Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

1 hour ago, football guy said:

It's entirely up to him and the Jets are committed to giving him the space to make the decision. Yes the angst is awful as a fan, but the Jets expected this. This recruitment started well before the meeting so it's not like this hasn't been in the works for a while... I'm sure that was expressed and I'm sure they'll schedule follow up calls/meetings as needed because there's a ton to go over, but I don't anticipate this dragging out much longer personally. They have a soft deadline set at March 12, but the Jets will surely spend their weekend finalizing their FA plans, so my guess is they will hope to have an answer by Friday unless for some reason Rodgers asks for more time. At that point I'm not sure how the Jets would answer, but it honestly doesn't benefit Rodgers to wait longer either if he wants to be included in personnel decisions (which he has insinuated he does). 

I'm just guessing, but Rodgers probably is taking the day to reflect on everything they went over yesterday, making tomorrow key decision date for him. 

Sound logic.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I wouldn't give them MVP compensation - they should be compensated based on his age and contract. I'm just saying it's a shot worth taking with the roster we have and recent history of teams with QB's in this age group winning big.

Besides Tampa with Brady, nobody has had success with a 40 year old QB....Manning was terrible his last season at 39.  Any QB would have won with that defense when he was 38.  

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

*Cut to Zach Wilson reading tweets from his whole team doing anything they can to replace him*

Could anything be more humbling?  Seriously. For the briefest of nanoseconds I actually cared.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Elway was done at 39?  Define done.  He retired at 39 after his 3rd straight pro bowl 2nd straight super bowl winning season.  Think if he elected to play at 40 the Jets would/should have turned him down? 

If they had to trade two early draft picks to get him, yes. To replace Testaverde after his 1998 season, yes (without knowing about the achilles injury that came in 99).  Elway retired for a reason. He left a SB caliber team for a reason. He likely knew he was done.  

15 minutes ago, Dcat said:

While all the Jets fans came and went, barefoot servants too....

Dcat Check out the Dave Mason version of this song on Certified Live album My favorite take on this classic 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Think compensation back to GB has generally been agreed upon or they wouldn't even let us talk to rodgers

Not at all.. In fact just the opposite. They will let ANYONE talk to Rodgers now.   They want as many teams in on this so they can make it a bidding war.  

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

*Cut to Zach Wilson reading tweets from his whole team doing anything they can to replace him*

I know the popular take is to make Zach the sad sack, however if you remember last summer Zach raved about Rodgers and their interactions. I wouldn't be surprised if he embraced Rodgers as much as the rest of the team and truly benefits playing and learning behind him.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Post like this is giving Rodgers a raging boner 

It's a narcissist's Garden of Eden.  All this, and knowing you'll be the center of attention in NY Sports for the next 2 years, even moreso nationally than ever before. Bringing more TV/entertainment offers...  He's sitting back and expediently relishing in all this.  Don't expect any announcement until at least tomorrow.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You just can't help yourself.  :-)

Zach Wilson should be given the choice of extending his rookie deal another 2 years for about $9mm year with a third year option of $40mm year.  Plan on having him try to take over in 2025  If he flops, you cut him.  

If he refused to extend, tell him you will trade him to the worst possible team, or just cut him next year.  

The plan was always that Zach was supposed to be another Rodgers-so let him learn from the master and see if he can get it together.  If the plan is to have him watch Rodgers for 2 years and then take over, Wilson is not under contract for 2025.  That would have to be a fifth year option (see Love).  

Watch the Jets exercise Becton's and Wilson's fifth year options. 

• Sympathy 1