Aaron Rodgers traded to the New York Jets

Humans are an emotional species.  The male sports fanatic is up at the top of any male / female list.

We vociferously judge the pick (either way) without knowing whether this is a 1 or 2 year deal.

… without knowing whether there has been any contract restructuring.

(… some are likely already creating narratives to blame this on public enemy #1 .. Woody Johnson).

The more reasonable scenario is that this is a fair trade because both sides are happy about some things and unhappy about some things.

Could Joe have held out for a better deal?  Maybe … given GB was most likely first to blink ahead of this draft.

At the end of the proverbial day, lowering the threshold for next year’s 1st rounder is not going to have as big an impact on the Jets future as the dead cap hit when Rodgers retires.  If we gain meaningful cap relief and the Jets know Rodgers true intentions are to play for 2 more years regardless of the BS he has fed GB and the media, then I believe this has the potential to be a good deal.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The ultimate SOJ scenario would be for Rodgers to play 65% of the snaps, the Jets to somehow get the 1st overall pick (which would head to the Packers), and then AR retires after 1 season.

I'm gonna hold off judgement until I see/hear of the actual 'conditions' for the 2nd/1st next year...and the final contract rework.

Have a hard time believing the NYJ would not have some 'condition' on next years pick that depended on AR committing to a second season before next years draft.

It seems JD overplayed a bit, but at this point, it’s semantics. Negotiations are a give and take. The Jets needed Rodgers desperately so they ponied up. With a stout D, the Jets can be serious contenders.

JD pulled off a one sided trade with the Browns, so all in all, I think the trades evened out.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, Claymation said:

Looks like Aaron could be reworking his contract with the Jets. Uh-oh

Look, if the Packers ate a majority of the money AND the Jets go out and make a trade to or two to spend that money - for this upcoming season - then I start to feel a lot better about this move.

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Humans are an emotional species.  The male sports fanatic is up at the top of any male / female list.

We vociferously judge the pick (either way) without knowing whether this is a 1 or 2 year deal.

… without knowing whether there has been any contract restructuring.

(… some are likely already creating narratives to blame this on public enemy #1 .. Woody Johnson).

The more reasonable scenario is that this is a fair trade because both sides are happy about some things and unhappy about some things.

Could Joe have held out for a better deal?  Maybe … given GB was most likely first to blink ahead of this draft.

At the end of the proverbial day, lowering the threshold for next year’s 1st rounder is not going to have as big an impact on the Jets future as the dead cap hit when Rodgers retires.  If we gain meaningful cap relief and the Jets know Rodgers true intentions are to play for 2 more years regardless of the BS he has fed GB and the media, then I believe this has the potential to be a good deal.

Agreed.  But there is no fun in waiting for all of the facts to be made public before expressing outrage.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

At what point in the last 6-7 weeks was it ever rumored to be less than what they gave up? It has always been rumored to be relatively close to what the trade wound up being. The financial details have not been released and that is also going to be a big part of this trade. 

Literally every part that was rumored we caved into. We did the pick swap which is the 100th overall pick in value (a late 3rd). Allowing both them and NE now to possibly draft the guy we want when they both could use an OT. We gave up 42 which I thought we’d give up a 2nd so this isn’t a big deal. But doing 42 now allows them again to draft a player we want (which you’d think us losing this trade, that we’d at least draft in front of them once, but no). Keep in mind to get 42 we had to give up Moore AND our 3rd. And the icing on the cake was we always thought it’d be a 2nd that had conditions to turn into a 1st. But as easy as just playing 65% of the snaps? That’s pretty much for sure giving them a 1st. Go look at Rodgers injury history…..

So to recap…

We get Rodgers, 15th overall pick, a 5th and no protection if he only plays 1 season.

for

13th overall. (In essence Elijah Moore and our 3rd) 42 (which we lost in that trade as well). A 6th and what will based on Rodgers career… will 99% be a 2024 1st rounder.

I’ll listen to the side that we got our guy and we now need to focus on a SB run and such.

But the line of thinking that we pretty decently didn’t lose this trade value wise…. Is just false. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Ugh 1

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Literally every part that was rumored we caved into. We did the pick swap which is the 100th overall pick in value (a late 3rd). Allowing both them and NE now to possibly draft the guy we want when they both could use an OT. We gave up 42 which I thought we’d give up a 2nd so this isn’t a big deal. But doing 42 now allows them again to draft a player we want (which you’d think us losing this trade, that we’d at least draft in front of them once, but no). Keep in mind to get 42 we had to give up Moore AND our 3rd. And the icing on the cake was we always thought it’d be a 2nd that had conditions to turn into a 1st. But as easy as just playing 65% of the snaps? That’s pretty much for sure giving them a 1st. Go look at Rodgers injury history…..

So to recap…

We get Rodgers, 15th overall pick, a 5th and no protection if he only plays 1 season.

for

13th overall. (In essence Elijah Moore and our 3rd) 42 (which we lost in that trade as well). A 6th and what will based on Rodgers career… will 99% be a 2024 1st rounder.

I’ll listen to the side that we got our guy and we now need to focus on a SB run and such.

But the line of thinking that we pretty decently didn’t lose this trade value wise…. Is just false. 

I hope you learned something about rumors 

7 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Can nobody here do math?

.65x18 is 11 games

so he plays 11 games its a 1st.

just assume its a first.

what i want to know is it regular season games or do playoff games go into the equation?

Is it games or offensive snaps. Ball out 1st half and let the Qb “not named Zach” hand the ball off 2nd half and let D ball out for the win!

The Walking Dead Easy Peasy GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Aaron rodgers is the jets qb. 
one more time he is the jets qb

but the jets lost the trade and jd caved - who gives a rats a_s? The media who hates the jets anyway?

next season if I am sitting in that stadium for a home playoff game I’m sure I will constantly say but we lost the trade.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Hughes literally works for Douglas lol

Hughes is an idiot, still doesn’t change the fact that the Jets are looking to rework his contract. You can deflect all you want, but at the end of the day…the Jets got better and still have a first and a second in this year’s draft. 

All the bitching because of draft picks. Lottery tickets for a 4 time MVP who is definitely got to be motivated with how Green Bay treated him at the end. 

Jets fans should be excited today. Instead they are bitching. Jets fans. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I'll be happy when they start winning games.  Why should I be dancing in the streets just becasue we got the QB we have been after for what looks like a very hefty price.

You should be dancing unless you want to watch Zach Wilson again. The guy threw for 3700 yards and 26td's/12 INT in a "down" year with not much help and was MVP the  previous 2 years. That's why. The price wasn't that bad either. Basically a 2nd this year, and possibly a first next year that may very well be a last first. This team hasn't made the playoffs in 12 ******* years. It's about time they did. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Aaron rodgers is the jets qb. 
one more time he is the jets qb

but the jets lost the trade and jd caved - who gives a rats a_s? The media who hates the jets anyway?

next season if I am sitting in that stadium for a home playoff game I’m sure I will constantly say but we lost the trade.

You can like the player and still realize that the jets caved for no reason and are on the losing end of the trade.  They have gotten the better end of the deal on a bunch of recent deals, so I guess its ok (cringe) to lose value once in a while.  I am just a value oriented person, and I just don’t like the value of the trade.  

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So to recap…

for

Green Bay pretty much got what they wanted.  They wanted the 13th pick and they wanted another guaranteed first which they pretty much got along with a second rounder.  I’m happy Rodgers is here but it certainly wasn’t cheap and if it doesn’t end with us getting at least to the AFC title game it’s gonna sting 

• Upvote 1