Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

13 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Can you confirm what the holdup is?

Is it the the Packers (details of trade) or is it Rodgers?

that's what I want to know.  Is it the trade compensation with Green Bay or is it an issue with Rodgers stalling?  Before yesterday we were led to believe it was Rodgers undecided... and yesterday a few people posted tweets saying its the opposite that it was the trade comp (arrogantly swearing by the tweets no less, as if any can be trusted.)

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

So if the Jets and Packers had basically agreed to the framework, why are we now reading rumors of multiple players involved? @football guy @Mogglez @Maxman

Probably because Aaron asked for Bahktiari to come with... and now they have to change the framework slightly to add in a LT. .. or something like. that... maybe he asked for a couple players and the Jets have to adjust to add these players in... That is why footballguy is adding in Ruckert might get traded.... meaning a bigger trade then original thought 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Skeptable said:

Probably because Aaron asked for Bahktiari to come with... and now they have to change the framework slightly to add in a LT. .. or something like. that... maybe he asked for a couple players and the Jets have to adjust to add these players in... That is why footballguy is adding in Ruckert might get traded.... meaning a bigger trade then original thought 

Hope you're right

17 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

So if the Jets and Packers had basically agreed to the framework, why are we now reading rumors of multiple players involved? @football guy @Mogglez @Maxman

I'm guessing who, but the expectation has been that other players would be involved- potentially on both sides. I don't know whether Jeremy Ruckert or anyone else is included for sure- just piecing things together. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, ptisme said:

First thing that would happen is Rodgers would have to 1 play for them or 2 retire.   If he playing he’s already said he’d restructure.   If he pulled a hammy on the first day of camp it would be less of a problem for them than the jets because the panthers would owe GB a contingent 2024 pick.   So if he got put on IR it wouldn’t cost them any draft Capitol.   Lastly his bonus doesn’t get paid unless he’s on the team at the beginning of the REGULAR SEASON

you think GB is just going to trade him and potentially not get any draft capital?

you think carolina (or any team) will trade for rodgers without rodgers agreeing to come to that team?

as to his bonus, it is guaranteed.  it must be paid sometime between march 17 (i think that's the date) and week 1.  it is not contingent on him being on a roster or anything (unless he retires, in which case i believe he'd forfeit the bonus).  if under your hypothetical carolina traded for rodgers and rodgers didn't retire, carolina owes him $58.7 million before week 1.  you think any team/owner/GM is going to just pay that out without getting assurances that rodgers is willing to play for them?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I am all but positive that this is the case.  Even if Rodgers does not want to play football and does not like the idea of being with the Jets, he knows he can get a payday and mail it in.  No way does Rodgers want to retire officially.  Personally, I believe it was GB he was tired of and not football in general.  And GB gets NOTHING if Rodgers retires rather than get traded.  Rodgers is not vacillating.  He made up his mind months ago.  In fact, Rodgers may even be assisting the Jets by also playing chicken with GB.  

Here is what I think.

GB is holding out for a number one draft choice.  JD says no.  Rodgers tells GB he's going to retire if the deal is not made.  That gives the Jets more leverage with GB.  If they don't take the deal the Jets are offering, GB gets NOTHING.

So... The game of chicken between the Jets and GB will go on until the 11th hour.  All the while GB knowing Rodgers will nail them with retirement if GB does not accept a second round this year and conditional next year,

And... Rodgers still has A LOT left in the tank.  His skills are not diminished.  Still one of the best passers on the NFL. He's just tired of GB

NYC, the Jet's young roster & Hackett will be invigorating for him. 

Rodgers is not trying to screw or play with the Jets.  The retirement question is adding to the Jets leverage to get the deal done. 

Seems logical - but then again what the hell do I know.

What makes me comfortable with the above is we actually have a professional GM handling the negotiations and he is not rushing to get the back page headline. 

I do trust that if the deal is not in the best interest of the franchise - he will walk away and turn his attention to others.

• Upvote 1

• JD should show GB that he is reasonable.  He will pay 2023 13 for Jordan Love.  But for Rodgers, his age and his contract, the price is less.  
  • No team is paying a draft pick for Rodgers unless he actually plays in 2023.  For GB, they want to trade him-if Rodgers wants to get paid, he can agree to play for the new team, or for Packers on the bench.  Those are his options.   
  • For GB, they can get something for Rodgers and get out of paying him $58mm and being a disruption.  They already said they don’t to play him.  Part of that is, that if he gets hurt in 2023, they are on the hook for another $42mm in 2024.  Ouch.  They just need to move him on.  
  • For the Jets, they are taking on a 40 year old QB and basically agreeing to pay him $110mm for 2 years,  Ouch.  They can spread the cap cost over four years.   Any day 2 pick to GB to assume that is a good deal for GB.  
  • Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Well you have to build an offense around him.   The appeal of Rodgers is he knows the Hackett offense and would be plug and play.    There is a learning curve to this offense.   Rodgers first year running it in 2019 was pedestrian by his standards and led to the drafting of Jordan Love.   Of course we all know how Russell Wilson looked his first year running it.   I was under the assumption the Jets were “win now”.   

With our defense, a run first clock eating offense would be ideal.   When Breece comes back and then with Bam , Lamar could RPO us to the playoffs like the Eagles.  

5 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • JD should show GB that he is reasonable.  He will pay 2023 13 for Jordan Love.  But for Rodgers, his age and his contract, the price is less.  
  • No team is paying a draft pick for Rodgers unless he actually plays in 2023.  For GB, they want to trade him-if Rodgers wants to get paid, he can agree to play for the new team, or for Packers on the bench.  Those are his options.   
  • For GB, they can get something for Rodgers and get out of paying him $58mm and being a disruption.  They already said they don’t to play him.  Part of that is, that if he gets hurt in 2023, they are on the hook for another $42mm in 2024.  Ouch.  They just need to move him on.  
  • For the Jets, they are taking on a 40 year old QB and basically agreeing to pay him $110mm for 2 years,  Ouch.  They can spread the cap cost over four years.   Any day 2 pick to GB to assume that is a good deal for GB.  

Excellent point.  GB almost would have to sit Rodgers and pay him stupid money to back up Love, while praying Love doesn't get hurt.  It doesn't seem like a tenable situation.  They can't cut him either.  Rodgers really does hold most of the cards in this three-way tango.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Let's hope the jets don't buy into taking GBs dead wood and conceding picks to close a deal. Bakhtiari is crippled and cobb is over the hill. The jets don't need or want either.

They wont.  Rodgers holds all the legal cards due to the possibility of retirement.  If he is in line with the Jets, and I think this to be the case, it indicates that JD is not dropping his pants for the GB people.  Both JD and Rodgers are in the same car playing chicken with the GB people. 

We wont get the official announcement until the very last minute. 

The way I see it, GB has to turn first.

If JD is smart, he will let the world know including GB that he is also talking to Jimmy G, Stafford, Lamar, etc...

GB gonna go BOCK BOCK BOCK a split second before they are legally bound to the impossibly bad contract that Rodgers will be soaking up. 

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

They can't cut him either.  Rodgers really does hold most of the cards in this three-way tango.

This is the problem. Rodgers can’t help himself in taking advantage of this situation.   He is like a kid in a candy store.  

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Let's hope the jets don't buy into taking GBs dead wood and conceding picks to close a deal. Bakhtiari is crippled and cobb is over the hill. The jets don't need or want either.

I actually hope we keep Bak.   He’s a top five OT when he plays and he played consistently the second half of the year 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-offensive-tackle-rankings-tiers

1 minute ago, varjet said:

This is the problem. Rodgers can’t help himself in taking advantage of this situation.   He is like a kid in a candy store.  

Also he’s been pissed at the gb front office for years, so this is his chance to get back at them and leverage the situation to help the jets and reduce the compensation.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

GB gonna go BOCK BOCK BOCK a split second before they are legally bound to the impossibly bad contract that Rodgers will be soaking up.

The GB guys are just morons.   They could have used the Jordan Love pick to help their 2x MVP after that to win the SB.  

Just take whatever JD is offering, make sure they are permanently off the hook for Rodgers $58mm, take the cap hit for the trade, and move on.  Maybe get the Jets to take DB too, restructured.  

Then the Jets should cut and restructure their team to compete.  

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, ptisme said:

First thing that would happen is Rodgers would have to 1 play for them or 2 retire.   If he playing he’s already said he’d restructure.   If he pulled a hammy on the first day of camp it would be less of a problem for them than the jets because the panthers would owe GB a contingent 2024 pick.   So if he got put on IR it wouldn’t cost them any draft Capitol.   Lastly his bonus doesn’t get paid unless he’s on the team at the beginning of the REGULAR SEASON

okay so he pulls a hammy week 1.

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

dont blame him ... last ride ... last hurrah ...  final bow ... last roll in the hay ... etc etc.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

that's what I want to know.  Is it the trade compensation with Green Bay or is it an issue with Rodgers stalling?  Before yesterday we were led to believe it was Rodgers undecided... and yesterday a few people posted tweets saying its the opposite that it was the trade comp (arrogantly swearing by the tweets no less, as if any can be trusted.)

Yeah, so many conflicting reports right now.  Leads me to believe nobody knows anything.  My best guess is it's the Jets and GB are at a stand still in negotiation - but that is based on close to nothing.

We just need to sit tight and let this play out.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

I am all but positive that this is the case.  Even if Rodgers does not want to play football and does not like the idea of being with the Jets, he knows he can get a payday and mail it in.  No way does Rodgers want to retire officially.  Personally, I believe it was GB he was tired of and not football in general.  And GB gets NOTHING if Rodgers retires rather than get traded.  Rodgers is not vacillating.  He made up his mind months ago.  In fact, Rodgers may even be assisting the Jets by also playing chicken with GB.  

Here is what I think.

GB is holding out for a number one draft choice.  JD says no.  Rodgers tells GB he's going to retire if the deal is not made.  That gives the Jets more leverage with GB.  If they don't take the deal the Jets are offering, GB gets NOTHING.

So... The game of chicken between the Jets and GB will go on until the 11th hour.  All the while GB knowing Rodgers will nail them with retirement if GB does not accept a second round this year and conditional next year,

And... Rodgers still has A LOT left in the tank.  His skills are not diminished.  Still one of the best passers on the NFL. He's just tired of GB

NYC, the Jet's young roster & Hackett will be invigorating for him. 

Rodgers is not trying to screw or play with the Jets.  The retirement question is adding to the Jets leverage to get the deal done. 

This 

and

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, so many conflicting reports right now.  Leads me to believe nobody knows anything.  My best guess is it's the Jets and GB are at a stand still in negotiation - but that is based on close to nothing.

This

Is the most likely situation imo 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Oh, I think some people know, but they just aren't saying.

1 hour ago, jetblue95 said:

you think GB is just going to trade him and potentially not get any draft capital?

you think carolina (or any team) will trade for rodgers without rodgers agreeing to come to that team?

as to his bonus, it is guaranteed.  it must be paid sometime between march 17 (i think that's the date) and week 1.  it is not contingent on him being on a roster or anything (unless he retires, in which case i believe he'd forfeit the bonus).  if under your hypothetical carolina traded for rodgers and rodgers didn't retire, carolina owes him $58.7 million before week 1.  you think any team/owner/GM is going to just pay that out without getting assurances that rodgers is willing to play for them?

Yes.   A team could trade for him after June 1 and not owe any picks to GB if Rodgers instead retires.   Question: would Rodgers force a team like the Panthers (whom he has no grudge against ) to pay him his bonus  if he had no intention to play for them?   Rodgers wouldn’t do that.  If you think he would you know less than zero about the guy