Does Garrett Wilson want out?

32 minutes ago, heymangold said:

one of the big problems hitting on 3 first round picks (JJ, GW and SG) and then an early 2 in BH is that it's going to cost ALOT to keep em all.  next draft they gotta hit on the QB - keep the QB cap hit down and hope the talent you already have can carry.

It's a rationalization for not having too many picks all in one draft -- even though we love the idea on paper, because the team sucks ass in so many areas, for sustaining it they're better off trading for picks next year to keep an extra 1st rounder flowing instead of 2 extras once. Not to mention there are only so many rookie starters that most coaches are comfortable fielding at the same time. So there's almost a given that they were going to split those 4 high picks so 2 are offense and 2 are defense. It very much worked out, but the leak was that Douglas was trying to trade up as high as the mid-teens for JJII, which would've meant no Breece Hall at a minimum, but no one wanted to trade down. Surprisingly, he fell from a top 10 (some had as top 5 I'm sure) pre-draft grade down to the end of round 1. Or that was the story.

The flip side to giving one less swing at the plate by trading a pick for a higher one next year is - going 4 for 4 in 2022 aside - this FO isn't exactly batting 1.000 with its high picks.

***2020***

• 1st Becton
    • looked very promising as a rookie, but the story on him - justifiably - will forever be that he isn't Wirfs
  • 2nd Mims
    • total failure; caught a few longer passes with attention off him, but fwiw so did Stephen Hill

***2021***

• 1st Zach
    • count it even more, like 3 1st round picks and then some, considering the haul Miami got for the next pick, and how Zach was the one they reportedly wanted more than Lance
  • 1st AVT
    • more greatly versatile than singularly great at a position tbh, plus the elephant in the room being his injuries
    • cost not just a 1st, but a pair of day-2 picks as well
    • taking a guard this high may have dissuaded them from taking another IOL pick, after already adding 
  • 2nd Moore
    • considering the OL talent on the board at the time, and the Jets always needing OL. Then again van Roten ended up starting at RG, before getting benched for has-been Duvernay-Tardiff the Chiefs salary-dumped in trade for a nobody special teamer)

***2023***

• 1st McDonald
    • barely saw the field on the edge as a rookie, and lots of the limited snaps he did see was garbage time, despite Lawson missing the whole season and Clemons putting on 25 lbs to move inside
  • 2nd Tippmann
    • tbh was just passable for a rookie, but that's not uncommon; presumably passable isn't his ceiling

the offense is historic bad why would Wilson or Hall even want to stay? 

Why would anyone want to be drafted by the Jets, for that matter? 

We look at it from our perspective as fans but with 31 other options out there it's natural for young talent to want to shop their services on that free market everyone's always talking about 

if there was a better WR2/WR3 his life would be easier 

if there was a decent QB1 he'd have insane stats - they are already targeting him a ton 

but Wilson eventually shooting his way out of town is a predictable outcome, especially with an ancient mariner at QB and Lazard signed for another year 

Like every post I make this Wilson situation all traces back to the decision to draft Zach and what followed sign Aaron sign Lazard sign Cobb etc.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't be 100% surprised if the Jets traded him this off season. There were episodes with him and teammates including Rodgers where he seemed to lose composure. Although Rodgers has a lot of experience dealing with teammates esp wide receivers and getting them to chill and be more of the solution. 

Wilson probably wants to play for a coaching staff that helps him develop and win.   The formula for long term success in the NFL.  The Jets have a broken down old QB who's primary reason for coming to the Jets is the program is a country club and the coaches are his personal servants.   

If Wilson really wants to be a great WR and have a great career he definetely wants out.  This is a team for guys who want to do the minimum required to stick around and get a paycheck. 

• Haha 1

Imagine going from the greatness that is Ohio St football to this polar opposite s—t show. Total f—cking culture shock lol

I’d feel a little sorry for GW except he’s a very wealthy young man. Hopefully Jets turn it around and he goes down as their best WR ever 

What he said is basically a non-issue. Basically he said he isn't worried about the future, and right now just wants to be the best version of himself and help turn this thing around. Outside of saying outright I want to be a jet for life he basically couldn't have answered better from a Jets fan perspective. 

Wilson has been great throughout this entire sh*tty season. He never points blame, always is willing to take accountability, and isn't just saying I'm good so they need to figure out the rest of this sh*t around me. He is saying he was drafted high to turn this around and wants to do that. 

As far as the future - he is under contract for three years (we will exercise his option) - and he is a good enough player to franchise twice. That is five years of control from the Jets side. More importantly, after next year he can be extended and knows the team will have control over the next four years of his career. 

I don't really remember a case where a player was willing to forego a massive extension with his current team. I'm sure it has happened. Maybe Jalen Ramsey? But Deebo Samuel was basically outright saying he wouldn't play for SF again - and then signed a big extension. Jamal wanted to get paid and likely would have signed a large extension if JD offered him one. AJ Brown was reportedly offered a $16mm/yr deal with the Titans after guys like DJ Moore, Mike Williams, and Godwin had gotten $20mm/yr. 

Given the amount of injuries these guys face I think it would have to be catastrophic to get them to not take their first big contract if it is fair. 

This is a non story IMO. It shouldn't be an issue until at minimum next offseason when he is eligble for an extension. 

As far as keeping the 2022 draft class. It is definitely doable. All of their 5th year options would be during the 2026 season. Their extensions would be effective the 2027 season. The only player who has a contract that far out is Quinnen. Sauce is going to be the highest paid corner in the league when he gets extended. GW will earn a top WR contract. JJ is TBD. Hall, if extended will be a year earlier but top RB contracts are light compared to the rest of the positions. 

The Dolphins are paying Tyreek the most money of any WR. They are paying Jalen Ramsey the 3rd most money of any CB (and Xavian Howard the 7th). Chubb and T Armstead are both top 10 contracts at their position. 

49ers are paying Trent Williams the 3rd largest OT contract. Bosa the largest edge contract. CMC the largest RB contract. Deebo is 7th WR contract. Fred Warner the 2nd largest LB contract. Hargrave the 6th largest DT contract. 

The Jets can make this work. It will be a lot easier if the team has a good year next year and they get Sauce and GW out of the way early. Their value will go up every year. Sauce is the best corner in the league he'll break the record - its a no brainer. Get it done early. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I wouldn't be 100% surprised if the Jets traded him this off season. There were episodes with him and teammates including Rodgers where he seemed to lose composure. Although Rodgers has a lot of experience dealing with teammates esp wide receivers and getting them to chill and be more of the solution. 

if the Jets trade Garrett Wilson this off season I'll eat my own dick.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Ask yourself this… if you were a young, gifted NFL player like GW, or Sauce, why wouldn’t you look to get away from the Jets as soon as you could?

I'd fine the first young lady with Mono and get my kissy on!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

I think, Rodgers comes back, he has a real QB, he puts up 13, 14 hundred yards.

He gets his extension, he is happy to be a Jet for another 6, 7 years.

I think his first contract coincides with Rodgers as his QB.

I think he’s saying… I’m gone if you can’t figure out a QB after Rodgers. ✌️ 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

a person could write a PhD dissertation on who was a worse pick, Mims or Hill? 

On one hand, Stephen Hill caught 2 TD in his first game as a rookie, Denzel Mims has never caught an NFL TD, Hill has 45 career receptions, Mims 42 

on the other, Hill only had 2 seasons of scholarship while Mims got 3 which qualifies him for NFL pension and healthcare for the rest of his life 

Hill was a Tanny pick, then Idzik comes in 2013. If Tanny stayed so would have Hill one would imagine. Like how JD gutlessly kept Mims around for 3 seasons (and a 4th preseason) 

a really tough call I want to say Hill had that one game and therefore had a better career but both were just awful

thank you for listening to my ted talk about topics no one but me thinks about 

You are by favorite poster to read when you just do you. It's pretty awesome. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

You are by favorite poster to read when you just do you. It's pretty awesome. 

thanks my 2024 new years resolution is to achieve ego death, possibly in a darkness retreat 

funny or die fusion GIF by gethardshow

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

the offense is historic bad why would Wilson or Hall even want to stay? 

What's up with Breece Hall tweeting "get you laughs on us, now because next year yada yada yada..."

I thought that was weird.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

a person could write a PhD dissertation on who was a worse pick, Mims or Hill? 

On one hand, Stephen Hill caught 2 TD in his first game as a rookie, Denzel Mims has never caught an NFL TD, Hill has 45 career receptions, Mims 42 

on the other, Hill only had 2 seasons of scholarship while Mims got 3 which qualifies him for NFL pension and healthcare for the rest of his life 

Hill was a Tanny pick, then Idzik comes in 2013. If Tanny stayed so would have Hill one would imagine. Like how JD gutlessly kept Mims around for 3 seasons (and a 4th preseason) 

a really tough call I want to say Hill had that one game and therefore had a better career but both were just awful

thank you for listening to my ted talk about topics no one but me thinks about 

Neither had a clue how to run a route. At least Hill tried. Mims is a ******* malingering dog and now out of the league.

• Upvote 1