Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

5 minutes ago, undertow said:

This fanbase is hysterical the Packers wanted two 1sts then the 13th but one 2nd this year and a low 2nd next year is them robbing us? lmao Bunch of clowns around here.

I said this at the outset:

They should be paying the Jets to take him off their hands.

He’s a depreciating asset whose value drops below zero to negative when he retires in 9 months and leaves you with a load of dead money on your books.

The Jets have been bad for 50+ years.

One more year of losing won’t make the fans stop going to games and paying for merch and that’s all Woody really cares about.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

A quote from a post over at packerforum.com:

"If you told me Gute spun Rodgers into say Carl Lawson, Jeremy Ruckert and say Mims on the roster this year + a 2024 1st and a 2024 3rd or 4th....maybe a Day 3 conditional in 2025 I think you gotta take it."

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

These people are looney toons..no worse that our fan on here with the ridiculous trade offers ...I forget.what. The latest example is but it's always like giving up mins to get some all star or what ever..no basis in reality 

13 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I said this at the outset:

They should be paying the Jets to take him off their hands.

He’s a depreciating asset whose value drops below zero to negative when he retires in 9 months and leaves you with a load of dead money on your books.

The Jets have been bad for 50+ years.

One more year of losing won’t make the fans stop going to games and paying for merch and that’s all Woody really cares about.

Yeah…that was never going to happen. Thats your fault for creating unrealistic expectations up in the old dome of yours.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, undertow said:

you are a buffoon. 

Interesting argument.

The Jets have the leverage and would have even more if the owner wasn’t an idiot and hadn’t laid all his cards out on the table ahead of time.

The Jets have options.  They are not all inspiring, but they are options:

— Sign Lamar, cough up the two 1sts

— Trade for Tannehill

— Trade for Trey Lance

— Sign Teddy as 1y stopgap 

— Trade for Stafford

— What good teams do, find a QB in the draft.  They could trade up to #3 if they want and take BY or Levis.

The Packers have exactly one option:

Trade AR to the Jets

There are zero other suitors 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

9 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

These people are looney toons..no worse that our fan on here with the ridiculous trade offers ...I forget.what. The latest example is but it's always like giving up mins to get some all star or what ever..no basis in reality 

I legit saw one of their fans say, start at 2 1st and after the Jets counter, settle on pick #13 and Garrett Wilson. I nearly chocked when I read that.

GB fans are going to be a little volatile for a few weeks.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ZachWilsonRightArm said:

Yeah…that was never going to happen. Thats your fault for creating unrealistic expectations up in the old dome of yours.

obviously that’s not going to happen.

Point is the Jets have leverage.

The one thing that could turn this entire thing is if Love were to get injured before a deal gets done.

In that case GB would pivot back to Rodgers and find a way to make it work.

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

I legit saw one of their fans say, start at 2 1st and after the Jets counter, settle on pick #13 and Garrett Wilson. I nearly chocked when I read that.

"Settle" for more than the opening offer? I think they need to look up the word "settle" in a dictionary. :D 

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It’s too much.

Two 2nds plus his salary for 1 year of football from a 40 year old QB who just said he was “90% retired” in his own mind?? 

You must have missed the part where we get back a draft pick if he doesn't play a 2nd year

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

It's quiet possible they are indeed waiting for certain dates or contract revisions. I've stated that previously on this board. However, I have nothing better, Jets wise, to speculate about. Which is probably why we're on page 342 and everyone is still talking about this even though it may be a simple matter of waiting. 

Waiting till when? Very little chance the Packers want to lose out on getting a draft pick this year just to wait until June 1st to save some money on this year's cap. Better to get a 2023 2nd rounder and take the hit this year

2 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

We are ranked dead last in most offense categories over the past 10 years. I’ll gladly give 2 seconds for not having to endure watching 17 games of 3 and outs and wondering what bad thing is going to happen when our qb drops back to pass. I don’t care if the guy is 40.  

^ This ^

And there are quite a few people who assume he's only going to play one more year.   He might play 3 years for all we know. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

obviously that’s not going to happen.

Point is the Jets have leverage.

The one thing that could turn this entire thing is if Love were to get injured before a deal gets done.

In that case GB would pivot back to Rodgers and find a way to make it work.

In this scenario I still think he gets traded here since Rodgers can tell GB if you don’t trade me I will retire 

• Upvote 1

A 2 this year, and a 2 next year that can potentially become a 1 based on team success is a steep price, but it's probably a fair compromise. It's more than I wanted us to pay, but less than the Packers wanted.

I think draft comp for the Jets in 2025 if Rodgers only plays one year is absolutely essential.  Two 2s (or a 2 and a 1) for a 1-year rental is too much. Even the Packers must acknowledge that.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don’t know that I’d characterize upgrading the pick to a 1st as “easy” — according to the article two examples of conditions would be: the Jets hosting a home divisional playoff game (likely means winning the division) or advancing to the AFC title game.

Hate to say it, but while I still prefer less given, plus a higher upgrade threshold,

• I have that luxury as a fan whose fandom isn’t on the line pending a contract renewal the way it is for a GM; easy for me to talk s*** as there are no career consequences;
  • The reality is the Jets haven’t looked that good in over a decade;
  • The two draft picks in successive seasons are unlikely to close that gap - particularly not this season - so if this is who they want & those are the results, grudgingly it’s probably worth it.

GB wanted two 1sts and more. They’re getting one of the Jets’ two mid-2nds this year and one likely-later 2nd a year from now, which only upgrade to a 1 if the trade effectively turns the Jets into one of the most dominant teams in the NFL.

Will also be interesting if Rodgers’s contract changes post-trade. 

No. No. No.

This isn’t the deal, and I don’t believe we went through all of the last 2 weeks for this cave in to GB trade. JD holds way too much leverage for this to be the deal. 
We still need to come out of this Draft with 4 impactful players who can contribute this season. Center, LB, DT & OT. Without a 3rd this will be difficult. With only 2 picks in the first 4 rounds…. Impossible.

JD sits tight unless it’s a 4th this year. Next year is where GB can save face if AR performs well and 2025 if he comes back next year.

Holding Mel Gibson GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Most of us are realists, I don't know anyone who thinks that...   Probably not much different than the occasional Jets fan that says: 4th rounder and a pair of used socks....

• Upvote 2

2 2's is a great deal.  extra 2 from the moore trade is like free money.

if the conditional 2 goes to a 1, hopefully it's in the high 20's.

from everything i've heard, AR is going to be significantly reworking his contract. presumably so the jets could get some more talent around him - OBJ, OL help, etc.

• Upvote 3

I like this deal as effectively the only way we give up next years 1st is if we are a very good team with a genuine shot at a Super Bowl. 

Since 2010 we’ve been forced to witness some really sh*tty teams so having a good/great team and being in that Super Bowl discussion would be great. 

Having the condition of a 2025 pick gives us that reassurance that if AR is a 1 and done we get some compensation in the future. 

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You are conflating want vs. need. They do not “need” 4 starters from this class, and it’s optimistic to expect that of any GM in any draft where the team isn’t armed with 4 high picks like last season’s Jets.

I can’t name a SB champ that started 4 rookies at T, C, DT, and LB. 

C can be filled via an older probowl veteran any day they want this week, and can groom a day 3 pick behind him with no rush to start this season. Last year’s starter is likewise still available, but the team has shown no interest in bringing him back (nor has anyone else signed him either). 

OT is an justifiably understandable desire but it’s not a desperate need, though my guess is it’s the top candidate position for the team’s #13 pick.

DT is a need. A rookie DT is not a need, however.

LB to replace Kwon isn’t a need so much as the penciled-in starter is yet-unknown to fans. I still think they add depth and quite possibly go LB in round 2, but they do not outright require a starter from this draft class. They could also re-sign Kwon, seeing how he’s available & is unlikely to be at all expensive given his injury history.

I didn’t say Starter at all for submission. I would expect center from Minnesota to start day one. They evidently love this kid. The OT @ 13 would obviously be in the rotation. and provide depth. Defensive tackle would also be put in the rotation with Thomas and JFM. Linebacker would obviously watch Kwan or Mosley And be developed.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I hate the idea that next year's pick can potentially be a #1.  Trading a #1 and a #2 seems like an awful lot.  But I have faith that if JD makes such a deal, it was because that's what really was required.  

So long as the 1 next year is dependent on our performance this year and AR playing year 2 then I don't really see a problem.

If conditions are met for it be a 1 then the year must've been a success and therefore pick will be late enough to justify.

If we have to give up pick 32 next year and AR stays another year then sign me up!!

• Upvote 2