NFL schedule release targeted for May 11

Larz

3 hours ago, Trotter said:

Lots of changes Sarge.

No more BranchBrook pools.

Ed from Ed's hot dogs passed away so they are gone.

Possibly JJ's is still there 

Wow no more Branchbrook Pools? Damn.

'SNF' opener prediction: Jets vs. Patriots

Date: Sunday, Sept. 10

getty-aaron-rodgers-charity.jpg
Getty Images

Now that Aaron Rodgers is in New York, the NFL will be looking to throw Gang Green squarely into the spotlight. Rodgers is no stranger to "Sunday Night Football," and what better way for him to make his Jets debut than against a scrappy Patriots team that's beaten its divisional rivals in 14 consecutive matchups?

• Upvote 1

Would think the Jets will be prime time against the Pats, Chiefs, Bills. With outside shot at the Cowboys, Eagles and Giants. 

Thanksgiving vs the Cowboys makes sense and SNF vs the Pats week 1 would be interesting considering the 14 game losing streak. 

5 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Would think the Jets will be prime time against the Pats, Chiefs, Bills. With outside shot at the Cowboys, Eagles and Giants. 

Thanksgiving vs the Cowboys makes sense and SNF vs the Pats week 1 would be interesting considering the 14 game losing streak. 

I just can't see the NFL passing on Jets Giants on September 11. The guys on Sirius were saying that outside of the Eagles, Giants Cowboys and 49ers almost all of the Prime Time games will feature AFC teams because they want to market the QBs and basically all the good ones are in the AFC

5 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Rodgers first home game against Belichick on SNF is a slam dunk. I know some like Jets vs Giants on 9/11, but I don’t think that’s nearly as big of a football draw as Jets/Pats.

I’ve heard rumors of Jets Giants on MNF 9/11 and the Jets playing on Christmas Day.  

I am not sure if I buy the MNF Giants game.  The Giants will be the home team for the preseason game and regular season game.  I just don’t see them playing each other that close to each other.  Historically they usually try to avoid home games on Rosh Hashanah which would be week 2.  

23 hours ago, Tooooon said:

Rodgers first home game against Belichick on SNF is a slam dunk. I know some like Jets vs Giants on 9/11, but I don’t think that’s nearly as big of a football draw as Jets/Pats.

Best time of year to play NE is usually September, which BB typically uses to figure out what kind of team he thinks he has

NYJ have been so bad the last decade it hasn’t mattered, but this year is different (hopefully)

• Upvote 1

This will be unpopular, but I prefer the Jets not play on 9/11. I don't like how the NFL sees it as an opportunity to wrap themselves in the flag and make a show of it.  Plus, so much time has passed that most of the players don't even have a living memory of the events of that day, assuming they were even alive yet.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

This will be unpopular, but I prefer the Jets not play on 9/11. I don't like how the NFL sees it as an opportunity to wrap themselves in the flag and make a show of it.  Plus, so much time has passed that most of the players don't even have a living memory of the events of that day, assuming they were even alive yet.  

I agree with you, but don't you just know that this is what is going to happen.  Opening Monday night, Jets v Giants.  Will be a salute to service, and first responders and how the NFL has supported the military, etc. 

The League is not going to miss this opportunity to market themselves.

• Upvote 1

Something to think about, last time the NFL was gift wrapped a chance to pit the Jets and giants against each other on 9/11 was 2011 and they chose to incorporate Washington against NYG instead (still makes sense). And we got the now famous Sunday Night game against Dallas. I think the odds are 50/50 of it happening. 

'SNF' opener prediction: Jets vs. Patriots

Date: Sunday, Sept. 10

getty-aaron-rodgers-charity.jpg Getty Images

Now that Aaron Rodgers is in New York, the NFL will be looking to throw Gang Green squarely into the spotlight. Rodgers is no stranger to "Sunday Night Football," and what better way for him to make his Jets debut than against a scrappy Patriots team that's beaten its divisional rivals in 14 consecutive matchups?

Such a sittable face
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Week 1 - W

Week 2 - W

Week 3 - L

Week 4 - W

Week 5 - L

Week 6 - W

Week 7 - W

Week 8 - L

Week 9 - W

Week 10 - W

Week 11 - W

Week 12 - BYE

Week 13 - W

Week 14 - W

Week 15 - L

Week 16 - W

Week 17 - L

Week 18 – W

Old Lady Reaction GIF

If they get 12 wins, I dont give a damn how they do it!

This year's schedule release will be coming with a few twists and the biggest one is that the NFL will be releasing several games before May 11.

The 10 teams playing in the five international games will be announced on May 10 on NFL Network and ESPN (We already know that home teams in those games with the Patriots and Chiefs each hosting a game in Germany while the Bills, Titans and Jaguars will each host a game in London). 

The NFL will be holding a Black Friday game for the first time ever and the two teams playing in that game will be announced by Amazon on May 10. 

CBS and Fox will both be unveiling several select individual games on May 10. The CBS announcement will come on "CBS Mornings" while the Fox announcement will air during "Fox and Friends."

The early announcements will end on May 11 when ABC and NBC both reveal several games that will air on each of those networks. ABC's announcement will be on "Good Morning America" while NBC's announcement will come on "The Today Show."

The 2023 release will mark the fourth straight year that the schedule has come out in May. Before 2020, the NFL schedulewas generally released in April, but the date got moved to May during the pandemic. The NFL liked the May release date so much that the league has decided to stick with it. 

The later release date gives the league some extra time to figure things out in case there are any major moves made during the offseason and the league definitely needed that extra time this year. In late April alone, we saw Aaron Rodgers get traded, a move that likely had a huge impact on the schedule. With Rodgers in the fold, the Jets will almost certainly be getting a full allotment of prime-time games this season. 

As for the schedule itself, here are a few things we already know ahead of Thursday's release:

Thursday night opener in Kansas City. The defending Super Bowl champion annually plays host in the opening game of the season, which means that barring something unforeseen, the Chiefs will be the home team in the Thursday night opener. Their home schedule consists of the Broncos, Raiders, Chargers, Bills, Bengals, Dolphins, Bears, Lions and Eagles, so the NFL will have plenty of juicy games to choose from, including a possible Super Bowl rematch with the Eagles or an AFC title game rematch with the Bengals. Sending Josh Allen and the Bills to Kansas City for the opener would also be an attractive option for the league. The NFL generally tries to avoid putting divisional games in the opener, so the Chargers, Raiders and Broncos likely won't be playing in Kansas City in Week 1. 

Monday nights will be changing. The 2023 season marks the beginning of the new media contract, which will usher in some new changes. Two of those changes will involve Monday night games. Not only will there be THREE Monday doubleheaders this year -- up from one last season -- but the NFL will also be able to flex Monday games in 2023 starting in Week 12. 

Christmas tripleheader that will make history. The NFL is planning to take over Christmas this year and the league is going to do that by holding a Dec. 25 tripleheader for the second straight year. With Christmas falling on a Monday, that means we'll be getting the first Monday tripleheader in NFL history. 

Teams could be given two Thursday games.The NFL owners approved a rule in Marchthat now allows teams to play two short-week games starting with the 2023 season. This means that several teams could end up playing multiple games this year on just three days rest. 

Every home-and-away opponent for all 32 teams. Although we don't know the time and dates for any game yet this year, we do know who each team will be playing and you can check out the home-and-away opponents for all 32 teams by clicking here.

The NFL schedule release has become a major offseason event for the league and this year is no exception. CBS Sports HQ will have coverage starting at 8 p.m. ET Thursday with Pete Prisco, Bryant McFadden, Danny Kanell, Brady Quinn and Todd Fuhrman all breaking down the schedule. 

3 hours ago, ChrebetOverKeyshawn said:

Something to think about, last time the NFL was gift wrapped a chance to pit the Jets and giants against each other on 9/11 was 2011 and they chose to incorporate Washington against NYG instead (still makes sense). And we got the now famous Sunday Night game against Dallas. I think the odds are 50/50 of it happening. 

I don’t see it happening. The NFL doesn’t need 9/11 to boost week 1 ratings.  And let’s be honest, 2 New Jersey teams playing with a bunch of players who had nothing to do with 9/11 isn’t a huge national draw.  Rodgers first home game vs Belichick is a much bigger ratings bonanza.