Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

11 minutes ago, football guy said:

So Aaron has been talking to DeAndre Hopkins... 

where’s he going to fit? Wilson #1 Dhop #2 Moore in the slot and the new 11 mil wr Lazard as #4. Mims is still on the team too and a wr 5 who doesn’t play st doesn’t make sense. This is why I just don’t get the Lazard signing 

4 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

It's all coming together now.

The Jets have all the leverage which is why they are dragging it out.  The Packers take a HUGE cap hit unless Rodgers retires or is traded.  He's not retiring.

The Packers are holding out for a first round pick, but the Jets aren't budging.  In time, the Packers will have no choice but to accept the biggest trade offer on the table.  At this point, the only real concern is another team jumping into the mix and making a strong push for Rodgers.

He’d have to want to play there. Of the teams needing QBs, who can come close to offering what we can. We are running a system he knows, with a coach that he loves, with a top 10 defense. I don’t really see how anyone else can jump in.

• Upvote 1

As we have seen in the past, there is an initial premium priced wave of FA signings, and then players linger.

I think Plan B for the Jets will be around for awhile.  

I did call that it was the GB management holding out to save face which was the obstacle here. 

Let's bring in Mayfield. 

5 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

It's all coming together now.

The Jets have all the leverage which is why they are dragging it out.  The Packers take a HUGE cap hit unless Rodgers retires or is traded.  He's not retiring.

The Packers are holding out for a first round pick, but the Jets aren't budging.  In time, the Packers will have no choice but to accept the biggest trade offer on the table.  At this point, the only real concern is another team jumping into the mix and making a strong push for Rodgers.

Not sure that is a concern as it would have to be a team Rodgers wants to play for. He still has the "I retire." eject button which screws GB.

2 minutes ago, Trotter said:

So I am going to play GM here which guarantees this will qualify as dumb ass post of the day.

Let's say the deal is a 2nd this year and a 3rd or 4th next year that can escalate.

Would you swap jets #1 this year for Packers #1 next?

Pack get 13 and I think they have 16.

Jets roll the dice that pack pick next year is not very good and should be top 10 

I just don't have any interest in giving up pick 13 without a fight.  But yes, if we're giving up 13 this year only way to soften that blow would be getting GB's 1st next year. 

Don't see GB being willing to do that though; they can't possibly be convinced Jordan Love is "the guy" just yet and he's a free agent after the season; they'll need their 1st next year to potentially enter the QB market themselves.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yes.

But will they cut their nose to spite their face?

They can’t roster build and move on until it’s done.

It's in the Packers best interest to trade Rodgers before the draft so they get additional draft picks this year.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, extmenace said:

He’d have to want to play there. Of the teams needing QBs, who can come close to offering what we can. We are running a system he knows, with a coach that he loves, with a top 10 defense. I don’t really see how anyone else can jump in.

Would he actually retire and leave $50m+ on the table to avoid playing for a team he doesn't want to play for?  It's generational money.  That's the big question.

On 3/13/2023 at 10:59 AM, Paradis said:

That's about as inaccurate an account is one could have. I feel like about 12 ppl in this thread articulated that this was really Aaron's ball, and he wanted to soak it in. The only decision being made here, is the one by him on committing to more than the next 9 months. 

200.gif

1 minute ago, CTJetsFan said:

Not sure that is a concern as it would have to be a team Rodgers wants to play for. He still has the "I retire." eject button which screws GB.

Rodgers has a no trade clause. He need only tell the packers trade me to the Jets or I show up on the first mandatory report day in Green Bay. The Packers have no choice but to trade Rodgers. JD understands this. And it is in Rodgers interest for the trade comp to be low. The only way a high pick is included is if it is a conditional pick in 2024 based on the Jets winning the SB with ACR under center.

The Packers aren’t going to want to completely sour things for good between them and their greatest player.

Anyone who thinks this sh*t is going beyond another couple of days is hysterical.

It’s not dragging out until the draft and it sure as hell isn’t dragging out until June or September.

It’s going to end up being #43 and a conditional 3rd in 2024.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This just might go on a while.

But now it's not holding the Jets back in FA.  They can go to the market and tell agents and players that Rodgers is coming, they can build their cap around him coming.  

Even off-season training doesn't starts any time soon.  This is going to be a waiting game, in fact I wouldn't expect this to get done for weeks.

But if you're the Jets - who cares.

Definitely holds up packers though. They can’t make moves until Rodgers is gone. He is their starting qb until they trade him.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Would he actually retire and leave $50m+ on the table to avoid playing for a team he doesn't want to play for?  It's generational money.  That's the big question.

He's already made generational money.  He's been paid over $250 million over the course of his career without counting the endless endorsements.

By his own account, he was 90% ready to leave that money on the table when went into the darkness.  So yeah, my guess is that he would if push came to shove.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

The Packers aren’t going to want to completely sour things for good between them and their greatest player.

Anyone who thinks this sh*t is going beyond another couple of days is hysterical.

It’s not dragging out until the draft and it sure as hell isn’t dragging out until June or September.

It’s going to end up being #43 and a conditional 3rd in 2024.

Nah, the Packers aren't getting #43. They initiated going in another direction at quaterback, not Aaron Rodgers. They can have #74 and a conditional pick next year. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

By his own account, he was 90% ready to leave that money on the table when went into the darkness.  So yeah, my guess is that he would if push came to shove.

I think he was lying about retiring.  It was better to paint the picture of him being a victim and GB looking bad.

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Definitely holds up packers though. They can’t make moves until Rodgers is gone. He is their starting qb until they trade him.

Pretty sure they have a long window too - before it really affects their ability to make moves.  Ultimately, I don't think anything is coming up soon that will force either teams hand.  Not even the draft really.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I suppose they could play a game of chicken with us where both teams go into the offseason assuming he's being traded. arod could threaten to retire at any moment to screw them over though.

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Can he talk to some lineman, safeties or defensive tackles?   WR seems to be one of the strongest groups and it would be a lot of resources to that part of the team.

He's been involved in talks for all the FAs we're pursuing, at least on offense

15 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

so what’s the deal? Jets waiting till sept 1st to make a deal so they don’t blink first?

I have no idea nor am I insinuating that it suggests a deal will happen- Aaron made it pretty clear that he isn't demanding who the Jets go after. But if you listened closely to the McAfee podcast, Pat suggested that Pacman Jones knew and he said yeah because he spoke to D-Hop