Saleh - "We'll definitely hire a senior offensive assistant"

28 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Listening to the press conference I am not sure LaFleur staying is a done deal. I think Saleh wants that and he has a plan with a "senior assistant" but I am thinking he will still need to convince Woody and not sure that has happened yet

If Woody truly believes in Zach, it would be impossible to convince him MLF is the guy. To be honest, Wilson is worse today than he was on draft day. That falls on the OC and his staff. I think he’s a goner. However, Saleh did say that Woody asked a bunch of questions and wanted answers, but has always been supportive of the decisions that he and JD make.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Absolutely—Saleh is a vibes guy and he eliminated the dude who was upsetting the vibes. The whole org went out of its way to protect Zach’s feelings and moderate his insecurities. It stands to reason Cavanaugh wasn’t into that hippie sh*t. He played QB under Bill Walsh, Buddy Ryan, and Bill Parcells. Each of those guys would have gutted Zach Wilson. 

I think the person Saleh wants to protect most is Saleh. He intentionally surrounded himself with no-name first timers so he wouldn’t be challenged. I think they believe Kubiak is a semi-retired dude who will hang out and sip decaf while collecting a paycheck

Saleh’s concerned with getting his house built. Why upset that apple cart with added stress at the office. I kid, but not really. It does appear to be like this a bit and he’s playing us all. His contract is fully guaranteed. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Absolutely—Saleh is a vibes guy and he eliminated the dude who was upsetting the vibes. The whole org went out of its way to protect Zach’s feelings and moderate his insecurities. It stands to reason Cavanaugh wasn’t into that hippie sh*t. He played QB under Bill Walsh, Buddy Ryan, and Bill Parcells. Each of those guys would have gutted Zach Wilson. 

I think the person Saleh wants to protect most is Saleh. He intentionally surrounded himself with no-name first timers so he wouldn’t be challenged. I think they believe Kubiak is a semi-retired dude who will hang out and sip decaf while collecting a paycheck

Saleh will make the minimal changes on his coaching staff that are required for him to keep his job and attempt to demonstrate that he understands that coaching is a problem.  

Privately he and MLF continue to believe that 1) the return of all the injured starters, 2) the addition of an experienced qb and 3) another good offseason, will matter much more than any coaching changes. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Saleh is basically saying he’s going to make the minimal amount of changes necessary to keep his job, and hope that 1) the return of everyone from injury, 2) another good draft and hopefully FA, and 3) the veteran qb they grossly overpay, will in aggregate make the offense and MLF look much better

All of this is correct, and it's a recipe for a team that, at best, wins 8-10 games and lingers around that type of mediocrity for the foreseeable future. Contending for a Super Bowl is a pipe dream with these guys.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It would seem that tailoring a coaching staff to protect the brittle feelings of your weak-fish young quarterback was a mistake.

You are all misinterpreting Saleh's statement.  Quiet the room means fewer people telling the QBs what to do, not less coaching.  Fewer voices so he/they didn't have 3-4 different people coaching them.  The biggest loss for the team was Knapp, but when it happened, nobody here wanted to talk about it.  It was "too soon" and "this isn't about football" like there was a mass shooting or something. The Knapp family does not (likely) read this board.  Knapp's death days before training camp was the single worst thing to happen to this team in the past two years and you can't just replace someone like that.  I'm not sure Wilson would be a starting NFL QB with a different coach, but Knapp would have helped everybody.  Knapp was the reason Steve Young was endorsing the Jets for Wilson.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, JetPotato said:

All of this is correct, and it's a recipe for a team that, at best, wins 8-9 games and lingers around this type of mediocrity for the foreseeable future. Contending for a Super Bowl is a pipe dream with these guys.

The coaches are in denial.  We saw it when saleh blamed everything on wilson.  It’s never the coaches.  It’s the injuries, it’s the crappy qb everyone on the team hates.  It’s not the red zone failures, not the team’s inability to score in the first quarter, not the defense’s propensity to give up tds on the first drive every game, not the predictable play calling.  

In theory, if you give this team a healthy avt/becton and breece that is nuclear firepower for the run game.  And if you add a veteran qb, yeah, you should win more games.  

I haven’t listened to these pressers but I’m curious, is saleh or his staff admitting they sucked down the stretch?

• Post of the Week 4

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Saleh’s concerned with getting his house built. Why upset that apple cart with added stress at the office. I kid, but not really. It does appear to be like this a bit and he’s playing us all. His contract is fully guaranteed. 

I was thinking about this the other day, but with Mike McDaniel and Saleh: why wouldn’t they want to get fired? They cashed in, they’re made men in the league, and they’re both in dead-end situations (presuming Tua is done). They can go get a million per to be coordinators in primo spots and never have to answer a hard question from a reporter again. Show up to work, scribble a few plays, cash checks, as opposed to getting screamed at every week by loser owners and idiot fans.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Saleh will make the minimal changes on his coaching staff that are required for him to keep his job and attempt to demonstrate that he understands that coaching is a problem.  

Privately he and MLF continue to believe that 1) the return of all the injured starters, 2) the addition of an experienced qb and 3) another good offseason, will matter much more than any coaching changes. 

Well, Saleh has offered two clues the past few days: 1. He’s adding a veteran coach (which implies LaFleur is safe) and 2. He’s adding a solid, veteran QB. Those answers in combination seem to suggest that they think their problem is that Zach sucks, Mike White got hurt, and Joe Flacco is Joe Flacco. They add Kubiak and Garoppolo and that’s probably good enough to stat employed and stay in the playoff hunt next year

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Saleh said he didn’t replace Knapp because he wanted to “quiet the room”

Seriously, what does that mean?

The entire offense has been quiet for 2 seasons

“It’s kind of like reset, but not reset, but quiet” :rl: 

saleh is so well spoken. If we don’t know wtf he’s talking about how do you think the players feel?

4 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You are all misinterpreting Saleh's statement.  Quiet the room means fewer people telling the QBs what to do, not less coaching.  Fewer voices so he/they didn't have 3-4 different people coaching them.  The biggest loss for the team was Knapp, but when it happened, nobody here wanted to talk about it.  It was "too soon" and "this isn't about football" like there was a mass shooting or something. The Knapp family does not (likely) read this board.  Knapp's death days before training camp was the single worst thing to happen to this team in the past two years and you can't just replace someone like that.  I'm not sure Wilson would be a starting NFL QB with a different coach, but Knapp would have helped everybody.  Knapp was the reason Steve Young was endorsing the Jets for Wilson.  

RIP Greg Knapp, but what the **** has Greg Knapp done in the last 30 years to make anyone think he would have made an appreciable difference here?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

I was thinking about this the other day, but with Mike McDaniel and Saleh: why wouldn’t they want to get fired? They cashed in, they’re made men in the league, and they’re both in dead-end situations (presuming Tua is done). They can go get a million per to be coordinators in primo spots and never have to answer a hard question from a reporter again. Show up to work, scribble a few plays, cash checks, as opposed to getting screamed at every week by loser owners and idiot fans.

Well, Saleh has offered two clues the past few days: 1. He’s adding a veteran coach (which implies LaFleur is safe) and 2. He’s adding a solid, veteran QB. Those answers in combination seem to suggest that they think their problem is that Zach sucks, Mike White got hurt, and Joe Flacco is Joe Flacco. They add Kubiak and Garoppolo and that’s probably good enough to stat employed and stay in the playoff hunt next year

In theory if you add a healthy becton, avt and breece to this offense along with a veteran qb you have a huge upgrade.  The run game should work, esp if they finally use ruckert who seems like a beast.  With 2 new OL, a new qb, hall and ruckert that’s half your offense replaced.  

I do think there’s some denial at play and definitely not nearly enough accountability, if only for relying on wilson to elevate his game so quickly when they saw over the past 2 years he couldn’t.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

RIP Greg Knapp, but what the **** has Greg Knapp done in the last 30 years to make anyone think he would have made an appreciable difference here?

It’s also alarming that they drafted wilson with the caveat that there was only 1 guy in the universe who could coach him

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

https://nypost.com/2022/07/10/jets-coach-robert-saleh-finds-escape-in-his-golf-obsession/amp/
“My goal is to get to 1,000 courses,’’ Saleh said. “I’m in the 400s somewhere now.’’ 

So, what’s next in golf for a guy who’s already played Pine Valley, Cypress Point, Shinnecock Hills, National and a number of other most top-rated courses in the world and broke 70 while playing with his oldest son? 

“I just enjoy playing,’’ Saleh said. “I really don’t have a goal.’’ 

Pause. 

Obviously, Augusta would be nice,’’ he went on. “But I feel like we’ve got to win around here first to be able to do that. Just being in New York and having the privilege to interact with fans and season-ticket holders … this place is going to go nuts when we flip it. It’s going to be cool.’’ 

C0523203-FFE1-44B8-AD8C-28F7C7985316.gif

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

I think this is a good move. People also wanted to fire Ulbrich until his defense was top 5. Saleh did a great job recognizing the weak points there and fixing them in tandem with Joe Douglas. I expect a massive jump from the offense with a new QB next year

I hope you are right.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

wtf....it seems like saleh wants to coddle these guys. says wilson should just go read a book. wants to "quiet" the qb room. wtf is next you gonna rub baby lotion on the kid and sing him lullabies? 

I think that a good way to "quiet" the QB room, is to put up padding around all the walls and ceiling of the room.  Like when you go into a phycho ward, and they put crazy people in padded rooms so that the patients can't hurt themselves.  This way, the room can be nice and quiet.

• More Ugh 1

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

In theory if you add a healthy becton, avt and breece to this offense along with a veteran qb you have a huge upgrade.  The run game should work, esp if they finally use ruckert who seems like a beast.  With 2 new OL, a new qb, hall and ruckert that’s half your offense replaced.  

I do think there’s some denial at play and definitely not nearly enough accountability, if only for relying on wilson to elevate his game so quickly when they saw over the past 2 years he couldn’t.  

Have you seen the designs of the run plays? They take for ever to develop and there is always a free defender running unabated to the ball carrier. It's like they design plays on their electric football game or something.

Nostradamus I believe did make a reference to Saleh third season. It was inaccurately thought to be WW3 and the destruction of the world. When experts broke it down, a revolt by a large population of extremist overthrew the Green government and a boy faced man who refused to relinquish his leadership role was banished never to be seen again.

1 minute ago, SCRUNO said:

How long are we going to be using the Greg Knapp excuse. For f*cks sake!

They’re admitting they had no idea how to develop wilson.  MLF wants to game plan.  That’s why Wilson’s fundamentals have regressed.  They drafted a qb knowing there was one guy who could help him 

• Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I get the bad vibes but have you actually looked at his background?

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

They worked with breece. 

That’s before the league found out and started run blitzing the jets on first down daring them to throw. Even after avt and breece got hurt we were still able to run the ball until the Bills game.

• Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He's been playing us all for a fool since the day he arrived. 

He had the audacity to call out Jets fans last year, saying "this is the first time this fanbase has experienced something like this...an actual plan" (like the Jets fans have never seen a rebuild before).

In Robert's mind, the Jets fans are too impatient, too urgent in wanting to win games when we should all be like him, sage-like and patient, basking in the after-glow of our time with the fabled San Francisco 49ers, content in the knowledge that everything will 'awesome when it eventually gets flipped'. 

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2021/11/22/saleh-insists-jets-rebuild-is-different-an-actual-plan/49421861/

You can buy yourself a lot of time if you only keep preaching about the future, following the process, and never having to set goals other than wanting to "go to bed better than when we woke up".

• Upvote 2