Would You Be Willing to Write-Off ‘25-‘27 Season for a ‘23-‘24 SB Ring with Aaron?

32EBoozer

Do You Do The Deal With the devil?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. 54 Years Long Enough & Want to See Before I Die!

• Yes. Whatever the Cost
    • No. I Want Sustainable Success. Even if We Need to Wait

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

These guys, apparently!

025E1255-F7B1-40E7-8A50-6EBFF625DF57.png

Come at me bro ?

I'd like to enjoy much more than one year of good football or I'd like to enjoy no good years of football. None of this one good year for me to remember fondly bull****.

Bunch of old guys scared to die without holding their old ring one last time.

mad lord of the rings GIF

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

'23: $15m

'24: $32m

'25: Retires $60m dead cap hit

I feel like we can plan for a $60m hit if we have 3 years to know its coming.

60 Mil for someone not playing the year they cost that much is a pretty s**tty poison pill.

Good news is its only 60 mil if he plays that year. The dead cap hit is $16+ mil for 2025 and $8+ mil for 2026 if he retires both would hit the books in '25. So to my limited knowledge its a 2025 cap hit of ~$60 mil if he played and ~$25 mil if he retires.

It would be much worse if he retired in '24 in which case we'd have nearly a $50 mil dead cap hit.

Screenshot_20230126-163735_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a44e53cf6e9f4e59a7eec7c20427c145.jpg

20 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Come at me bro ?

I'd like to enjoy much more than one year of good football or I'd like to enjoy no good years of football. None of this one good year for me to remember fondly bull****.

Why would winning 1 ring in 2024 restrict the Jets from ever being any good ever again?

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

We are worse than the Browns, have been since 2018, and probably will be going forward.

Say what you will about Watson and his off field issue, but he’s the kind of QB we dream about.

@Jet Nut don’t leave me hanging with a “doh” reaction here. LOL

I’m curious.. What was it about the above post that made you react that way?

6 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

@Jet Nut don’t leave me hanging with a “doh” reaction here. LOL

I’m curious.. What was it about the above post that made you react that way?

The Browns since coming back to Cleveland have been are worse than the Jets.  
Think they’ve made the playoffs twice since they came back in 1999 with all of one win. 

Not much to brag about, I do agree with that 

57 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

We are worse than the Browns, have been since 2018, and probably will be going forward.

Say what you will about Watson and his off field issue, but he’s the kind of QB we dream about.

1.  Definitely weren’t worse than them last year.

2.  I would choose being a Jets fan a million times before ever rooting for a team that did what they did with Watson.  The day the Jets employ a serial rapist (I said what I said) is the day that I, genuinely, become a Patriots fan.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The Browns since coming back to Cleveland have been are worse than the Jets.  
Think they’ve made the playoffs twice since they came back in 1999 with all of one win. 

Not much to brag about, I do agree with that 

My post said they’ve been the better team since 2018 though. I never said anything about the years prior.

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

1.  Definitely weren’t worse than them last year.

2.  I would choose being a Jets fan a million times before ever rooting for a team that did what they did with Watson.  The day the Jets employ a serial rapist (I said what I said) is the day that I, genuinely, become a Patriots fan.

1. Debatable (but fair. They didn’t have Watson until the end of the year, but we didn’t have a QB either) I’m going on the won loss record however, so I call them even.

2. I know how you feel about Watson (and I agree) that’s why I made a point of saying other than his off field issue…

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

My post said they’ve been the better team since 2018 though. I never said anything about the years prior.

The start of all of this didn’t include a date limiting it but ok, one playoff trip to none.  I’ll take last years Jet team over the 22 Browns

I voted Yes, because I think we could win the ring with Aaron Rogers with this excellent young roster AND have sustained success post Rogers with Zack Wilson having learned and watch how it's done for two years.

One benefit is instead of having to gut our roster to continue paying huge bucks to the QB positions, we'd actually have MORE cap with ZW just starting (over) his career here. He'd get less than half of what Ol Man Rogers was demanding, which will be important with Becton and AVT and Garrett and Sauce and Breece all needing to get paid right about then.

If this plan works.....BRILLIANT!

1 hour ago, Alworth said:

I'm 73 years old and have been following the NFL since seeing the '55 Championship game (Browns/Rams) on TV, Yet  I DON"T want to go the superstar traveling mercenary route to the extreme represented by an A-Rod signing. And for me, in the current NFL, QB play is boring--sticky gloves for the receivers, permissible intentional grounding outside of the pocket, etc. For me, the passing game is for the most part  not much more interesting than watching kicked extra points. I like to appreciate what the other 21 guys on the field are all about. (I don't care that it's a QB driven-league),

I understand your point and agree, another reason why the Rex years were so heart-breaking.  Winning through defense and ground-n-pound is all I want.

That being said, it is becoming unrealistic.  A QB like Rodgers comes here, and every single player on the team gets better.  Especially considering this franchise's destitute history at QB.  Success washes everything away.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Miss read. 

For a guaranteed ring, sure.   For a afc championship game loss and years of crap, nah.

The sad thing is this is the likely optimistic scenario. I foresee a lot of buyers remorse, just hopefully not Broncos-Russ level buyers remorse.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why would winning 1 ring in 2024 restrict the Jets from ever being any good ever again?

Well winning in '69 did so I'm just going off of what I know?.

According to this hypothetical we'd have to suck for 3 years. That sucking for 3 years probably gets everyone fired and leads to us sucking for another 10 years... so ya know if we're playing hypotheticals its hypothetically 13 years of sucking which turns into 23 and then we're just like the old gaurd around here clamoring for a 40 year merc qb to come save us in 2046.

I don't get it. I must be missing something. I can't for the life or me figure out how anyone could think trading for a half washed up, once great, head case is a good idea. This team has finally started to have some success again after a decade of horrible GMs who made horrible decisions. I honestly can't fathom how anyone thinks that Rodgers (Aaron Rodgers of TODAY) makes this a superbowl team. You could put Mahomes or Allen on this team next year and you're not making a superbowl with this with this roster. This would be the Favre mess x100000. At least with Favre they didn't trade away their future for a 1 year rental of the highest (or one of the top) paid players in the league who, btw, has been talking about retirement for the past 3 years. 

The Broncos set their franchise back 3-5 years with this move and you could make the argument they had a more talented roster when they made that trade. This isn't Peyton Manning/Broncos or Tom Brady/Bucs free agency moves. This is mortgaging your future for a once great, total head case QB on a team with VERY little top tier talent.

2023 Rodgers does not get THIS NYJ team anywhere near a Superbowl and would be an absolute disaster. 

• Upvote 3

I've never understood the mentality of Superbowl at all costs. The hypothetical is silly because none of this could be guaranteed but if it's a choice between one Superbowl + 10 years of suck or 10 years of consistently being contenders I'd choose the latter every time. 

It would be amazing to see the Jets win the SB obviously but it wouldn't make the future Sundays of sucking much less miserable. Sport is just a form of entertainment at the end of the day. I want to have a reason to watch the Jets and get some satisfaction out of it consistently rather than get one high point followed by more of the same garbage. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Come at me bro ?

50 years of watching the Jets and you’ll look forward to death.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Alworth said:

I'm 73 years old and have been following the NFL since seeing the '55 Championship game (Browns/Rams) on TV, Yet  I DON"T want to go the superstar traveling mercenary route to the extreme represented by an A-Rod signing. And for me, in the current NFL, QB play is boring--sticky gloves for the receivers, permissible intentional grounding outside of the pocket, etc. For me, the passing game is for the most part  not much more interesting than watching kicked extra points. I like to appreciate what the other 21 guys on the field are all about. (I don't care that it's a QB driven-league),

With all due respect, I'm 50 years old and have never seen the Jets play in the SuperBowl.

My father is 76, and I still hold out hope we can see the Jets win the big one together.

We are running out of seasons to have that happen.

I'll take a Lombardy Trophy right now please. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

This isn't Peyton Manning/Broncos or Tom Brady/Bucs free agency moves. This is mortgaging your future for a once great, total head case QB on a team with VERY little top tier talent.

Tampa Bay went 5-11, 5-11 and 7-9.

And then they signed 43 year old Tom Brady.

Guess what happened next?

22 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Tampa Bay went 5-11, 5-11 and 7-9.

And then they signed 43 year old Tom Brady.

Guess what happened next?

Yup. Same with the Broncos who took a chance on an old QB who just underwent neck surgery that kept him out the year prior. 

Broncos went 8-8, 4-12, 8-8. 

They sign Manning and become consistent Super Bowl contenders, winning 1, the next 4 years. 

Before I looked at the results of the poll I figured is would be close but in favor.  I'm shocked to see is 80% for 20% against.  Don't you all know that children who opt for instant gratification are less successful in later life?

80%. I'm speechless ( clearly a no here).  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2