for the tweet and you just beat me to it.  
But really that was a month ago, obviously is taking training a little more seriously.  Hopefully it leads to not getting rolled up on or injured.  

• Upvote 1

The hate this guy gets from Jets fans for having his knee destroyed by Greg Van Roten is really something. The second knee injury was predicted by doctors who said it was a risk from this type of injury. So the guy loses 2 years of his career because of a crappy team mate and y'all just want to constantly spew hate. Cool fan base.

I get not relying on him being there at this point but why so much hate?

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The hate this guy gets from Jets fans for having his knee destroyed by Greg Van Roten is really something. The second knee injury was predicted by doctors who said it was a risk from this type of injury. So the guy loses 2 years of his career because of a crappy team mate and y'all just want to constantly spew hate. Cool fan base.

I get not relying on him being there at this point but why so much hate?

I don't hate him. I dislike this team making plans that rely on him like he's....reliable. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He was overweight in camp.

2021:

2022:

Becton was present for New York’s mandatory minicamp Tuesday and Wednesday. But the intrigue over his shape continued when neither Becton nor the team would directly answer questions about the tackle’s weight.

Head coach Robert Saleh said Wednesday, “I’m not going to get into (weight) details, but he’s fine.”

Becton said, “I'm satisfied where I'm at. ... I'm not saying numbers.”

You're quoting a reporters speculation. Which is how all this non sense started, speculation.  Reporters saying "he looks overweight" without any hard proof. 

Then you posted an article where both coach and player contradict the report. 

Also, see the above picture of Becton at the beginning of TC, I'll speculate he's not out of shape. 

• Upvote 1

I will say this.  If JD refuses to admit his two early colossal mistakes with Becton and Wilson and move on, he will be signing his own expulsion papers.

Any time and money JD puts into those two players in order to prove he was right, is not only wasted effort, but it will be a disastrous impediment to forward progress.

I have strong feeling that Mr. "I WILL BREAK YOU LIKE PRETZEL" will go down with the ship rather than come to terms with the fact that he flushed two first round draft picks down the pipe. 

29 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I predict the former.

It's going to be the feel good story of 2023.  Becton losses 150 pounds and instead of continuing his football career wins dancing with the stars and opens a string of Fred Astaire dance studios.  

• Haha 1

all i am going to say is that Becton was never bad on the field (its almost like that matters), and i am not holding injuries against the man. its sad that most people here are forming opinions based on media nonsense from beat guys with an agenda to generate clicks.

i think the jets need to have depth at all positions, but i expect Becton to come back and be good like he always has been when ON THE FIELD.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Bronx said:

Becton will be a backup to a healthy Max.

There's a good chance Orlando Brown hits the market. We sign him to play right Tackle. Draft a LT Then Mitchell and Brown could be our swing tackles  or Brown can start the season as the LT until they feel the rook is ready That my dream scenario. Along with us signing Daulton Risner to play LG. Tomlinson has been a bust

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If the Jets draft a LT and C with their first two picks, the line will be set with AVT and Becton returning with Max as insurance. Just need to cut Tomlinson and sign Wes Schweitzer, Dalton Risner or Nate Davis to take his spot.

i prefer to keep Tomlinson, or go the FA route. 3 top 13 picks on the line is a bit rich for me.

12 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If the Jets draft a LT and C with their first two picks, the line will be set with AVT and Becton returning with Max as insurance. Just need to cut Tomlinson and sign Wes Schweitzer, Dalton Risner or Nate Davis to take his spot.

Just make sure to clarify that you mean the center won't be drafted with pick #13

@Sperm Edwards

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

last known photo of Becton from December. looks like he would break you like a pretzel tbh

I was encouraged by this photo but the concern for this guy is what he does on his own time from now until OTA's when no one else is holding him accountable.

He wasn't in shape at OTA's this year.  He was dying out there b/c he was heavy and his Cardio was terrible. I strongly believe his injury this year was due to this.

Even if it's not his fault the man has started and finished 8 games in 3 years.  He is a complete wildcard.  There is no one I was more excited about after his rookie year.  A healthy and motivated Becton completely changes the offense.  He is the #1 guy I can't wait to see next year but I'm not expecting anything from him. 

34 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

the fallacy of Becton showing up for camp out of shape truly amazes me. It is an example of a falsehood becoming accepted by people just because they read some jamoke's post on the internet.

I do hope that Mekhi opts for a knee brace on his twice injured knee. Frankly, I'd prefer if all of our O linemen wore knee braces on both knees.

From people who played college football in the trenches who live in my house; problem with the knee brace is it limits lateral mobility. There are NFL OL guys who use it, but for a LT that needs to deal with a fast as a cat edge guys, not ideal.