Opinions on Rex Ryan coming back as HC?

Nixhead

17 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

I wouldn’t hate it. He had his teams motivated game in game out. He would surround himself with very good coaches. We have a very good defense for him to work with. If you fire Saleh you better have a deal with an experienced Head Coach lined up. Our offenses did better than they are now under Rex. Plenty of negatives though also.  

No

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

No he’s been out of the league for too long. Same as Bill Cower 

How about Joe Gibbs?  He quit the NFL for auto-racing but came back years later and took the awful Washington franchise back to the post-season.  I say this as it applies to Bill Cowher, btw.  (not to Rex, who I don't want back).

5 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Yeah, Rex Ryan had his teams so motivated that he went 46-50 as HC and led a team that no-showed in the first half against the Steelers in the AFC Championship game.

No.

He was still celebrating the Patriots win one day before the Steelers game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

20 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

I wouldn’t hate it. He had his teams motivated game in game out. He would surround himself with very good coaches. We have a very good defense for him to work with. If you fire Saleh you better have a deal with an experienced Head Coach lined up. Our offenses did better than they are now under Rex. Plenty of negatives though also.  

11 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't know much about what happened with Jon Gruden - is he a viable NFL HC or is he done? 

He was done before Oakland hired him.  Then a bunch of stuff came out that completely shamed him.  Even if you think he is being blackballed for "outing the commissioner," how does it help us to take on the commissioner?

• Upvote 3

Even if you really thought Rex Ryan could be an effective HC in today's game, you'd have to factor how on earth he would assemble a quality coaching staff. 

Rex is doing a great job being what he was always meant to be, a TV talking head.  He should keep doing that for as long as can. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

Okay, Rex is an experienced head coach who did get his teams motivated but he also knows very little about offense.  His succeeded because he had a very good oline with brick, mangold, colon, woody, et al.  People seem to forget his jets team was also 4-7 in 2009 and finished 9-7 to sneak into the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why?  When was the last time that he did a good job?  You can listen to him on television and you know his genius status is a ******* joke. 

He's won a Super Bowl.  And who knows how his tenure with the Raiders would've gone had he had more time.

Again, of the guys we can actually get to come here, I'm not sure how much better we can do than him (again, from a purely football perspective).

The other guy that I'd be interested in would be Scott McCloughan, who was the Washington GM until IIRC they fired him for being a drunk.  

• Upvote 2