Personal opinions about them aside…

Green Ghost

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Bad teams getting held held hostage by a player(s) is never good. Rodgers obviously has more leverage than Wilson, but both of these guys have caused more problems/drama than they are worth. I don’t see another team in the league that Wilson would want to go to or vice versa, which is concerning. The Jets (Woody) wants him back as the backup I’m sure. 

Agreed.

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Bad teams getting held held hostage by a player(s) is never good. Rodgers obviously has more leverage than Wilson, but both of these guys have caused more problems/drama than they are worth. I don’t see another team in the league that Wilson would want to go to or vice versa, which is concerning. The Jets (Woody) wants him back as the backup I’m sure. 

I can see him in LV….Utah fans all around there.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

These guys don't want to play here and will be gone ASAP 

And I don't really think JD or Saleh wants to deal with it anymore either.  Becton could be resigned but he'd be franchised and it still would be very expensive. He could probably get a deal for a few years elsewhere.  No way JD gives him a multi year deal.  And even if he franchises him, JD needs to find a competent backup since Becton just cant be relied on.  JD can not EFF this up next year.  Zach needs to go. Enough is enough. Cut, trade, release whatever. Just go away already. How many teams draft a bust QB and cut their losses. It's clearly evident Zach is not good enough, right now, to play QB in the NFL. Now he could emerge in the future like Geno has, but he'll bounce around for years.  

• Upvote 1

Becton has shown that he has a questionable work ethic and that he isn’t reliable both physically or when he’s on the field. All he deserves at this point is a team friendly prove it deal. I’m ok with the team offering a 1 year deal that’s team friendly, but if he requires anything significant, let someone else gamble on him. 

zach, it’s time to split. He got a very long leash and while I think this franchise really messed up trying to develop him, he’s equally to blame. A fresh start for him would be for the best l. For us, the jets can’t hitch their wagons to him again. He can’t be plan b. He’s hot to go. 

I don’t expect either person to be with the team next season.

• Upvote 1

Challenge with letting Becton walk is that we need to then fill both tackle spots in one offseason. Getting 1 good FA will be tricky enough; getting two will be nigh on impossible. So do you want to be boxed into having to select and start a draft pick? Or do we hope that one of Warren or Mitchell steps up next year?

Maybe his late dip in play will drop his price enough that we re-sign him for sensible money and he can compete at both tackle spots with whoever else we bring in (FA / draft). It also means we're not forced to start someone who isn't ready to go day one.

• Upvote 3

Becton has had a horrible year, stat wise. I wouldn’t be shocked if we’re told that he was playing with some nagging injury soon after the season’s done. Not that I’m trying to use health as an excuse, but something just doesn’t add up. The biggest gripe with him was his weight and inability to stay on the field. He did play all season. Anyway, I think JD will make him an offer but some other team more desperate will make him an offer he can’t refuse. I don’t think JD should commit long term money because he been so unreliable 

Zach is still under contract for 2024. There’s no doubt that a better backup will be one roster next year which means he reverts to being the #3. So, he’ll never see the field again unless lightning strikes twice, Rodgers goes down, then the #2 goes down…you know the rest and with our horrible luck, that sort of scenario happening again wouldn’t shock us at all.

Moving him to a team where he has some sort of chance in challenging  for the number 1 position makes sense. Minnesota (if cousins is gone), Atlanta, Indy, Vegas ( Garropolo gone), Steelers, Washington and Tennessee, come to mind.

Cross fingers one of these teams “see something special “ in Zach and offers JD like a #3, or dare I even write a #2, lol.

Having him going to sit behind a Mahommes or Purdy type team makes zero sense. These teams are set at the QB spot for the next 10 years. He’ll never play there either so he’d be better off staying with us and maybe just maybe improving by 2025. Plus, what would the likes of KC or SF trade us? A #4 at best? #4 picks rarely materialize to much. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Challenge with letting Becton walk is that we need to then fill both tackle spots in one offseason. Getting 1 good FA will be tricky enough; getting two will be nigh on impossible. So do you want to be boxed into having to select and start a draft pick? Or do we hope that one of Warren or Mitchell steps up next year?

Maybe his late dip in play will drop his price enough that we re-sign him for sensible money and he can compete at both tackle spots with whoever else we bring in (FA / draft). It also means we're not forced to start someone who isn't ready to go day one.

Becton has been poop this year.

I’d legitimately rather have a guy like Carter Warren out there over Becton.

The Jets just need to cut ties. Between the injuries, blaming the coaching staff and front office for said injuries, his thin skinned pussy nature and his largely abysmal play this year…you just let him walk and be done with it.

Sign a starting caliber OT in FA and draft one in the 1st round.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

And I don't really think JD or Saleh wants to deal with it anymore either.  Becton could be resigned but he'd be franchised and it still would be very expensive. He could probably get a deal for a few years elsewhere.  No way JD gives him a multi year deal.  And even if he franchises him, JD needs to find a competent backup since Becton just cant be relied on.  JD can not EFF this up next year.  Zach needs to go. Enough is enough. Cut, trade, release whatever. Just go away already. How many teams draft a bust QB and cut their losses. It's clearly evident Zach is not good enough, right now, to play QB in the NFL. Now he could emerge in the future like Geno has, but he'll bounce around for years.  

Hard to imagine JD tagging Becton after the way he's played. That said the tackle market sucks and they need to win now.

I could also totally see Becton holding out if tagged.

Becton has been poop this year.
I’d legitimately rather have a guy like Carter Warren out there over Becton.
The Jets just need to cut ties. Between the injuries, blaming the coaching staff and front office for said injuries, his thin skinned pussy nature and his largely abysmal play this year…you just let him walk and be done with it.
Sign a starting caliber OT in FA and draft one in the 1st round.
I've no idea who is going to be available in FA, but not optimistic they'll be better than Becton. Likely comes down to $.

I'm all for drafting one in Round 1, but am aware that JD likes to have flexibility. Which is why I think (fear?) we may overpay to keep Big Price Ticket.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Does it make sense financially and/or perception wise to get rid of Zach and Becton this offseason?

I know most of us think both will be gone, but I think we’re being unrealistic thinking JD will jettison his first two 1st round picks in the same offseason. I just don’t see that happening.

Don’t shoot the messenger please, just give me your thoughts! 😂

They didn’t use the fifth year option on becton so he’ll be a free agent.  I suppose they could offer him a prove it type of contract but nothing around what the top ten tackles are getting.  And he certainly started to play himself out of the nfl over these past few games.  Zach?  I believe they’re on the hook for his money unless he’s traded.  And even there they may have to pay his salary.  I don’t see them cutting him outright.  I am also one of the minority that still thinks Zach can be effective as a jet or in the nfl.  If he’s gone from the jets it’s possibly more of a case that there is some serious friction between him and saleh.  And we know saleh likes a quiet room with no dissension.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

This has seemed to be the board consensus all year.
I agreed for the longest time, but the more I think about it, I just can’t imagine JD giving up both guys he picked first in the draft in one offseason.

JD's ego might be in the way of logic. His ego is bigger than his gut and he is a mule. Both players are busts, relative to their draft cost.  49ers traded immense capital to move up to #3 to grab Lance.  They, unlike JD, don't have ego issues and knew Lance should be traded for whatever. JD?  No way he does that.  Fat ego that he has.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Does it make sense financially and/or perception wise to get rid of Zach and Becton this offseason?

I know most of us think both will be gone, but I think we’re being unrealistic thinking JD will jettison his first two 1st round picks in the same offseason. I just don’t see that happening.

Don’t shoot the messenger please, just give me your thoughts! 😂

Won’t be surprised in any way if bothe are Jets next year.

5 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

You could be correct but I can’t see how he can sell Zach to the team as a viable backup to Rodgers. Also Saleh and JD got a mulligan this season from Woody, they aren’t getting one next season, so I think they get serious about a competent backup QB.

Salad admitting they could have made better decisions this season translates to they should have traded for a better QB by the trade deadline.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fidelio Bitonti said:

If you can’t trade Wilson for at least a fifth round pick, then he comes back. End of story. The interesting saga will be Bectons journey I mean who would give him a high priced contract? Honestly, I’d like to see Beckin gone no matter what.

I think Becton takes anything to go to another team and start over.   He does not want to be on this team.  Some of that is ok, but it is not really acceptable that our medical staff did not do right by him.  More Woody.  

Nothwithstanding all of the contact had with Becton, Huff and Ashtyn Davis, we have no power over them anymore.  they can sign where they want unless we want to franchise them.   I hope we don’t end up needing them.  

The Jets have been trying to build an OL for 10 years,  There are never any viable FA OTs at least, and the good ones sign elsewhere, for less money.  

Becton is a Free Agent, as others have pointed out. His play hasn’t warranted a tag so I think he just leaves and signs elsewhere.

Zach is under contract another year, although we’ll clearly decline his option. I’d bet they try to trade him and what they do depends on if anyone bites. If they can get a pick I think he’s gone.

5 hours ago, genot said:

Getting rid of Wilson would be one in a long line of mistakes by this organization. Give him a line that can stay healthy and pass protect and run block and you have a QB that you can win with,  Becton, like almost everyone else on that line has been a dismal failure. They all need to go, except Tippman, and AVT. Even AVT, is someone you can't rely on. Can you?? How can any offense succeed with those kind of issues.

Lol

• Upvote 2

Looking forward to Zach becoming the 3 year version of Geno .. Becton .. always rooted for him .. but he's regressed since his rookie year.

The rest of the line can leave except Tipman and AVT .. AVT needs to stay healthy somehow .. one more lost season and it's time to show him the door too.

Max Mitchell , Schweitzer.. I guess keep around for depth.

50 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Looking forward to Zach becoming the 3 year version of Geno .. Becton .. always rooted for him .. but he's regressed since his rookie year.

The rest of the line can leave except Tipman and AVT .. AVT needs to stay healthy somehow .. one more lost season and it's time to show him the door too.

Max Mitchell , Schweitzer.. I guess keep around for depth.

AVT is getting is 5th year option extended based on potential .  So the Jets will guarantee another year, a fifth year, for AVT in March.  that year 5 is basically OT rate.  So JD will get to guarantee a guy who can really only play at G a year at OT money.  

8 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

It will be interesting to see the type of offers Vecton gets this offseason. I’d be surprised if he breaks the bank.

I’m not a fan of his, but if we can bring him back on a short term reasonable deal it might be worth a shot. He wasn’t very good this year, but after two missed seasons he stayed healthy. (I realize that’s a low bar, but it’s a big deal for our OL)

I agree. It’s anyone’s guess but I don't think he will break the bank. I was previously thinking 12m per year. But not sure about that any more. I think he ultimately signs a 1 year prove it deal for around $8m.

At RT, I would do that. 

• Upvote 1