NFL Insider breaks down how Jets can land Rodgers

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

His contract is why the trade cost will be far lower than the media is reporting.  

You’d still be on the hook for 50M per for a mercurial guy who’s one bad haircut away from retirement (or threatening retirement or holdout or demanding Randall Cobb be signed or whatever) and at his age, the cliff could come at any time 

The decline has arguably already started

Just in football terms, if you’re asking whether I’d want Rodgers or Zach Wilson as the ‘23 QB, obviously that’s a no brainer

But it’s not that simple 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

60M payout in ‘23 for a 40-year old QB is absurd

The only guys I would even consider at that cost is Mahomes or Burrow, and that’s obviously not happening

Let another team be a sucker and bail out the Packers

Rodgers at this point is a guy who won’t do OTAs and you’d be lucky if he shows up to camp on time 

He has zero chemistry with any WRs on the Jets and his game is entirely based on timing and anticipation and him being able to rely on his WRs to run exactly what he’s expecting in his mind, whatever that is

Knowing the Jets luck, they’d swoop in and give up 3 firsts or something stupid like that and Rodgers would either retire during training camp or after going 1 and done in the playoffs  

The $60m would be spread over 2 years. I think it's like $15m 2023 and like $45m in 2024 but that would be dead cap.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Rodgers = Home Run Move + 2024 punt

Jackson = Home Run Move + handcuff

Carr = Long term + maybe develop a QB under less pressure

Garoppolo = Steady eddy but want to see Zach again

You had me until the Z word 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, JiFields said:

Rodgers = Super Bowl expectations for 2 years

Jackson = sustained winning franchise w/ yearly playoff/Super Bowl aspirations

Carr = battle for a playoff spot and maybe if everything goes right, get in and win a game

Garoppolo = better have a good back up

Rodgers has benefited from being on mostly good teams in a bad division since 2009.  He has been to the Super Bowl exactly once.  

He doesn’t play well when his team has to come from behind, and as soon as a couple of things go wrong he pouts and points a finger at everyone but himself.  

He would join a strong division in the AFCE and have to go through Burrow, Mahomes and Allen.  I would not have “SB expectations” with him because it is a guarantee he would have to win a couple of games when things aren’t always going according to plan.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

45 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

60M payout in ‘23 for a 40-year old QB is absurd

The only guys I would even consider at that cost is Mahomes or Burrow, and that’s obviously not happening

Let another team be a sucker and bail out the Packers

Rodgers at this point is a guy who won’t do OTAs and you’d be lucky if he shows up to camp on time 

He has zero chemistry with any WRs on the Jets and his game is entirely based on timing and anticipation and him being able to rely on his WRs to run exactly what he’s expecting in his mind, whatever that is

Knowing the Jets luck, they’d swoop in and give up 3 firsts or something stupid like that and Rodgers would either retire during training camp or after going 1 and done in the playoffs  

And he’d want that fur coat thrown in as well

15 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

And he’d want that fur coat thrown in as well

Yeah, and just wait til Rodgers rolls into to camp at his first presser and puts Joe Douglas on blast for not having acquired Randall Cobb.

Rodgers' personality doesn't even bother me.

It's just hard to imagine it working out.  If you do that, you have to win it all in '23 or '24 (under the constraints of severe cap limitations because of his contract) before Rodger's arm falls off.

Woody doesn't have the cajones to go all in on Rodgers for a 2-year push to a title (like Tampa did with Brady/Rams did with Stafford, etc).  I'm curious to see what Jerry Jones does since he's 80 years old and he has to realize he's never going to get by the Eagles with McCarthy and Prescott...

• Upvote 1

ok so, some fact-checking.

Spotrac says Rodgers' cap hit would be 31.6 M in '23.  That's fine.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

But LOL if the Packers were to cut him in the offseason, his dead cap charge would be an absolute joke:  100M  ($99,778,568)

The real issues loom in '24 and '25 with the gargantuan cap hits (40.7M and 59.3M) and potential dead cap (24.48 M and 16.32 M) if he falls off a cliff at any point between now and then.

Brady is the ultimate anomaly, and even he finally looks washed at 45.  Rodgers turns 40 in December.

The odds of him regaining / sustaining anything close to his MVP form in '23 and beyond are slim to none.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Rodgers has benefited from being on mostly good teams in a bad division since 2009.  He has been to the Super Bowl exactly once.  

He doesn’t play well when his team has to come from behind, and as soon as a couple of things go wrong he pouts and points fingers at everyone but himself.  

He would join a strong division in the AFCE and have to go through Burrow, Mahomes and Allen.  I would not have “SB expectations” with him because it is a guarantee he would have to win a couple of games when things aren’t always going according to plan.

He also doesn’t like to do off season work anymore so imagine him trying to learn a new offense and get used to new receivers in 5 weeks of training camp. It’s a recipe for disaster. 

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

He doesn’t play well when his team has to come from behind, and as soon as a couple of things go wrong he pouts and points fingers at everyone but himself.  

All true, you still have Super Bowl expectations when you sign a future HOF'er in an offseason, kind of goes without saying, especially to a team w/ a top 5 D and seemingly some solid young skills players that is only "average QB play away". 

7 minutes ago, docdhc said:

He also doesn’t like to do off season work anymore so imagine him trying to learn a new offense and get used to new receivers in 5 weeks of training camp. It’s a recipe for disaster. 

I would guess him and Hackett would be a package deal.