Opinions on Rex Ryan coming back as HC?

Nixhead

No thanks.  He's all bluster, no muster.  Failed as Head Coach with two organizations, and his takes as an NFL analyst do not impress me at all.

He took a team built by Mangini on two improbable playoff runs and then preceded to ruin the team with his ineptitude for the rest of his tenure.

Demand better.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Nope. He was only successful the first two years here and then never got over .500 here and made Buffalo considerably worse. He's as deficient with offense as Bowles and Saleh. His defensive scheme was exposed and he never adjusted to that reality. His input on the roster was a disaster. He's a brash version of Saleh. 

Sexy Rexy hasn't coached in nearly a decade and probably lacks connections to put together a decent coaching staff. His staff would be a stepping stone for coaches to take a promotion and then move off somewhere else. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How about Joe Gibbs?  He quit the NFL for auto-racing but came back years later and took the awful Washington franchise back to the post-season.  I say this as it applies to Bill Cowher, btw.  (not to Rex, who I don't want back).

I don’t really know anything about Gibbs. Was barely out of diapers when he left the first time. Cower will be 67 at the start of next season which seems far too old to get back in the swing of things after leaving 10+ years ago 

6 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I don’t really know anything about Gibbs. Was barely out of diapers when he left the first time. Cower will be 67 at the start of next season which seems far too old to get back in the swing of things after leaving 10+ years ago 

Fwiw,

Joe Gibbs coached Washington from 1981–1992 and then again 12 years later from 2004–2007.  He was born in 1940 so, in 2004, he was 64.

Dick Vermeil coached the Eagles from 1976-1982 (where he got to but lost a SB) and then the Rams 15 years later from 1997-1999 (where he won a SB).  He was born in 1936 so, in 1997, he was 61.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wit said:

We need someone who knows how to coach modern football. Next year Rodgers will coach the offense and saleh does fine with the defense

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I certainly hope so.  Everyone knows Peyton Manning was the offensive coach for his teams and that seemed to work OK.

True story from years ago:  Peyton Manning was furious one week when he did not get the coach's plans for the offense the day before the other coaches got  them.  Obvious who was the real OC on his teams.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He's won a Super Bowl.  And who knows how his tenure with the Raiders would've gone had he had more time.

Again, of the guys we can actually get to come here, I'm not sure how much better we can do than him (again, from a purely football perspective).

The other guy that I'd be interested in would be Scott McCloughan, who was the Washington GM until IIRC they fired him for being a drunk.  

He won a super bowl with Tony Dungy's team and has literally not won a playoff game since.  Scot McCloughan?  Pair a drunk with a racist homophobe.  What could go wrong?  McGloughan is a scout and he is a good one, but a guy that Daniel Snyder can't keep on board is not who you want steering the ship for your organization. 

15 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fwiw,

Joe Gibbs coached Washington from 1981–1992 and then again 12 years later from 2004–2007.  He was born in 1940 so, in 2004, he was 64.

Dick Vermeil coached the Eagles from 1976-1982 (where he got to but lost a SB) and then the Rams 15 years later from 1997-1999 (where he won a SB).  He was born in 1936 so, in 1997, he was 61.

I guess it’s possible then, but just seems like a much better option to bring in a guy who’s been working in the league or even college for the past few years.

Offenses and defenses are constantly changing + the players are much much different now than in the early 2000s with social media and ego so an old guy relating and inspiring them is probably much more difficult. Belechick is the only grandpa around and he’s respected by the players due to his success, but they probably don’t like or relate to him at all 

I wouldn’t hate it. He had his teams motivated game in game out. He would surround himself with very good coaches. We have a very good defense for him to work with. If you fire Saleh you better have a deal with an experienced Head Coach lined up. Our offenses did better than they are now under Rex. Plenty of negatives though also.  

The Jets faced off against the Bills in 2014. The Bills couldn’t practice at all due to an enormous snowstorm. The game got moved to Detroit on Monday. The Jets lost by 35 to a team that couldn’t practice. So please spare me the Rex had his teams ready bs.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Nixhead said:

I wouldn’t hate it. He had his teams motivated game in game out. He would surround himself with very good coaches. We have a very good defense for him to work with. If you fire Saleh you better have a deal with an experienced Head Coach lined up. Our offenses did better than they are now under Rex. Plenty of negatives though also.  

Don't play Footsie with my team!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He won a super bowl with Tony Dungy's team and has literally not won a playoff game since.  Scot McCloughan?  Pair a drunk with a racist homophobe.  What could go wrong?  McGloughan is a scout and he is a good one, but a guy that Daniel Snyder can't keep on board is not who you want steering the ship for your organization. 

I'm just saying that these are options with experience and talent that we could actually get to agree to come here.  Obviously they're "damaged goods" but that's exactly why we'd be able to bring them in.

I was going to criticize your point about Gruden winning with Dungy's team (because, how come Dungy couldn't win with it?!) but Barry Switzer won with Jimmy Johnson's team so I think you might have a point there.

13 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I guess it’s possible then, but just seems like a much better option to bring in a guy who’s been working in the league or even college for the past few years.

Offenses and defenses are constantly changing + the players are much much different now than in the early 2000s with social media and ego so an old guy relating and inspiring them is probably much more difficult. Belechick is the only grandpa around and he’s respected by the players due to his success, but they probably don’t like or relate to him at all 

I think people crap on BB way too much.  I still absolutely think he's in the GOAT convo and I don't think the game has passed him by (though he is old).

19 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think people crap on BB way too much.  I still absolutely think he's in the GOAT convo and I don't think the game has passed him by (though he is old).

I’m not saying he wasn’t great. Did you see the clip with Zappe? He was super happy and showing emotions with bill obrien then stopped in his tracks and hid all emotions with bb then just shook his hand and called him sir 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nixhead said:

IMG_4743.jpeg

• Haha 1