I want the Jets next QB to be...

Maxman

I want the Jets next QB to be...  

195 members have voted

1. 1. I want the Jets next QB to be...

8 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Who then?

Minshew, Trubisky, Mike White? … please don’t say Zach unless you’re down to tank for a guy in ‘24 ( which I’d be okay with)

I would get a 1 or 2 year guy like Minshew or Winston, and draft at least one QB in the draft. I am not one of the 'SB or bust' fans seem to be. I see what I can get for Zach, but would probably keep him. The offensive staff we brought in is more of the same and that is not what Zach needs or fits it seems but maybe he responds to new coaching. In my opinion, LaFleur is the worst OC we have ever had. I am not re-signing Mike White. I would rather spend draft picks on a QB if we find one we love than on the horrible idea of Rodgers or Lamar. We really should be trying to develop Zach but they seem to have no real plan for that.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

A lot of people will think you’re crazy for saying that, but really the only reason to argue against it is fear of him always being injured. Yet a lot of people want Jimmy G, which just doesn’t make sense to me.

Yep at some point the Jets have to stop being the fools who over pay for the shiny toy with a bad engine.

They have stumbled but I would rather die trying

19 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I voted AR but if Carr can be THE GUY, I'd be all for it. The ZW experiment goes out the window and we have our FQB for the next 4-5 years. Also allows JD to construct the contract in a way that when QW, AVT, GW are due extensions, we can fit them easily into our cap.

Rodgers has the most upside but Carr has the most long-term upside because he could be here for years.

One thing that would be fun with Carr is all the minicamp reports. We would be going buts at reports on Carr being perfect in this offense blah blah blah.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Best available QB is Rodgers so that's who we should go after. Douglas has opened a window if we have QB. You can't waste those opportunities. 

He opens it and closes it, to an extent.  You stay the course and your window probably doesn't open up for another year, but it should be open for quite some time assuming you either salvage Zach or you hit on his replacement(Williams, Maye, etc).  You go for Rodgers and your window is two years.  After that you're stuck with his dead cap, you haven't had a 1st in two years, and you're probably stuck with other expensive UFAs that you obtained to make up for your lack of top picks.  We'll most likely lose at least 2 of our young core.  Probably end up rebuilding again shortly after, or we get stuck in a long stretch of mediocrity.  

I think Carr is the best bet for a long-term window.  You'll get maybe 5 years of legit Super Bowl aspirations.  IMO Carr + two 1sts >>> 2 years of Rodgers.  It's really not that close either.  

Personally I would choose Tannehill and then either Zach or a '24 drafted QB, but I get that I'm in the extreme minority there.  

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I selected Lamar Jackson, despite the fact that he is unlikely to be available, so my realistic answer would be Rodgers.  That being said, if we can land young franchise QB, who is a former league MVP, I’ll take that every single time.

only reason I didn't is because his situation is too cloudy atm.

for me, its Rodgers, Carr or Lamar (likely, not knowing what Balt is gonna do)

then its really a who really cares. Re-sign White to back-up deal and go get a guy to compete with him, not named Tannehill, could be a rookie if a guy falls, but not a top pick . 

hope you catch lightning in a bottle if you miss on the top guys or bust. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

He opens it and closes it, to an extent.  You stay the course and your window probably doesn't open up for another year, but it should be open for quite some time assuming you either salvage Zach or you hit on his replacement(Williams, Maye, etc).  You go for Rodgers and your window is two years.  After that you're stuck with his dead cap, you haven't had a 1st in two years, and you're probably stuck with other expensive UFAs that you obtained to make up for your lack of top picks.  We'll most likely lose at least 2 of our young core.  Probably end up rebuilding again shortly after, or we get stuck in a long stretch of mediocrity.  

I think Carr is the best bet for a long-term window.  You'll get maybe 5 years of legit Super Bowl aspirations.  IMO Carr + two 1sts >>> 2 years of Rodgers.  It's really not that close either.  

Personally I would choose Tannehill and then either Zach or a '24 drafted QB, but I get that I'm in the extreme minority there.  

don't think it takes 2 first rd picks to get Rodgers 1 first probably on a condition for a second season.

also you get Rodgers, JD will know that he needs to be looking for another option after the 2nd year, he would re-structure the deal in a way that doesn't screw us. 

9 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I'll take Carr first, for exactly that reason.  You have a QB for 5-6 years.  Otherwise, it's a 2 year window with a huge cap hit at the end.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Derrick Carr - Quality of QB, cost to obtain, stability, age, desire to win.

Aaron Rodgers - Gamble, highest upside, not good stability, cost to obtain.

Ryan Tannehill - only if cut. decent QB, fall back.

Jimmie Garapollo - Injury risk, not that great of a QB, looked better than he is on a stacked team.

Lamar Jackson - Not going to happen not worth talking about.

Baker Mayfield - Laughable choice there are at least a half dozen better jags out there.

T0m Shane - At least he's an upgrade over Mike White.

• Haha 3

I voted Carr. i think he is under rated by some on this board. He is probably worth 30 mil but will get 40 mil

I would prefer Rodgers but anything more than 2x 3 round pics would be too much for a 1 or 2 year rental. only way the 2024 3rd round turns into a 1st would have to involve a SB

Jackson wont be available

Jimmy G is made of glass

Tannehill is old and would cost a pick

If all else fails Baker

Tom couldn't handle the NY media and i heard he doesn't play well under 37 degrees

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

45 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It is. Watch what happens when we have an offense that doesn't go 3 and out all game and we actually play with a lead. Defense gets to be in more passing situations will create more turnovers because the other team will be forced to press.

Last year teams had the luxury of being really patient on offense.

What kind of Offense will they be running? I'm not sure that Hackett is a system OC. He was Doug Marrone's boy in Buffalo and Jax, then "ran" MaLF's O in GB, and quite frankly I am unsure of what the Offensive system or philosophy was in Denver this past season.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I voted for Rodgers but I am coming around on Carr. His showcase at the pro bowl skills competition sold me.  :)

Seriously though in some ways Carr is more exciting because the team keeps all their draft picks and he is young.

The two years with Rodgers thing and hope Zach matures scares me.

Carr is an investment in fixing the problem.

Rodgers to Zach is a fairy tale that ultimately kicks the Zach can down the road… all while paying a ton for a guy that couldn’t make the playoffs with GB, a better franchise than the jets, in a weak division. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It is. Watch what happens when we have an offense that doesn't go 3 and out all game and we actually play with a lead. Defense gets to be in more passing situations will create more turnovers because the other team will be forced to press.

Last year teams had the luxury of being really patient on offense.

Perhaps we should watch what happens when our defense doesn't face second and third string QBs for the bulk of the season.  I like this D, but I think this board is overrating it by a pretty fair margin.  Rodgers and Allen (1-1) are the only two starters they beat.   They gave up 30 points to Jacoby Brissett and lost games to Geno, Goff, Lawrence, and Mac Jones.  I will give them a break on the losses to Skyler and the second Mac Jones game because the O should score more than 10 points.  Excuse me if I am not celebrating holding Trevor Siemien down or giving up 20 to the combo of Mitch Trubisky and Kenny Pickett.  I think the teams being "really patient on offense" statistically helped this defense.   

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Nobody wants to admit he took a step backwards.

At the same time if he becomes available that's going to be part of the reason.  If we want to blame his lack of playmakers and losing his #1 wideout to the Raiders its pretty easy to delude yourself into thinking he will come to the Jets and kill it with our offense. Likely won't come, more than likely if he does come he locks himself in his locker before the third game screaming,"The dark is my friend, the dark is my friend!"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I haven't watched him enough to tell.  I have too many Ravens fan friends that have poisoned me against the idea.  I am also allergic to throwing a ton of money and picks at one player, so I don't really like any big splash sh*t. 

Agree with this. JD has built a talented roster which can lead to sustained success. To throw big money and draft picks at one player could be a recipe for disaster. 
I’ve stated before and still believe that competent QB play can take this team deep into the playoffs. The list compiled after Rodgers & Carr although underwhelming is better than anyone that is on the team now.

Build a powerhouse team which can be accomplished after another strong draft this year , then JD will be able to throw premium draft picks to move on a young QB in the draft or premium free agent 

2 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Agree with this. JD has built a talented roster which can lead to sustained success. To throw big money and draft picks at one player could be a recipe for disaster. 
I’ve stated before and still believe that competent QB play can take this team deep into the playoffs. The list compiled after Rodgers & Carr although underwhelming is better than anyone that is on the team now.

Build a powerhouse team which can be accomplished after another strong draft this year , then JD will be able to throw premium draft picks to move on a young QB in the draft or premium free agent 

I think putting pressure on a young QB can be a big much.   Zach Wilson seems to have cracked.  Sanchez floated up there for a bit and then crashed.  I prefer the idea of a mid-level guy and a draft pick that isn't seen as the savior.  If the draft pick is lightyears ahead roll with him (Russell Wilson), if not let Tannehill or whatever other sh*thead play.  Remember Wilson's rookie year they had let Flacco run off to Philly - where he played that role for Hurts.  It was between White, Morgan and Wilson and Wilson would automatically have been considered a flop if he didn't start week 1.