Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

11 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I don't understand why so many fans put this hold up all on Rodgers vs. recognizing the guys in the hot seat are the Packers based on that contract they agreed to.  One point I disagree with you - the worst case for the Packers is for Rodgers to say he's returning, not retiring.  Then what are they going to do?  Sit Love in his 4th year?  Pull an Eli Manning and sit Rodgers?  Their fan base is going to become unglued...

I think even in the event Rodgers wanted to return to the Packers, they’d trade him to the Jets anyway and call his bluff.

• Upvote 2

This might go at least until a week into Free Agency.  My guess is the Packers are going to see if Joe folds.  He's unlikely to do so.  

Once the first week or so of FA is over the Packers lose just about any leverage they may have had.  Right now all they have is the Jets would like to have Rodgers locked up for the start of FA.  

• Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t see this as the Packers having leverage, though. I see this as Rodgers doing everything he can to **** Gutenkunst on the way out the door. Rodgers retiring is the doom scenario for the Packers, so the longer Rodgers sits on his hands, the more desperate the Packers are and the more leverage Douglas has. 

Honestly even if the waffling about a year or two benefits the Jets from a compensation standpoint. Hopefully he just ***** them raw on the way out the door and then comes in with a gigantic chip on his shoulder.

Anecdotally it’s always felt like he alternates good years, too. At least from playing in a 2QB fantasy league where it seems like he goes for 20% of budget one year and bombs at that price point, then 6% of budget the next and is an MVP contender.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

This might go at least until a week into Free Agency.  My guess is the Packers are going to see if Joe folds.  He's unlikely to do so.  

Once the first week or so of FA is over the Packers lose just about any leverage they may have had.  Right now all they have is the Jets would like to have Rodgers locked up for the start of FA.  

Plus I think the offer changes the further we get into this thing. JOe has given them his best price. They are hoping another team will appear which if history indicates anythign that is is likely to happen, not sure thier offer will be better than joes (doubt it) but still they probably would like to get at least one othe roffer to see where things stand. The value is set by the market and if no other teams comes in then Jets will probably lower thier offer or get more compensation from Green aby. 

Green bay is the only factor not letting this happen right now and I don't blame them. They want to wait till june 1. Problem for them is Joe looks elsewhere like Baltimore for example or just keeps lowering the offer.

1 minute ago, derp said:

Honestly even if the waffling about a year or two benefits the Jets from a compensation standpoint. Hopefully he just ***** them raw on the way out the door and then comes in with a gigantic chip on his shoulder.

Anecdotally it’s always felt like he alternates good years, too. At least from playing in a 2QB fantasy league where it seems like he goes for 20% of budget one year and bombs at that price point, then 6% of budget the next and is an MVP contender.

His season last year was due to injury and talent around him, and all that being said - this year he is not injured and better talant on the jetss - his number last year are like our wet dream, be one of the best season any NY jets qb has ever had. he literally would be over night sensation in NY plus there is no tom brady or Justin Jeffries in the division. He can practically taste the AFC Title and super bowl comign here.

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I hope he speaks out on the off-the-field stuff in a way that people who currently find him to be "obnoxious" (I'm not one of those people, btw) will find him to be absolutely unbearable.  It's exactly what these people deserve.

I would only counter with this—even when Rodgers brings up the <redacted> and <redacted> he comes off as deeply unserious about any of it, and is quite clearly doing it for effect. He doesn’t even argue in a coherent way for the issues he’s bringing up, he just uses them as a vehicle to express his many personal grievances toward corporate media. 

4 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Plus I think the offer changes the further we get into this thing. JOe has given them his best price. They are hoping another team will appear which if history indicates anythign that is is likely to happen, not sure thier offer will be better than joes (doubt it) but still they probably would like to get at least one othe roffer to see where things stand. The value is set by the market and if no other teams comes in then Jets will probably lower thier offer or get more compensation from Green aby. 

Green bay is the only factor not letting this happen right now and I don't blame them. They want to wait till june 1. Problem for them is Joe looks elsewhere like Baltimore for example or just keeps lowering the offer.

It doesn't matter if another tab gets involved. If Rodgers only wants to go to the Jets then that other team and their trade proposal means nothing. There is a reason the Jets were the only team to get permission to talk to him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

48 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

His season last year was due to injury and talent around him, and all that being said - this year he is not injured and better talant on the jetss - his number last year are like our wet dream, be one of the best season any NY jets qb has ever had. he literally would be over night sensation in NY plus there is no tom brady or Justin Jeffries in the division. He can practically taste the AFC Title and super bowl comign here.

The quintessential "How to set yourself up for emotional destitution and knee jerk takes for the next 12 months" post 

In other words, we're not acquiring ARod in 2014. Is he still good? Of course, he can still play football good-ish... But put some ice on that boner, son. It's gonna take the whole team. Fitz in 2015 is probably a good ceiling to hope for. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I would only counter with this—even when Rodgers brings up the <redacted> and <redacted> he comes off as deeply unserious about any of it, and is quite clearly doing it for effect. He doesn’t even argue in a coherent way for the issues he’s bringing up, he just uses them as a vehicle to express his many personal grievances toward corporate media. 

Maybe, I don't follow him all that closely.  But I still agree with his stance on Covid and I think the concerns he raised are, sadly, being proven to be correct.  (I take no joy in that, btw.  Quite the opposite).

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

this is the quintessential "How to set yourself up for emotional destitution and knee jerk takes for the next 12 months" post 

In other words, we're not acquiring ARod in 2014. Is he still good? Of course, he can still play football good-ish... But put some ice on that boner, son. It's gonna take the whole team. Fitz in 2015 is probably a good ceiling to hope for. 

Ouch!

We missed the playoffs and Rex ****ed us. 

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

100%. He’s got rabbit ears and extremely motivated by sleights real and perceived. Presuming the Jets land him, we’re going to see a bloodthirsty Aaron Rodgers next year. He knows the league and knows that the Jets have been a clown show forever, and he knows what it’d mean for his legacy to carry them deep into the playoffs. 

SB or bust 

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

this is the quintessential "How to set yourself up for emotional destitution and knee jerk takes for the next 12 months" post 

probably the floor

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

100%. He’s got rabbit ears and extremely motivated by sleights real and perceived. Presuming the Jets land him, we’re going to see a bloodthirsty Aaron Rodgers next year. He knows the league and knows that the Jets have been a clown show forever, and he knows what it’d mean for his legacy to carry them deep into the playoffs. 

If he won back to back superbowls with the Jets that would put him in Brady/Montana/Peyton territory.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Fitz in 2015 would get us deep in that the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I do it for a living too, which is why I don't have time to watch news all day.

Dif strokes for dif folks. I need it at the v least as background noise, and also real time pulse on current events. 

30 minutes ago, Paradis said:

As long as he is as good as the 2020 and 2021 Aaron Rodgers, I'll take it. I mean, it's not 2014, but he wasn't terrible those seasons.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t see this as the Packers having leverage, though. I see this as Rodgers doing everything he can to **** Gutenkunst on the way out the door. Rodgers retiring is the doom scenario for the Packers, so the longer Rodgers sits on his hands, the more desperate the Packers are and the more leverage Douglas has. 

....and maybe that's why everyone at F.P. is reported to be calm and working as normal?  I mean.... there's a logical connection maybe. 

Like I've been thinking for about the last 36 hours...  All this has been Rodgers being a dick Rodgers.  Making his soon to be ex-boss sweat.  No regard for squirming Jets fans.  Dark caves, psychedelics, looney beliefs.   Yep.  That's Rodgers personality.  And I'm fine with it.  Get it done JD.  

• Upvote 2