AVT - Achilles - Out for Season

JETS SB

1 hour ago, BleedsgreenNYJ said:

Anyone want to know why these Jets teams keep tearing Achilles at a rate that far exceeds the rest of the NFL?

Take a look into who is running our S&C room...was doing track and field before 3 years as an NFL assistant.  3 years experience working with professional athletes!!!  Saleh hired an amateur.  Getting amateur results. 

Two dudes down votes the above, but its true...see all the voices asking below. 

1 hour ago, jetswin said:

Rodgers, Lawson, AVT, am I missing anyone?  When do the Jets start looking at the training staff and think, maybe they're doing something wrong here?  I still say that jumping spiking thing they were doing this summer looked like an achiles injury waiting to happen

They are doing something wrong...ask someone who works in S&C, they'd tell you this doesnt happen by accident.

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

This is a relatively rare and devastating injury that seems to happen way too frequently to players on the NY Jets. 

There has to be more to this because not even the Jets should be this unlucky.

See my original post...you cant just pluck a dude with little to no football s&c training and ask him to train football players.  Completely different. That's why the experience matters.

32 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Can this possibly be correlated to having an inept strength & conditioning coach or medical staff? These injuries are ridiculous. Every ******* year. Rodgers, AVT twice, Becton, Carl Lawson, Breece Hall? This is ridiculous. 

Saleh hired an amateur.  Getting amateur results.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

What stinks also, the Jets have to make a decision on AVT's 5th year option after this season. What do you think they do with that?

This is a really, really good question.  

Ideally you would re-up a new contract - but you can't do that now - I think you have to pick up the option.

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

The number of staring tackles in the nfl doesn’t matter JD is paid to make sure we have 2, we haven’t since he’s been here. Injuries is no excuse because there are players who don’t get injured believe it or not and again it’s the GMs job to be the one to identify these players.

On top of JD getting paid lovely to find this talent he was sold as this O Line “guru”. 

Our all-pro G should never be playing snaps at tackle only pinch situations, not consecutive starts….

well now he’s hurt, season ending playing at tackle both times and it’s on JD ultimately, complete failure 

Constant whining in here. 

1 hour ago, BleedsgreenNYJ said:

Anyone want to know why these Jets teams keep tearing Achilles at a rate that far exceeds the rest of the NFL?

Take a look into who is running our S&C room...was doing track and field before 3 years as an NFL assistant.  3 years experience working with professional athletes!!!  Saleh hired an amateur.  Getting amateur results. 

He's in his fourth year in the NFL following seven years in college where he was the head conditioning coach the last three of those years. He followed Saleh to NY from SF.

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is a really, really good question.  

Ideally you would re-up a new contract - but you can't do that now - I think you have to pick up the option.

I would also pick up the option, hope he makes it through the full season next year and then sign him to an extension, if he plays up to the way we know he can.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Have at least two starting caliber T's on the roster.  It's not like there weren't any available in FA.  He just needed to spend for them....Tackles needed to be a priority and he didn't make it one.

This excuse doesn't hold water anymore.  It's been FIVE years.  Teams rebuild in two, maybe three..that's pretty much the window.

You're confusing trying with succeeding.  His job isn't to try his job is to actually have staring caliber people on the roster.  If I go to work every day and try hard but don't actually achieve the mandate I was given, I would lose my job...My boss isn't saying - hey no problem we're losing money, you made an effort.

Mitchel is not a starting caliber Tackle, Warren is not a starting caliber player.  Duane Brown wasn't ready to play yet and he's far over the hill. 

If you want to make excuses for Joe Douglas you're welcome to but the reality is he's done a very poor job with the OL. - especially considering all the resources that have gone into it.

I really dont follow this at all.  What if you got better every year at your job  but other employees or competitors also got better?  If your boss still fired you because outside elements changed then he wouldnt be very good at his job.

We have lost games because we had a young QB who played like a massive bust and JD needs to be accountable for that.  Him not having 4 starting OTs is not something that any sane fan should fault him for given the way the rest of the team has improved.

1 hour ago, Gangrene said:

Before the season PFF ranked Denver's defensive line as 28th in the league.

The Eagles were ranked No.1 defensive line in the league, how this reshuffled oline handles the Eagles, is going to be interesting.

This is all that matters. The rest of whining 

This is just too much. We come off a win snapping a 3 game losing streak and instead of most people enjoying the win, we are barraged with we should have stream rolled them, Zach sucks, should have scored more against the worst defense, etc. 

Now we find out our perennial pro bowler is made of glass and is out for the season the second year in a row. 

It just never ends

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So the internet doctors have moved off of blaming the turf or players age and to complaining about the medical staff? 
Because training will stop Achilles from rupturing.  

Well….I have no idea if the trainers are compenent or not, but a good staff should have a good understanding of how a plsyer is feeling, especially with the advanced technologies they have to help them these days.  These injuries rarely just occur.  There is usually a predisposition, or a strain or something.  Rodgers had issues with his calf during training camp.  A good trainer would know that and start working those areas asap.  I have no idea if they did, and just had bad luck, or didn’t and are now feeling the effects.  

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I want Joe Alt in the 2024 draft.  Best overall player in the 2024 draft and a LT prospect of a lifetime.  Joe Jacoby, Anthony Munoz, Jonathan Ogden & John Hanna all rolled into one. 

JD, find a way to get it done. 

Joe Alt got worked this past weekend.  Saw him get knocked on his ass at least a few times.  He's a good looking prospect but if you're expecting a kid who is going to come in and be the savior next season.....I don't know what to tell ya bud.  

15 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Joe Alt got worked this past weekend.  Saw him get knocked on his ass at least a few times.  He's a good looking prospect but if you're expecting a kid who is going to come in and be the savior next season.....I don't know what to tell ya bud.  

I think he’s too tall (jones).  But i think there are other OT the jets can get in round 1.  

15 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Well….I have no idea if the trainers are compenent or not, but a good staff should have a good understanding of how a plsyer is feeling, especially with the advanced technologies they have to help them these days.  These injuries rarely just occur.  There is usually a predisposition, or a strain or something.  Rodgers had issues with his calf during training camp.  A good trainer would know that and start working those areas asap.  I have no idea if they did, and just had bad luck, or didn’t and are now feeling the effects.  

Achilles snap. Has nothing to do with how you feel.  There isn’t a strain that lets you know.  There isn’t an age it happens to.  Your calf and ankle are different.
If you look around the league this injury isn’t unheard of. 

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Jets might need to make a trade.   They should probably be looking for two starting T's.

AVT is NOT a Tackle and shouldn't play Tackle ever again -  if he ever comes back.

He accepted the role and what the injury has to do with the position? I think that you are being a little mythical, but I rather see him play his natural position as well. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DJF71 said:

Both tackles are injury prone and one is a fat fuvk. 

Except he isn’t.  
And gate to break this but AVT is just as injury prone at this point.  Sucks, hopefully this is his last big time injury and wasted season

57 minutes ago, Bronx said:

He accepted the role and what the injury has to do with the position? I think that you are being a little mythical, but I rather see him play his natural position as well. 

AVT played tackle in college.

People wanted Wirfs and play a G as a full time LT tackle and are now going to complain that AVT was filling in at T because of an injury.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bronx said:

He's short for a Tackle and isn't used to playing the position..

Will force him overcompensate to play at a level he plays at Guard.  It's a problem and makes him more susceptible to injury.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He's short for a Tackle and isn't used to playing the position..

Will force him overcompensate to play at a level he plays at Guard.  It's a problem and makes him more susceptible to injury.

I think he is an injury prone player like Becton. Hopefully year 4 will be a healthy one for him; otherwise he will have to be replaced as well.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

It's more on JD for not having two starting  caliber T's on the opening day roster.  It's absolutely mind boggling to me.  In a year when you have 40 year old QB and visions of a championship - you don't even have two starting caliber T's to start the season.

It's insane.

He was counting on Brown. Problem is, Brown now sucks. 

1 hour ago, billo83 said:

This is just too much. We come off a win snapping a 3 game losing streak and instead of most people enjoying the win, we are barraged with we should have stream rolled them, Zach sucks, should have scored more against the worst defense, etc. 

Now we find out our perennial pro bowler is made of glass and is out for the season the second year in a row. 

It just never ends

Plenty of fuel for the fire

What a shame. Good news is O’Neill on the Vikings tore his Achilles week17 last year, and started week 1 this year. Currently grades as a top 5 right tackle. Anyone know the history of Achilles with Olineman? They need their lower body and leg drive strength, so this is definitely concerning. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

I am a ND fan and I watch every game.  He had his worst game as a college player against louisville, but by no means was he "worked".  He is absolutely every bit as good as i am suggesting.  even guys like ogden had an off game in college along with all of their stellar games.

if he is on the board and the jets dont take him, it will be a huge mistake